Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: YOUR Car of the Year 2011?
Hyundai Eon 84 3.20%
Honda Brio 134 5.10%
Toyota Liva 35 1.33%
Maruti Swift 183 6.97%
Nissan Sunny 53 2.02%
Skoda Rapid 109 4.15%
Hyundai Verna 260 9.90%
Ford Fiesta 47 1.79%
Force One 18 0.69%
Mahindra XUV5OO 1487 56.63%
Renault Fluence 22 0.84%
Volkswagen Jetta 56 2.13%
Suzuki Kizashi 14 0.53%
Volkswagen Passat 23 0.88%
Renault Koleos 7 0.27%
Volvo S60 32 1.22%
Audi A6 62 2.36%
Voters: 2626. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2011, 11:30   #136
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year 2011. EDIT : Mahindra XUV500 it is!!

Love it..Hate it..But you cant ignore it.

My vote goes to XUV5OO. I agree it is bad in styling. I agree it is not hat great in handling. I agree specs are not upto match of good SUV. I agree that quality can be issue with Mahindra. Some might also argue that it deserves that price tag only.

But Mahindra has created a niche segment and teach us Indian how to drive SUVs(Ok Tata Safari was one but it had lost is first move). It had made SUVs/MUVs presence in the backyard of most Indian homes.

With Bolero, Scorpio and now XUV5OO. Great work Mahindra!!
Old 6th December 2011, 11:33   #137
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
That we have been voting blindly for the XUV certainly strengthens my belief the 'bling' sells for us Indians.
Either you haven't driven the XUV or are unnecessarily biased against it. Lets keep the bling aside:

Great engine. Check
Balanced ride & handling. Check
Nice steering. Check
Spacious 1st & 2nd row of seats. Check
Good brakes. Check
Low turbolag for city driveability. Check
Expressway cruising ability. Check
VFM price. Check

For the price, yes, the XUV500 offers solid engineering. Sure, there are disadvantages too, including the poor 3rd row and lack of luggage space with the last row in place, and these have all been amply highlit in our official review. But there is no denying that the XUV is a g-i-a-n-t step ahead for Mahindra in terms of engineering. Mind you, so is the Aria for Tata. Only problem is that the Aria wasn't priced right.

Now, add some bling to an already competent product, and you have an absolute winner. Hey, at the end of the day, it's not just enthusiasts but even the market that loves the XUV. Mind you, that's a rare combination.

Quote:
When I see such comments on the forum for the said vehicle from its 'owners'-
Mahindra & Tata suffer from niggles, that's a known fact. As a lover of reliability, I'll be the first to say it's inexcusable. But atleast the XUV is priced right. The Fortuner - that costs 10 lakhs more - only scores in reliability and offroad ability over the XUV. However, in other areas, INCLUDING comfort, equipment, interior styling, ride and handling, the XUV blows the Fortuner away. That's saying a lot for a home grown product, ain't it?

Spend a couple of hundred kms in the XUV. Not only will you be surprised, but if you keep an open mind, you will change your opinion as well.

Last edited by GTO : 6th December 2011 at 11:35.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 11:34   #138
BHPian

my vote goes to XUV 5oo. Created a different segment for itself with features at a price that would put cars 10 lakh costlier than it at a shame. Looks may not please some but i love its looks and the interiors. Hope they can sort out the niggles .
Old 6th December 2011, 11:35   #139
BHPian

I recently brought a Vento but I strongly feel the XUV500 deserves the accolades over the Vento (oops this was a 2010 launch) or the Verna.

It may not be exceptional and does have its own set of problems but as an overall package its decent and it did bring the idea of big bad wheels to the mass. One doesn't have to spend upwards of 18L (or so) to get there anymore. The folks at Mahindra did a good job bringing out a package that jolted both the C and C+ segment. Way to go Mahindra.

Last edited by SR-71 : 6th December 2011 at 11:45.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:49   #140
Senior - BHPian

I thought the online poll just asked for the opinions, why does one have to justify their opinion with elaborate posts. Just vote, thats it.

Does Toyota Liva count for both the Etios and Liva or just one? Also mising from the list is Jaguar XJ, Chevy Beat Diesel IMO.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:00   #141
Senior - BHPian

Undoubtedly the biggest bombshell of the year XUV500 takes the bows, ticks the right boxes except for the 3rd row and boot compromise and interior quality at this price point, just wish they improvise on these 3 aspects in future and give a strong backbone to make it highly reliable. Still can't deny its VFM offering at its price points which beats hell out of lot many and many higher ones too. It was a no brainer for a friend when he shifted immediately from Scorp to XUV without second thoughts.

Last edited by parsh : 6th December 2011 at 12:03.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:17   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am certainly surprised by the horde mentality at work here at Tbhp. I thought we were more analytical at our research here. That we have been voting blindly for the XUV certainly strengthens my belief the 'bling' sells for us Indians.

When I see such comments on the forum for the said vehicle from its 'owners'-

Now if that is the 'Car of the Year' then God save us. And another launch which quickly races to 4K units a month is termed as 'below average' is beyond my comprehension. We certainly need to be more analytical then by being swayed by outer looks so soon.

Engineering finesse cannot be replaced with outer bling under any circumstances, in my honest opinion...
Oh boy!
I could not get your honest opnion. How many 10-12L SUVs exist in the market today?
Let me tell you
2 of them.
For the past 10 years, this segment has seen scorpio and safari.
XUV500 is a departure from both of them

Thats why it hits a chord. Forget the bling. Just compare to competition, and you will know why its such a hit. Its not just a hit in TBHP, its actually selling more than the competition. Infact, mahindra cannot make enough of it.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 12:26   #143
Senior - BHPian

should i keep waiting for the Merlin?

nah, voted for the Fluidic Verna IMO it had brought many refinements to the model, not to mention novel features.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:28   #144
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes for XUV 5OO.

With XUV, Mm have delivered a game changer - a good combination of ride and handling, engine, space, never seen before list of equipment and great VFM price. The XUV is far from perfect, but then again, which one is?

Quote:
I am certainly surprised by the horde mentality at work here at Tbhp. I thought we were more analytical at our research here. That we have been voting blindly for the XUV certainly strengthens my belief the 'bling' sells for us Indians.

@dkaile:I respect your opinion but personally, I feel like you are hitting below the belt by saying it is Bling, horde mentality and outer looks which swings the votes for XUV 5OO.

I think, if Bling is the only criteria, we should have seen lot of votes for Force -one. Personally, I think that is one SUV which is banking on huge size and bling factor, but I may be wrong.

Quote:
Engineering finesse cannot be replaced with outer bling under any circumstances, in my honest opinion...
I agree with you - engineering finesse cannot be replaced with bling, and I do not think XUV 500 have done like that. In its own right, the product do display the engineering capabilities of MM. There are rough edges, and there are few issues, but they are just teething problems - you really can't expect a brand new car not to have any issues. Look at the recalls happening around the world - even the most respected manufacturer do happen to commit a mistake now and then, even for models which are very much established.

Give time, and I am sure MM will iron out the issues with XUV 5OO.

Last edited by theexperthand : 6th December 2011 at 12:30.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:36   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boy! Someone is clearly upset that the XUV is winning by such a huge margin. Even in some other thread, I remember you were flaming the XUV & ranting about the Fortuner, am I right?

Have you driven the XUV? If yes, then why do you think it is not worth the title? Just a few electronic glitches made you think this way? Do you seriously feel the Fortuner is superior to the XUV, considering the price tag?

All said & done, in the end, opinions differ my friend. its all about individual perspectives. you may not like the XUV but that does not mean you can use words like "horde mentality" over here. Do you mean all the people who bought & who have lined up to book the XUV lack knowledge & are blinded by the bling?

8000 bookings in 12 days after which bookings had to be closed... cant just happen because of bling my friend. Mahindra has also been very proactive in solving issues faced by customers, its reported here as well. within weeks of its launch, mahindra proactively changed the gear oil & updated touch screen UI based on customer feedback. Cant you see all that?

we respect your choice with the Fortuner & we expect the same with you too. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For the price, yes, the XUV500 offers solid engineering. Sure, there are disadvantages too, including the poor 3rd row and lack of luggage space with the last row in place, and these have all been amply highlit in our official review. But there is no denying that the XUV is a g-i-a-n-t step ahead for Mahindra in terms of engineering. Mind you, so is the Aria for Tata. Only problem is that the Aria wasn't priced right.
Some are just blinded by the 'T' tag & associate it with their status symbol. So no matter how hard an Indian manufacturer tries, it is not just worth for them. they look at the insignia/logo on the grille first & then the actual vehicle.

Quote:
Now, add some bling to an already competent product, and you have an absolute winner. Hey, at the end of the day, it's not just enthusiasts but even the market that loves the XUV. Mind you, that's a rare combination.
Its not rocket science that Indian loves creature comforts. I admit, I am one of them.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 6th December 2011 at 12:37.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 12:38   #146
Senior - BHPian

dkaile, while the XUV has been having several niggles to begin with, teething troubles are to be expected on a first gen car. The critical bit is how M&M addresses these issues, core or otherwise, and by all accounts they are doing a good job of that. Besides that, the proof of the pudding is in the eating; ask any XUV owner if they would trade their car in because of the niggles and I think you'd be very, very hard pressed to find anyone that would do so. That vote of consumer confidence (and the sales numbers) are proof enough of the love the XUV is worthy of.

An indi-genius offering such as the XUV has its warts, but it is not without its pluses. I would personally much rather see an Indian car maker aspire for greatness and fall flat at times rather than settle for mediocrity and be safe. Kudos to Mahindra for trying to be better than they ever have been before.

Quote:
This I agree with wholeheartedly. If you're looking at the XUV purely from the point of view of final engineering finesse, you can punch holes in it. But the features on offer do play a part in deciding the appeal of the overall package. It's like a horse and carriage, you really can't have one without the other. Replacing one without the other is a bit senseless, but it's not as if the XUV is so glaringly flawed that M&M hopes it masks any engineering or design flaws. Far from it. The XUV is a very worthy car that many on here are drawn to for very good reasons.

/rambling
Old 6th December 2011, 12:43   #147
Team-BHP Support

I had always found something fishy about Indian built automobiles. I had the same notion about Korean cars as well. I was the sort of person who'd swear by a Japanese or a European car. Although, a lot of nice cars from Hyundai/Tata/Mahindra our way, I've never been blown-away by any of them. Until I checked out the XUV-500.

Mahindra have come a long way, I must say. Kudos to Mahindra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Mahindra has managed to bring the enthusiast and the average Joe together, with the XUV-500. Not only will it please the common man, it will pull a chord within the enthusiast. It's fantastic how Mahindra has managed to pull that off! It has the makings of a brilliant SUV. What it needs is a little refinement. Softening the rough edges. Making it truly International-market worthy!

Even the XUV has room for improvement, just like any other car:

- Questionable plastics and textures in the interior. An even pattern would do.

- Garish interior leather and colour combo. Give customers a range of options.

- Uncomfortable 3-row arrangement. Improve bolstering?

- Brakes could be better. Tweak the dynamics - suspension and chassis too.

That's about it, I suppose. Oh and yes..

- Those whiskers/paws or whatever under the lights. Get rid of it!

P.S. I'm sure Mahindra is listening to us, and the automotive fraternity, and take positive feedback. It will only help them improve.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:46   #148
BHPian

Quote:
That we have been voting blindly for the XUV certainly strengthens my belief the 'bling' sells for us Indians.

We certainly need to be more analytical then by being swayed by outer looks so soon.

This is not horde mentality, it is the "Value For Money" tag of the XUV500 that has earned the votes. Though most do not own / driven the XUV500, they vote simply because of the bucket full of features it offers at a price that is good 6 Lacs less from competition.

True reliability is a big issue with our local manufacturers, they are lagging behind the others. But, all cars undergo some niggles at the start. Even Toyota goes through recalls and fixes.

Sales figures mean only success to the individual company. The ICOTY 2010 Ford Figo is still miles behind a Swift / Indica in sales.

We at Team - BHP appreciate the quality of the offering from the companies and not simply the quantities. If analytics is the only criteria, then an Alto (sheer annual sales nos.), Supercars (like ferraris, lamborghinis, etc.) will only bag the awards.

P.S. : Mods regret being but some notions of our dear members need to be cleared to maintain the flow of the thread.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:48   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
8000 bookings in 12 days after which bookings had to be closed... cant just happen because of bling my friend.
Without even test-driving the Car in question?

I have not voted and as per reports/reviews I love the S60.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th December 2011 at 12:57.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:48   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted for the XUV 500, but it was certainly not a very easy choice. Why? Let me go one by one

Among the small cars, the EON is in a segment I would never consider, the Brio probably is in the same class (and is also butt ugly), and the Liva, while being large enough to be considered, is extremely ugly as well. (What's wrong with car designers, I wonder.)

Among the mid sizers, the Sunny seems to be grossly underpowered (per reviews, I have not test driven it), the Verna has an over the top styling which I dislike, and while the Fiesta looks fantastic, it is over priced, under powered (at least in petrol) and a flop. (How can you vote for a flop as COTY?)

Among the UVs, Force One - well I can't say anything about it. Seems like the Rhino to me. And the Koleos? Yet another butt ugly and over priced vehicle - you wonder how even its mother could love it.

Among the C Plus cars - the Fluence is not very good looking to me, and while I really like the looks of the Kizashi (and would have certainly considered buying it if it had been launched before I bought my Superb), I can't bring myself to vote for a flop.

Among the luxury marques, the S60 is ruled out due to complete lack of volume, while the A6 looks identical to the previous A6, the A4, the A8 et al, and is hence ruled out. (I would also debate putting the cut off where cars are ruled out on price at Rs. 40 l instead of Rs. 50 l).

So what's left? Three VAG cars (the Rapid, the Jetta and the Passat), the Swift and the XUV 500. The Swift was quickly ruled out for being too similar in looks to the previous Swift (even if as GTO mentioned, it is all new underneath except for the engines).

The remaining four are all cars I could consider buying. The Passat seems to pack tons of technology in, is fantastic looking (for a VW), and would almost certainly be great to drive as well. The Jetta seems to offer fabulous value. Unlike some people, I don't think it looks like an over grown Vento - I think the Audi A4esque rear differentiates it adequately.

The Rapid as everybody has pointed out seems to do almost everything the Vento does a bit better, is priced fantastically and at least my experience so far with the dreaded Skoda service has not been too bad.

And the XUV 500? It has drool worthy looks, seems to drive well (once again per reviews) and offers fabulous value for money.

So the choice between these four contenders was indeed a tough one. But I have always believed that the proof of the pudding is in the eating - and its the XUV 500 which is an unqualified hit amongst the four, and that's what makes me vote for it as the COTY.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed