Team-BHP - Volkswagen to Launch Porsche Sports Cars
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Volkswagen to Launch Porsche Sports Cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/111750-volkswagen-launch-porsche-sports-cars.html)

Source & Full Article on Economic Times

Quote:

911, Cayman, Boxter, Panamere & Cayenne SUV to hit road next year

Volkswagen AG, Europe’s largest carmaker, will launch the iconic Porsche sports car marquee in India next year and appoint a new team to steer its sales in the overcrowded Indian automobile market.
Two people close to the development said Volkswagen will import the Porsche models 911, Cayman, Boxter, Panamere and Cayenne SUV for the Indian market and look at local assembly at one of its facilities in Maharashtra when volumes pick up.

Interesting, looks like Porsche have heard the voice of the customer after the various dissatisfactions of Ferrari owners etc

I had mentioned this very same news a while ago on the Forum and a certain Member..said i was spreading rumours of Porsche Withdrawing from Shreyans Motors to make their own path into the Country and he's in touch with manufacturers, guess they only tell him about models and not business stratergies..anyways everyone sees the light now...A step in the right direction by Porsche.

Ajmat the company had seen the light a while ago but due to their contract could not do anything. The minute the time for renewal came they withdrew on grounds of the same person cannot have a similar genre car dealership and he wont do justice to both. They also have more complain letters than thank you letters from clients and its very rare that someone goes back and deals with the Bombay and Delhi showroom unless its the last resort. I dealt with him in his Audi days and have never gone back to buy any car or bike under his flag.

Speedy, I also heard that this was happening quite some time back. Rumours of the current principal reneging on the property terms and conditions. Also, a major dealer was to take on the franchise but was expected to pay up for 4 vehicles all the timemade it not viable

In today's world when someone puts 70 lac plus on a car he expects good service and better customer relationship management.
What VW has done is very good for the customers as it eliminates middle man read Precision Cars. VW selling directly through its own Porsche dealership results in direct interaction with the customers. It will be better every manufacturers sets up its own dealership rather than sourcing through other as it makes the middleman take the customer for a ride as its the sole way of interacting with the manufacturer.
Hope VW does the same with Lamborghini and Bugatti brands too and have local manufacturing of Cayenne and Cayman.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 2594285)
Speedy, I also heard that this was happening quite some time back. Rumours of the current principal reneging on the property terms and conditions. Also, a major dealer was to take on the franchise but was expected to pay up for 4 vehicles all the timemade it not viable

Very true, the thought process started in March itself. Bombay was closed off in September itself and Delhi is slated for December shut down. Porsche has also withdrawn exclusive importer right to the Delhi company and now cars can be directly imported by the dealers of other states. I was informed the Punjab dealer was not given display cars for a long time. The Current principal has been Reneging on all bases, he just does not seem to care. I was told the Outstanding to Porsche is in the 1cr bracket and anyone who wants to take dealership has to clear the due over and above the dealership cost.

It definitely the step in the right direction but not a whole hearted step. What i'd have like to see is Porsche first making the committment whole heartedly to India and start with assembling the lower end models rather than waiting and watching if the sales pick up then start with assembling.

In the former approach it shows committment and has better chances of a more positive outcome, i.e. selling more cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kumarsiddhi (Post 2594358)
It definitely the step in the right direction but not a whole hearted step. What i'd have like to see is Porsche first making the committment whole heartedly to India and start with assembling the lower end models rather than waiting and watching if the sales pick up then start with assembling.

In the former approach it shows committment and has better chances of a more positive outcome, i.e. selling more cars.

I would not agree with you Kumarsiddhi. The reason for this is the company has made a commitment and would stick to it..they however are unsure due to the low sales of the Boxster and Cayman compared to other brand cars in the same category. I am sure even you and me will analyze the situation and then take a step forward..i thought a 100 times before buying the Q7 even though the dealer is different..this is a few hundred crores at stake for the company. I am sure soon they will realise it was not the product but the product seller that was hampering their sales and will utilise the VW plant to bring in the lower line up in CKD.

Porsche could asemble cars in Pune!

"Volkswagen AG, Europe’s largest auto maker is going to launch its Porsche brand of sports cars in the Indian market next year. The company will also be appointing a new team of sales and marketing personnel to handle the sales in this rapidly growing Indian automobile market. people close to the development said that Volkswagen is initially planning to import the Porsche 911, the Porsche Cayman, the Boxster, the Panamera and the Cayenne SUV initially for the Indian market with the option of local assembling of these models at the Volkswagen manufacturing facility in Pune depending upon the demand conditions"

Porsche Could Assemble Cars In India | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

When we say local assembling,that would mean CKD kits where everything is imported and put together or will they have some local sourcing also?

Does porsche do local assembling in any of their other markets?

From what i understand from some relevant known people is that almost all the dealerships will remain as they are (including Porsche Centre Mumbai & Delhi) while the import of Porsche vehicles will be the responsibilty of Porsche India based out of the VW office. It was a contract at the end of the day and contracts do end.Even if Porsche considers assembling at a later stage it is highly unlikely that any part manufacturing is done in India.I am looking forward to the situation with Cayenne Diesels and the availability of the same as Porsche could just not produce the number of cars India (incl. the rest of the world) wanted. Also the other thing is the Panamera Diesel pricing, as if it is anywhere close to its actual rivals, it should do well here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avishar (Post 2596225)
When we say local assembling,that would mean CKD kits where everything is imported and put together or will they have some local sourcing also?

Does porsche do local assembling in any of their other markets?

I don't think localization is the path that VW/Porsche would adopt.

The demand will never be so high that it would warrant for complete assembly with localization as well, for any car in the Porsche stable.

CKD/SKD will be the norm, and only for a select few models too. I'm assuming that Porsche will assemble the Cayenne and the Panamera (the base variants, the diesels and the hybrids only). The 911, Cayman, Boxster and the top-end Turbo variants of the Cayenne and Panamera will still be imported via CBU.

What this means is that Porsche will be looking to take full control over their service centers and dealerships across the country, instead of leaving it to incompetent dealerships like Shreyans Motors.

If Porsche manages to sell 50-100 units collectively, every month, they would achieve their goal.

Am not sure about the local assembly story. Porsche only assemble Boxsters in Finland due to capacity constraints but to my knowledge they are not assembled anywhere else in the world outside Weissach, Valmet and Eisnach (where the Cayenne is built along side the Touerg)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 2596815)
Am not sure about the local assembly story. Porsche only assemble Boxsters in Finland due to capacity constraints but to my knowledge they are not assembled anywhere else in the world outside Weissach, Valmet and Eisnach (where the Cayenne is built along side the Touerg)

Isnt Panamera bodies made by Magna Steyr?Remember reading something like that.

Local assembly wont be happening in a jiffy,Porsche i dont think sells more that 300-350 units a year,in the initial years they used to do 200-250 units,befoire cayenne came.