Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 12:56   #16
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Thread To Clear Up All Your Warranty FAQs

Akshay

Nice Thread.

A few points:

1) When one puts seatcovers on seats with side Airbags then the company is indeed justified in voiding the warranty for the Airbags as their deployment becomes unpredictable. Though one should quite confidently go ahead and do what one wants with seats without Airbags, and anyways most models with side airbags come with leather seats. The problem would be when one does not like the specific shade or quality of Leather.

2) Air Filters - it does become a matter of relationship with the Dealer SA. The Cars definately can handle filters with better airflow, but in theory one is supposed to get the car serviced only at the authorized centre so there is no question of replacing the Airfilter with any thing that is not standard. Yet logically a direct replacement filter should be manageable, and if case something does go wrong one can simply remove the replacement filter and put back the standard one (only if something goes wrong.) The thing is that the service history needs to show that the Air Filter provided by the company was indeed replaced at the prescribed intervals. This can go either way even without the seperate kit which is a bit no no.

3) Tuning boxes are safe as long as they are removed when sent for service. (Especially if something is wrong with engine related components.) Some boxes like those from Race Dynamics have a remote that lets one select the a setting that makes the car work as without a box. We just need to put the box in that mode before giving it for service and keep the box and wiring hidden from obvious view - it is possible (behind the battery). The safest thing to do of course is to remove the box. The trace cannot be detected from the ECU.

4) Tyres are again an issue that can go both ways. Actually those with normal suspension need not worry too much as the suspension anyways is quite robust and most things go wrong when they are actually out of warranty. (nope it is not 3/4 years but generally 30-50k kms for those parts.) The issue is where one has some advanced drive train stuff like AWD, 4X4, AT, ESP, TC etc, where technically the load on the system would be different due to the different kind of tyres/ rims that are used. The companies may trouble us a bit in those cases. But as Akshay says a +1 size upgrade would normally be quite safe.

5) Lastly for the Infotainment system - The case of replacement HU with standard wiring and no wires cut is quite safe. The issue is that some HU are great and integrate well with the steering mounted controls, reverse camera, sat nav etc and they just need an external AMP / better speakers or an added Sub to boost the sound thump or clarity. In most cases one does not get a standard bypass socket to fit the HU of high end cars. One needs a bypass socket to get the signal across to the amp. Also most technicians tend to take power for the amp from easier to access areas - cutting wires - rather than running a longer wire from the Battery. This is a problem area definately. Though if one takes the route of not cutting wires - possible in lower spec variant - definately one should be fine. (A similar problem will exist for Head Rest or roof mounted DVD screens - the audio to car system is though a FM signal and is quite safe, but the power if taken by cutting wires will void the warranty. The solution is to take power from the cigarette lighter socket.

6) Lights of same wattage are indeed safe, but anything that is higher wattage and cuts wires will be a problem. In theory even a seperate wire setup can be objected to but most will permit it. The Philips DRL system seems to be a safe add on as mentioned by Akshay.

Superb thread covers all bases.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 20:04   #17
Team-BHP Support

ACM spot on about all. Except the tuning boxes are not recommended for BMWs, not because they will cause harm but because it is detectable even after removing. That is on all cars, but on BMWs when they are sent in for service the diagnostic is connected to a central BMW server where all the values are uploaded. So if anyone does check it out there they will come to know.

Also this thread needed a little bump, still many warranty questions flying about on the forum.
Old 30th May 2017, 19:17   #18
BHPian

Hi guys,

Any one has a idea on how lenient or strict VW is when it comes to fitting after market rear cameras on the car ( OEM HU to be the display)? My vendor has assured that there will be no wire cutting and hence no voiding of warranty.

Considering its VW and also that the car is a GT TSi i wonder if its worth the risk. VW is charging 9 k for it and my accessories guy is charging 2k for the same.
Old 13th October 2017, 13:32   #19
BHPian

Isuzu india is rejecting warranty on a genuine case of a broken foldable right side mirror on my MU7 where the damage is internal to the motor area plastics. They are being very stubborn on a very genuine claim. what do you guys suggest to do now?
Old 13th October 2017, 16:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Isuzu india is rejecting warranty on a genuine case of a broken foldable right side mirror on my MU7 where the damage is internal to the motor area plastics. They are being very stubborn on a very genuine claim. what do you guys suggest to do now?
Did they state any reason for rejecting the warranty? Are they saying 'the internal motor was damaged due to accident/manhandling'?
If so, then the only hope left is to claim insurance IMHO - happened to me with my Verna, the external mirror had unavoidable scratches (my car runs 50kms on an average daily through mad, rush hour NCR traffic) and the dealer just won't agree to honor the warranty for the mirror which failed to fold electrically.
Old 9th January 2018, 12:48   #21
BHPian

Hi Folks

A query on Warranties. Skoda offers a 2 year/unlimited Kms warranty on all genuine parts replaced at the Skoda workshop irrespective of whether the car is under warranty or not.

Do any of the other car manufacturers offer such a warranty on parts replaced ?
Old 9th January 2018, 14:48   #22
BHPian

Great Thread and much needed one.

I had asked the same question on the Forum. When I was buying celerio, Dealer asked me to sign a declaration that Warranty will be void as I was not buying Music system and Speakers from them.

I wanted to know if this is Maruti requirement or the dealer is trying to intimidate us thus we end up signing the same or buying accessories at exhorbitant prices.

I am yet to get a reply from them on this matter and will be approaching Maruti soon to know what is their stand.
Old 19th January 2018, 10:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
Hi Folks

A query on Warranties. Skoda offers a 2 year/unlimited Kms warranty on all genuine parts replaced at the Skoda workshop irrespective of whether the car is under warranty or not.

Do any of the other car manufacturers offer such a warranty on parts replaced ?
Just found that Toyota only offers a 6 month/10,000kms warranty on the replaced parts.
Old 1st October 2020, 11:51   #24
BHPian

Hi.

Our Wagonr has completed 20k kms in 1 year and 10 months. Took it for periodic service to MASS a couple of days ago. I told the SA that there was a little trouble in applying 3rd gear. And after completing the service, the SA told me that the gear cable has to be replaced. The gear cable costs Rs. 1600. When I asked him whether the replacement shall be done under warranty, he told that it was not possible. Could someone please let me know whether the replacement can be done under warranty or not?

Thank you.
Old 1st October 2020, 12:04   #25
BANNED

Wonderful thread, this needs to be a pinned thread.
Old 15th February 2022, 12:30   #26
BHPian

Thanks for this thread. I am in a predicament.

I had bought a Skoda Superb last year, and to my horror, I found the battery completely flat over this weekend. I hadn't driven the car for 10 days given the rise in COVID cases nearby.

The service center folks claim that the battery wont charge, and needs to be replaced. They are refusing warranty on this citing that I had installed dashcams.

Yes, I have installed dash cameras, but I have NOT hard wired them, and have used the cigarette lighter port to power them.

Given that Superb's accessory ports are on even after the car is switched off & locked, I always unplug them post the journey.

This time, I forgot to unplug them, and I can understand that the battery being discharged can be because of this, even though the A.S.S claim that the ports turn off after 20 minutes of stopping & locking the car.

What I cannot understand is how this caused damage to the battery.

Any advice? Is this a fair claim on their side? I do not believe so, and hence I'm pushing them to replace it on warranty.
Old 15th February 2022, 14:53   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
Thanks for this thread. I am in a predicament.

Any advice? Is this a fair claim on their side? I do not believe so, and hence I'm pushing them to replace it on warranty.
Battery warranty is given by Battery OEM manufacturer directly and hands of car dealers and OEM is tied here. They can only try to convince the battery OEM but cannot make a decision.
fazayal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 08:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

We have purchased New TVS Jupiter Smart connect on 07-12-2022.

I don't trust any ASC for any Service on the vehicle.

After reading the horror stories of various Vehicles posted on our Forum, my belief is getting stronger day by day.
1. The Mechanics/SAs riding/driving our vehicles given for Service/Repairs fearlessly and God Forbid Crashing them and telling the vehicle owners to claim insurance.

2. Removing new parts from the vehicles which came for service, and installing them in other vehicles is also infamous practice.

3. Mistreating our vehicles while carrying out the required service.

Now I believe the Modern Day Machines are Reliable and Problem-Free.

What if I myself carry out the Service on our Jupiter (Replacing Oils, Air Filter)?
I know my Warranty will get void.

Is it really worth taking the risk and getting the Jupiter serviced from ASC to retain warranty? I don't think it is that Very Complex Electronics have been used in Jupiter.

I am not afraid about the cost involved in getting the Jupiter serviced from ASC (I guess each Service would cost me just Rs. 1000-1500/-). But it is the above 3 points (add more if I have forgotten).

I have spent One Big One for buying it so Rs. 1000-2000/- for regular Service every 3-4 months is not a big deal.

Bhpians, your views please.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 24th December 2022 at 08:27.
Old 6th August 2023, 17:43   #29

I have a KIA Carens 2023 model in Bangalore. I want to change the steering wheel of my carens to a Toyota Fortuner like Gazoo Racing type carbon fiber steering wheel. Will that void any of my car warranty?
Old 17th October 2023, 07:33   #30

Does changing the DRLs void warranty? Wanted to change the stock DRLs to the ones that change colour and blink if the turn indicator is on. But worried about the warranty

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks