Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:13   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

I don't know what Fiat was trying to achieve by increasing the GC. With 195 and 185 mm GC, the Punto looks out of proportion. Like some cheap custom modification for off-roading.

If fiat had managed to bring in the black interiors like in the Evo, it would've been a 'real' refresh.

Congrats to those who got their Punto's in 2011 and i feel sorry for those who waited,only to be let down by the changes.

EDIT: Does anyone have info on the changes expected in the 90HP Punto ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 3rd January 2012 at 18:16.
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:35   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
3 things that I'd like to say:

1. The shade of Blue looks nice. On the Punto especially.

2. Retuned Engine - hmmm... I really really hope that both the Punto and the Linea are peppier to drive now. And before anyone jumps the gun - I am a Linea MJD owner myself.

3. Point 2 brings me to my 3rd point. Given that the newer state of tune is actually good, can I get my 2011 MJD retuned from Fiat?
Yes. It is possible, provided Fiat is willing to do it. It will be an ECU update.
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:36   #288
BHPian

@sindindica - any idea when fiat would come out with 2012 T-jet or is there an indication about discontinuing it?

I just hope that fiat does not discontinue T-jet. I will be looking for a new car post May and T-jet tops my list as of now. In Fiat India's website am only seeing the FIRE and Multijet prices. So eager about news on T-jet.
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:41   #289
BHPian

Hi All,

The fiat website has no information about the 90HP model. I called up FIAT helpline and even they are clueless. They are not even sure whether it is being offered or not.
Old 3rd January 2012, 19:10   #290
BHPian

I liked the new Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 idea of higher GC. There is nothing like that earlier models were ultimate low rider sports hatchbacks and new ones are goods carriers. I think it is now a more practical and feasible car for bad city and highway roads (just like Suzuki SX4) which are in greater existence in our country. Also looks of the car are not such that one can hate them...maybe it may give a bigger stance now and better on-raod presence when it will come on road in actual.
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:25   #291
Senior - BHPian

Just Read at BSMotoring site:

"Fiat has also announced that they will open 20 to 25 Fiat Caffes in 2012 all across India where one can experience the complete Fiat experience.
Fiat has also announced that the Punto 90 hp and Linea T-Jet sales will continue as before. However, a revision to these cars may be made later on this year."

Good News if true.
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:54   #292
Senior - BHPian

a better pic of the 2012 punto courtsy Indian Autos Blog.

more can be found here: 2012 Fiat Linea and Punto models for India - a set on Flickr
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-6626935599_17e726b8b4_o.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2012, 20:55   #293
BHPian

Any improvement in interior quality and fit and finish ?
While the changes are sure welcome, I am not sure if general mass will start purchasing Fiat cars henceforth. Fiat cafe can make some difference though.
Old 3rd January 2012, 21:06   #294
BHPian

Just what I feared! The side profile is destroyed. It's just too high!
Old 3rd January 2012, 21:09   #295
Senior - BHPian

Among all the refresh gadgets, I like this particular piece. Don't know if this comes standard or available as an accessory.

Picture Courtesy - Indian Autos Blog
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-new-fiat.jpg  

rameshnanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 21:24   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

195mm GC looks bad on Punto - the wheel wells have too much gap. Probably they should have restricted it at 185mm like the MJD.

On the other hand, I like their approach. Looks like Fiat is a slow learner. They are taking feed backs seriously & introducing better steps. I like the way they improved the kit for not much extra bucks. Seriously wish they could sell more cars on this account and forces the competition to offer better bang for the bucks. From all these, I feel that Fiat is serious in India and will not pack their bags so easily. I hope they improve on the A$$ too once the Caffes are in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
Maybe the Punto 90HP will become the Punto EVO [wishfull thinking]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
Where is the Evo upgrade for the Punto
From what I know, Evo upgrade has been put on-hold indefinitely. One of the reasons why Fiat is NOT participating in the Auto Expo this year.
Old 3rd January 2012, 21:35   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Is'nt this a Joke

Apart from few upgrades, both the models have nothing worth SHOWING OFF.

Its like changing the brown wrapper of a school kids book with another brown wrapper.
Agree totally, think this is the reason fiat did not invest in a stall in Auto Expo

The expectations were high, so we feel let down, but the launch itself is not a high key one (being out of Auto Expo).

Approx. figures:
Swift+Dzire+Ritz = 12000 / month
Vista+Manza = 10000 / month
Punto+Linea = 1000 / month

Less than 5% of Fiats engines are being consumed in-house. I think Fiat now can officially be termed as an engine vendor, producing cars as a hobby.

I booked a Fiat 90HP in November but held back my purchasing plans hoping to see a slightly taller Punto (may be a 10mm ground clearance increase). After I see the pics, it looks like they put the car on stilts :(

I am just hoping that the handling has not been ruined. If this is the case then I might as well start looking at the Polo (even if its got a 3 cylinder mill).

Last weekend I drove my friends Palio (5+ years, 45k kms) from Bangalore to Nagarahole and I loved every single second of the drive. All I ask Fiat is a Palio with modern equipment and MJD engine.
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:06   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat
I booked a Fiat 90HP in November but held back my purchasing plans hoping to see a slightly taller Punto (may be a 10mm ground clearance increase). After I see the pics, it looks like they put the car on stilts :(
Fiat has not touched the 90HP Punto, so you still have time to get the Punto with 170mm ground clearance. Being a Punto owner I have not felt any difficulty in handling the speed breakers. So go ahead and buy it without worries.
nkg77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:28   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
After I see the pics, it looks like they put the car on stilts :(
Step 1: Buy Car
Step 2: Upgrade Tyres and Rims (16/17"). Do not change aspect ratio. Tyre Radius increase by 1 inch
Step 3: Increase GC Further (195 mm + 25 mm = 220 mm)

Result : Fiat SUV !!

P.s. Just kidding!

Last edited by AbhiJ : 3rd January 2012 at 22:29.
Old 3rd January 2012, 23:14   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
Fiat has not touched the 90HP Punto, so you still have time to get the Punto with 170mm ground clearance. Being a Punto owner I have not felt any difficulty in handling the speed breakers. So go ahead and buy it without worries.
When I approached the Tata-Fiat dealers in Nov'11, they tried to sell me Punto 90HP cars made in may/june. Fiat did make 90 HP punto in november. This is the reason i decided to wait for 2012 model. I hope i dont get a car sitting in the yard for 6 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Step 1: Buy Car
Step 2: Upgrade Tyres and Rims (16/17"). Do not change aspect ratio. Tyre Radius increase by 1 inch
Step 3: Increase GC Further (195 mm + 25 mm = 220 mm)

Result : Fiat SUV !!

P.s. Just kidding!

I cant buy Fiats claim that handling and ride wont be affected. Higher GC = Higher CG => more body roll. To compensate, make suspension stiffer => there goes the ride quality.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed