Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 20:17   #436
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

@dscaria
Wow like winona ryder says in autumn in new york.The passion and poetism in the post was really moving and give me a real high .
If one cant listen to linking park ,one can very well tune in Pink floyd or dire straits .A grand thumbs up for the fence sitters and prospective buyers of fiat.
cheers
praveen singh
Old 9th January 2012, 20:36   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
@dscaria
Wow like winona ryder says in autumn in new york.The passion and poetism in the post was really moving and give me a real high .
If one cant listen to linking park ,one can very well tune in Pink floyd or dire straits .A grand thumbs up for the fence sitters and prospective buyers of fiat.
cheers
praveen singh
+1 to that. I am one such fence sitter, dreaming for the last one year at least. With the new editions, two major issues seem to have been addressed by FIAT, low GC & interior fit & finish. How I wish the 1.6 MJD would have been plonked in the new editions. Anyone in their wildest dreams feel that this 1.6 motor will find its way under the hood of the Linea, some day or the other?
Old 9th January 2012, 20:45   #438
Senior - BHPian

The CP caffe has two cars. The sunbeam beige linea 1.4 petrol and tuscan wine punto 1.4 petrol TD cars. that dynamic linea just looks malnourished with the raised stance and with 15" alloy wheels. It cries for 17 inchers. That apart, the ancient 1.4 motor is nothing to write home about. But forget all that and just go above the speed breakers at high speeds. The raised suspension simply rocks. At points where a city or verna would turn like speedboats and perish, the linea behaves like titanic. Just simple point and shoot handling. In fact, its only the new fiesta that drives better. The interiors now feel well put together though some feel should be more premium, especially considering the asking price above 8.8 lakhs. I took a round around janpath which had like 4-5 speed breakers and the car just glided over them. Without any fuss. Its a car that would respect to your command.

Drove the punto next. Petrol again. The engine felt a wee bit better but refinement isn't in the Honda league. Once again, its the drive that masks this drawback. The handling has lost that magic which made the older punto a legend but only hardcore fiat buffs will notice this. The redesigned suspension setup ACTUALLY RIDES MUCH, MUCH BETTER than the old punto. And this is what counts for the mass market. Enthusiasts will want more performance, but again, the diesel remains a sensible choice.

Don't crib about performance now. We all know what happened to palio 1.6. But still wannabe racers would do better in buying a ferrari and the buddh circuit.

Like I said earlier, roll down the window, smoke your marlboro, pump up the classical scandenavian pop and just enjoy its drive quality and mile munching ability. And that new colour looks gleaming, moving art in motion. The interiors still cry for more improvement but the new fabric and overall feel is considerably improved. Just some more tightning up required. But ain't a deal breaker anymore.

At the end of the day, I got a TD feedback form and wrote just one comment:

"Linea 1.4 petrol. The car is great. Simply great. But get the damn T Jet engine in ALL variants."

The truth is I hardly drive my own car these days. Like just 4-5 days per month. Otherwise a oceanic blue punto emotion D would have been in my garage.

Great job in listening to customers and improving upon a great package. I would rate still rate the 2012 punto D as a much, much better all round car than the overhyped swift which, unfortunately, is...well..overhyped.

Last edited by sidindica : 9th January 2012 at 20:59.
sidindica is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 20:54   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by drscaria View Post
I love reading negative comments about the Linea and not finding them in my Linea at all...

Book a test drive. Tip them some extra bucks and drive it for an hour to really know it. The linea is the modern version of "Elanor" from Gone in Sixty seconds!! [i know i love it tooo much. Admiration GUARANTEED]
I have tried LONG AND HARD for years to explain to people why FIATs are just so brilliant, but DAMN, that explanation really sums it up. I wish I could thank more than once.
Old 9th January 2012, 22:07   #440
BHPian

Quote:
I love reading negative comments about the Linea and not finding them in my Linea at all...
Thanks drscaria, this is one of the best write up that can summarize the qualities of Fiat cars. After having owned 2 Fiat cars for the last 4.5 years and have driven extensively through the roads of Kerala I also share the same feelings described you.
Old 9th January 2012, 23:47   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Petrol again. The engine felt a wee bit better but refinement isn't in the Honda league.
Which Honda are you comparing it to? The current gen City's 1.5 is no way more refined than the Linea's 1.4, atleast at higher revs.
Old 10th January 2012, 01:16   #442
BHPian

+ swift can swift and swifter but cant beat the punto in ride and handling.period.
The fiat has to fight hard with the past baggage and people tend to take decision more on hype hype than reason .
But the discerning souls its treat to have this .
I am too drooling to lay my hands on T-jet sooner than its possible
regards
praveen singh
Quote:
T
suspension setup ACTUALLY RIDES MUCH, MUCH BETTER than the old pun
Great job in listening to customers and improving upon a great package. I would rate still rate the 2012 punto D as a much, much better all round car than the overhyped swift which, unfortunately, is...well..overhyped.
Old 10th January 2012, 09:08   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Book a test drive. Tip them some extra bucks and drive it for an hour to really know it. The linea is the modern version of "Elanor" from Gone in Sixty seconds!! [i know i love it tooo much. Admiration GUARANTEED]
Loved every word of it drscaria. Am a fiat lover, though don't own a fiat as of now but wish to own one soon and such words only make my resolve stronger.
Old 10th January 2012, 09:13   #444
Senior - BHPian

I think the latest launch from the FIAT-Chrysler partnership, the Dodge Dart will be the replacement for the Linea eventually. Fiat will be able to lower cost using scale, I hope they maintain HPS and suspension set up. The car does look quite good on the inside.
Old 10th January 2012, 11:32   #445
BHPian

Hi All,

Thanks for your mails.

Just checked the Fiat website, they have started listing Punto 90HP as a variant of Punto 2012 Diesel atleast on the price page. So i guess changes are being carried over. No information about the Linea T-Jet though.

Logically, it makes sense, because unless Fiat has inventory lying around, it will be cost effective for them to have changes across all variants of Punto including 90 HP so that they can source the parts cheaper because of volume.

On personal from, BNW has been rejected by high command and the final color is Tuscan Wine. SA assured delivery in one month.

I am approaching KHT motors in whitefield for the car. Is it advisable or there are better dealers out there in Bangalore.

Regards
Saurabh
Old 10th January 2012, 12:32   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarswift View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for your mails.

Just checked the Fiat website, they have started listing Punto 90HP as a variant of Punto 2012 Diesel atleast on the price page. So i guess changes are being carried over. No information about the Linea T-Jet though.

Logically, it makes sense, because unless Fiat has inventory lying around, it will be cost effective for them to have changes across all variants of Punto including 90 HP so that they can source the parts cheaper because of volume.

On personal from, BNW has been rejected by high command and the final color is Tuscan Wine. SA assured delivery in one month.

I am approaching KHT motors in whitefield for the car. Is it advisable or there are better dealers out there in Bangalore.

Regards
Saurabh
Congratulations on your decision.
As far as I have heard, Prerana and Concorde are better bet than KHT. Bangalore members can throw more light into this.
Old 10th January 2012, 12:41   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarswift View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for your mails.

Regards
Saurabh
Personally I will not prefer KHT any more, I got my Punto from them and I had to fight a lot for small things and their service center people are too dumb to solve any problems in Fiat cars, and the sales team is pathetic. I am in touch with Concord & Prerna, though my choice might change to Linea Dynamic anytime as home ministry is not in favour to Punto replaced by Punto. And the New Blue Linea has blown her.

Last edited by asdon : 10th January 2012 at 12:42.
Old 10th January 2012, 13:03   #448
BANNED

Quote:
The CP caffe has two cars. The sunbeam beige linea 1.4 petrol and tuscan wine punto 1.4 petrol TD cars. that dynamic linea just looks malnourished with the raised stance and with 15" alloy wheels. It cries for 17 inchers. That apart, the ancient 1.4 motor is nothing to write home about. But forget all that and just go above the speed breakers at high speeds. The raised suspension simply rocks. At points where a city or verna would turn like speedboats and perish, the linea behaves like titanic. Just simple point and shoot handling. In fact, its only the new fiesta that drives better. The interiors now feel well put together though some feel should be more premium, especially considering the asking price above 8.8 lakhs. I took a round around janpath which had like 4-5 speed breakers and the car just glided over them. Without any fuss. Its a car that would respect to your command.

Drove the punto next. Petrol again. The engine felt a wee bit better but refinement isn't in the Honda league. Once again, its the drive that masks this drawback. The handling has lost that magic which made the older punto a legend but only hardcore fiat buffs will notice this. The redesigned suspension setup ACTUALLY RIDES MUCH, MUCH BETTER than the old punto. And this is what counts for the mass market. Enthusiasts will want more performance, but again, the diesel remains a sensible choice.

Don't crib about performance now. We all know what happened to palio 1.6. But still wannabe racers would do better in buying a ferrari and the buddh circuit.

Like I said earlier, roll down the window, smoke your marlboro, pump up the classical scandenavian pop and just enjoy its drive quality and mile munching ability. And that new colour looks gleaming, moving art in motion. The interiors still cry for more improvement but the new fabric and overall feel is considerably improved. Just some more tightning up required. But ain't a deal breaker anymore.

At the end of the day, I got a TD feedback form and wrote just one comment:

"Linea 1.4 petrol. The car is great. Simply great. But get the damn T Jet engine in ALL variants."

The truth is I hardly drive my own car these days. Like just 4-5 days per month. Otherwise a oceanic blue punto emotion D would have been in my garage.

Every word true.

Well, cant say much about the Petrol Punto, but yes the 90 hp is the MOST POWERFUL HATCH India ever has, No 2 ways about it, The things that takes the Punto ahead of its counterparts

1) NO hatch comes even an inch closer to the way the Punto handles
2) No hatch to take the broken roads the way Punto does
3) Comfortable
4) Drop dead gorgeous looks- Unmatchable
5) Gizmo's offered at the Best VFM
6) Service Intervals of 15K

About A.S.S , Bangalore has the least of troubles.

We test drove one in Nov-2011, and it lived up to the expectation, Waiting for the 2012 90 hp Test Drive.

Personally, we did not like the Flowery Alloys, maybe the Turbine blade pattern from the T-jet suits the Punto better
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-img_8483.jpg  

Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-img_8491.jpg  

Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-img_8492.jpg  

Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-img_8496.jpg  

Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-img_8500.jpg  

Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-img_8502.jpg  

Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-img_8503.jpg  

Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-img_8508.jpg  

Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-img_8509.jpg  

Attached Images

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 13:06   #449

A moderator once said, "Once a Fiatian, always a Fiatian" I . Here's why he might have said that,

Some crib about Fiat's past mistakes and lose a Fiat while causing others the same loss. But know this, at the time when India had not opened its markets, only these guys were here to service the bhp-counters. Only other car you found on the mud roads then was the Ambassador. The baby boomers who made Fiat to what it is today are retired but they passed the baton to capable engineers like themselves and might not have taught any marketing skills to their subordinates.

When they returned they found a partner in India's greatest company. They came with a car that was acclaimed as the car of the year, not just in india, but in the western world as well.

Believing the hype about the India Inc and all about the growth, they expected open arm welcome, so they set up a factory too. They might have believed that Indians are the ones who read the fine print or always access team-bhp. Some called it gutsy, but the competition muttered, "Let's.....see....".

Everyone loved the advertisement of the father and the kid, they loved the car, they loved the engine, loved the blue and me, stood with dropped jaws on hearing the mileage in diesal, loved the safety offered by the vault like doors, loved the torque, loved the maneavouring, were stumped by the 3 year crazy warranty schemes and the 24*7 roadside assistance, loved the peace of mind for not worrying about the spare parts since they now had a factory in Ranjangaon and lastly they even fell for the gorgeous new Cherry red logo. Few even knew that other manufacturers are sourcing their engines from Fiat. And a miniscule was aware about its relationship with Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and the 500 etc.

The buoyant Dealers waited with stretched arms and stocks of Linea and Punto piled up but the customers arrived and went away.

Alas, the customers, bought the uncomfortable sofa sets coming from the Korean assembly units. They loved SRK more than Sachin and talked about John Abraham. Tatas admitted that the Fiats are better than what they have in their own stable. Everyone cribbed about the fiesta, but the dealers still sold many base versions, during the wedding season. The Etios and Liva are good, cute and average and deserve a pat on their back since they are the children of Toyota who remind me of my day to day efforts at cost cutting.

Wondering if the Vento would have sold as many / any, had it had a maruthi or any other tag on it. The Skodas are also not bad since they atleast attempted to flood the Indian roads with the vento and calling it a Rapid. Everyone loved the Palio all these years but walked past it since it did not have a "MAAYAKAA" [hindi word...don't know its english equivalent].. The SX4 too had Fiat's engines.

But then tens of thousands said to themselves...Fiat can't really be that good, can it?? They can't run a profitable company selling all these goodies at such low prices. They either will meet the fate of Daewoo or might have been financed and supported by Bernie Madoff's wife. Let me buy a Swift/ Dzire/ Vento/ Micra/ Figo/ SX4/ Vista/ Rapid/ Sunny, for now and after a hundred years if the Fiats are still selling good cars in India, then probably, I'd finance one for myself and for my children.

In India, you don't buy a Fiat and go for some other car if:

1. You don't read the fine print, neither do you understand it much.
2. You want to buy a Toyota Innova

In the meantime, when i was returning from the dealership with my brand new Minimal grey Fiat Linea Emotion Pk, I saw another Linea coming towards me at about the same speed as mine @50kmph. Some stranger. We shifted weight off our right feet. He too had his AC on. He too was checking my silver baby while I was drooling over his Golden Jet. Our families exchanged smiles with each other. Gazed at each other's Elanor's and when we had crossed each other by 20 meters, shifted the gear up to 2 and continued our journey back home.

ADMIRATION ..................(fill in the blanks if u agree/disagree)
drscaria is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 13:15   #450
Senior - BHPian

One of my colleague in my building had booked a Foxtrot Azure Punto (Diesel) in second week of Dec 2011 for which he had got a huge discount when Fiat was running the offer. He paid 10K as advance and the cost of the buy was 5.5 L for the dynamic variant. Few days later Fiat put in the papers about 2012 models and my friend enquired for the change in the model. The dealer offered the variant minus any discount for which my friend cancelled the booking, now he's running behind the dealer for the booking amt refund.

Any advise what should my friend be ideally doing? Should he live with the 2011 model or skip the discount and go ahead with the 2012 buy. He's smitten with the Punto looks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed