Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: YOUR Car of the Year 2011?
Hyundai Eon 84 3.20%
Honda Brio 134 5.10%
Toyota Liva 35 1.33%
Maruti Swift 183 6.97%
Nissan Sunny 53 2.02%
Skoda Rapid 109 4.15%
Hyundai Verna 260 9.90%
Ford Fiesta 47 1.79%
Force One 18 0.69%
Mahindra XUV5OO 1487 56.63%
Renault Fluence 22 0.84%
Volkswagen Jetta 56 2.13%
Suzuki Kizashi 14 0.53%
Volkswagen Passat 23 0.88%
Renault Koleos 7 0.27%
Volvo S60 32 1.22%
Audi A6 62 2.36%
Voters: 2626. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2011, 12:50   #151
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year 2011. EDIT : Mahindra XUV500 it is!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Would seriously request you to please refrain from making such a sweeping statement.
I guess he has quoted examples. And BTW, if we need to give a car "more time", that's absolutely fine, but it certainly doesn't deserve a COTY!
Old 6th December 2011, 12:58   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I am certainly surprised by the horde mentality at work here at Tbhp. I thought we were more analytical at our research here.
There's a fine line between attacking an idea and attacking a person behind the idea. So, yes, we can be more analytical and yes, you can give us examples where you think the XUV falters, but charging people with following a herd, seems unfair.

Quote:
That we have been voting blindly for the XUV certainly strengthens my belief the 'bling' sells for us Indians.
Yes, bling sells, and more crucially, Mahindra sells it well. They read the market better than a lot of other manufacturers (prime example being Tata Motors) and they've been giving the people what they want.

Quote:
Now if that is the 'Car of the Year' then God save us.
That's way too dramatic. It does look like the XUV may be the runaway winner, but I don't think we'll need to summon the Gods.

Quote:
Engineering finesse cannot be replaced with outer bling under any circumstances, in my honest opinion...
True. If the XUV is just outer bling, in the long run it'll fail, as simple as that. Let's just leave it at that.
Amartya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 13:45   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya
There's a fine line between attacking an idea and attacking a person behind the idea. So, yes, we can be more analytical and yes, you can give us examples where you think the XUV falters, but charging people with following a herd, seems unfair.
Amartya, agree with you but let's give the same degree of respect to dkaile. I voted for the XUV 500, and did not like the Fortuner while choosing my own car, but let's recognise that dkaile has, even if a bit strongly, brought out the fact that the XUV is untested on reliability, and some early reports do create a cause for concern.
Old 6th December 2011, 14:26   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
I guess he has quoted examples. And BTW, if we need to give a car "more time", that's absolutely fine, but it certainly doesn't deserve a COTY!
Yes, he has quoted examples, but that is very selective only to further his argument.
If you read through the various ownership threads, there has also been many positives mentioned about XUV. Please carefully compare the positives and negatives and analyse keeping your criteria's in mind.

Being sold out, only shows its acceptability among the customers. Not only the XUV exceeded our expectations, with it's design and feature sets, it is also offered at a price that makes a good product within reach of many a aspiring customer, who otherwise could not have hoped to own one in future.

Also, every product has it glitches. Fine, Toyota's are a quality product, then can you explain the reason for their huge recalls?

Every product matures through it lifecycle and just dismissing the product owing to it's initial glitches is highly irrational and immature.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 6th December 2011 at 14:28.
Old 6th December 2011, 14:35   #155
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Lets get back to the topic, and allow new voters to provide the reasoning behind their choice. XUV500 debates can continue on the XUV500 review thread.
Old 6th December 2011, 14:41   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Either you haven't driven the XUV or are unnecessarily biased against it. Lets keep the bling aside:

Great engine. Check
Balanced ride & handling. Check
Nice steering. Check
Spacious 1st & 2nd row of seats. Check
Good brakes. Check
Low turbolag for city driveability. Check
Expressway cruising ability. Check
VFM price. Check

For the price, yes, the XUV500 offers solid engineering. Sure, there are disadvantages too, including the poor 3rd row and lack of luggage space with the last row in place, and these have all been amply highlit in our official review. But there is no denying that the XUV is a g-i-a-n-t step ahead for Mahindra in terms of engineering. Mind you, so is the Aria for Tata. Only problem is that the Aria wasn't priced right.

Now, add some bling to an already competent product, and you have an absolute winner. Hey, at the end of the day, it's not just enthusiasts but even the market that loves the XUV. Mind you, that's a rare combination.

Mahindra & Tata suffer from niggles, that's a known fact. As a lover of reliability, I'll be the first to say it's inexcusable. But atleast the XUV is priced right. The Fortuner - that costs 10 lakhs more - only scores in reliability and offroad ability over the XUV. However, in other areas, INCLUDING comfort, equipment, interior styling, ride and handling, the XUV blows the Fortuner away. That's saying a lot for a home grown product, ain't it?

Spend a couple of hundred kms in the XUV. Not only will you be surprised, but if you keep an open mind, you will change your opinion as well.
I completely agree with GTO on the XUV. After having owned it for 20 days now, it still breaks new ground in its technology, comfort and overall package. Mahindra also made a very smart move by positioning at a very lucrative price point, which resulted in tremendous sales. If you ask me, they could have sold as many quantities (2k per month) even if it were price 1.5 lacs higher than what it is currently.
The XUV, inspite of its initial niggles, will settle down to become the best VFM proposition in the 10-15 lacs category, be it cars or SUVs.
I wish all car manufacturers thought like Mahindra when positioning (at least price wise!) their products!
My vote goes wholeheartedly for the XUV!

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 15:51   #157
BHPian

Voted for the VW Jetta . I prefer good engineering , fantastic build quality , amazing engine which is built to last . I strongly believe that Honda , VW & Toyota invest a lot in quality and their vehicles bring you smiles even after several years of low cost ownership.

i own an OHC 2003 which still gives me smiles after logging 80k , the plastic and the interior build quality is top class after 8 years .

Having said that XUV is truly VFM product and all marks to Mahindra for taking on the global biggies .
Fortuner71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 16:44   #158
BHPian

I voted for XUV5OO simply for Mahindra's chutzpah - they understood what Indians want and did everything right, from product features to pricing and in the process are setting a new benchmark in the segment.

I also liked Eon, Verna, and Swift for their intent, panache, and market acceptability.
Old 6th December 2011, 16:53   #159
j76
BHPian

I too voted for the XUV500 because of the great value for money that this Mahindra vehicle brings. Reliability to a certain extent is not tested, but reliability in my humble opinion is not a parameter to rate a "Car of the Year". It probably will work for "Car of the Decade" in 2020 ;-). The XUV ticks all of the other boxes that I would have looked for (looks, engine, price, innovation, popularity). Great job by Anand Mahindra & team !!!

The Hyundai Verna is another car that has turned its image around this year and needs a worthy mention.
Old 6th December 2011, 16:57   #160
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
For the past 10 years, this segment has seen scorpio and safari.
XUV500 is a departure from both of them
Voted for XUV500. Reason as mentioned above!
This is a car which has created a new segment in terms of pricing a SUV. The cheapest good (in terms of ride and handling, comfort, VFM pricing, etc.) SUV one could buy till date was Captiva retailing at around 19 lakhs. But XUV500 is a gamechanger. It has simply blown away the competition!
Old 6th December 2011, 17:13   #161
BHPian

Its Hyundai verna for me. I just love the direction the styling department at Hyundai is taking.Imho the crdi engine is most refined this side of BMW. The ride and handling is the only weak point in this car.
This kind of maturity shows that Hyundai is not merely a cheap Korean manufacturer but a mainstream auto giant.
Old 6th December 2011, 17:13   #162
BHPian

+1, MCR
No doubt, xuv500 takes my vote; it is more like a slap on other manufacturers where the technology and comfort at a mere 16 odd lakhs on road Bangalore.
Brilliant positioning by mahindra team and hope their service will match up to the Vehicle and minor niggles cleared to have a hassle free ownership,

Again Congrats to Mahindra

Last edited by raj.barcode : 6th December 2011 at 17:15.
Old 6th December 2011, 17:38   #163
BHPian

My vote is for Honda Brio for the engine, build quality and the Honda reliability. According to me it ticks most of the boxes for a hot hatch.
Old 6th December 2011, 17:39   #164
BHPian

Voted for XUV.
It redefined the VFM tag and to top it, it drives well, looks quite good and is feature rich too!
Old 6th December 2011, 17:42   #165
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Eon. A game changer in its segment. The Altos and the 800s were functional cars that did its job without fuss. Hyundai have taken it a step further. The Eon feels like a premium small car. Here is a car that people would want to be seen in. All this at prices between the Alto and the Santro. Brilliant!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks