Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2011, 10:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs

Honestly, I'm a bit confused on the pricing front.

I was in the market to upgrade over Octavia. While Laura/Jetta were good choices, I did not find them to be a significant upgrade except for better ride and handling. Where-as Yeti as a package came with all most all the advantages of Laura/Jetta but minus (-) Boot Size and plus (+) lot more. The interiors, build quality and everthing about Yeti is comparable to Laura/Jetta. So how can this vehicle be significantly cheaper ?

I guess Yeti is not a vehicle for Indian SUV or MUV Fans (even though it off-roads wonderfully), but more a niche vehicle for those who primarily require a Sedan, but with a little more flexibility. And until the market is ready to look at Yeti that way, I think Yeti is going to be a Dud.
Old 24th November 2011, 10:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the 4x2 will tend to wean away some buyers of the Laura, Cruze and other such. .
Highly unlikely, IMO. Let's watch the sales charts to see if it happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by contessa View Post
And until the market is ready to look at Yeti that way, I think Yeti is going to be a Dud.
Yes, it will be dud, regardless of mid-course corrections and after thoughts, like these.
BH.

Last edited by BurningHeart : 24th November 2011 at 10:44.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

I made a quick comparison between Yeti, Laura & Rapid:

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 4442
Size:  16.4 KB

Yeti is smaller than Rapid but priced above Laura. Though Yeti is claimed to be an SUV, its seating is just few inches above a tall sedan. And it loses out to a sedan in boot space.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 12:08   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I made a quick comparison between Yeti, Laura & Rapid:
Spot on analysis and superbly presented (would have been worthwhile to add boot space too just to demonstrate the significant difference on this front b/w Laura and Yeti).

I've always believed that the Laura actually presents a better buy than the Yeti for most urban users. It has comparable space inside, a much larger boot, better driving dynamics inherently given its a sedan; option of AT across variants with the 140 bhp engine spec.

You would need a really specific and unique set of requirements to actually "rqeuire" the Yeti for the advantages it offers (flexibility of dropping rear seats to substantially increase boot; soft roading etc).

For those who want a MT car with 140 bhp, they can consider the Jetta comfortline which is probably at a price point comparable to the Yeti 4x4 MT.

For the Yeti 4x2 110 bhp variant purchaser, again the base Laura with the same engine spec probably presents better value.

In summary (and in my personal opinion), unless one very specifically needs the Yeti for reasons that the other competitors don't offer:

1. If one want 110 bhp Yeti (MT): Laura MT with 110 bhp might make more sense.

2. If one want 140 bhp Yeti (MT): Jetta might make sense for similar money if 140 bhp critical. If 110 bhp also suffices, one can consider Laura MT. If AT critical, you can anyway pick suitable variant of Laura at similar price point and still get 140 bhp.

PS: I was limiting this analysis to products within the VAG group and have therefore not referred to any other manufacturers.
Old 24th November 2011, 12:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Looks like Skoda wanted to keep the price a bit higher than highest end XUV.
Anticipating a price hike for XUV?
Very valid points the Ampere.

Yes, the XUV might see a price increase in the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2012. I remember reading a tweet by Hormazd Sorabjee on the same too.

Yes, lack of road presence and premium pricing is what killed the Yeti. Otherwise, its a gem of a vehicle.

What I would have loved to see is, an AT Yeti. They might just launch that in the L&K trim. But again, Skoda cant afford to price it higher than the existing MT Yeti as the sales for that arent great either.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 12:30   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

My view is that in India, Yeti will still take some time (1-2 years) to settle down as a vehicle and during this time Skoda will need to be persistent with discounts and marketing. People in congested cities will gradually start to appreciate its versatility and frugality and its small size. This will augur well for us buyers who will eventually get better vehicles at much better prices!

Incidentally, I was comparing India prices with UK prices, and the Yeti is cheaper in India now as compared to UK! (Source : Skoda Yeti UK Brochure)
Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs-yeti-uk-prices.jpg

Also, inspite of the 110 PS engine, the 4x2 version has a 0-100 time of 11.6s, which is only marginally slower than the 9.9 Sec of the 140 PS 4x4.
Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs-engine-options.jpg

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 24th November 2011 at 12:39.
Old 24th November 2011, 12:31   #22
Team-BHP Support

It's clear, going by the price-tag of the new 4x2 Yeti, that Skoda wants to distinguish itself from the Tatas and Mahindras. No offense to owners of either of those.

Seems like Skoda is clear about their market-strategy. Problem is, it might not favour them, considering that there is a home-grown SUV with bags of goodies and great looks to boot is considerably cheaper to buy.
Old 24th November 2011, 14:20   #23
BHPian

The new Yeti brochures only have 3 variants listed (Active. Ambition & Elegance). Does this mean that the Ambiente version is being discontinued?

If yes, we should be able to get larger discounts on this variant, shouldn't we?
Old 24th November 2011, 14:27   #24
BHPian

I was expecting a lakh less. At 13 lakhs it would have sold good numbers IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG View Post
The new Yeti brochures only have 3 variants listed (Active. Ambition & Elegance). Does this mean that the Ambiente version is being discontinued?
Ambiente is now Ambition, globally.
Old 24th November 2011, 15:18   #25
BHPian

Request - Pls dont compare Yeti with Laura or Rapid or ventos !!!!!

For all those who have TD'd Yeti would agree that it belongs to different class altogether. I personally appreciate Yeti for it's Fineness, Quality, Stability, Versatility and Off road capability. It screams Quality from every angle.

Yeti is perhaps one of the most versatile and fine X-over available in 15-20 Lacs category. When people compare Yeti with Scoprs, XUV, Safaris, Fortuner - I cannot help but laugh at their Apple-to-Orange comparos !!!

Yeti's fineness is miles ahead when compared to the above vehicles. Topgear Jeremy Clarkson's review of Yeti reestablishes this fact. He says the ride comfort is much better than even Rovers !!!! For ppl who know Jeremy will realize that he doesn't appreciate any car that easily... Yeti was perhaps one of those handful of cars that had NO -ve points from him.

Skoda isn't positioning Yeti as volume churner; It's clear that it's a niche product and will continue to stay that way. I would never call this a Dud.

Folks looking for "Road Presence + Value for Money" - XUV/Safari/Scorp
Folks looking for "Road Presence" - Fortuner
Folks looking for something different than what regular crowd wants + Quality - Yeti !!!

Yeti is a life style vehicle. It's good for 4 adults + 1 Kid to travel in comfort with enough luggage for weekend getaways !!!
harishpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 15:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I will be taking delivery of my 4WD elegance in another week or ten days all going well and personally am very happy that with this new introduction of the 2WD lots more people are going to be tempted to buy it.

So I suppose you closed your poll? Many congrats shankar.balan!!! This is an amazing vehicle still quite ahead of time in India. With such amazing features and the market maturing, this definitely won't go the Ford Fusion way. What color have you chosen?

If road presence only means "big size" then yes, the Yeti doesn't have one. But it is still one of the most stylish vehicles you can see on road.
Old 24th November 2011, 15:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr
Folks looking for something different than what regular crowd wants + Quality - Yeti !!!

Yeti is a life style vehicle. It's good for 4 adults + 1 Kid to travel in comfort with enough luggage for weekend getaways !!!
I do agree that this vehicle is only for those who want to differentiate but still Skôda can do numbers (economy of scale) that can filp the market but they just do not seem to acknowledge it. As Team-BHP notes in its test ride of XUV, it is a game changer in the segment. Yeti was the one that was supposed to do it but it did not deliver due to mind numbing price point. To each his own, I guess.
Old 24th November 2011, 15:43   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

i tend to agree with what you say.
I also appreciate the comparo - if the Elegance 2 litre 140BHP 4WD is 20615 GBP in the UK that works out to approx 17 lacs in INR.
The same spec here is only very marginally more expensive (after discounts etc).

it is definitely a niche product and will not appeal to anyone looking for road presence, size, snob value and so on - it is suited to those who want a good versatile urban+weekend package with some "go anywhere" ability. Also, like you said, great for those who would like Euro plush quality of fit and finish etc.

Incidentally, even for those who want some snob value and road presence - this is still a bit of a head turner on account of its relative rarity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
My view is that in India, Yeti will still take some time (1-2 years) to settle down as a vehicle and during this time Skoda will need to be persistent with discounts and marketing. People in congested cities will gradually start to appreciate its versatility and frugality and its small size. This will augur well for us buyers who will eventually get better vehicles at much better prices!

Incidentally, I was comparing India prices with UK prices, and the Yeti is cheaper in India now as compared to UK! (Source : Skoda Yeti UK Brochure)
Attachment 846897

Also, inspite of the 110 PS engine, the 4x2 version has a 0-100 time of 11.6s, which is only marginally slower than the 9.9 Sec of the 140 PS 4x4.
Attachment 846896

Regards,
Behemoth
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 15:43   #29
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

So why buy the Yeti 4X2- Better ground clearance than the Laura?

Seriously with the discounts on offer or rather even without the 4X4 is the one that makes sense with the engine, ESP etc difference.

It could have tempted buyer with an even lower price but this is neither here nor there.

We can take it be a serious alternative to the Altis Diesel, Cruz and Laura - but then the drive would not be as enjoyable. Still an alternative for sure. they could have really made this work with another 50k off - which they will anyways probably be offering as unofficial discounts in a few months.

Skoda just left a bit too much in the pocket. Thought that after the Rapid they would do more here.
Old 24th November 2011, 16:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i tend to agree with what you say.
I also appreciate the comparo - if the Elegance 2 litre 140BHP 4WD is 20615 GBP in the UK that works out to approx 17 lacs in INR.
The same spec here is only very marginally more expensive (after discounts etc).

it is definitely a niche product and will not appeal to anyone looking for road presence, size, snob value and so on - it is suited to those who want a good versatile urban+weekend package with some "go anywhere" ability. Also, like you said, great for those who would like Euro plush quality of fit and finish etc.
As someone who is seriously considering buying a softroader the Yeti is right up there on my list of choices. It should rightly be, especially with its fit and finish among other points.
I am not too sure though that comparison with UK prices is justifiable. I state this only with my own example. For the same job that I do in either country, my purchasing power is different in India and UK. In my experience, I get paid better in the UK than in India. So, comparing/ converting the UK price does not sound correct. Only my 2 cents.

Most Viewed