Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 10:48   #16
BHPian

Re: Metro and City Discrimination By Mahindra- XUV 500 Launch

Does this mean XUV 500 should be driven only in metros? If something goes wrong on a highway trip out of metros then God help XUV owners?

Sorry, I couldn't understand the logic of Mahindra did not prepare their sales and service people accross india for this product before launch and hence launched only in metros.
S5157 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 14:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra knows this product was going to be a gamechanger for them and they wanted a premium experience for the customers. So instead of spreading the resources thin, they decided to concentrate on top 4-5 cities initially - dedicated RM's, Purple Club, multiple demo vehicles/TD vehicles, personalized attention at dealerships, Mahindra people at dealership etc. And trust me, this has made a lot of effect on people who are looking at plonking 12-13L of their money on a car. Compare it with Aria, you walk in to a dealership looking to buy a 15L+ car and you have to wait for 10 min for even someone to walk up to you. Makes a world of difference.

Also, i doubt M&M anticipated the kind of response they got (every dealership was having a mini-mela at the time of XUV launch), they might have had planned to launch it in more cities sooner. Looking at how the production has been sold out for 4-5 months, i dont think M&M is going to launch it sooner.
Old 29th November 2011, 14:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
I've wondered too, are we non- Metro buyers paying in Sri Lankan Rupees? Similarly, Toyota sells BS4 versions of the Innova only in metros.
This is not just applicable to Toyota and most manufacturers resort to this tactic as Govt rules on emission norms are always implemented in phased manner.

Why?, now this is my guess. Remember 4 (or maybe 5) years ago it was mandated that metros will move to Euro (Bharat Stage 3) emission norms implemented from April (of that year) onwards. Some of the two stroke two wheelers stopped selling at metros because of that but continued to do brisk business in small towns (Case in point Kinetic Honda which was a two stroke engine and did not meet the Bharat Stage 3 emission norms). My guess is it is more expensive to produce a BS4 car then a BS3 car. Hence they try and make as much money as possible till the norms come into effect.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 29th November 2011 at 14:37.
Old 29th November 2011, 15:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
This is not just applicable to Toyota and most manufacturers resort to this tactic as Govt rules on emission norms are always implemented in phased manner.

Why?, now this is my guess. Remember 4 (or maybe 5) years ago it was mandated that metros will move to Euro (Bharat Stage 3) emission norms implemented from April (of that year) onwards. Some of the two stroke two wheelers stopped selling at metros because of that but continued to do brisk business in small towns (Case in point Kinetic Honda which was a two stroke engine and did not meet the Bharat Stage 3 emission norms). My guess is it is more expensive to produce a BS4 car then a BS3 car. Hence they try and make as much money as possible till the norms come into effect.
Toyota is the only mainstream manufacturer NOT to offer BS4 version in non- BS4 cities. Mahindra, Tata all have BS4 options in Kerala, though they sell BS3 versions too. I don't know about 2 wheelers. Sorry for going

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks