Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 15:47   #1
BHPian

Coming soon: Maruti's 'nano' @ Rs 300,000

Maruti Suzuki has decided to enter the sub-800cc segment.

Two cars in this segment, already in operation in Japan, will be unveiled during the Delhi Auto Expo in January, to gauge viewers' response.

Called Palette and MR Wagon, these cars are powered by parent Suzuki's smallest engine till date.

On the basis of the feedback at the expo, a production version would be readied for the Indian market and either one or both of the compact cars would be launched in the next two-three years, sources familiar with the developments said.

Source : Coming soon: Maruti's 'nano' @ Rs 300,000 - Rediff.com Business
TaurusAl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 17:10   #2
BHPian

Re: Coming soon: Maruti's 'nano' @ Rs 300,000

The car pictured looks soo much like the pre face lifted Zen estilo. Is maruti going to launch a new product or downgrade the estilo?

Coming soon: Maruti's 'nano' @ Rs 300,000-29suz1.jpg
The picture from the above link

Coming soon: Maruti's 'nano' @ Rs 300,000-322.jpg

A picture of the indian pre-facelift Estilo
Pic source: http://autoadvices.com/wp-content/up...011/02/322.jpg

Last edited by amrisharm : 29th November 2011 at 17:27.
Old 29th November 2011, 17:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

This definetly looks like the estilo only. Maybe they would strip the estilo down and under-equip it to price it from 3 lacs. Price wise or space wise its not a nano.

Maruti already has sub 3 lac vhicles, read alto and upcoming 800. What is the use of having 3 sub 3lacs cars from the same stable ?

Last edited by scopriobharath : 29th November 2011 at 17:23.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 17:27   #4
BHPian

Maybe this is the best way to dress up a dead horse and flog it. They did a good job with the Eeco. Suggest that it be named the 'Nono'.
basky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 17:32   #5
BHPian

Maybe Maruti is going to do with the Estilo what they did with the Maruti Versa.

1) Reduce the Engine Size
2) Remove comfort features
3) Re-name the product
4) Reduce price

And the result (for the Eeco)? A waiting period of no less than 2 months in most cities .

Last edited by amrisharm : 29th November 2011 at 17:33.
Old 29th November 2011, 18:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
The car pictured looks soo much like the pre face lifted Zen estilo. Is maruti going to launch a new product or downgrade the estilo?

Guys, rediff is known to show random useless images. At least they have the decency to show relevant OEM. So its really not so surprising to see some estilo image.
Search for MR Wagon suzuki car on google and go to images. You will see the car that useless rediff claims.
Now click on that white car image (which has everyone excited). You reach... about: Suzuki MR Wagon
Now from that site "The Suzuki MR Wagon is a kei car with a mini MPV body, seating four, manufactured by Suzuki for the Japanese market only, and also marketed in Japan by Nissan as the Nissan Moco under an OEM agreement. The model debuted in 2001, and since 2007 it has been in its second generation. It was launched in India by Maruti Suzuki as Maruti Zen Estilo in 2006, Maruti Zen Estilo was discontinued in 2009 and renamed as Maruti Estilo."

I find this thread to be only speculative in nature.

Last edited by subscrive : 29th November 2011 at 18:04.
Old 29th November 2011, 18:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

MR Wagon is already here in the form of Estilo.
I guess as someone pointed out, they will make it more basic and develop a cheap, light, lesser CC engine.
Old 29th November 2011, 18:40   #8
BHPian

@Subscrive - +1 Buddy. Rediff images are worthless.
My guess is, It might be this car, IF they are actually planning to launch such a car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...dged-alto.html

That said, launching such a vehicle would be of no use, IMO.

Last edited by DeKay : 29th November 2011 at 18:42.
Old 29th November 2011, 18:49   #9
BHPian

The MR Wagon is the picture is an old one. Most likely Maruti would display the new models.
Coming soon: Maruti's 'nano' @ Rs 300,000-800pxsuzuki_palette_sw.jpg
This is the Suzuki Palette.
Coming soon: Maruti's 'nano' @ Rs 300,000-800pxsuzuki_mrwagon_2006.jpg
And this is the new MR Wagon.

The Estilo we have is an older generation MR Wagon. The TOI journo must have googled for MR Wagon and put the first pic he got on the article.

But I doubt if either of these cars would make anyone interested. Maybe they can get their kei-spec 660cc engines from Japan to reduce costs.
Old 29th November 2011, 19:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Firstly at 3L it will hardly be a nano.

Now Estillo is an interesting proposition. It is most probably the worst car in Maruti's portfolio. And if they manage to pull of an Eeco it will be great.

But the other option could be ditch the worthless Estillo and spend some some for developing quality cars. The only aspirational car they have at present is Swift. So working on Ritz and making it a worthy competitor of I20 would be a good project.

Similarly improving the interiors of Alto K10 can be a brillianr idea as it can pierce the Eon right though the heart.

All in all IMO the 3L Estillo (if they launch will be a super flop.)
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 19:29   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Now Estillo is an interesting proposition. It is most probably the worst car in Maruti's portfolio. And if they manage to pull of an Eeco it will be great.
I don't think Maruti will repeat the blunder of introducing the character-less MR Wagon again in India.
But as you mentioned, Maruti can do an Eeco by stripping Estilo and pricing it around 2.5L, by fitting the F8 engine.

Quote:
But the other option could be ditch the worthless Estillo and spend some some for developing quality cars. The only aspirational car they have at present is Swift. So working on Ritz and making it a worthy competitor of I20 would be a good project.
Heard earlier about a back-lifted Ritz is coming. Any update? That car will be good competitor to i20 and Figo.

Quote:
Similarly improving the interiors of Alto K10 can be a brillianr idea as it can pierce the Eon right though the heart.
IMO, the Cervo will serve Maruti as an Eon competitor in terms of style and price.
Old 29th November 2011, 23:09   #12
SDP
Team-BHP Support

So many things don't make sense here:
1. (As mentioned by others), at 3L, its hardly in the Nano price range and there are other offerings from Maruti in <3L range.
2. Nano itself has been a disaster in terms of sales. Maruti mimicking Tatas for a car that is not doing too well itself does not sound logical.
3. (Repeating my comment from the recent Alto scoop thread), Maruti should really do something NEW and stop dishing out minor variations of the same old hatch design.

In the absolute-entry-level hatch segment, someone needs to crack the puzzle: "how to make something really affordable to the masses while ensuring that the product does not feel cheap.". Hyundai with its Eon seem to be on the right track.

Last edited by SDP : 29th November 2011 at 23:10.
Old 29th November 2011, 23:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sub 800cc could be kei class 660cc engines?
Imo that would be more expensive,because they need to make an entire production line for it.

I think the indian consumer is not looking at cheap anymore,they want value,even at this price point,and hyundai is showing how to do it with the eon.
Old 29th November 2011, 23:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Altough I doubt it but it could be the new Alto which was recently spotted in Haryana\Delhi. Check this link

Spotted New Alto
Old 29th November 2011, 23:58   #15
BANNED

Quote:
working on Ritz and making it a worthy competitor of I20 would be a good project.
My take on making Ritz an i20 / Figo / Jazz competitor is:

1. Modify the rear
2. Length to be increased to 3900mm, keeping the width same.
3. Bootspace: 280 Litres

Features:

LXi / LDi:
AC, PS, power windows (4), internally adjustable ORVM, internal boot lid and fuel lid opener, fog lamps, central locking

VXi / VDi:
LXi / LDi + Music system, alloy wheels, rear washer-wiper, Bluetooth, USB

ZXi / ZDi:
VXi / VDi + Airbags, ABS, leather seats, steering mounted audio controls, ACC, parking sensor, electric ORVM

Keep current Ritz at the same price level, name the new one as, say, SuperRitz, and price it at:

LXi : 4.5L
VXi : 5L
ZXi : 6L

LDi : 5.5L
VDi : 6L
ZDi : 7L

And looks?
Attached Thumbnails
Coming soon: Maruti's 'nano' @ Rs 300,000-29112011773.jpg  

Most Viewed