Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 20:27   #1
BHPian

Toyota to launch new SUV in India

Found this article in CartradeIndia.com

Quote:
The Indian unit of the Japanese auto giant Toyota Motors is working on the development of a new Rs 10 to 12 lakh Sports Utility Vehicle in the Indian market, as per the recent tweet of Mr. Hormazd Sorabjee, Autocar India. As per the media reports, the new SUV from the Toyota portfolio will be launched in the price segment of Rs 10 to 12 lakh, where it will be competing with the likes of Mahindra Scorpio, recently launched Mahindra XUV 500, Tata Aria, Tata Safari Merlin and Force One.

The new Toyota SUV will be developed on the modified platform of Etios model that made its debut in the Indian auto market about a year back.

The decision of launching a new SUV in the volume segment seems to have been taken in a bid to tap the increasing demand for the SUVs in the country. The multi utility vehicle Toyota Innova has already been a major success of the car maker in India as Innova has been leading MUV segment since its launch in the country. The company is now looking forward to give the SUV segment another segment leader by launching this new model.

The rapidly growing SUV segment is attracting a number of multinational car makers to launch their models in the Indian market. Even the largest car maker Maruti Suzuki will showcase a concept version its upcoming SUV at the Delhi Auto Expo in January 2012.
If they do launch this SUV, I wish they do a proper job.

Mod:dint find a existing thread, please merge if already discussed.
arvindmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 20:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota to launch new SUV in India

Great Find !!
There arent any SUVs in the Toyota lineup that could be brought here at 10-12 lacs Ex show. I think they will have to start from scratch.

From the pictures it appears to be a "Ritz" styled SUV with just 5 seats. If its a 5 seater SUV for 10-12 lacs, it has already met its doom (read Yeti) . On a broad note, Toyota and Sqoda quality&reliability are almost same. This looks like a Liva on steroids. If there are cheaper options like Mini Xylo, Ecosport, Dacia Duster etc, Then a 5 seater SUV @ 12 lacs is not going to sell on par with competiotion.

A 7-8 lac Etios looks bland,cost-cut and is underequipped. I hope for 12 lacs they do not launch an SUV like Bolero / Thar. If they launch an SUV at XUV price, that itself would be a gamechanger. I do not wish that Toyota competes at Scorpio/Xylo/Grande segment with this SUV.

XUV Price + 1.5 lacs more for Toyota Brand and reliability will do the trick at least for me. XUV or near about features with a semi-butch look and Toyota reliability will be useful to tap the segment who love the fortuner but can afford only an XUV/Innova (Take me as an example).

Last edited by scopriobharath : 30th November 2011 at 20:42.
Old 30th November 2011, 20:38   #3
Team-BHP Support

Whoa! A Toyota SUV in the 10 to 12 lakhs range?! That *could* be amazing news; depending on how well they package it. If in the name of a well-priced SUV, they pass off an Etios equivalent, they wouldn't be doing themselves much a favour.

Going by the rough sketch as mentioned in the link, it looks like a pimped up version Beat; wonder how well they transform it into a SUV.

But tell me one thing - if the supposed SUV does comes out, what will happen to the Innova do then? Anyway XUV and Xylo haven't made things exactly simple for the Innova; Merlin might just gate-crash too.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 20:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

Finally the X-over segment is waking up. I would have been happy, if they had got in the
RAV4. But nonetheless, it would very nice to wait and watch!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 20:46   #5
BHPian

After seeing Etios cost cutting, one should not expect much from this SUV. There is no competition to XUV500 if Mahindra does not increase the price.
Old 30th November 2011, 21:06   #6
BHPian

We already have a generic thought of "If its TATA or M&M, then, it should not be priced more than X Lakhs. If its TOYOTA or HONDA, then, it shall be priced like X+5 Lakhs".
Now, looking at the image and the Etios platform, we should be ready to accept "If its TOYOTA, this can be called SUV. If its TATA or M&M, then, it should be called a HATCH".
kaviprem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 21:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Finally the X-over segment is waking up. I would have been happy, if they had got in the
RAV4. But nonetheless, it would very nice to wait and watch!
RAV4 is a fortuner segment vehicle in other countries. It is unlikely in my view that they would bring in the RAV4. Moreover, RAV4 at 12 lacs heck even 16 lacs ex showroom seems lucrative to me.
Old 30th November 2011, 21:43   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
We already have a generic thought of "If its TATA or M&M, then, it should not be priced more than X Lakhs. If its TOYOTA or HONDA, then, it shall be priced like X+5 Lakhs".
Now, looking at the image and the Etios platform, we should be ready to accept "If its TOYOTA, this can be called SUV. If its TATA or M&M, then, it should be called a HATCH".
Would like to know your answer for Aria's 300 odd numbers against a Fortuner's 900+ odd units MOM, in spite of Fortuner being quite low on features compared to Aria and significantly costlier than Aria.

Customers will be ready to pay X+5 Lakhs for TATA, just like Toyota / Honda, but TATA should give the SAME bullet proof reliability as well. That's a fair expectation?

We are looking at a concept of the SUV & there is hardly any chance the production version is going to look like this.

On the Etios platform sales, the Etios twins have NOT been run-away hits like some other Toyota products - so Indian market knows what they want, even if it's a Toyota and makes their buying decision accordingly! Remember the kind of price correction Honda did in the recent past. So, I am sorry but I don't think your generalizations hold ground.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th November 2011 at 21:45.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 21:59   #9
BHPian

A Toyota SUV at 10-12 lakhs with the same reliability will be awesome. Any comment/guess at this point will be pure speculation. However if it really gets based on the Etios platform then it goes off my interest list instantly. I had evaluated a diesel Etios sometime back and to say that it was a BIG disappointment will be an understatement.
A Duster scale non-tin-body, decent interior, 5-str Toyota SUV will really stir up the pot.
Old 30th November 2011, 22:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The new Toyota SUV will be developed on the modified platform of Etios model that made its debut in the Indian auto market about a year back.
I hope this do not end up with competing to Rio

But if they could get a SUV for that range, then for sure it will change the whole picture of that segment. Anyway, its not our thing to worry. We should be happy to get more choices. So, the worry is for TATA & M&M !!!
Old 30th November 2011, 22:08   #11
BHPian

Why bother with a new vehicle. If Toyota just takes the bells and whistles - 4WD, leather etc - out of the fortuner and is a little less greedy on its profit margins - they can easily take over 4 lacs off the Fortuners current price. That can really give a fright to the likes of XUV500, Aria and Force 10.
manishk123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 22:55   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Why bother with a new vehicle. If Toyota just takes the bells and whistles - 4WD, leather etc - out of the fortuner and is a little less greedy on its profit margins - they can easily take over 4 lacs off the Fortuners current price. That can really give a fright to the likes of XUV500, Aria and Force 10.
But at the same time that will also dilute the car's brand perception and value in terms of a status symbol. More then half of the Fortuners are sold only to satisfy that criterion.

If the news is correct lets just hope that they give us a SUV having better interiors than the Etios.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 23:06   #13
BHPian

The India market is becoming competitive so more value for money is being delivered across segments and I don't think Toyota has given any indication they can compete here.

Another cut down India or Asia only money will meet a lukewarm response IMHO. We need game changers like XUV. Maybe Renault and Ford can add some spice and Volkswagen will reevaluate the Yeti's pricing.

None of these vehicles are cut down products like what Toyota has recently launched, even the mighty City is seeing multiple price cuts. A budget SUV for 12 lakhs is not what the market wants IMHO, cut down products will only look expensive and unattractive to the buyers in the face of choice. I think its the new entrants who will rock the market.

Last edited by raul : 30th November 2011 at 23:08.
Old 30th November 2011, 23:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Would like to know your answer for Aria's 300 odd numbers against a Fortuner's 900+ odd units MOM, in spite of Fortuner being quite low on features compared to Aria and significantly costlier than Aria.

Customers will be ready to pay X+5 Lakhs for TATA, just like Toyota / Honda, but TATA should give the SAME bullet proof reliability as well. That's a fair expectation?

We are looking at a concept of the SUV & there is hardly any chance the production version is going to look like this.

On the Etios platform sales, the Etios twins have NOT been run-away hits like some other Toyota products - so Indian market knows what they want, even if it's a Toyota and makes their buying decision accordingly! Remember the kind of price correction Honda did in the recent past. So, I am sorry but I don't think your generalizations hold ground.
Quality comes at a cost. As swiftnfurious mentioned, I am ready to pay X+5 to tata IF i get the same bullet proof reliability and the dealer experience of toyota or Honda. Tata charges almost the same money as an innova but does not offer the same reliability. indian21r's thread is a very live example. Taking the many threads on Innova/Fortuner ownership reviews, there is hardly one issue of braking reported, which toyota fixed by upgrading the brakes.

I am sure the SUV will not even remotely look like the one in the picture. toyota would have definetly seen Yeti's poor sales chart with their so called german counterpart, who matches them in quality and reliability. The formula is to be Macho, appealing, filled with features and Cheap. this is the mantra for the indian market.
Old 30th November 2011, 23:30   #15
BHPian

Hmmm first of all i cant see Toyota launching an entry level suv anytime soon.

Lets not forget that people were anticipating the launch of the Fortuner for years before it actually came down to our shores.

As stated above , the best thing would be to cut down the prices of the Fortuner , i know this is not possible but whats the harm in dreaming

Also is Fortuner still considered to be a status symbol ??
I know it costs 20 lakhs + but they are literally everywhere !!
Its like an Innova in the 20 lakh bracket :P

Most Viewed