Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2012, 15:16   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI?

Finally some confirmation on the arrival of 1.4 TSI. I wont be surprised if VW get this into the Laura as well (and keep 1.8 only for the vRS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I speculate that the Jetta will be launched only in the Trendline and Comfortline trim with the 6-speed manual gearbox and priced between 13 and 15.5 lakhs on-road Mumbai.
I am expecting the 1.4 TSI to come with the 7-speed DSG
Old 21st March 2012, 15:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Finally some confirmation on the arrival of 1.4 TSI. I wont be surprised if VW get this into the Laura as well (and keep 1.8 only for the vRS).

Makes so much sense ! Keep the 1.8 for the VRS only. Also with the next gen Octavia out next year this is probably one of those repositioning exercises that they are indulging in.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st March 2012 at 16:42. Reason: fixing the quoted post tags.
Old 21st March 2012, 16:12   #63
Senior - BHPian

A 1.4 TSi is fine but only with 120PS ? Even a Honda City is more powerful. It should atleast match the numbers of the competiton in this segment - Civic/Laura.
Old 21st March 2012, 16:35   #64
Team-BHP Support

This is an excellent move by VW. The 1.4 TSI maybe only 122PS but the talking point about this engine is fuel efficiency and torque which equates to driveability.

Going forward all manufacturers will look at low cubic capacity but high output motors. These have advantages of excise benefits and better FE.

The engine is small in capacity but is a pretty complex unit so the excise benefit may not be passed to the customer. A petrol engine costing 1L lesser than diesel but giving similar FE to diesel may actually work.
Old 21st March 2012, 18:35   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The few people who buy the Laura in its petrol avatar is for the stonking performance of the 1.8 TSI. That is its USP.

What is the USP of the 1.4 TSI? Fuel effeciency and low running cost? The Jetta with a 1.4 TSI will definitely not be cheaper to run than the diesels for sure. Unless it is priced significantly lower than the diesels, it really won't make much economic sense. Knowing VW they are highly unlikely to price it below the Laura TSI.

Yes, if they offer the 1.4 TSI with a good auto tranny then it will make sense for people who are looking to buy an AT in this segment at a lower price point and don't want to stretch all the way to 22-23L which is the price for a Jetta Diesel AT.

Expect very low numbers and huge discounts to be announced very soon
Old 21st March 2012, 18:49   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The few people who buy the Laura in its petrol avatar is for the stonking performance of the 1.8 TSI. That is its USP.

What is the USP of the 1.4 TSI? Fuel effeciency and low running cost? The Jetta with a 1.4 TSI will definitely not be cheaper to run than the diesels for sure. Unless it is priced significantly lower than the diesels, it really won't make much economic sense. Knowing VW they are highly unlikely to price it below the Laura TSI.

Yes, if they offer the 1.4 TSI with a good auto tranny then it will make sense for people who are looking to buy an AT in this segment at a lower price point and don't want to stretch all the way to 22-23L which is the price for a Jetta Diesel AT.

Expect very low numbers and huge discounts to be announced very soon
Well put. Mileage might be the same as diesel, but petrol price make it irrelevant. People prefer petrol for raw power, smoothness & sound. With a low powered engine, i dont see many lining up for Jetta. Coupled with the fact 1.4TSi is a very expensive engine to manufacture - i doubt VW can price it much lower than entry diesel or Laura 1.8TSi.
Old 21st March 2012, 19:44   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is an excellent move by VW. The 1.4 TSI maybe only 122PS but the talking point about this engine is fuel efficiency and torque which equates to driveability.

A petrol engine costing 1L lesser than diesel but giving similar FE to diesel may actually work.
Yes, and this is the standard engine for the small cars from VW stable (Golf, Jetta, Octavia etc.).
This may bring in those customers who are staying away due to the prohibitive pricing of the diesel Jetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Sorry, is there really such a USP? I maybe wrong, but my assumption is that a big chunk of the 200-300 Laura sold every month should be the diesel variants. I am not saying that they should discontinue the wonderful 1.8 motor. It’s something which I am eyeing for a long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat
FE for sure is an USP. And as Vid mentioned above, even a lakh difference with the corresponding diesel variant makes it’s a pretty good buy. From what I have read, this 122ps Jetta (with a 7-speed DSG) can do 0-100 kmph in less than 10 seconds. AFAIK, we don’t have many cars in this segment which can match that.

And overall I welcome this move from VW. It’s time that they get rid of the old 1.6 motor from their portfolio, and replace it with the modern 1.2 and 1.4 TSI engines. And who knows, probably we will see even the 160bhp guise of the 1.4 TSI in our cars soon.
Old 21st March 2012, 22:23   #68
BHPian

There is a well known saying that people buy power but drive torque. This engine produces it peak power and torque @1500 rpm and maintains a flat torque curve all the way to 4000rpm. Most conventional diesels are far peakier and deliver peak power and torque over a much smaller window. While this engine will not match the economy of a diesel, it delivers a sweet blend of economy and performance that few engines- diesel or petrol in its class can match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Well put. Mileage might be the same as diesel, but petrol price make it irrelevant. People prefer petrol for raw power, smoothness & sound. With a low powered engine, i dont see many lining up for Jetta. Coupled with the fact 1.4TSi is a very expensive engine to manufacture - i doubt VW can price it much lower than entry diesel or Laura 1.8TSi.

Last edited by goacom : 21st March 2012 at 22:24.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:28   #69
BHPian

this is a good news and hopefully they won't go all stingy on features with the TSi as they have on the diesel trendline coz that car is a shame! i mean a 15 lakhs rupee car is not having even basic features which the koreans are offering small hatchbacks!
Old 22nd March 2012, 08:10   #70
Senior - BHPian

I agree with the feedback that 1.4 TSI is a moot point. Whats the USP? If they are claiming FE, that's silly since no one is going to buy it for FE. Instead they will buy the Diesel. Performance edge is lost, and people who look for performance would buy the Laura 1.8 TSI with 160bhp instead.

They might be considering of bringing the price differential between petrol & diesel by 3L or so. If they do that, and still provide a DSG gear box at below Civic prices, they they could take away from business from competition. But i see the chances as slim.
Old 22nd March 2012, 08:12   #71
BHPian

I thought the 1.4 TSI could deliver more power at around 170 BHP. Is this an older version of the TSI or the same one in a detuned state?
Old 22nd March 2012, 08:41   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, is there really such a USP? I maybe wrong, but my assumption is that a big chunk of the 200-300 Laura sold every month should be the diesel variants.
No I am not saying the Petrol Laura outsells the Diesel Laura. My guess is they sell one petrol Laura for every 10 diesels. All I am saying is that petrol Laura buyer is attracted to the performance of the 1.8 TSI which is why he is buying it. If he was looking for economy, it really is a no brainer. Get the diesel, which also delivers very good performance. The Extra 'kick' is the only reason why anyone would go for the 1.8 TSI. Heavy discounts also mean it gives phenomenal bang per buck.

Quote:
And overall I welcome this move from VW. It’s time that they get rid of the old 1.6 motor from their portfolio, and replace it with the modern 1.2 and 1.4 TSI engines. .
Its definitely nice to see companies bringing in their best engines to India. But in the context of this segment I just don't see the logic behind the 1.4 TSI. This segment is diesel dominated. The diesels will not only have the performance edge over the 1.4 TSI but will also be cheaper to run. The 1.4 TSI will have to be significantly cheaper than the diesels to make any dent in the market. My guess is it will be cheaper by about 1.5~ 2L compared to the diesels variant to variant. That is if they offer it in all variants.

This engine would make more sense in the Vento in some kind of sports version perhaps. But then again performance editions have a history of becoming market duds from day one in our country.

Quote:
And who knows, probably we will see even the 160bhp guise of the 1.4 TSI in our cars soon
If they can do that, then it may be up to the game. But I don't think it will run on 91 octane fuel, so highly unlikely.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:28   #73
Team-BHP Support

I would have been very happy to see that engine, get into Polo!
Even at 8-9L OTR for such a vehicle, many guys would lap it up.

That would be a true powerful hatch.
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:13   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would have been very happy to see that engine, get into Polo!
Even at 8-9L OTR for such a vehicle, many guys would lap it up.

That would be a true powerful hatch.
Even the 1.2 TSI (105bhp) should do the job well in a Polo/Vento. AFAIK, the Polo with 1.4 TSI is only offered as the GTI variant, with 180bhp.
This engine is the standard petrol mill for the likes of Jetta, Golf and Octavia (Laura in India).
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:44   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even the 1.2 TSI (105bhp) should do the job well in a Polo/Vento. AFAIK, the Polo with 1.4 TSI is only offered as the GTI variant, with 180bhp.
This engine is the standard petrol mill for the likes of Jetta, Golf and Octavia (Laura in India).
That is why I mentioned, that since they have de-tuned to 120, Polo would make a good choice (where you have a current 1.6 105 BHP already running)

Without going off-track, maybe 1.4 TSI for Jetta is good option, but pricing would be key.
As ACI article says, all VW products are placed higher than Skoda siblings. Need to see
how this one turns about.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks