Team-BHP - Delhi parking lot to auction off abandoned vehicles
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Delhi parking lot to auction off abandoned vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/111297-delhi-parking-lot-auction-off-abandoned-vehicles.html)

Delhi parking lot faces a peculiar problem:

Quote:

Cars parked inside the Asaf Ali Road underground parking for the past one decade will soon be put to auction by the MCD to create more parking space.

After making all efforts to reach out to the owners of these vehicles, the MCD will soon be coming up with a public notice to auction the 237-odd vehicles.

The civic agency claims that the owners do not come forward to reclaim their vehicles as their parking dues are much more than the market price of the cars.
Source & Full Article - Hindustan Times

Never thought this would happen in India. Any exotics or imports there ? Time to make a quick deal, at least for the parts' sake.

Stationary for 10 years. Only worth the metal and nothing more

If a car has not been started for a decade, does it still has chance to run again normally (keeping cost of necessary part changes low)? Would there be any safety problem?

Doubt you'll find any classic there, it'll mostly be rusting M800s with a few Esteems thrown in ;)

237 Vehicles is a huge number and just wondering why people would abandon their vehicles like this in a parking place. That too in a paid parking. Also, not sure how this auction will go ahead if they are not able to reach the owner because the car has to be re-registered on the buyers name.

What will be the conditions of these vehicle after being idle for soo long?? Is it worth buying these kind of cars. There is a car parked in my apartment for more than a year(may be more than that because i moved here one year back) and whenever I see that car, I feel bad for car. It looks like all parts has to be replaced to bring back to the running condition. So, I don't think there will be takers for a decade old car in idle state.

Guess whatever is a worth would not be available as would be go to those having some influence. And the rest available would be of scrap value!

Cheers!

I doubt the legality of this move. I mean, when you park at a paid parking lot, you read the statement "Parking at owner's risk" etc either on a board or on the parking ticket. Is there a fine print somewhere, which says - if you don't pickup your vehicle after n days, we have the right to sell your vehicle? I doubt.

Getting the local police involved and getting those vehicles towed out of the lot, sounds reasonable.

It would be sold as scrap. Thats the only way to sell them off. And precisely why the owners are not interested in coming forward and taking there car because the Parking fees/fines will be in excess of the scrap value of the car. Who knows if some of these cars are the kinds which are used in some crime and then just left stranded.

I'll be surprised if all the cars even have all the mechanicals in place!

I'm sure by know some or other part (wipers, lamps, tyres, seats etc.) from the cars might have been lifted by someone in need - that's how most of the abondaned vehicles turn up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDP (Post 2584192)
I doubt the legality of this move. I mean, when you park at a paid parking lot, you read the statement "Parking at owner's risk" etc either on a board or on the parking ticket. Is there a fine print somewhere, which says - if you don't pickup your vehicle after n days, we have the right to sell your vehicle? I doubt.

I don't think this should be a problem - even the cops auction abandoned/seized vehicles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun_josie (Post 2584142)
237 Vehicles is a huge number and just wondering why people would abandon their vehicles like this in a parking place. That too in a paid parking.

Because it ain't theirs :D , at least most won't be. This parking has acted as a stopover for car-jackers for long while taking cars from states like Haryana, Rajasthan, HP etc. to Nepal, UP-East, Bihar, Orissa and NE states.

Even if the cops were to roll out a list of regn numbers of these cars I don't think more than 5-10% of owners from across India would be coming forward. Alternatively if the same was done for the chassis/engine no.s and if the owner had this info with them you'd be surprised on how many stolen cars would be recovered.

Car-jackers rarely run on original plates and what you'd find on most of them would be a different regn. number plate and a photocopy of an FIR stating that original RC of the vehicle was misplaced or something.

Not sure why its big news, Tis Hazari court generally do such for two wheelers kept in Police custody where no one came back for claim. They do auctions and re-register it with new owner name. Now the game is, those who are involved in auctions, generally keep good vechicles with them either for themself or their relatives. I remember this becuase I got call once for the same when I was searching for second hand bike for someone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by singhsid (Post 2584137)
Doubt you'll find any classic there, it'll mostly be rusting M800s with a few Esteems thrown in ;)

If at all there are any vehicles worth buying, it will be gone in "vaastha" quota.

If there are good old Jeeps that would make a good but for someone who would like to restore. Any idea on a list of what vehicles are available for auction ?

Could any Delhi BHPians staying nearby take a look and post the vehicles available ?

I think according to regulations, the concerned authority will have to publish a list of all vehicles that are up for auction in major newspapers.