Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 13:14   #556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
A 9.5 lakhs 1248 CC Linea 1.3 MJD churns 209 NM@2000 rpm with 93 horses (with turbo lag indeed).

A ~12 lakhs 1598 CC Vento 1.6 CRD churns 250 NM @1500-2500 rpm with 105 horses. This has lesser feature than the Linea.

If rumors are to be believed a Linea 1.6 MJD is suppose to deliver 290 Nm @1500 rpm with 105 horses with wayyy more features than current linea (forget Vento's features).

(if they are so happy with india they can give a version with 300 Nm @1500 rpm with 120 horses).

So results are here if oranges are compared with oranges.
Source ?
OTR pricing for which place ?
Linea indeed is a vfm product compared to Vento but difference isn't that high AFAIK
1.6 MJD rumor is two year old
Old 12th January 2012, 13:18   #557
BHPian

During my TD of new Linea, I forgot to check 2 things,

1. At what point of time the headlights will be on? is it the low or high beam will be on initially? Can it be overridden manually?

2. At how much rain fall the wipers will be active? and same if it can be manually done?

If anyone doing a TD soon, please check these 2 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Source ?
Linea indeed is a vfm product compared to Vento but difference isn't that high AFAIK
Vento is indeed at 12L+ OTR car in Bangalore, I tried searching VW India site, but could not get the price link, then checked carwale, where they just added Ex-showroom+ reg + Ins, and its 11,90,000/- i am sure there are additons to these 3 components, so Linea with 300 cc less with cost you 3 lakh less.( get the price of each cc)

Last edited by GTO : 13th January 2012 at 15:52. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 12th January 2012, 13:42   #558
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Do you get all this here in India on the Swift!?

Front seatbelt pretensioners
Front seatbelt load limiters
Side body airbags
Side head airbags
Driver knee airbag
Well, does the the Punto have them in India? If not, I don't understand the question above. I've checked the features of the test [before I posted it] and both these models have the same features, whether in India or outside. Ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I would go on to say that the Punto may not be a "more safer" car than the Swift if you go by ratings but to whom the steel vault type build quality matters, the Punto does "feel more safer"

The sheet metal of punto is much more solid than Swift, close the doors of both the cars and compare the "clunk" and "thud" , if it increases the safety or not is upto the customer to decide, am one of those old fashioned guys who feel that solid sheet metal does help in accidents, to me a Skoda or VW is safer than Honda, Hyundai and a FIAT more than Maruti, i would feel much safer in skoda and fiat, i may be wrong and its my opinion.
Yes, I agree with what you're saying and you're right. Fiat has that vault like build and that's good; gives a kind of assurance that the build would be stronger. But as someone said earlier, how many customers look for such in-line safety features? Most customers just check if dual airbags and ABS/EBD is present and then they go for that model. Its true Fiat's build quality is supreme to say, Honda or Suzuki, but it's still them brands and models that do sell far, far more.Why so? Fiat needs to still work harder to reduce weight [if required] to make even that 75hp GP peppy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I agree that the levers are flimsy. I had the same opinion when I purchased the Punto. But, never had any issues with that as such. Now, that I have sold Punto and bought a Linea, the Levers are of same quality in Linea too. But, not had any issues so far.
Has Fiat improved the plastics where certain levers have been reported as poor quality, in the 2012 models? Good if they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Those who have driven extensively can understand this well. Those who go by mags reviews and done couple of Kms TD, it is very hard for them to believe what Fiat owners say. For them, Fiat owners are Ignorant .
Just to clear my stand and your understanding, that is not my opinion and have never meant or said so.
Old 12th January 2012, 13:54   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Well, does the the Punto have them in India? If not, I don't understand the question above. I've checked the features of the test [before I posted it] and both these models have the same features, whether in India or outside. Ok?
Except the side airbags Punto comes with the seat belt pretensioners and load limiters from the time it was launched here!

The previous gen swift & current gen swift scored lower than the 2005 model Punto so far
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 14:19   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
It may have weak in 0-60 timing but in gear acceleration is definitely higher especially 80+ . I have witnessed swift fighting with punto in chennai- bangy NH. Punto pulls like no one in business and lunged forward beat the swift hell out. There was another guy, tail smoking like pig may be with a tuning box wanna race with me. He woke up my beast. Downshift to 3rd rev till redline. I can see him vanishing. Later I slowed down but he is hiding somewhere in shame didnt come forward.

Regards,
Vijay
Sorry, but this is a very immature post. Cars sell because the potential buyer sees some value (according to him) in it. Fiats are not "perfect" cars nor are any other cars from other manufacturers. You buy what you think will serve you the best for your purpose. Almost 90% of the hatches never go on a highway for more than 10% of their ownership period.

Fiat really needs to understand why its not selling. Maybe they need to ask people who buy marutis and hyundais and ask them why they never considered buying a fiat. This might give them the required answer. If its about past baggage, let fiat convince them by opening their own service centres and give superlative ownership experience.

Take my example. When I was in the market for a hatch in 2009, I considered Punto and I20 (did not know about the steering rattle then ). This was basically for my parents. My father refused to buy a fiat. Why??? past experience. We have had many fiat cars in the past. A 1.37D padmini, 1.38D 118NE (one of the most comfortable cars i have sat in), Uno (with the petrol fire engine) and then a Palio D (3 months only). We have had so many bad experiences with fiat service. I still dragged my dad to the tata dealership. And guess what, one of his friends was the manager there. So my dad was kind of relieved and his notion about having to go through bad service was kind of alleviated. We took a test drive of punto. I quite liked the car, though the interiors were not to my mom's liking (since she had already seen the i20). I really did not care for the interiors and thought it was ok. Not a deal breaker for me. But the real deal breaker was the rear space. I am 6'1 and my dad close to 6'3 and he couldnt fit his size 13 feet in the back. The dash was protruding a bit and I had to push the drivers seat close to all the way back and that was causing the problem. In comparison, the i20 appeared spacious (it is definitely spacious than the punto) and since we would use the car mostly in the city we opted for the i20. Yes, my dad had a near heart attack when he heard about the i20 price.

One more thing is that none of the guys at fiat/tata called us back and asked us about our experience (we just told them after our test drive that we would decide in a day or 2). Its a different thing that the hyundia guys also did not care much (but why would they, there was a waiting period!). It would have felt better if fiat had called us and enquired about our experience.
In the end, fiat has to do something to solve this puzzle, other wise I don't see how they can survive selling just about 500 cars a month.
Old 12th January 2012, 14:40   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Except the side airbags Punto comes with the seat belt pretensioners and load limiters from the time it was launched here!

The previous gen swift & current gen swift scored lower than the 2005 model Punto so far
Awesome, then :thumbs. But still it isn't helping Punto fly off the shelves. Why? That is my question. Not to undermine Punto [I nearly bought one].

Also, just check this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2579384 Post 1276 .. The member is someone who would like to own a fun to drive hatch and is considering a Polo 1.6 and Fabia 1.6, after dropping the Honda Jazz. Given that Punto is a great handling and dynamic [fun to drive] car, shouldn't the gentleman also be considering the Fabia MJD 90bhp too? This is what Fiat should make note of, to see where they need to plug gaps. When someone is not even considering their cars, who is going to go to their swanky Cafes?

Anyway! One query to members who've seen the new 2012 GP. Has the rear seat space legroom increased than that of 2011 model?

And any Fiat enthusiast/owner who has contacts in the company, knows if Fiat will ever bring GP Evo to India, in the same kit that available in Italy/Uk? That'd be one hot model to buy [i'd buy one for sure].

How can someone say no to this hot hatch

Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-img_15.jpg

Last edited by k_ajay : 12th January 2012 at 14:48.
Old 12th January 2012, 14:48   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Vento is indeed at 12L+ OTR car in Bangalore, I tried searching VW India site, but could not get the price link, then checked carwale, where they just added Ex-showroom+ reg + Ins, and its 11,90,000/- i am sure there are additons to these 3 components, so Linea with 300 cc less with cost you 3 lakh less.( get the price of each cc)
Just to clarify I bought my Linea MJD EPack in Sep'2011 for 9.4L OTR in Chennai .

Quote:

Has Fiat improved the plastics where certain levers have been reported as poor quality, in the 2012 models? Good if they have.

Just to clear my stand and your understanding, that is not my opinion and have never meant or said so.
I missed to check this part during my TD. But, the overall plastic quality of 2012 Linea MJD has improved (its now same as the quality we saw in 2011 T-Jet).

Ajay, I didn't mean to you at all. No worries .

Last edited by rameshnanda : 12th January 2012 at 14:51.
Old 12th January 2012, 15:14   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post

Fiat really needs to understand why its not selling. Maybe they need to ask people who buy marutis and hyundais and ask them why they never considered buying a fiat. This might give them the required answer. If its about past baggage, let fiat convince them by opening their own service centres and give superlative ownership experience.

You know the answer, you even said it A.S.S !
Old 12th January 2012, 17:31   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Source ?
Source is Fiat and Vento brochures.

Fiat India

http://220.226.186.168/ebrochure/vento_ebrochure.pdf

And prices are listed in this thread. For some reason Vento prices are not displayed on their page (fluctuations maybe).

1.6 mjd is desperately awaited by the members of 'Fiat hater club' more than 'Fiat fan club'
Old 12th January 2012, 17:47   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Given that Punto is a great handling and dynamic [fun to drive] car, shouldn't the gentleman also be considering the Fabia MJD 90bhp too?
Fabia MJD 90HP thats news to me. When did Skoda started sourcing MJDs from Fiat?
nkg77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 18:15   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
Fabia MJD 90HP thats news to me. When did Skoda started sourcing MJDs from Fiat?
That's news to me too.. Geez That was a typo..

However I think I won't mind the 90 bhp multijet in my Fabia
Old 12th January 2012, 18:25   #567
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 13th January 2012 at 15:53.
rameshnanda is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th January 2012, 18:28   #568
BHPian

Quote:
That's news to me too.. Geez That was a typo..

However I think I won't mind the 90 bhp multijet in my Fabia
Sorry man you wont get the best of both worlds. I valued safety(ABS, air bags), features (ACC, Blue & Me, MID), stability and ride quality over the so called performance and plastics. Thats why I bought a Punto.

Frankly speaking I never had any issues with plastic parts of my car. But I do agree with you on Fabia having the 90HP MJD than the 3 port engine.

Last edited by nkg77 : 12th January 2012 at 18:31.
Old 12th January 2012, 18:47   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
Sorry man you wont get the best of both worlds. I valued safety(ABS, air bags), features (ACC, Blue & Me, MID), stability and ride quality over the so called performance and plastics. Thats why I bought a Punto.

Frankly speaking I never had any issues with plastic parts of my car. But I do agree with you on Fabia having the 90HP MJD than the 3 port engine.
I don't really prefer the 'performance and plastics' gaadi either [think we both know which gaadi we're referring to]. But I do stress that Fiat can put some more 'performance' in its cars in India, without compromising much on fuel efficiency. It sure is possible.

I'm keenly hoping Fiat bring the Punto evo 5 door, as is [from in'tl markets] to India soon [with good rear seat & leg room. That would be an awesome gaadi to buy.

Last edited by GTO : 13th January 2012 at 15:54. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 12th January 2012, 19:07   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Source is Fiat and Vento brochures.

Fiat India

http://220.226.186.168/ebrochure/vento_ebrochure.pdf

And prices are listed in this thread. For some reason Vento prices are not displayed on their page (fluctuations maybe).

1.6 mjd is desperately awaited by the members of 'Fiat hater club' more than 'Fiat fan club'
www.carwale.com/research/comparecars/carcomparison.aspx?car1=2349&car2=1902&car3=2149

Here is a comparison chart between average ex showroom prices of Linea,Vento and Verna top end models. I guess Linea has undergone some serious price cuts (discount offered) leading to the price difference.
Source : carwale.com

Members of 'Fiat haters club'.
Lol. That was absolutely unnecessary and childish buddy.

*On topic
New Fiat 2012 ad is brilliant.

Last edited by Turbokick : 12th January 2012 at 19:23.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed