Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Hottest hatch of all times is....
Palio 1.6 GTX 104 39.54%
i20 CRDi 11 4.18%
Polo 1.6 30 11.41%
Jazz/Brio 13 4.94%
Swift 43 16.35%
Figo 5 1.90%
Getz CRDi 8 3.04%
Punto 90bhp 27 10.27%
Zen 12 4.56%
Any other ( Fabia, Santro, Micra etc.) 10 3.80%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2011, 02:12   #1
BHPian

So what do you think is the Hottest?

Corners and Cuts are only for Fords and Fiats’. Now that rhymes!

Not a revelation, of course. This was my FB status for yesterday. Plainly, I was too bored seeing each of friends update their status with ‘Kovaleri –Kovaleri ‘song. So, out of nowhere struck this rhyme and pasted it directly on my FB Wall…Little did I know of this ‘random thought’ making some people go hopping mad!

The first comment came from an ardent Lancer fan and he questioned, “Mitsubishi?? “. As I have no idea of how a Lancer’s steering wheel feels, I replied honestly, answering in German (we both attend German classes together), “So lala (so-so)”.

Now, one of my cousins has just bought the diesel-rocket- i20 Crdi. He’s only two years elder, mechanical engineer and a wheel-spin enthusiast; the ‘one’ thing he looks for in a car is Engine!

A few days ago, we were on the same topic discussing hot-hatches. Clearly in his mind, a diesel car with stump-yanking torque and chic looks is the one. Let’s be honest, it’s the i20 he’s invariably pointing towards. On the other hand, I am a die-hard Palio GTX fan-boy. None of the cars to this day and date evoke the same sense of passion, magnetism, character and charm that a Ferrari red painted GTX provides, period! That’s all concluded without having driven one, actually. Wonder how will I react when I get behind the wheel of one? Thanks to the drive experiences shared by all of you here, who have driven the GTX, I love it more and more every passing day!

Just to pull my brother’s leg, I thought it would be a good idea to bring steering/feedback thing in picture and get his facts straighten up. We had an hour long argument that day but sadly, no conclusions!

The aforementioned Facebook update, as he would have thought, had surely been posted to offend him! As a result, he started bickering again. Without any second thoughts, I joined him thinking it’d be a good time pass. Some other armchair enthusiasts joined the party too, things started to get serious…And the Word-War II began:

WHICH IS THE HOTTEST HATCH LAUCNCHED IN OUR COUNTRY SO FAR?

i20- Surely has a bonkers engine (CRDi unit). Good looking and, perhaps the most practical hatch that’s being currently sold in our country, alongside the Jazz. But, is it hot? Do you really think?

Polo 1.6- Gorgeous when red, 1.6 and 105 bhp. Perfect replacement for the ageing GTX, I thought. But then, stumbled upon this article, read the very first comment there, and I am re-assured that the GTX still is untouchable.

Battle of the hot hatches - Heat this!

Swift- I believe it to be the only car that is Hot in all the departments. It ticks all the right boxes-Handling, price, engine, fun, looks, reliability and FE (The thing we Indians seek foremost of all in any car/bike!). Definitely, hot! … Hottest? Uhmm, that red Palio.

Getz Crdi- Here’s some blast from the past! I have heard some great reviews from enthusiasts and automobile journalists about the diesel Getz. It had a CRDi unit and offered 240 N-m of torque…Seriously wow! Also read it being an able handler too. But, does that make it the hottest hatch of all times? I have no idea; please pour in your comments.

Punto- Best looking hatch of all times. Period. Hot as hell in red. Wish Fiat had plonked some 100+ bhp motor into it. It would have been so easy to forget the GTX then…Engine and performance is the only weak-link that stops it from clinching the ‘hot hatch’ title from elder brother!

Brio and Jazz- Honda’s Vtec delivering a revalicious 90bhp. Most fun cars around (GTO’s words, if I am not mistaken).

Jazz with revised pricing is easily the best small petrol car in market today. Albeit, both Hondas look a bit soft to me rather than hot (also the reason why Fabia is not in my list of hot-hatches, apologies for the same). And I think, I am right in saying that none of these handle anywhere close to a Fiat or Ford. The Jazz or the Brio simply does not ‘cut’ the mustard for the cornering-happy-janta. I am sure many will disagree, and I would like to hear back-up reasons for the same as well. :-)

Ford Figo- Here comes the Ford, finally. Fords are the only rivals I see to the Fiats when one seeks outright fun in a car. Betters Fiat, actually (Fiesta). Amazing handlers, best steering feedback and some great engines to drool over. The Figo though could have been an enthusiast’s delight had it been bolted with the same unit as that of Fiesta (1.6). Because as of now it’s not an outright performance hatch vis-à-vis Polo 1.6 or GTX. Its subtle looks don’t help spice up things much, either. The Figo then resembles to its Italian meaning of cool than being a red-hot chili pepper. Still, if I were in market today to pick a small car, it’d be a tough call between this Ford and its arch-rival Fiat Punto-from an enthusiast's point of view.

Zen Carbon/Steel- Aha, the two door hot hatch. I have very little to share about this car. Remember reading only 300 or 500 of these were made. A very hot chick, down my street used to drive one of these (Steel). The combination was simply jaw-dropping. How it feels to drive is unknown yet? (Both, the girl and the car ).

Recently did a Chandigarh-Delhi run on the first-gen Zen. Pick-up was quite insane and it climbed up to the figures of 130-140kph effortlessly. Only concern was high-speed stability as it felt shaky and unstable (scary!).

So guys these are the only entrants I could think of for now. I know I have missed many other brilliant hatchbacks (Fabia, Micra, Liva, Santro, Wagon R, Chevy, Opels etc.), but you can always favour any of those missed in your posts, if you think they had some kind of X-factor in them.

Besides being a fan-boy, why I think the GTX reigns above all?

It’s only because I think GTX is the perfect amalgamation of looks, power, performance, handling, character, passion and fun. We have some great cars today but they all miss out on some or the other points above. Secondly, it’s painted in Ferrari red.

What do you think? Am I correct in saying so?
Shivank is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 02:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: So what do you think is the Hottest?

It was a very very tough choice but finally voted for Swift as we have to vote for the HOTTEST hatch and this car perfectly meets that criteria. As you have also rightly said that this hatch is 'Hot in all departments". i20 is close second and I'll vote it as 'COOLEST' hatch. The MAIN reason for voting for Swift is because when it was launched I could not believe that of all companies MARUTI SUZUKI can give us such stunning looking car. Its 'either you like it or hate it' design and for me its more than like it, its just love it.

Last edited by carwatcher : 26th November 2011 at 02:49.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 02:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Swift. Only car that can reach the corner fast and take the corner fast too. Looks that are million buck and the mileage to add to it.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 03:11   #4
BHPian

For me a hot hatch is one that makes you happy
Of course to one his own but i have voted for some other in your poll and that some other is none other than the Chevrolet SRV.

I know it never put the sales charts on fire , heck it didn't even spark them . But this car had it all .An amazing 1.6 L 100 BHP engine , It had the kit , it had the looks but sometimes the right things just dont work .

And i somehow feel this car was launched before its time . Moreover it is a case of a great product failing because of bad followup .

But does a product need to be successful to be a hot hatch ?? For me no. As long as it can make me happy every time i drive it , that feeling is more than enough.
And hence Chevy SRV is the Hot Hatch for me .

P.S. Seriously whats with everyone updating Kovaleri –Kovaleri Di as their status.
I thought only my friends were mad :P
Enigmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 09:39   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
WHICH IS THE HOTTEST HATCH LAUCNCHED IN OUR COUNTRY SO FAR?
If the question is launched so far, then, atleast for me the Fiat Palio 1.6GTX with killer steering, solid handling and 100bhp mill will be the undebatable champion - EVEN NOW!.

As for the hottest hatch right now: I'd go for the swift.

As for the hottest hatch in the near future: I think the Ford Figo, with the 1.6 mill of the Fiesta has an amazing potential on the hands of an enthusiast.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 09:50   #6
BHPian

Extremely tough call !
If you can prioritize the necessities , it will be easier to judge the best possible combination.
For me the 'HOT hatch' needs to have following characteristics :
1.Powerful,refined and FTD engine. A petrol that revs like nuts or a Diesel that pull like a locomotive.
2.Handling. Cornering should be fun,straight line stability, chuck-able nature and communicative steering
3.Styling should be spot on. It should look stand out and different.
4.Sporty ergonomics and driver friendly interior.
5.Modifications should be easy.

Closest cars that satisfies the above criteria are :
1. Palio GTX (Petrol)
2. Swift DDiS (Diesel)
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 10:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
And the Word-War II began:

World War 3 you meant.

I voted for the Swift.

Next, I think would be the 2-door Zen.

Followed be Jazz and Punto.
sachinj12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 10:11   #8
dot
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the hottest hatch ever on our shores has been the Swift. A modded swift with angel eyes has the killer look, ever. And what engines to match the look. Yeah not the most powerful, but hot nevertheless.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 10:24   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote goes for Fiat Palio GTX. When it came out in 2001(?)it was the hottest looking car with bright shades never seen before in Indian roads, especially the S10 Edition looked awesome. The 1.6 Engine had 100 horses on paper which really performed on road unlike the Punto 90hp which is- all show, no go. GTX is only car in this list which i'd refer as hot hatch.

There were others cars which ticked some boxes but were not all rounders. Like the Swift I which is awesome fun around corners but does not have enough punch compared to GTX. Getz CRDI had those 110 punchy Diesel horses but dynamics were not in the same league as Palio/Swift.

One great opportunity missed is Punto. The 1.4 Petrol has 90 hp, but on the road it does not have performance to be called Hot Hatch, on my drive i found the engine WEAK. 90hp Diesel looks best on the glossy brochure.

One future candidate i can think of is- Ford Figo 1.6 S. Even in the current form it has brilliant dynamics, better than Swift/Palio/Punto, all it needs is the 1.6 engine from Fiesta classic. Looks are not really HOT.

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th November 2011 at 11:35. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 11:26   #10
Team-BHP Support

I have heard about the strong fanbase for Palio GTX, but never experienced one. In real sense, we don't have a hot hatch at this moment, but looking at the current lot, my vote goes for the Fabia 1.6 (and hence voted for the last option).

And yes, if the Figo comes with the 1.6 motor, that can be one hot hatch!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 11:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Palio 1.6 GTX. Why? Simply because it had the right combination of power, handling, tank-like build, ride quality and that delectable steering as well as space/practicality. Most of the others fail in one department or the other.

Most importantly, when I look at the fact this was launched ten years ago, it makes it the hot hatch.

P.S. I am not a Fiat fanboy, and would have voted for the Polo 1.6 if it had better steering feel.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 11:39   #12
Team-BHP Support

Not so much because I own one, but I find the styling of Opel Corsa SAIL to be very very good; European design at it's best.

In the looks dept., SAIL is classic; especially the rear. And the SAIL 1.6 is quite a mean machine to drive around.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 11:59   #13
BHPian

Voted "Others" as Tata Vista was not mentioned in the list. Vista is the most "overlooked" car in India - maybe our bias towards everything 'phoren' is causing this. Let us not give A.S.S as the reason - then we should not have mentioned Fiat here
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 12:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Getz Crdi. MY oh MY! Wonder how it could get SOOOO less votes. Drive it and you know what the real definition of HOT is! Seriously!
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 12:56   #15
BHPian

I simply love the lines of the Polo from every angle. Specially the side profile gives it a wise guy look with those headlights. Aside from that the entire bodywork gives a sedate but dignified personality and presence spreading across the space it occupies on the road. Personally I am not a fan of tall boy hatches but prefer low slung hatches which kinda give an appearance of clinging to the road. Having owned a classic Zen earlier, the Polo naturally appealed to me a lot. Since I needed to own a sedan, went for the Vento but still I love the looks of the Polo even better than the Vento .

Its a pity they couldn't mate the Polo with the right engine, the 3 pot 1.2 TDI simply doesn't do justice to it, the 1.6 petrol I have heard is a real guzzler naturally because of the engine size. I wonder if they could map the 1.4 TSI to it and replace the 1.2 TDI with the 1.6 TDI on it.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed