Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy a limited edition variant?
Yes 62 28.84%
No 69 32.09%
Maybe 84 39.07%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Would you buy a limited edition variant?

I voted 'YES' but with certain conditions attached.

A Limited Edition should actually be 'Exclusive' and not just a marketing strategy. My previous car was a Santro XO XS aka Limited Edition. This really was a true exclusive variant since it had the following features available exclusively:
* RPM Needle - No other Santro ever had and to date does not have I guess
* 60:40 Split rear seats - not that I used this in my 3yr ownership but could have
* Exclusive Red upholstry and door inserts - Not great but different from the crowd
* My car came with Body coloured Mirrors, Bumpers, Rear Defogger, Washer, Spoiler, Alloys, Music system with 4 speakers, Fog Lamps, Chrome Grills and Chrome door handles on the inside.

I still remember once during a regular service check, this gentleman who walked up a service advisor and asked him how much would it cost for his regular santro to get these add ons to which he got the reply "Sir, these are build from the Factory and you just can't add these things on, well not all". I had a Huge on my face when I heard this. I never had a situation to replace any part or wait for the same so I cannot comment on that.

On the other hand, there were these swifts that were launched sometime back known as the Millionth edition (I guess) by Maruthi and these were just Show offs. The SE's always called them the Limited Edition Swifts and would promote them more than Diesels.
They just had some weird graphics, leather Look-alike upholstry, wheel covers and I guess speakers without the Head unit. I mean common this is not a Limited Edition "SUZUKI", I call this "Smart Stock Clearance".

Last edited by Vik0728 : 2nd December 2011 at 10:43.
Old 2nd December 2011, 14:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
I would only if it makes sense or should I say it is value for Money. For example, providing top variant features in base model too - like automatic, ABS and airbags in base model and pricing it correctly.
This is a good thought but i have never seen any manufactuerer offer top end model features on the lower models. They always add cosmetic things only like stickering leather seats etc.

But i would really like to see a base model equipped with ABS+Airbag+Transfer
Old 2nd December 2011, 14:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
This is a good thought but i have never seen any manufactuerer offer top end model features on the lower models. They always add cosmetic things only like stickering leather seats etc.

But i would really like to see a base model equipped with ABS+Airbag+Transfer
One company by name Honda is actually doing it atleast in Honda City.
BTW what is meant by "Transfer" mentioned above?
Quote:
I would only if it makes sense or should I say it is value for Money. For example, providing top variant features in base model too - like automatic, ABS and airbags in base model and pricing it correctly.
Doesn't it sound like Top variant less discounts and offers.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Quote:
Doesn't it sound like Top variant less discounts and offers.

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2011 at 15:48. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

The limited edition cars sold in India, that I've taken a liking to?

- Fiat Palio S10

- Maruti Zen Carbon/Steel

It's the only limited edition Maruti I'd ever buy!

+1 to that. I used to drive a Zen Carbon years back. Probably the best Zen ever.

OTOH - I have my eyes set on a nice clean S10 for a few years now. But it's a gift to the owner from someone special. And I know he won't sell.
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
One company by name Honda is actually doing it atleast in Honda City.
BTW what is meant by "Transfer" mentioned above?
4X4 Transfer Case .

I would have liked to see the Xylo celebration edition with a 4X4 transfer case. This could have also been used as a feeler on how the market would responsd to a 4X4 MUV
Old 2nd December 2011, 17:36   #36
BHPian

Well, I own a limited Edition, First Anniversary Indica Vista! It's got a nice golden color and a black roof. Apart from that, Alloy wheels and a full leather interior.

Its a nice package overall and definitely better than the normal one.
That said, since it is a TATA, it has its share of niggles.
Old 2nd December 2011, 18:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Well, I own a limited Edition, First Anniversary Indica Vista! It's got a nice golden color and a black roof. Apart from that, Alloy wheels and a full leather interior.

Its a nice package overall and definitely better than the normal one.
That said, since it is a TATA, it has its share of niggles.
So does that make it a (Limited Niggles) Edition.

Last edited by carwatcher : 2nd December 2011 at 18:41.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 20:06   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
So does that make it a (Limited Niggles) Edition.
Nope. Not at all limited Niggles Edition. :P

Its service is due in some time, I've made a list of 30+ problems.
Old 2nd December 2011, 23:21   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Limited editions in India are variants thought up some yuppie in Marketing to try and move dead stock of slow-moving variants off the shelf, case in point the Fiesta petrol and Vento/Polo petrol. The sad thing is that this hardly ever works and within months a new limited edition is launched.

There are some horrendous looking 'special editions' out there, especially from the likes of Maruti. You have to be the attention-grabbing kind or truly taste-deficient to own one of those, in my opinion.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 23:24   #40
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Limited editions in India are variants thought up some yuppie in Marketing to try and move dead stock of slow-moving variants off the shelf,.
Yeah, in such a situation they are trying to limit the number of dead stock. What an euphemism.

On second thought to the original question, I would buy a limited edition if only something "real" is offered. Like a new hot rod engine or some smashing feature. No cosmetics for me.

Last edited by dot : 2nd December 2011 at 23:31.
Old 3rd December 2011, 12:31   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Limited editions in India are variants thought up some yuppie in Marketing to try and move dead stock of slow-moving variants off the shelf, case in point the Fiesta petrol and Vento/Polo petrol. The sad thing is that this hardly ever works and within months a new limited edition is launched.

There are some horrendous looking 'special editions' out there, especially from the likes of Maruti. You have to be the attention-grabbing kind or truly taste-deficient to own one of those, in my opinion.
Maruti definitely makes the worst Limited edition variants. Just some huge ugly graphics on the side and a basic music system and there you have it! A limited edition variant by Maruti! A stock clearance tactic that's all.

Last edited by DeKay : 3rd December 2011 at 12:33.
Old 3rd December 2011, 17:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Maruti definitely makes the worst Limited edition variants. Just some huge ugly graphics on the side and a basic music system and there you have it! A limited edition variant by Maruti! A stock clearance tactic that's all.
For "Kitna deti hai?" car buying junta that is enough from Maruti to be considered as "Limited Edition".
Old 5th December 2011, 17:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

Yes, there have been literally not many vehicles worth their salt which got performance upgrades in their limited edition avataars in our market. Though strictly not a limited edition, Octavia RS was a great example of both performance upgrade and looks in terms of unique colors such as that bright yellow. Still brings on a smile seeing those beauties
Old 6th December 2011, 23:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In 2007 Santro was a best seller and it was doing 6000-8000 units per month. There was no need to launch a limited edition there.

I noticed one thing, post this 2007 limited edition series, all santro seats changed from the conventional grey color to red and black combo.
Old 7th December 2011, 00:03   #45
BHPian

Chevrolet launched limited editions of Optra Magnum with Sun Roof and other goodies and it was all the worth

Most Viewed