Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 00:34   #526
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Test Driven Punto 2012 1.3 Emotion today & Came back Impressed.

Hi5's (Positives noticed):
At Standstill

With Increased Ground Clearance, car feels much taller & looks good now with its Maserati-Nose standing much higher now, previously which was prone to Scrape.
-Test Drive car was mere 624kms driven.
-NVH greatly reduced at both Standstill & while moving.
-'Much criticized' Plastic panel finish around keyhole is Improved now.
-Don't FIAT have Improved it or not but Its Gearshift is much better, Smoother & Precise now. You just need to 'Direct-to-the-Gate & Gently Push' now than previous forceful Shift now.
-Interior finishing is same but Panels are better fitted now.
-New lighter Grey shade works well & really lends some Coziness to the Interiors but as I'm biased towards the Beige-Black combo of Linea & also have loved to see them in it also.
-Best Working part in Interiors was its Handbrake lever, it needed just a Gentle Pull to engage.

While On the move
-Again, Better NVH than before. A very 90 HP-ish now.
-Acceleration is much better than previous versions & Punto feels eager to move now.
-1st & 2nd Gears are Short(as usual) for City Driving & 3rd onwards better suited for Highways.
-For the 1st time I felt the Swift-like 'Turbo-kick' in FIAT Punto Diesel & really Induced the factor on the Driver's face.
-Engine gets a bit less Refined beyond 3000Rpm but never turns Coarse.
Gruff-ness is completely missing in this Diesel engine.
-Cruising Speed in this car was around 100kmph with very light Right foot.
-Gear-Shift remains Smoother in each gear & as explained above.

As the TD car was having mere 624kms on its ODO-meter & was in Run-In-Period, So I'd expect the Performance & NVH figures to Improve further after this Run-In-period.

BLUES(Negatives):
-New TD car was Pulling to the LEFT side, while in motion & I seriously request FIAT Punto owners to come forward & Reply as much on this aspect now, as it the problem with All Made-In-India Puntos or In few cars only !!
My Purchase decision is seriously dependent on this issue alone.
-Front Seat Recline Adjustment & Height adjustment levers are really Flimsy.
Even with Gentle Pull their Plastic bends lending a very Fragile feel(as stated above).

My Verdict: Now Even a Die-hard Swift fan/seeker can't Ignore this car.
She's really More Cozier from Inside, Swifter on Driving & Desirable to own now.
CRtorquefan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 01:51   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Sadly, yes. I didn't want to mention it and rub any Fiat fans the wrong way, but it's a shame that Fiat's MJD performs better on a Swift than it does on the Punto.
I think all of you who are sad because mjds are swifter in non fiat cars, forgot to notice one major point, that weight of punto. Punto is atleast 200 kg weighter than the japnees indian. Which makes punto a safer car than others in line.
asdon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 02:23   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I think all of you who are sad because mjds are swifter in non fiat cars, forgot to notice one major point, that weight of punto. Punto is atleast 200 kg weighter than the japnees indian. Which makes punto a safer car than others in line.
Safer? Really? Hmmm.. Make what you want of the data in the image. Just compiled it by extracting image from HOME | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating.

Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-euro-ncap-crash-test-results_swift-g-punto.jpg

Also, do check this link for NCAP crash test result for Suzuki Swift [one of the cars that runs with 1.3 multijet engine]. Test results show they are 'as safe' as the heavier GP..

Euro NCAP 5 Stars For Suzuki Swift | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 03:10   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Safer? Really? Hmmm.. Make what you want of the data in the image.
Well the crash test and NCAP ratings would be similar and if you take in factors like the crumple zones, side beams etc then the Swift is as safe a car as a Punto.

I would go on to say that the Punto may not be a "more safer" car than the Swift if you go by ratings but to whom the steel vault type build quality matters, the Punto does "feel more safer"

The sheet metal of punto is much more solid than Swift, close the doors of both the cars and compare the "clunk" and "thud" , if it increases the safety or not is upto the customer to decide, am one of those old fashioned guys who feel that solid sheet metal does help in accidents, to me a Skoda or VW is safer than Honda, Hyundai and a FIAT more than Maruti, i would feel much safer in skoda and fiat, i may be wrong and its my opinion.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 12th January 2012 at 03:12.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 03:25   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Safer? Really? Hmmm.. Make what you want of the data in the image. Just compiled it by extracting image from HOME | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating.

Attachment 870401

Also, do check this link for NCAP crash test result for Suzuki Swift [one of the cars that runs with 1.3 multijet engine]. Test results show they are 'as safe' as the heavier GP..

Euro NCAP 5 Stars For Suzuki Swift | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews
Do you get all this here in India on the Swift!?

Front seatbelt pretensioners
Front seatbelt load limiters
Side body airbags
Side head airbags
Driver knee airbag
anachronix is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 04:02   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Do you get all this here in India on the Swift!?

Front seatbelt pretensioners
Front seatbelt load limiters
Side body airbags
Side head airbags
Driver knee airbag
+1 to that.
NCAP ratings are variant specific but people as well as manufacturers tend to mislead. Surprising that a T-BHPian gets swayed so easily. Its becoming like ISO certification which is given for process but people and companies advertise as though it will guarantee a greater product.
Old 12th January 2012, 05:14   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Punto 90HP has got superior power:weight compared to Swift. Highest in the class maybe.
Weight cannot be the excuse.
Old 12th January 2012, 07:38   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Punto 90HP has got superior power:weight compared to Swift. Highest in the class maybe.
Weight cannot be the excuse.
Well I was talking in terms of 76bhp punto. By any terms I don't think 90hp punto is slower than any car in road, in that matter 76 bhp is also not a slow runner, forget those 0_60 numbers published by car mags, talk about real world, any if you think gou can beat a punto by swift in straight line please join me sometime. As I belive cars don't win race driver do.

Last edited by asdon : 12th January 2012 at 07:42.
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 07:44   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not 200kg, I think with the weight reduction that the Punto supposedly underwent sometime in 2010, the difference is now about 50-60kg. And Punto 90HP has better power to weight ratio than the Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I would go on to say that the Punto may not be a "more safer" car than the Swift if you go by ratings but to whom the steel vault type build quality matters, the Punto does "feel more safer"

The sheet metal of punto is much more solid than Swift
I don't know about the Swift, but I can tell you about Wagon-R. My Punto had a parking accident when a Wagon-R hit my parked Punto. The damage to my Punto is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2627978

The damage to the Wagon-R: two dented doors, from the middle of the right front to the middle of the right rear. Of course, the angle at which the Wagon-R hit my car would've been a factor here - but everyone who gathered at the spot was surprised to see that the damage to my Punto was mainly some paint loss.

Quote:
And for the last point 'Ignorance is bliss'
That's a bit rich coming from you isn't it? The person who wrote the "ignorant" post is a Fiat-owner. What are you? Please accept my apologies if you are an unhappy Fiat "owner".
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 08:14   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post

That's a bit rich coming from you isn't it? The person who wrote the "ignorant" post is a Fiat-owner. What are you? Please accept my apologies if you are an unhappy Fiat "owner".
Is it a necessity that one can comment on Fiat's performance only if one owns the car ?
There is a simply logic. Drive the cars and it doesn't take quantum mechanics to understand the performance. My simple point was Linea's MJD isn't the 'best in class' engine and there is no point arguing any further or going off topic.

Quote:
Well I was talking in terms of 76bhp punto. By any terms I don't think 90hp punto is slower than any car in road, in that matter 76 bhp is also not a slow runner, forget those 0_60 numbers published by car mags, talk about real world, any if you think gou can beat a punto by swift in straight line please join me sometime. As I belive cars don't win race driver do.
I sure you meant 90HP isn't slower than any 'diesel hatchback' on road.
I will hold back my opinion on Punto 90HP as my experience is limited to few test drives only.
If 90HP is quicker than Swift in real world then its a good thing.

Last edited by Turbokick : 12th January 2012 at 08:22.
Old 12th January 2012, 08:52   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
BLUES(Negatives):
-New TD car was Pulling to the LEFT side, while in motion & I seriously request FIAT Punto owners to come forward & Reply as much on this aspect now, as it the problem with All Made-In-India Puntos or In few cars only !!
Even with Gentle Pull their Plastic bends lending a very Fragile feel(as stated above).

My Verdict: Now Even a Die-hard Swift fan/seeker can't Ignore this car.
She's really More Cozier from Inside, Swifter on Driving & Desirable to own now.
Hey CRtorquefan. I wish you go for a GP.

The car pulling towards the left is nothing serious. May be an alignment problem. When the i20 CRDI was launched, the TD car I drove had the same issue and when I pointed this out, the SA was clueless about what an alignment issue is .

I agree that the levers are flimsy. I had the same opinion when I purchased the Punto. But, never had any issues with that as such. Now, that I have sold Punto and bought a Linea, the Livers are of same quality in Linea too. But, not had any issues so far.

Quote:
I completely agree with you asdon. Punto's and Linea's are different beasts on the highway. Those who have driven extensively can understand this well. Those who go by mags reviews and done couple of Kms TD, it is very hard for them to believe what Fiat owners say. For them, Fiat owners are Ignorant .

Last edited by rameshnanda : 12th January 2012 at 09:03.
rameshnanda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 09:28   #537
BHPian

It may have weak in 0-60 timing but in gear acceleration is definitely higher especially 80+ . I have witnessed swift fighting with punto in chennai- bangy NH. Punto pulls like no one in business and lunged forward beat the swift hell out. There was another guy, tail smoking like pig may be with a tuning box wanna race with me. He woke up my beast. Downshift to 3rd rev till redline. I can see him vanishing. Later I slowed down but he is hiding somewhere in shame didnt come forward.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 12th January 2012, 09:30   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
BLUES(Negatives):
I have a 9 month old Punto which has run 14k kms and have never faced the left pulling issue. Also the seat height lever might look flimsy, but the plastic part is actually wrapping around a steel rod which makes it very sturdy.

If there are no other concerns you can definitely give Punto a try.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:48   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it a necessity that one can comment on Fiat's performance only if one owns the car ?
There is a simply logic. Drive the cars and it doesn't take quantum mechanics to understand the performance. My simple point was Linea's MJD isn't the 'best in class' engine and there is no point arguing any further or going off topic.
You have every right to post your comment on Fiat cars, but a member had posted his own personal experience with his car over a 2-year period and he doesn't find any of the alleged issues with the car - what right do you have to call him ignorant? By that logic is a happy VW Polo TDI owner ignornat too since he/she has bought a 3-cylinder car as opposed to 4-cylinder cars offered by the competition?
Old 12th January 2012, 09:59   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry to interrupt your discussion mate, its been a norm here and its usually the folks who havent really driven or owned a Fiat have the problem with Peformance/A.S.S/Niggles of the Fiats while the owners are actually happy with their own products

I see the same in discussion over the past couple of pages!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed