Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2011, 21:10   #46
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI?

Been seeing a convoy of VW - Skoda Cars on the Mumbai - Navi Mumbai for some time now. Earlier there used to be a Touareg in the midst. But the last time it was only Jettas, Polos and Fabia. The Jetta seemed to be a real stonker and had only the TSi badging as a distinguishing factor. It was the Trendline Version.
I couldnt figure out anything different on the Polo or the Fabia. Both seemed very slow in comparison to the Jetta ofcourse. Are there any engine upgrades expected on the 2 models?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI?-jetta-petrol.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI?-img2011121700155.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI?-img2011121700150.jpg  

Old 19th December 2011, 07:04   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
Are there any engine upgrades expected on the 2 models?
Can they be the 1.5L diesel versions?
Thats the only engine upgrade I can think about.
Old 20th December 2011, 00:44   #48
BHPian

The rear badging on the Fabia read HTP (High Torque Petrol). So unless they are trying to fool the general public, I guess it should be a petrol engine car. Perhaps an engine upgrade or some added features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Can they be the 1.5L diesel versions?
Thats the only engine upgrade I can think about.
Old 26th December 2011, 13:39   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks. I have also heard rumours of the VW Jetta coming with a 1.4 TSI. Performance could easily match the Civic & Altis, while the value equation would be unbeatable (if priced well, of course). However, VW will have three main challenges with the 1.4 TSI motor:

- The image of a "1.4". Most mass-market customers gauge the value of an engine by the "cc". This wouldn't work the Jetta's way in the premium segment.

- A complication in brand positioning where VW is using an inferior engine to the Skoda Laura (1.8 TSI).

- Price : If the 1.4 TSI is significantly cheaper than the diesel, well, it could make the diesel look severely over-priced. On the other hand, a 1.4 TSI can't be priced too close (within 2 lakhs of the diesel) as you get 1.8 TSIs for the money.
My understanding of 'mass market' requirements from a car is as follows:

Fuel Efficiency: First of all, for the mass market, lower cc = higher 'Kitna deti hai' (my father is 'Mass market' even though I might not be). So The Jetta 1.4TSi with better 'Kitna deti hai' and the same power/torque as the Laura 1.8TSi is more desirable than the Laura. A lower price than Laura should help it make more dents into the Civic/Altis pie.

Power: Secondly, Altis uses the immensely underpowered 88bhp 1.4 D4D VGT. Doesn't do as well as it potentially can because it is severely overpriced. This would make Toyota price it more sensibly in the future. (considering that the same engine sits inside the Etios/Liva engine bay with a FGT. I mean, how much more to VGTs cost?) This is not the case with the 140bhp Diesel Jetta.

Price: Petrol cars are as it is not doing well. A bit lower pricing and a bit higher FE will only help a car's prospects. And anyways, I don't think the 2.5lac price difference between the Petrol and Diesel Superb is hurting the Diesel Superb in any way. As you said, petrol cars compete with fellow petrols, not diesels.

As for VWs point of view, The 1.4TSi can be used in a 122PS form inside the Vento too. Making a Vento Sport trim.

OR they can replace the 1.6 Polo with a 105 PS 1.2TSi Polo and still keep availing small car benefits. More margin for VW, More FE for the car, more value to the customer.
Old 26th December 2011, 14:34   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
As for VWs point of view, The 1.4TSi can be used in a 122PS form inside the Vento too. Making a Vento Sport trim.
I am dreaming of the same thing. Even a thought of the 1.4 TSI under the Vento's hood gives me goosebumps. However, given the current state of the petrol car market, it seems a bit unlikely that they will replace the 1.6 with a more expensive petrol engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
OR they can replace the 1.6 Polo with a 105 PS 1.2TSi Polo and still keep availing small car benefits. More margin for VW, More FE for the car, more value to the customer.
This seems more likely, as the 1.2 TSI will fall in the 'under the 1.2 Liters, under 4 meters' category. It will be much more fun to drive and fuel efficient as well. But again, I'm a bit skeptical if they will introduce any petrol variants given the current market state.

Coming back to the Jetta, if VW have an understanding with Skoda that their cars will be positioned as more premium in comparison with Skoda, VW would do better with a 1.8 TSI. They don't want to end up pricing the Jetta above the Laura with a smaller, less powerful engine.
Old 26th December 2011, 17:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

I dont think a 1.4TSi/1.2TSi engine is gonna come to India pretty soon. It's pretty advanced tech stuff which will not suit the low quality fuel we get in our petrol pumps. High failure rate in DSGs is already making a bad name for Skoda, dont think they want to risk their name with the engine as well.

Plus in India, half the people still are looking for cubic capacity in a engine - they still think a 2.0 litre engine will outrun a 1.5 litre.

Also, with the current fuel prices & sales trends - there is no incentive for any manufacturer to spend a lot of money to bring in cutting edge petrol tech to India as either its not going to sell or its not going to make money for the company.

The manufacturers should rather concentrate on bringing AT boxes to mid-size diesel sedans/ premium hatches if they want to make money.
Old 26th December 2011, 20:15   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I dont think a 1.4TSi/1.2TSi engine is gonna come to India pretty soon. It's pretty advanced tech stuff which will not suit the low quality fuel we get in our petrol pumps. High failure rate in DSGs is already making a bad name for Skoda, dont think they want to risk their name with the engine as well.
+1. But then why are they testing the same in India? Or are they all 1.8 TSI engines?

Quote:
Plus in India, half the people still are looking for cubic capacity in a engine - they still think a 2.0 litre engine will outrun a 1.5 litre.
Bang on. People don't even see what fits there requirements. I was travelling with my Dad and his friend who had bought a new Cruze 6 months back. He mocked our decision to go for the Altis because of the "kamzoor" engine as compared to the cruze. But to my amusement in 6 months he has just driven his car for 1300kms which includes one trip to shimla since he feels its too crowded in the city to drive a big car and also the FE is a dismal 10kmpl. As a result he continues to drive his Honda City.
BTW mine has done 4500 kms in less then 3 months!

Quote:
The manufacturers should rather concentrate on bringing AT boxes to mid-size diesel sedans/ premium hatches if they want to make money.
How I hope they bring in the Vento TDI with an AT box.

Last edited by drmohitg : 26th December 2011 at 20:16.
Old 26th December 2011, 20:19   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
+1. But then why are they testing the same in India? Or are they all 1.8 TSI
Dont think there has been a confirmation of it being a 1.4, just wishful thinking. I suspect its a 1.8 under the hood.
Old 3rd January 2012, 21:40   #54
BHPian

Any idea what variants are expected for the petrol Jetta? Wish its in the same price region as the Laura TSI ambiente and with some more features as the laura ambiente is scarcely equipped with some basic features missing like even steering mounted audio controls and aux port. Wish the same story doesn't continue in the Jetta TSI as it would just mean a different badge with similar car like rapid-vento!

Last edited by magikrider : 3rd January 2012 at 21:43.
Old 10th January 2012, 23:44   #55
BHPian

No news of the vw jetta tsi on the auto expo? Weren't they supposed to reveal the petrol variant of the jetta?
Old 21st March 2012, 13:21   #56
BHPian

Finally some news!!! Its the 1.4l TSI with 120 bhp for the jetta!! Launch expected in April!! Hope it comes with the DSG and Auto climate control!!

New Jetta Petrol launch in April - News - Autocar India

Last edited by vinj14 : 21st March 2012 at 13:23.
vinj14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 13:25   #57
BHPian

New Jetta Petrol launch in April - News - Autocar India

ACI claims the launch of the 1.4 TSi Jetta around late-April. Perfect timing to get in a 1.4L engine by VW, it's a good performer, will be really efficient and not to mention the excise benefits it will enjoy in the C+ segment where almost all the chief competitors are 1.8L Altis, Civic and the likes.

Price it well, VW could breathe back life into the dying petrol car market.

Regards,
Old 21st March 2012, 13:34   #58
Team-BHP Support

Just because it has a smaller capacity engine, I am not sure if
they would price it lower than others. Look at the Altis Diesel. They may go same route
and may keep the price as it is or at most just a bit lower. But they would play the new technology advantage card game.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:05   #59
Senior - BHPian

Cmon VW make us happy and do the following-

1. Price the TDI lower and give the Highline much needed features such as ACC, bluetooth and a Sunroof (maybe I'm just asking for too much)
2. Offer the TSI at the price of a Similar Specced Corolla. And do not act stingy on the features like you did with the Diesel Highline. There is no reason why the VW cars should cost more than the competition except for maybe the DSG which is a superb technology. The Interiors of VWs these days carry the same quality of plastics as the Japs.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

I don't see why would the Jetta 1.4 Tsi find that many more takers over the Laura petrol. The Laura has a more powerful petrol engine with similar features and build quality and it will inevitably be positioned/priced below the Jetta.

I speculate that the Jetta will be launched only in the Trendline and Comfortline trim with the 6-speed manual gearbox and priced between 13 and 15.5 lakhs on-road Mumbai.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks