Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2012, 23:41   #301
BHPian

re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Hope this added GC will give Linea an SX4 like stance.
Linea was never devoid of beauty.

A few had mentioned linea's GC as one of its drawbacks whih seems addressed to.

However, I was expecting rather aggressive pricing. Particularly after Honda city CE, Fiat will find selling petrol cars difficult. I am not sure how many including me would chose Linea over City, for almost similar price,just because former has very good ground clearance.

Even with diesel, top end OTR will be in 10Lac plus side which again sounds pricey for car which is trying to regain market presence.
Old 3rd January 2012, 23:47   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post

I cant buy Fiats claim that handling and ride wont be affected. Higher GC = Higher CG => more body roll. To compensate, make suspension stiffer => there goes the ride quality.
Even if they manage to beat physics and keep the ride / handing perfect, for the Punto they have majorly dented IMO one of the strongest assets of the car : Its sleek looks...

The tyres are too small... the clearances between tyre and fenders too much.
Reminds me of my Indica V2 in this respect!
Old 4th January 2012, 00:00   #303
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I like the 2012 Linea and Punto. With improved ground clearance, the cars will no longer scrap the road. Having used a Fusion for 4 years, I know how important is GC. The Linea still looks good with the increased GC, but the Punto looks like a car modified by a college kid.
Old 4th January 2012, 08:28   #304
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

IMHO, it’s a bit of an unfair treatment for Fiat. When they were having just two engine options, the mass slogan was ‘why they don’t bring in the fantastic T-Jet engine’. They launched the T-Jet, and nothing happened.
Then there was this criticism on Low GC, drab interiors etc. The 2012 refresh came in to address that, along with some added features. But now they are being panned for spoiling the looks

Whether the sales improve or not, they are acting very positive with their products in India. Hope the updates will translate into better sales, and encourage them to expand their product portfolio in India.
vb-saan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 09:33   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
IMHO, it’s a bit of an unfair treatment for Fiat.
Then there was this criticism on Low GC, drab interiors etc. The 2012 refresh came in to address that, along with some added features. But now they are being panned for spoiling the looks

Whether the sales improve or not, they are acting very positive with their products in India. Hope the updates will translate into better sales, and encourage them to expand their product portfolio in India.
+1. Fiat has off late become the most easy car maker to criticize. Yes there sales are not showing any signs of improvement but as you very rightly said they are taking steps in the right direction and trying there best to improve. Thats what matters. May be the new Fiat Cafes in the pipeline are the answer to address there woes. I can't wait to finally be able to have access to an exclusive Fiat showroom.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 09:49   #306
BHPian

ACI's review of the new Linea and Punto here:

New Fiat Linea, Grande Punto review, test drive - Review - Autocar India

Once again, I cannot stress enough the need for Fiat to get a state-of-the-art 1.2 petrol engine out pronto.
Old 4th January 2012, 10:12   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
195mm GC looks bad on Punto - the wheel wells have too much gap. Probably they should have restricted it at 185mm like the MJD.

On the other hand, I like their approach. Looks like Fiat is a slow learner. They are taking feed backs seriously & introducing better steps. I like the way they improved the kit for not much extra bucks. Seriously wish they could sell more cars on this account and forces the competition to offer better bang for the bucks. From all these, I feel that Fiat is serious in India and will not pack their bags so easily. I hope they improve on the A$$ too once the Caffes are in place.

From what I know, Evo upgrade has been put on-hold indefinitely. One of the reasons why Fiat is NOT participating in the Auto Expo this year.
In today's Times of India, there is an article which claims that the first FIAT "Exclusive" dealership (not the cafe) is coming up in Hydranad next month. FIAT is convincing all TATA FIAT dealers to open up a separate dealership for FIAT. By 2015, there would not be any common link with TATA dealers as far as sales-support goes.
Old 4th January 2012, 10:20   #308
BHPian

Autocar updated the testdrive report for Linea MJD and Punto 1.2 fire.

Performance figures are rather sleep inducing.
Linea takes yawning 7.12 secs to 60 kmph and 17.81 secs to 100 kmph.
Even the in gear timings are nothing spectacular to write home about
What they are upto ? Even Indica turbo is faster than this.
Old 4th January 2012, 10:36   #309
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
IMHO, it’s a bit of an unfair treatment for Fiat. When they were having just two engine options, the mass slogan was ‘why they don’t bring in the fantastic T-Jet engine’. They launched the T-Jet, and nothing happened.

Well said vb-san. Fiat is trying hard to prove that they are serious about India inspite of their current slow sales. The opening up of Fiat Caffe in important cities shows their commitment to Indians. Fiat has got good looking cars, which also perform well with amazing features. They are showing the commitment to be successful in India and I hope their next logical step would be to start Fiat A.S.S. Good luck Fiat.
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 10:38   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
EDIT: Does anyone have info on the changes expected in the 90HP Punto ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarswift View Post
The fiat website has no information about the 90HP model. I called up FIAT helpline and even they are clueless. They are not even sure whether it is being offered or not.
Find replies here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
T Jet and punto 90 hp diesel NOT launched today in 2012 range. They are subject to more upgrades and will be positioned differently (as per speculation).
What a pity! Only if Fiat had revised the gear ratios on the 90HP Punto!

EDIT:

Just had a look at the new Linea prices: SX4 ZDi Leather and Linea Diesel Emotion are now on par. Prices have gone up on all variants. So, jack up the car to match SX4's ground clearence, and jack up prices along with it? The new features are seldom useful, instead of auto wipers or lights (what do they think-we can't know it when we can't see forward?) they could have offered a steering adjust for both reach & rake, or a reverse camera, or powerfold mirrors.

I would rather buy a Verna SX and pay 30k more.

Last edited by Yeldo : 4th January 2012 at 11:02.
Old 4th January 2012, 10:40   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Well said vb-san. Fiat is trying hard to prove that they are serious about India inspite of their current slow sales. The opening up of Fiat Caffe in important cities shows their commitment to Indians. Fiat has got good looking cars, which also perform well with amazing features. They are showing the commitment to be successful in India and I hope their next logical step would be to start Fiat A.S.S. Good luck Fiat.
FIAT's staying in India was never doubtful since they had put down 2000 cr in the RJ plant. It was funny when few members were kept saying "how long FIAT will survive before they shutdown". Having OEM agreement with Maruti for MJD has earned them good money as well. I hope this year will be bring some good numbers for FIAT. Its nice to see that they are now working on separate sales and service
neoonwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 10:57   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Autocar updated the testdrive report for Linea MJD and Punto 1.2 fire.

Performance figures are rather sleep inducing.
Linea takes yawning 7.12 secs to 60 kmph and 17.81 secs to 100 kmph.
Even the in gear timings are nothing spectacular to write home about
What they are upto ? Even Indica turbo is faster than this.
do you really believe these idiot auto magazines noob driver's reports?
half of the auto shows too these days have girls driving the cars and commenting ,
amit_mechengg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 11:04   #313
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Perhaps Fiat has to take a leaf out of GM's book to instill confidence in the buying public.

Karl Slym's initiative in cleaning up the GM image has clearly borne some excellent results for them.

Fiat would do well to do the same for themselves.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 11:10   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
half of the auto shows too these days have girls driving the cars and commenting ,
I agree with you on your first point - most TV and magazine journos are biased and not the best ones to test drive a car. The target for them is a shoot and say something to sound intelligent. I know you meant the other remark about ladies driving in a lighter sense, I have come across several ladies who are remarkable drivers and can beat quite a few of us on this forum hands down.

BTW, when is GTO doing a TD of the new Linea and Punto?
Old 4th January 2012, 11:16   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Can't girls make for good drivers ?
Autocar is one of the few dependable magazines around. They are no bibles but still for reference Autocar isnt that bad.
Interestingly Linea's acceleration has gone down by amazing 2.xx seconds for post euro 4 models.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed