Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2012, 20:05   #346
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Finally the fiat top brass has decided to take heed and do the much needed rejig.
This is great news for the current as well the prospective owners alike .
Moreover IMHO the raised stance of the linea looks quite a hot cake .
regards
praveen
Old 4th January 2012, 20:38   #347
BHPian

Being a proud owner of a Fiat Linea MultiJet, I am glad that Fiat has started to act on customer feedback. Though several members have written Ground Clearance as a problem, I personally don't feel so. Yes it is on the shorter side, but is just about sufficient with careful driving. (I drive through stretches where there are no roads everyday)

I am not too sure how the increase in Ground Clearance is going to affect the brilliant ride which exists today.

What I would love to see from Fiat is an overall improvement in Fit & Finish. There are always small niggles in the car ( Ex. ill-fitting glovebox, ill-fitting fuel cap, chrome beading which tend to fall-off ) which has consistently put me off. This is one department where Fiat can easily improve

Also I was half-expecting an auto-box (to cater to the automatic lovers and explore a potential market) considering the T-jet didn't exactly set the sales charts on fire
Sree_Ganesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 21:35   #348
BHPian

I could see and feel the 2012 Linea at Velachery concorde today evening. The increased GC is very obvious once you see it in any angle, but only the side stance give you a slight de-glammed look because of xtra gap above the wheels. The plastics have definitely improved , with room for more. Of course the T-Jet quality of interiors raises the interior ambience. This blue "Ocean blue" is clearly different from the earlier "electric blue" that I drive.

I am more eager and looking forward to having a spirited test drive of Punto to really feel the catch word:: "it is different" and whats' the effect of GC. That will be in another visit. They expect Punto to arrive at their showroom tomorrow or max day after.
Old 4th January 2012, 21:46   #349
BHPian

Talked to Fiat yet again. Punto 90 HP is going to be available in Bangalore at 717000 ex showroom. Not sure whether any changes were carried over from new Punto though.
Old 4th January 2012, 22:20   #350

Folks,

I have been on and off Team bhp going through the discussions on lot of cars. Now time has come for me to seek your help.

Planning to change my Santro for either a Punto 2012 or Indica Vista. Need your guidance and choosing between the two.

Have a booking for Swift ZDI...have waited 5 months and getting really peeved with the wait and the way dealer treats us.

Any suggestions?
Old 4th January 2012, 22:39   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praburaghav View Post
Planning to change my Santro for either a Punto 2012 or Indica Vista. Need your guidance and choosing between the two.

Have a booking for Swift ZDI...have waited 5 months and getting really peeved with the wait and the way dealer treats us.
Since you have already waited for 5 months, you delivery of Swift should happen soon especially since you have booked a ZDi. Try and talk to the dealer about approximate delivery time - If they don't give any dates, call up the regional sales office [contact # mentioned in the Maruti website]. This should take care of dealer issues.

In case you don't want to wait for Swift, I suggest you go for Punto if you like to drive. Since you have shortlisted Vista as the second choice, I assume you are OK with the TATA A$$ ! If you want a car with lots of space - then Vista is the choice.

Edit:: Please note that of all the B+ hatch segment, Swift ticks most boxes for an average customer, unless you are a big Fiat fan. So take a wise call; you have waited for 5 months as well - waiting for another month would not hurt!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th January 2012 at 22:43. Reason: Adding "Edit" portion.
Old 4th January 2012, 23:31   #352

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Since you have already waited for 5 months, you delivery of Swift should happen soon especially since you have booked a ZDi. Try and talk to the dealer about approximate delivery time - If they don't give any dates, call up the regional sales office [contact # mentioned in the Maruti website]. This should take care of dealer issues.

In case you don't want to wait for Swift, I suggest you go for Punto if you like to drive. Since you have shortlisted Vista as the second choice, I assume you are OK with the TATA A$$ ! If you want a car with lots of space - then Vista is the choice.

Edit:: Please note that of all the B+ hatch segment, Swift ticks most boxes for an average customer, unless you are a big Fiat fan. So take a wise call; you have waited for 5 months as well - waiting for another month would not hurt!
Thank you for the words of wisdom. Space is not one of my requirements as I spend most of the time at the wheels; and the rear seats are 99% of the time craving for passengers. My usage is around 40-50 KM per day and 2K average PM. Do atleast 700-900 KMs once a month on weekend highway trips. Also I am crazy about driving but sedately.

I was told the the wait would be for 4-5 months for Swift. Today got an update that it will be another 2 months...by end of February. So getting impatient and also not too keen on Swift (wife's choice ). Being a Fiat fan, my mind is more towards Punto. Somehow convinced my wife.

Vista was opted based on inputs from friends / owners for 2 years. They seem to have no issues with the vehicle and ***. But they are sedate drivers and do 300-400 KM per month.

My concern is on the driving comfort within city on Punto. Need some experienced inputs.
Old 5th January 2012, 00:17   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

I have been on and off Team bhp going through the discussions on lot of cars. Now time has come for me to seek your help.

Any suggestions?
Go for the official punto review by GTO,and IMHO, there is no car like punto in its segment right now,the ride quality is superb,the steering response at high speed is awesome ,so is the high speed dynamics.
In my 18 months of ownerhip ,i have taken it to places like Nashik ,Haridwar,Nainital and I assure you it was always fun.
NOw the reality bytes the only fly in the ointment is the after sales service,which again seems to be improving at least this has been my personal experience .
Last the news that the fiat are considering to start their dedicated showrooms is really great news for the prospective buyers as they can really hope and anticipated better after sales behavior by the new dealers .
Now as regards Maruti ,it surely is Numero Uno and arguably so ,nobody has matched up to its high benchmarks in customer relations.
So its your call, i think if you want have a solid ,well built car then go for it but if want a niggle free ownership and fun to drive car then swift is the obvious choice .
I have driven both and I cant simply stand anything less than a FIAT.
But its your call as its your money ,we have taken our call and really happy about it
regards
Praveen singh
Old 5th January 2012, 00:54   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Any suggestions?
raghav, i'm in the same boat as you are. Have a 2 month old booking on the Swift and the wait is already getting frustrating. Since you've already waited 5 months, your car should be delivered soon, may be in 15 days or a month as that seems to be the avg waiting period.

I think you should stick to your booking and get the Swift. If its what your heart really wants, you'll regret cancelling a booking in the lat minute to get another car. As far as the Punto goes, it certainly is a good choice if your going to be using it on the highways a lot. It certainly beats the Swift when it comes to ride quality, stability and steering response, but bear in mind the terrible resale value, niggles,and depending on where you live the after-sales.

EDIT: @blueblooded: If you read the review carefully, you'll notice GTO's choice has changed from the Punto to the Swift after the test drive.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 5th January 2012 at 00:56.
Old 5th January 2012, 01:33   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
I am helping my cousin in selecting a hatchback car who is in Goa by this month. When build quality (here I mean toughness wise) is concerned I remember only three cars as of now. Fiat Punto, Indica Vista and VW Polo. In comparison to the new Maruti Swift he is bit hesitant to accept the new design and says the previous was preferrable. He ruled out Polo due to less features with respect to the price tag. I suggested new Indica Vista Quadrajet (Top End) and Punto 90 BHP.

Any idea when new version of Punto will be available in the market? How will be After Sales Service for FIAT in Karnataka and Goa?
Hi Yogesh,

I have been using a Punto EPK in Goa since Aug 2009. Although Punto is a vey nice car, its A.S.S in Goa is pathetic. I dont have much idea about Karnataka region. Had been to Manickbag Automobiles once in Belgaum, but it wasnt much of an experience as i was way short on time and had to leave the city. Goa has only one service center for Fiat cars, Auto Industries, margao, who are busy selling TATA trucks due to the mining boom on the Goa and the surrounding region. Forget about Fiat, these people dont even care for TATA make cars. Appointments are to be taken atleast two weeks earlier. No follow up of any kind is done after servicing.....the list goes on. There is hardly anyone I know who has had a better experience at this dealership.

I heard from some of my friends that Marvelous Motors, Kolhapur is the closest "good" place to "service" a Fiat car. I am planning to pay a visit to kolhapur for the 3rd servicing (45k, i am currently doing 40k).

IMO, the car is good, A.S.S is equally bad (atleast in Goa). Some people live with it, I wish I could.
Old 5th January 2012, 08:00   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarswift View Post
Talked to Fiat yet again. Punto 90 HP is going to be available in Bangalore at 717000 ex showroom. Not sure whether any changes were carried over from new Punto though.
At 7.17L ex-showroom, the price increase is about 30K without the addition of any features. I think that makes the Punto 90HP overpriced and no longer VFM.
Old 5th January 2012, 12:37   #357
BHPian

Price of Punto & Linea OTR Bangalore from Concord Motors
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-price.jpg  

Last edited by asdon : 5th January 2012 at 12:42. Reason: Format issues
Old 5th January 2012, 13:09   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
IMO, the car is good, A.S.S is equally bad (atleast in Goa). Some people live with it, I wish I could.
I don't think *** is any good in Goa for any of the cars except Maruti and Hyundai. I have first hand experience with Maruti, Hyundai, Ford, Honda (2 whlrs), Mahindra (2 Whlrs), Honda cars *** and but for Maruti and Hyundai all are pathetic. I also went to Fiat-Tata showroom at Verna for enquiring about Fiat and the SR was least bothered about them, he was pressing more for Tata that much that he was caring more for Nano rather than Linea and Punto. IIRC there is an ownership report of Linea on a website called goaonwheels and there also same thing been said car is good but *** is most pathetic.
Old 5th January 2012, 13:40   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the words of wisdom. Space is not one of my requirements as I spend most of the time at the wheels; and the rear seats are 99% of the time craving for passengers. My usage is around 40-50 KM per day and 2K average PM. Do atleast 700-900 KMs once a month on weekend highway trips. Also I am crazy about driving but sedately.

I was told the the wait would be for 4-5 months for Swift. Today got an update that it will be another 2 months...by end of February. So getting impatient and also not too keen on Swift (wife's choice ). Being a Fiat fan, my mind is more towards Punto. Somehow convinced my wife.

Vista was opted based on inputs from friends / owners for 2 years. They seem to have no issues with the vehicle and ***. But they are sedate drivers and do 300-400 KM per month.

My concern is on the driving comfort within city on Punto. Need some experienced inputs.
The Punto is a pain in the city, the lousy gearshift and turning radius are a put off. The swift is newer and looks fresh, the interiors are more modern. The Punto is good on the highway and the steering is wonderful, as a package, its the new Swift all the way for you.

I am telling this as a Punto owner, unless steering feedback is a high priority(50km of daily urban commuting tell me its not) don't go for the Punto. I have driven 20K in 10months, so my average matches your expected running .On a related note,because you have mentioned space is not important don't go near the Vista.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 13:52   #360
Senior - BHPian

Fiat India are not going to gain anything out of these new launches unless and otherwise there is a genuine improvement to the product. Opening dedicated showrooms, service centers and a cafe are all good, at the end there has to be quality to a product.

There is a plastic part that fuses with the wind screen just below the wipers. It runs the entire length of the windscreen. My car is just 20 days old, has run just 1500km and has never been parked in the hot sun. Even after taking care of all this, this plastic piece looks faded and does not look very nice. There is already a gap between this plastic part and the wind screen at one point. Will put up a picture soon.

Quality and a Customer First approach in the only way Fiat can sell a car. I have been reading about much improved customer service. However, from the experience I had when I first went to buy my Fiat, it is still far from it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed