Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: YOUR Car of the Year 2011?
Hyundai Eon 84 3.20%
Honda Brio 134 5.10%
Toyota Liva 35 1.33%
Maruti Swift 183 6.97%
Nissan Sunny 53 2.02%
Skoda Rapid 109 4.15%
Hyundai Verna 260 9.90%
Ford Fiesta 47 1.79%
Force One 18 0.69%
Mahindra XUV5OO 1487 56.63%
Renault Fluence 22 0.84%
Volkswagen Jetta 56 2.13%
Suzuki Kizashi 14 0.53%
Volkswagen Passat 23 0.88%
Renault Koleos 7 0.27%
Volvo S60 32 1.22%
Audi A6 62 2.36%
Voters: 2626. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2011, 10:51   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year 2011. EDIT : Mahindra XUV500 it is!!

Congratulations to XUV5oo for capturing the attention of TBHPians.

I think the main reason for this success of XUV is the price point it comes in at. Whether it is VFM or not, that only time will tell, although initial ownership reports seem to indicate its a risky venture to put 14L into it.

Cheap does not always mean VFM. And as of now, i'll call XUV a cheap, feature laden SUV. I'll hold onto the "VFM" label for now. Thank you very much!!

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 29th December 2011, 11:16   #422
BHPian

Congrats to XUV 500 and to the other 2 contenders who were equally good to be as runner up's.

1. XUV 500
2. Hyundai Verna
3. Maruti Swift

-Sajan
Old 29th December 2011, 12:23   #423
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations to XUV 5 oh oh! I would not be surprised if Mahindra again wins this coveted prize next year!
Old 30th December 2011, 00:03   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Well deserved win for the XUV and Mahindra seems to be capitalizing on the popularity- XUV5OO to be costlier by 55k!
When I read this article in the morning today, it struck me that M&M pulled off the price hike in a most strategic manner as well. This is the kind of hike which won't really pinch the pocket. I was expecting it to be more in the tune of almost a lakh. Clearly, people in the pricing department at M&M know what they're up to. I only wish their A.S.S. and quality control would also pull up their socks. This is the only chink in their armour.

However, a well-deserved win for the XUV500 and for M&M. The fact that the XUV is a home-grown vehicle makes me even happier. It is akin to the pride I felt when the first Pulsar hit the roads in 2002. Home-grown, well-priced and good enough to take on the foreigners!
Old 13th February 2012, 19:16   #425
BHPian

Well, M&M bragging this award in its ad campaign for XUV5OO in TOI:
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP Car of the Year 2011. EDIT : Mahindra XUV500 it is!!-getimage1.png  

Last edited by nawalsingal : 13th February 2012 at 19:21.
nawalsingal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 22:29   #426
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra deserves the award outright, they have packaged and priced the XUV brilliantly!!

Not only have they raised the bar for the competition but have now created a new set of rules in the Indian SUV space. In fact I dont think Mahindra will have it easy to convince people to pay a premium and choose a sangyong over the XUV500!!

Tata now have an uphill task with the Storme and as far as the force One is concerned, well as the saying goes, It came, It saw and It disappeared!!
Old 13th February 2012, 22:53   #427
BHPian

congrats XUV 5'double oh! and Mahindra as well. Great product, great pricing and a winner in most aspects.

Now Mahindra, how are you going to better your next product? (of course, sort out some niggling bits on the XUV first)
Old 14th February 2012, 12:20   #428
BHPian

I personally felt - TBHP has given this award to XUV 5OO - very early, without knowing what it delivers & we seem to have got biased basis it's fresh looks (though I hate the XUV looks ).

Guess - it was un-fair for the rest of cars which were launched earlier the year and we were able to judge what they deliver basis ownership reviews.

It would be my humble submission to Mods - to not add cars, which are just launched. Alternatively - we should have run such polls in March 2012 for all the cars which got launched between Jan and Dec 2011. Guess - few others as well suggested this and I echo it to be simply fair to everyone and not vote without knowing the car completely.
Old 14th February 2012, 14:48   #429
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
I personally felt - TBHP has given this award to XUV 5OO - very early, without knowing what it delivers & we seem to have got biased basis it's fresh looks (though I hate the XUV looks ).

Guess - it was un-fair for the rest of cars which were launched earlier the year and we were able to judge what they deliver basis ownership reviews.

It would be my humble submission to Mods - to not add cars, which are just launched. Alternatively - we should have run such polls in March 2012 for all the cars which got launched between Jan and Dec 2011. Guess - few others as well suggested this and I echo it to be simply fair to everyone and not vote without knowing the car completely.
That is part of the game, the same happens to movies launched earlier in the year as in most case the the movies and performances that win most awards are the ones in the last OND quarter. But one cannot delay awards to a later date as they loose value in the process and are meaningless.

Irrespective of how the XUV performs - as in reliably or not - the aspects for which it has gained the awards are going to still be valid. Yep it is the most VFM vehicle around in that space.
Old 14th February 2012, 15:14   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Irrespective of how the XUV performs - as in reliably or not - the aspects for which it has gained the awards are going to still be valid.
Cant agree more!! The XUV not only presented terrific VFM but also allowed plenty of Indians to upgrade to a SUV which undercut comparable models from global makers by a huge huge margin. Additionaly Mahindra made a big leap with the XUV. which is perhaps a couple of generations ahead of the Scorpio!!

World over COY awards are given to cars that are yet to prove themselves in the market or in reliability stakes. But that should not take away the fact that these cars won the award because of how they perform well in plenty of other parameters eg. value, design, features, performance etc... Also with its democratic selection process the Tbhp awards must be the most coveted motoring prize in India.
Old 14th February 2012, 15:53   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
That is part of the game, the same happens to movies launched earlier in the year as in most case the the movies and performances that win most awards are the ones in the last OND quarter. But one cannot delay awards to a later date as they loose value in the process and are meaningless.

Irrespective of how the XUV performs - as in reliably or not - the aspects for which it has gained the awards are going to still be valid. Yep it is the most VFM vehicle around in that space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Cant agree more!! The XUV not only presented terrific VFM but also allowed plenty of Indians to upgrade to a SUV which undercut comparable models from global makers by a huge huge margin. Additionaly Mahindra made a big leap with the XUV. which is perhaps a couple of generations ahead of the Scorpio!!

World over COY awards are given to cars that are yet to prove themselves in the market or in reliability stakes. But that should not take away the fact that these cars won the award because of how they perform well in plenty of other parameters eg. value, design, features, performance etc... Also with its democratic selection process the Tbhp awards must be the most coveted motoring prize in India.
I would disagree here. VFM alone or perception basis looks alone should not be the ground for giving out awards. I also don't think we should compare this to cine awards and I have seen some awards are just bought in other fields.

If I were the one who is giving out an award on any field/ category - I would look at performance as the primary criteria.

Imagine a situation; Say XUV fails in the performance area and lots of issues crop up after a few months - what would people think about the set of folks (including TBHP) who awarded COTY to XUV or rather any car??

I agree that - it's the way many other awards are given. But - can't we set a precedent? Doesn't Oscars take time (nomination closes on 31st Dec and awards are given out Feb end!) and does it loose it's value because it comes late?

Just my thought to have a better process around this & probably tranform this award as "Oscar of Automotive World" or something like that!

Last edited by maheshramaling : 14th February 2012 at 15:58.
Old 14th February 2012, 16:12   #432
Senior - BHPian

@ maheshramaling,

Its unfair to say that the XUV won the award only on the basis of looks. Actually Tbhp is quite divided about the XUV's rather confused front end.

Like I mentioned earlier the XUV excels as a package that is terrific VFM. Wether its performance, features, safety....the XUV does better than most competition. This is well documented by the thorough review the Tbhp heirarchy puts every signifaicant car through. Its what a majority of bhpians depend on when judging a car and why nearly 1500 votes went to the Mahindra.

I agree that XUVs long term reliability is still an unknown quantity, but denying the award on the quite unlikely scenario of XUVs might develop major faults in the long run doesnt make sense.
Old 14th February 2012, 17:01   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
@ maheshramaling,

Its unfair to say that the XUV won the award only on the basis of looks. Actually Tbhp is quite divided about the XUV's rather confused front end.

Like I mentioned earlier the XUV excels as a package that is terrific VFM. Wether its performance, features, safety....the XUV does better than most competition. This is well documented by the thorough review the Tbhp heirarchy puts every signifaicant car through. Its what a majority of bhpians depend on when judging a car and why nearly 1500 votes went to the Mahindra.

I agree that XUVs long term reliability is still an unknown quantity, but denying the award on the quite unlikely scenario of XUVs might develop major faults in the long run doesnt make sense.
All I am saying that giving out a award to a car which has been just a month or less on-road is simply unfair to the rest of the cars which are tried & tested for longer duration. If we can decide in such a short duration - my guess is it's just by looks & price tag. I can bet - many who voted for this car wouldn't have even driven this car...so this means perception based voting.

I am not saying that the car which is being awarded by this process will have issues but rather saying what if issues crop up after we award a un-tested (thoroughly) car?? Isn't it better to award the right car after doing a thorough performance review? And all you know - it could be XUV again.

So - my view is that our's should just not be a democratic voting process but a well thought out process which makes sure that the right car is awarded which is tried & tested.

Last edited by maheshramaling : 14th February 2012 at 17:03.
Old 14th February 2012, 17:10   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
I agree that - it's the way many other awards are given. But - can't we set a precedent? Doesn't Oscars take time (nomination closes on 31st Dec and awards are given out Feb end!) and does it loose it's value because it comes late?

Just my thought to have a better process around this & probably tranform this award as "Oscar of Automotive World" or something like that!
Interesting thought. I'd encourage you to put this up in the Suggestions thread, as i think this will certainly add more weight to the TBHP COTY award. I have said this before and i will repeat it here. XUV is a cheap SUV which is yet to prove it VFM aspect. But its difficult to change a mass perception, so its better to make your peace with this one and work towards improving the process.
Old 14th February 2012, 17:44   #435
Senior - BHPian

I too dont agree that XUV does not deserve this award. Infact we all have to accept that the XUV is indeed a game changer in this segment. No other car has given this kind of features, space, looks, safety & exclusivity in this price range. And that is the reason it has set the sales charts on fire. Even before the COTY awards were out, Mahindra had 4 months worth of bookings already with them.

While voting for the car, reliability was not taken into consideration & rightly so. Most of the cars in the poll are new & we cant wait for ownership reports to come in & judge the reliability of each car.

Secondly, how can we postpone the poll? Every month or so, one or the other car launches happen. If we keep postponing the poll to judge every car's reliability, then the poll would never happen!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks