Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2012, 09:42   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics! Volkswagen UP spotted in Mumbai

VW to begin European sales of 5-door Up in March 6th.

"The five-door Up, which will debut at the Geneva auto show in March, will cost 10,325 euros in Germany, 475 euros more than the three-door version. It will be launched in the rest of Europe by the third quarter, VW said.

The luggage area has 251 liters of space, which can be increased to nearly 951 liters when the rear seats are folded down.

Volkswagen has developed the Up as part of a new family of subcompact vehicles that share a single platform. Skoda's version is called the Citigo while Seat has named its version the Mii."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...#ixzz1kRK5ny1W
Old 30th January 2012, 23:03   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Official pics of the 5-door Up!.

SCOOP Pics! Volkswagen UP spotted in Mumbai-volkswagenup5door122_2.jpg

SCOOP Pics! Volkswagen UP spotted in Mumbai-volkswagenup5door92_2.jpg

SCOOP Pics! Volkswagen UP spotted in Mumbai-volkswagenup5door82_2.jpg

SCOOP Pics! Volkswagen UP spotted in Mumbai-volkswagenup5door102_2.jpg

SCOOP Pics! Volkswagen UP spotted in Mumbai-volkswagenup5door112_2.jpg

SCOOP Pics! Volkswagen UP spotted in Mumbai-volkswagenup5door52_2.jpg
Old 31st January 2012, 08:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

I noticed that the windows are similar to the ones (butterfly types). I seriously hope that India gets the roll down windows. They are far more convenient and pleasing to the eyes.
Old 5th February 2012, 19:48   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

VW UP to come in a diesel variant, though the VW-UP is not confirmed for India.

"However, VW has confirmed that the Up! will get a diesel engine very soon. This is not the normal TDI that we find in the Polo and Fabia.
In fact, it’s a whole new engine developed specifically with fuel efficiency in mind. Essentially, it’s a compact twin-cylinder TDI turbodiesel engine, displacing 800cc and delivering 47hp/121Nm developed for the Concept XL1."

VW Up! to get its diesel engine from the Concept XL1
Old 6th February 2012, 23:25   #50
BHPian

Seat version of the Up is out now, the Mii. I like the Up better.

Seat Mii five-door revealed - Photos
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP Pics! Volkswagen UP spotted in Mumbai-14155179761414765287.jpg  

SCOOP Pics! Volkswagen UP spotted in Mumbai-18571540923323141.jpg  

SCOOP Pics! Volkswagen UP spotted in Mumbai-19313615211862130644.jpg  

Old 9th February 2012, 07:11   #51
Team-BHP Support

Read this interesting bit on the Up! Apparently VW has decided go a bit different with the names for the various trim levels. Not sure if they will follow the same for India – if/when it get launched

The bare-bone base variant with no frills will be called Take Up. The mid-variant with a bit of chrome, colour coded (aligned to exterior) interiors, remote locking, electric windows etc. will be called Move Up.
And High Up is the fully loaded top variant with fog lamps, high end stereo, leather seats etc. Quite cheesy nomenclature indeed!

Source: Torque Magazine / SPH Publications, Singapore.
Old 18th February 2012, 22:54   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen to come up with 800cc small car for Indian market!

"After receiving a reasonably good response for the Polo hatchback, the car maker has now announced its plans to introduce a new small car based on its UP model.

The 800cc Up! derivative will cater to the small car segment in car markets of India, China and Brazil.

While no official launch date has come from Volkswagen, industry insiders are betting on a 2013 launch after the unveiling of the car takes place at the Paris Grand Palais, Champs Elysees, Paris."

Volkswagen to come up with 800cc small car for Indian market
Old 18th February 2012, 23:09   #53
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen surely knows to design beautiful as well as aesthetically designed car. VW Up in 5 door trim looks sexy especially the rear, single glass rear door like in Honda Brio. We all had enough those Jap/Korean quirky fluidic designs.
The pictures of Up shows butterfly type rear windows which I seriously hope would we shun for power windows which may not roll down completely as we have in Polo/Vento.
The doors have space for speakers as well as bottle holders in front and as well as in the rear. Space utilization at its best for convenience. Boot space may be around 200 lts, my guess. The best part is that VW is launching it with a diesel heart from the beginning which will be selling more than petrol sibling, if GoI Budget'12 doesn't mess up the diesel party.
VW Up would be positioned somewhere between 3-5 lac range competing with i10, Beat, etc.
Old 19th February 2012, 12:26   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
VW to begin European sales of 5-door Up in March 6th.

"The five-door Up, which will debut at the Geneva auto show in March, will cost 10,325 euros in Germany, 475 euros more than the three-door version. It will be launched in the rest of Europe by the third quarter, VW said.

The luggage area has 251 liters of space, which can be increased to nearly 951 liters when the rear seats are folded down.

Volkswagen has developed the Up as part of a new family of subcompact vehicles that share a single platform. Skoda's version is called the Citigo while Seat has named its version the Mii."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...#ixzz1kRK5ny1W
10 325 Euros = 6,69,425 INR
i hope this is not the case in india. I must be missing somethere here. Could it be a smaller engine which debuts here in india? while i am not sure about the legroom inside, this certainly is a cute looking car which should definetely come to INDIA. fingers crossed team.
Old 19th February 2012, 13:33   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
10 325 Euros = 6,69,425 INR
i hope this is not the case in india. I must be missing somethere here. Could it be a smaller engine which debuts here in india? while i am not sure about the legroom inside, this certainly is a cute looking car which should definetely come to INDIA. fingers crossed team.
The car will be assembled in India, and there will be a fair amount of localization. So that should keep the car's cost down. I expect it to be right in the Brio's and i10's ball-park. A notch under the Polo. 4-6 lakhs (on-the-road)?

EDIT: Expect it to be about as spacious as the Brio and i10, if not more.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th February 2012 at 13:37. Reason: added 'OTR'
Old 19th February 2012, 17:03   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
A notch under the Polo. 4-6 lakhs (on-the-road)?
Should be the case. Here in Singapore, the top variant of the UP ! is expected to be priced around the base variant of the Polo.
Old 5th March 2012, 22:23   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

VW India puts UP on the back burner!

"In what can be described as a disappointing and negative development, Volkswagen India has put plans to launch the Up! in India on hold. The word coming from Volkswagen’s office is they are in no hurry to get a slice of the lower end of the B segment."

Volkswagen Up! India launch postponed by three years?
Old 13th March 2012, 15:56   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

"Among new introductions planned for India, the auto giant is currently contemplating launching its small family car UP!.

"We are currently examining market opportunities in India and China (for UP!)," Volkswagen Group Chairman Martin Winterkorn said.

He, however, clarified that no concrete decision has been taken yet on the same.

"The decision on introduction of the UP! car in India and China has not yet been made. We have to wait and watch. We have to see how the market in India develops, but it will not grow as fast as China," Winterkorn said."

Ready to invest more in India, policies must be consistent: Volkswagen - The Economic Times

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th March 2012 at 22:45. Reason: Link corrected, thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 21:19   #59
BHPian

From the initial photos, it seems that the car has a centre ODO console. Woohoo! another car following that route. Although I am in favour of this, as it increases road visibility, I am not sure what would Vista bashers say?
Old 13th March 2012, 22:18   #60
Team-BHP Support

Volkswagen had announced that the Up! has been scrapped, and will no longer be in the pipeline for the Indian Market. A little disappointing. Was really looking forward to experiencing the little hatch. It would have been quite fun, with those short overhangs, and VW cars' trademark driving dynamics and driving characteristics.

We need a small and compact, yet stable and composed hatchback. The Up! would have given the Brio a run for its money, me thinks. And would have definitely dented the sales of the Micra/Pulse.

I can't seem to find a link that suggests that they've dropped the plans. A reliable source had mentioned it to me.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks