Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2012, 12:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Scoop!! Kia Picanto spotted testing

Spotted this vehicle in Velachery Road, Chennai.
I am guessing it must be someone testing the vehicle meant for Export. As it had left hand drive.
It was the size of Beat/ Etios, I initially thought it must be Beat, then noticed the manufacturer sign blocked.

I am guessing it must be vehicle manufactured by Nissan will let the gurus tell decide. Looking at the build dont think it is a Ford/ Renault vehicle.
I am loading pics I took today morning.

Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing-picanto_1.jpg
Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing-picanto_2.jpg
Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing-picanto_3.jpg
Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing-picanto_4.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd February 2012 at 14:12. Reason: Changed to "left hand drive", as you had mistakenly written RHD. Thanks for the pics!!
xingamazon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 13:47   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop!! Kia Picanto spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I am guessing it must be someone testing the vehicle meant for Export. As it had right hand drive.
It was the size of Beat/ Etios, I initially thought it must be Beat, then noticed the manufacturer sign blocked.

I am guessing it must be vehicle manufactured by Nissan will let the gurus tell decide. Looking at the build dont think it is a Ford/ Renault vehicle.
I am loading pics I took today morning.

Attachment 880917
Attachment 880918
Attachment 880919
Attachment 880920
Excellent scoop xingamazon. These are the clearest pics yet of the Kia Picanto.

I quite like how this car looks.
Old 1st February 2012, 15:11   #18
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing New pics on Page 2

KIA and Hyundai has the same products side by side with different skins. I hope they bring the Sportage in India with a Diesel engine, fingers crossed.KIA's new lineup is so stylish, it will stun you ...
Old 2nd February 2012, 00:33   #19
BHPian

re: Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing

The car seems to be a left hand drive model! Not very sure it will get launched in India
Old 2nd February 2012, 07:43   #20
BHPian

I have seen this car in vietnam where it is sold as Kia -Morning and the car looks stunning from all angles for a small car. Though there is a bit of fluidic design cues like the hyundai cars, it is a bit toned down and neatly done.

some pics to give you an overall look and feel.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing-picanto1.jpg  

Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing-2012kiamorning02.jpg  

Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing-2012kiamorning03.jpg  

Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing-2012kiamorning05.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2012, 18:09   #21
BHPian

Another scoop. I don't know what car this is. But testing on Indian roads. In Chennai.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120203_180427.png
Views: 11958
Size:  485.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120203_180507.png
Views: 11829
Size:  513.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120203_180539.png
Views: 11657
Size:  554.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120203_180621.png
Views: 11777
Size:  547.6 KB

Mods : sorry did not know where else to put this up. Please feel free to move this to where ever you see fit.
VANOS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:54   #22
Team-BHP Support

Interesting to see Kia in India. If they have India plans, the Picanto can be the right launchpad.

Even though Kia cars are pretty aligned with Hyundai in the product portfolio, I personally find them much more pleasing with their modern yet conservative design lines.
Old 6th February 2012, 21:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Some more photos of the Picanto being tested in Chennai, from IAB's flickr page: Kia Picanto spied in Chennai - a set on Flickr

Looks very nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing-6823114291_e018db3a0a_b.jpg  

Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing-6823114907_9cfcd89fff_b.jpg  

Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing-6823115509_a349a1f6dc_b.jpg  

Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing-6823116623_417bd70b79_b.jpg  

anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 00:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

The car is a platform twin of the i-10 but it has superb interiors compared to the crappy i-10.

My feeling is that it may be made on the same line for exports and not for India launch. Of course, that still does not explain why they would want to test it.
Old 9th February 2012, 13:10   #25
BHPian

Could Hyundai be going the Maruti way by offering cars within same segment with same engine just to offer more choice to the customer?
Old 9th February 2012, 15:53   #26
BHPian

They could just badge it as another Hyundai and launch it in the market. Another small car in the portfolio and another 5k to 8k units sold on the same platform as the i10 or maybe more.

Why would they go through the ruckus of launching another brand from scratch in this competitive market, that too KIA
Old 9th February 2012, 18:36   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
=================
Attachment 880920
Good Scoop...
Kia, is planning to enter in Indian market soon. Kia is one of the largest car maker in the world. Its cars produced in 14 plants that too located in major markets like the Germany, Australia, China and US.

Kia feels that the Indian auto market is promising these years than 4 years back when it attempted to enter but withdrew the plan. In order to understand the Indian auto market intensely, the South Korean maker has given this job to a global consultancy to conduct product clinics so as to test its cars on Indian roads. Lets wait and watch
Old 9th February 2012, 23:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzoheb View Post
Good Scoop...
Kia, is planning to enter in Indian market soon. Kia is one of the largest car maker in the world. Its cars produced in 14 plants that too located in major markets like the Germany, Australia, China and US.

Kia feels that the Indian auto market is promising these years than 4 years back when it attempted to enter but withdrew the plan. In order to understand the Indian auto market intensely, the South Korean maker has given this job to a global consultancy to conduct product clinics so as to test its cars on Indian roads. Lets wait and watch
This is a very useful insight considering the extensive test drives .If they did not have any plans to launch, they wouldn't have done it here .Considering the twelve Asian facilities , they can do this in any of those countries...

So i think they are very much into India and 'Picanto' is the right pick with 1.2 MPI engine which churns out 87ps @6000 rpm. In addition with a better interior will do the job in India reducing some substantial market share of of i10 and ritz .

The key would be the A.S.S as Maruti and Hyundai have the best network in place.

Since they have models like pro 'ceed (1.6 diesel and 2.0 ltr petrol),cerato and soul, KIA would be a highly potential prospect.

I would like to see Creed in india as not many of these kinds are there in the market...(in roads I see only old fiat adventure and TATA estate...)

Reference:-http://www.kiamotors.com
Old 12th February 2012, 00:15   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
They could just badge it as another Hyundai and launch it in the market. Another small car in the portfolio and another 5k to 8k units sold on the same platform as the i10 or maybe more.

Why would they go through the ruckus of launching another brand from scratch in this competitive market, that too KIA
In most markets where Hyundai also has Kia part of the family present, they position Kia at lower price points, allowing them to do a two-pronged pincer move on the competition. Kia cars are often cheaper with more equipment than similar Hyundai models. Styling is similar, but softer - probably to appeal to a more conservative buyer. This will be the right thing to do against Maruti Suzuki in India - a well specified small car with great interiors and style, value priced. A bit of VW Vento V/s Skoda Rapid, but at the mass end of the market.
guptad42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 19:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
In most markets where Hyundai also has Kia part of the family present, they position Kia at lower price points, allowing them to do a two-pronged pincer move on the competition. Kia cars are often cheaper with more equipment than similar Hyundai models. Styling is similar, but softer - probably to appeal to a more conservative buyer. This will be the right thing to do against Maruti Suzuki in India - a well specified small car with great interiors and style, value priced. A bit of VW Vento V/s Skoda Rapid, but at the mass end of the market.
Good info on KIA, didn't know much about the market positioning of both these brands. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks