Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a limited edition variant?
Yes 62 28.84%
No 69 32.09%
Maybe 84 39.07%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 20:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Would you buy a limited edition variant?

There have been several manufacturers who have launched limited edition variants of their popular and not so popular models. These vehicles either have had performance upgrades or improved interiors or cosmetic changes that differentiated them from the stock vehicles. The limited edition variant have been launched panning across the model range right from hatchbacks, sedans to SUVs.
Some of the many limited editions launched till now-
Polo/ Vento Breeze
Ritz Genius
Alto Excite
Innova Special Edition
Verito Executive

There have been many more. So the question is would you buy a limited edition and your reason for it and if you would not then the reason to substantiate it.
Old 1st December 2011, 20:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Would you buy a limited edition variant?

Limited editions are almost always VFM or atleast add VFM with some extra features thrown in.

I remember the Fiesta Limited Edition (diesel) selling for 7lacs flat. It was very difficult to match the VFM that car gave.

So, YES, I would definitely buy a limited edition, if I'm planning to buy that car, and the equipment list/price suits me.
Old 1st December 2011, 20:25   #3
BANNED

Yes I might buy if top end variant with additional features of the car I like the most comes with it.
The car with low end variant with little more features doesn't appeal to me as I always buys top end variants.
Old 1st December 2011, 20:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Would a special edition swing a purchase decision? No!

Would I buy a special edition of a car I was anyways going to purchase? Yes, if the accessories/giveaways are VFM and useful.

Would I buy a special edition of a Maruti car? Never! I hate those ghastly decals they create for nonsense such as the Swift Glam (limited to that extent), Estilo Sports etc. Why pay for self-torture?!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 21:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have just voted 'yes'. I would definitely buy a Limited Edition varaint of a car as it usually comes loaded with goodies or power tweaks or both.

Some of the classic 'Limited Edition' models in India that I would have definitely bought if I were in the market for one at that time are - Maruti-Suzuki Zen Carbon & Steel (the 3-door export-surplus stunner), Hyundai Santro XO Limited Edition (with all 4 power windows and snazzy alloy wheels), Tata Indica Vista Anniversary Edition (awesome dual-tone paint job and killer alloys) and the Ford Fiesta Diesel Limited Edition (unbeatable VFM).

Having said that, I hate the so-called namesake 'limited edition' models like Maruti-Suzuki's Ritz Genus, Swift Glam and Swift Anniversary, Ford Endeavour Hurricane, Toyota Innova Special Edition and Mahindra Verito Executive.

Last edited by arvi86 : 1st December 2011 at 21:01.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 21:05   #6
Team-BHP Support

Which LE cars have come with a performance upgrade in India? None that I can think of.
Old 1st December 2011, 21:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

I voted for 'Maybe'
That's because, in our country, Limited editions vary from 'cost cut' variants (Fiesta Classic about 2 years ago) to notorious sticker jobs (Alto Xcite) to weird models that make you cringe ( Logan Music edition with Red alloys anyone?) I stumbled upon seeing the VW's Breeze editions of Polo and Vento, which sem to have Butterfly pictures on the C pillars!
I still am waiting for a true limited edition which would come with more horses under the hood, sporty alloys, wider tyres, smoked head lamps, special (but decent) body colour and full black interiors complete with drilled pedals to complete the Sports limited edition!
Old 1st December 2011, 21:28   #8
BANNED

YES!

I would definitely buy the limited edition if I was going to purchase the same car anyways.

When I was choosing the Ritz VDi, just then Maruti came out with the Ritz Genus edition. The only deal breaker for me was the colour. the most important feature was rear wash/wipe which is absent in the Normally available VDi.
Old 1st December 2011, 21:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

LE for the heck of it? NO.

A LE for a car which I already have my eyes on? Maybe.

Boils down to what is thrown in the package. Like phamilyfam said, no way a LE MSIL product. Prefer my car clean than have bizarre graphics.
Old 1st December 2011, 21:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg
These vehicles either have had performance upgrades or improved interiors or cosmetic changes that differentiated them from the stock vehicles. The limited edition variant have been launched panning across the model range right from hatchbacks, sedans to SUVs.
Performance Upgrade - Are you talking about Power Upgrade and/or ride quality improvement in Limited Edition?

If so, NONE of the limited edition introduced in India has any kind of performance upgrade. What all they do is some ugly sticker jobs on body and some extra so called comfort features.

By the way, I voted No to the poll if it's only sticker jobs and some extra features but if they come up with more powerful version of a car as a limited edition even at a premium, I will buy it.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 1st December 2011 at 21:39.
Old 1st December 2011, 21:40   #11
Team-BHP Support

I'd by a limited edition variant of a car that I like. Not because there is a car available and it has a limited edition.

Limited Editions of cars are generally conceptualized for the sole purpose of pushing the sales and clearing stock. No limited edition has ever had a power-bump from the factory. No limited edition car in India has ever been launched for the purpose of ensuring exclusivity ONLY.

The limited edition cars sold in India, that I've taken a liking to?

- Fiat Palio S10

- Maruti Zen Carbon/Steel

It's the only limited edition Maruti I'd ever buy!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st December 2011 at 21:42.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 21:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would buy a limited Edition IF:
  • The Limited edition is on the top of the line model and not in intermediate models.(Xylo launched an anniversary edition on E6)
  • The Limited edition features adds some value to the car (Not just stickers).(Maurti Swift VXI Limited)
  • There are indeed new features that are factory fit (May or may not be available as an aftermarket fitment)(Example smoke finish wooden panel from Toyota Crysta)(Orignal Italian Leather on Xylo Anniv edition)
  • Should not contain any degraded features from existing models. (Cyclic to bullet 1)
  • Production is indeed stopped after couple of 1000 units at the max(Toyota Sienna limited in USA is available for unlimited period in unlimited numbers from the dealers/company)
Features of my Limited Edtion Car. (Features were new in 2007). All features are factory fit features.
  • Red and Black Seat Combo
  • Red Door Trims
  • Internal Chrome door-open Handles
  • Rear Spoiler with LED
  • Fog Lamps
  • Rear Wash and Wiper
  • Body colored Outer Door handles and mirrors.
  • Limited Edtion Sticker (Did not receive, Dealer Cheated)
  • All 5 Alloy wheels
  • Unique Center Power Window Console
  • Tachometer
  • Rear Defogger
  • Rear Parcel Tray
  • Plastic lined Recess in the Door handle
  • Chrome accented 3-line grill.
I own a 2007 Hyundai Santro Limited edition, but there are so many problems that i have faced with replacement parts.
Unfortunately i met with an accident and had to service the car.

The part shown in the picture below had to be sourced from Korea and it cost me nearly 2000/- with labor. I had to wait for nearly a month before i got the part. Other than HMP other dealers refuse to order the part for me. Secondly, the rear tailgate had to be replaced but was replaced with a "Generic" Santro rear door, which did not have the recess.

So the point i want to convey w.r.t limited editions is that spare-part support is not a limited edition part. It is a generic part. P.S. the comment is w.r.t santro 2007 delivered to me only.

Would you buy a limited edition variant?-img_2912.jpg

Last edited by scopriobharath : 1st December 2011 at 22:07.
scopriobharath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 22:03   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i would not buy a limited edition type vehicle especially in India where for the most part the changes made are merely blingy and cosmetic in nature. the auto manufacturers marketing is more about form than function in most cases and I would any day prefer function over form. here, they can get away with some rubbishy re-badging and some cheap decals and other bunk and still call it a limited edition. I dont support that at all.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 22:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

It's interesting to see the even spread of votes.

I'd never buy a LE variant simply because it is what it is, but if I were going to be buying that particular car anyways, why not? For a few extra features, you pretty much get a VFM proposition that is hard to pass up. A simple facelift with a LE badge won't cut it in my books, as I imagine it won't for many on here. By and large though, LE variants definitely make for an interesting option personally speaking.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 22:35   #15
BHPian

I would, but only the sort of LE that would give me the feeling of driving a special car. The sort that i'd want to keep with me for a long time. The sort that would make fellow enthusiasts go green.
Examples:
- The Fiat Palio S10
- Zen Carbon and Steel

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks