Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 13:24   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
The manual says minimum 95 RON for a reason.
For the record, the fuel lid on my Laura TSI says "unleaded 91/ 95 RON" . THe 1.8 TSI works fine with 91 RON. The 1.4 TSI in 122 hp state of tune should also have similar requirements.
Old 27th March 2012, 22:42   #107
Senior - BHPian

Just read the review of Ford 999cc engine. It's similar to what ivtec from Honda delivers for City 1.5 L engine.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/ford/focus...5-zetec-driven

Food for thought, times has changed, time for change.
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 14:08   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Just read the review of Ford 999cc engine. It's similar to what ivtec from Honda delivers for City 1.5 L engine.

Ford Focus 1.0T 125 Zetec driven full road test car review - BBC Top Gear - BBC Top Gear

Food for thought, times has changed, time for change.
Sure, the ecosport engine and TSi - both are nice technologies and that's always welcome.

If I am looking for a 120BHP car, I would buy a 1.4L TSi (with 200Nm flat torque) rather than a 1.8L old tech engine generating similar power and lower (that too unusable) torque.

But if I am looking for a 160BHP, 250NM car, then that's what I will buy (read "1.8 TSi).
Old 28th March 2012, 14:13   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye

But if I am looking for a 160BHP, 250NM car, then that's what I will buy (read "1.8 TSi).
Brother, you said it. If you are in for market and engine option is available then why not. Sadly, India does not get all the flavor of ice-creams
Old 28th March 2012, 15:47   #110
BHPian

I'm going to be tracking this thread closely. Before I booked the Laura RS earlier this month, the Jetta was obviously right up there in my consideration set. I had TDed her extensively. Without stating the obvious, suffice it is to say that she handles just short of a dream and yet I had the unmistakable feeling that somewhere the 'wow' factor was missing. For me, she fell short of the previous generation at least in handling and driveability (not to mention the build quality.) I suspected perhaps a TSI motor mated to a DSG would do the trick.

In sufficiently keeping with the true VW tradition also, I found the TL trim just too spartan and stripped down and was therefore out the window. No DSG on the CL was a deal breaker for me. Bad omission I thought - 'zee Germans' clearly missed a trick there. The real deal i.e. the HL is just no VFM. Ergo as a thoroughbred petrolhead, I was eagerly tracking the much-anticipated/hotly-contested launch of the TSI Jetta. So I'm happy VW has decided, albeit a little late, to fill that void. And I hope this is the one time they will shun their tradition and price it boldly and not skimp on the DSG, ACC, full leather interiors etc. Trying to position it as a superior counterpart of their Skoda/Seat cousins (the Laura in India) might not be the best strategy for the TSI, considering it is now pretty much comfirmed that it will house the 1.4 mill de-tuned to 120 bhp. Make no mistake: a 1.4 is no issue at all but the state of (de)tune is clear evidence that they've picked efficiency over performance. That move alone is likely to send a lot of potential buyers Skoda's/GM's/Honda's way.
Old 29th March 2012, 09:48   #111
Team-BHP Support

The 1.4 TSI might also be in line with VW overall group's requirements.
Given the fact that Skoda plans to come up with an SUV spec'ed lower than Yeti with a 1.5L
diesel and similar petrol, its not a bad supposition that this same 1.4 TSI may find its way
there for the petrol version. At best they may de-tune the engine for that product.

Do they plan to manufacture the 1.4TSI in India? Because I see this engine becoming their
bread and butter petrol engine for a range of mid-to-high end products.
Old 29th March 2012, 10:13   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The 1.4 TSI might also be in line with VW overall group's requirements.
Given the fact that Skoda plans to come up with an SUV spec'ed lower than Yeti with a 1.5L
diesel and similar petrol, its not a bad supposition that this same 1.4 TSI may find its way
there for the petrol version. At best they may de-tune the engine for that product.
Well yes, it can actually find its way to the Yeti. Here in Singapore, the 2WD Yeti comes with the 1.2TSI motor (105bhp). But I doubt if they really will try to do a Petrol Yeti in India.
Old 29th March 2012, 10:42   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Well yes, it can actually find its way to the Yeti. Here in Singapore, the 2WD Yeti comes with the 1.2TSI motor (105bhp). But I doubt if they really will try to do a Petrol Yeti in India.
That is why I was referring if VW has plans to manufacture lowered displacement TSI engines, 1.4 to start with, they may start sharing this engine with products across the board.
Add to it, if 1.2 as makes it, then it would add further boost. The question is what are VW's the manufacturing plans.

Last edited by ampere : 29th March 2012 at 10:43.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 17:17   #114
BHPian

All said and done, the 1.4 TSI debuting on the Jetta will likely kick off a welcome trend within the VW group stable. It's high time those lousy 1.2, 3-pot engines are buried in the engineering graveyard and replaced with the 1.2 TSIs across the Polo and the Fabia range. Hell in a slightly different state of tune, they're worthy enough to be plonked inside the Vento and the Rapid as well. It might actually bring economies of scale in the group's offering.

VW, are you listening??
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:42   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Finally some confirmation on the arrival of 1.4 TSI. I wont be surprised if VW get this into the Laura as well (and keep 1.8 only for the vRS).
Precisely the reason I went ahead and got me a Laura TSI when the big discounts started coming. I have the same feeling that the 1.8 Tsi motor will go away (except from the vRS range) in the interest of popular trends (diesels/smaller petrols). VW has started acting on the current trend by getting in this smaller, more efficient and just about par-powerful petrol for the Jetta. Makes complete commercial/business sense. To my mind, they'll price it there and thereabout Laura Petrol.
skjlives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:45   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
VW has started acting on the current trend by getting in this smaller, more efficient and just about par-powerful petrol for the Jetta. Makes complete commercial/business sense. To my mind, they'll price it there and thereabout Laura Petrol.
Only time will tell. IMHO, they have to price it around the Laura else they could be up against it. On the other hand with the right pricing and some goodies thrown in like a DSG and a considerable kit over the current version, they could potentially kill it. Remember, premium car buyers just love automatics and the accompanying bells and whistles!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 2nd April 2012 at 13:47.
Old 12th April 2012, 16:59   #117
BHPian

Knock knock people!! This thread seems to have gone gone absolutely dormant. I was closely tracking this one but either Volkswagen has kept the TSI launch tightly under wraps or the event itself is delayed. We're almost hitting the middle of April and there seems to be no word on the street/intel on the forum/spy shots pinched. Most unusual for T-BHP...

Btw made a casual inquiry at the dealership here: the response reeked of feigned ignorance although, to give them a slight benefit of the doubt, it could've as well been total clueless-ness.

Has anyone heard anything yet??
Old 12th June 2012, 09:56   #118
BHPian

Update: Jetta 1.4 TSI launched at midnight. The specs are 121bhp, 4 cyl 1.4 TSi, 200Nm, 6-speed manual.
All the auto journalists are tweeting about it. Prices to be announced today, it seems.
Old 12th June 2012, 12:08   #119
Senior - BHPian

Autocar has already put a review of the TSI
Volkswagen Jetta TSi review, test drive - Review - Autocar India

"However, there is some turbo-lag and you will need to snap down a gear when you need to pull away quickly. There is no replacement for sheer displacement, so the 1.4-simply doesn't have the bottom-end torque of the bigger 1.8 TSI. "

It still does a ton in a very respectable 10.5 seconds. Let see what the pricing is.
Old 12th June 2012, 14:45   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I speculate that the Jetta will be launched only in the Trendline and Comfortline trim with the 6-speed manual gearbox and priced between 13 and 15.5 lakhs on-road Mumbai.
So now VW does seem to have broadened its market by launching the Jetta 1.4Tsi TL and CL variants. I think the Jetta would mainly find takers who would be chauffeured around in considering the tremendous leg room it offers at the back. Also, those who dislike the diesel clatter are the ones who are going to line up for the petrol Jetta. The 1.4Tsi might not provide earth shattering performance but is adequate from what I have derived from the autocar review and hence would be a perfect car to be chauffeured around in IMO.

Last edited by S2!!! : 12th June 2012 at 14:46.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks