Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2012, 11:21   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekshukla View Post
I agree with you on your first point - most TV and magazine journos are biased and not the best ones to test drive a car. The target for them is a shoot and say something to sound intelligent. I know you meant the other remark about ladies driving in a lighter sense, I have come across several ladies who are remarkable drivers and can beat quite a few of us on this forum hands down.

BTW, when is GTO doing a TD of the new Linea and Punto?
yes with exceptions they can be good drivers. i have seen many too.

but if you watch the wheelocity and other shows where these girls speak a lot then you will easily make out that they have very less knowledge and speak out tailored words.
i remember the girl driving a TJET and saying that steering wheel does not give good feedback and is tiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Can't girls make for good drivers ?
Autocar is one of the few dependable magazines around. They are no bibles but still for reference Autocar isnt that bad.
Interestingly Linea's acceleration has gone down by amazing 2.xx seconds for post euro 4 models.
wait for few more magazines to shoot out the timing reports and you will realise that there is a huge variation.
Old 4th January 2012, 11:26   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
do you really believe these idiot auto magazines noob driver's reports?
half of the auto shows too these days have girls driving the cars and commenting ,
Even I have doubts over the reliability of the Autocar after seeing their comparo report video between T-Jet, City and Vento by a women commentator . At this point of time, nothing can be concluded based on the report from this magazine. I would love to hear from GTO if he gets his hands on the 2012 Linea and Punto.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 4th January 2012 at 11:31.
Old 4th January 2012, 12:18   #318
BHPian

IMO, this is a move that FIAT has taken based on the customer-feedback. May be the price raise do not go well with people, but c'mon people! They are atleast doing something to satisfy the small customer base that they have.

Criticizing even before getting hands on the new models does not look professional. We cannot say that we believe a magazine's review for cars from one manufacturer but don't believe the same magazine for cars from another!! Aren't we being ridiculous?

Accepted that there was a lot of ground that FIAT had to cover in many areas in their cars. Customers and reviewers weren't happy and let FIAT know their feedback. Now, when they have started something positively, why are we criticizing them again? I am no expert in reviewing cars, but, I atleast am not prejudiced

Am not a fanatic of Fiat but neither am I a FIAT basher. Buying a FIAT just made more sense to me. I would still stick on to my opinion that FIAT is VALUE FOR MONEY compared to any other maker in the segment (Taking every aspect of a car into consideration)!!

I am eagerly waiting for GTO's take on these new models!
Driving_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 12:33   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I would love to hear from GTO if he gets his hands on the 2012 Linea and Punto.
I agree with Rameshnanda.

I think MODS should lock this thread until we are presented with a reliable and accurate test drive information on the newly launched cars rather than speculate over how good or bad handling etc might be.
vikrantj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 12:50   #320
BHPian

Just spoke to Concord Motors, Mysore Rd branch, the cars are in stock yard and expected to arrive at showroom on this friday, hopefully will have a test drive of Linea Dynamic MJD on this weekend.
Old 4th January 2012, 13:22   #321
BHPian

2012 Fiat Linea and Punto launched, prices increased!

Fiat India today launched the 2012 versions of their Linea sedan and Punto premium hatchback at the Lalit Hotel, New Delhi. The 2012 Linea starts at Rs. 6.83 lakh which an increase of Rs. 32,000 compared to its older price, while the 2012 Punto starts at Rs. 4.81 lakh which is up by Rs.50,000 from the earlier Rs. 4.31 lakh price tag.

The 2012 Linea will compete with cars like the Honda City, top end variants of the Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire, Maruti Suzuki Sx4, Hyundai Verna etc. The 2012 Punto will face stiff competition from cars like the Hyundai i20, Volkswagen Polo and the popular Maruti Suzuki Swift.

Source -
2012 Fiat Linea and Punto Launch, prices and specifications | Cartoq - Honest Car Advice
Old 4th January 2012, 13:34   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
yes with exceptions they can be good drivers. i have seen many too.

i remember the girl driving a TJET and saying that steering wheel does not give good feedback and is tiring.
I would not blame the girl on the TV show for saying that the steering is tiring. That's her point of view given her built and body frame. After all even ladies can drive Linea and for them steering can be a bit heavy specially at low speeds which will be tiring to their hands. My wife complains about the same thing when she drives our Linea. She is used to driving a Safari that too in narrow lanes of Varanasi and complains of tiredness in it as well but in a WagonR she doesn't have a problem. We must respect their opinion and not compare with what we slightly more muscular bodies can do.
Old 4th January 2012, 13:48   #323
BHPian

I am helping my cousin in selecting a hatchback car who is in Goa by this month. When build quality (here I mean toughness wise) is concerned I remember only three cars as of now. Fiat Punto, Indica Vista and VW Polo. In comparison to the new Maruti Swift he is bit hesitant to accept the new design and says the previous was preferrable. He ruled out Polo due to less features with respect to the price tag. I suggested new Indica Vista Quadrajet (Top End) and Punto 90 BHP.

Any idea when new version of Punto will be available in the market? How will be After Sales Service for FIAT in Karnataka and Goa?

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 4th January 2012 at 13:50.
Old 4th January 2012, 13:55   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
I am helping my cousin in selecting a hatchback car who is in Goa by this month. When build quality (here I mean toughness wise) is concerned I remember only three cars as of now. Fiat Punto, Indica Vista and VW Polo. In comparison to the new Maruti Swift he is bit hesitant to accept the new design and says the previous was preferrable. He ruled out Polo due to less features with respect to the price tag. I suggested new Indica Vista Quadrajet (Top End) and Punto 90 BHP.

Any idea when new version of Punto will be available in the market? How will be After Sales Service for FIAT in Karnataka and Goa?
You mean Indica Vista is well built? No offense to the owners of Vista, But to me if you are looking for a well built hatch it has to be Punto/Polo/Fabia.
rameshnanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 14:11   #325
BHPian

Quote:
You mean Indica Vista is well built? No offense to the owners of Vista, But to me if you are looking for a well built hatch it has to be Punto/Polo/Fabia.
Thanks for your quote Ramesh. Yes, Vista is well built with respect to toughness. A live example is, there was a big hump near to Ranebennur on NH4 highway where two cars namely a Polo and a Vista jumped at high speed with a thud. The Polo's front bumper departed and Vista was fine. And Vista is from our own desi Tata, who knows in and out of Indian roads. So well built. It not only takes heavy road speed humps but also takes all the negative thoughts that people write about it, but still it goes on and on like a King's huge elephant ignoring any negative comments.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 4th January 2012 at 14:14.
yogeshnaik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 14:28   #326
BHPian

According to the SE at fiat the Punto 90HP is currentyly not available, nor they will be taking fresh booking till March-April. All old stock has been cleared only a few Emotion models are available with Fiat...
Old 4th January 2012, 14:28   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
This kinda comment was expected. Media will surely point its stupid finger at the increased price of entry level model, while not mentioning a word about umpteen new features added to the entry level model.

Fiat should have kept one model with bare minimum features, at least on paper.
Old 4th January 2012, 14:33   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Even I have doubts over the reliability of the Autocar after seeing their comparo report video between T-Jet, City and Vento by a women commentator . At this point of time, nothing can be concluded based on the report from this magazine. I would love to hear from GTO if he gets his hands on the 2012 Linea and Punto.
I think thats a little underhand comment on women per se, if you went with the review I think you will realise she stated the obvious in the end and she is a reviewer not a commentator.

However I do agree with you that things boil down to personal opinions and mostly an reviewer is him/herself an person so in the end a review is an opined outcome anyway. We love some reviewers cause they have the capability to be neutral mostly mind you, one cannot be unbiased completely.

When I was making a decision on car I went by my heart and head both to choose Tjet+ despite that fact that City was very well liked by both me and brother while Vento was not liked by both of us.
Old 4th January 2012, 15:26   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
Source -
2012 Fiat Linea and Punto Launch, prices and specifications | Cartoq - Honest Car Advice
This is a classic example of a biased review. If you are reviewing a refreshed version of a car it should be done as old car v/s new version . I mean a layman looks at the price and says "Hey Linea Dynamic was 6.8L and now it is 7.8L. That's 1L increase in price" . He couldn't be more far away from reality.
Old 4th January 2012, 15:27   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saargoga View Post
I think thats a little underhand comment on women per se, if you went with the review I think you will realise she stated the obvious in the end and she is a reviewer not a commentator.

However I do agree with you that things boil down to personal opinions and mostly an reviewer is him/herself an person so in the end a review is an opined outcome anyway. We love some reviewers cause they have the capability to be neutral mostly mind you, one cannot be unbiased completely.

When I was making a decision on car I went by my heart and head both to choose Tjet+ despite that fact that City was very well liked by both me and brother while Vento was not liked by both of us.
I think my comment was taken on the wrong side. I questioned about the reliability of the magazine and not the commentator (Yes, I meant it because it didn't look like a review to me. I felt like it was something already scripted and being presented ). No offense intended towards any individuals.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed