Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 23:03   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I'm car-less now and need a car badly. I know discounts might start in from as early as February end, but I can not wait till then and I couldn't convince myself for any other car.

Will be booking my car in a couple of days knowing fully that the prices will go down by a considerable margin.

Meanwhile, guys let me know in case you come across dealers still having stock of 2011 cars in TN or Kerala.
Heard that a dealer in Madurai has some stocks. You can give a try for this.

Link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2642365
rameshnanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 23:20   #587
BHPian

Today I test drove Linea 2012 -MJD and Punto 1.4 - 2012. Definitely the fit and finish has improved a lot. Clutch and steering were very light. I don't think higher GC has affected the stability.

Last edited by prkothan : 13th January 2012 at 23:23.
prkothan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 02:23   #588
BHPian

Folks,
Can anybody, who have taken TD of the 2012 Linea, tell if the "steering touching the left leg (when clutch pressed)" problem is still there or it is rectified.
Old 15th January 2012, 07:36   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Folks,
Can anybody, who have taken TD of the 2012 Linea, tell if the "steering touching the left leg (when clutch pressed)" problem is still there or it is rectified.

There is no such problem in Linea .
vikrantj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 08:43   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
There is no such problem in Linea .
There is, at least for me. When I wear a broad shoe, depress the clutch pedal fully and turn the steering wheel, the lower part - don't know what it's called - scrapes the shoe. Have experienced the same issue in some other cars too, the Getz, for example. Don't bother about it, though.
Old 15th January 2012, 08:54   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,
It is still there and quite annoying IMHO!!!
Old 15th January 2012, 09:11   #592
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
vb-san, are you sure about this? Fiat still refer it as Grande Punto in the official site. But it is not consistent and not at all places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
vb-san, this is not true. Even though Fiat doesn't use the 'Grande' badge on the cars, they mention it as 'Grande Punto' in brochures, Owners handbook and also on the RC book that we get.

If you visit Fiat India website, its been mentioned as Grande Punto at multiple places .
Thanks for correcting. Looks like Fiat India is keen on the Grande part and have retained it

I remember reading somewhere that the evolution from Punto to Grande Punto was when they decided to sell the old and new versions side by side in a few markets. And then on a later stage they dropped the Grande prefix, and retained the name Punto. Now with the current Punto selling in some markets, and a newer version launched in other markets, came the Punto Evo.

And if I am right, the latest 2012 avatar which came in late 2011 have dropped the Evo tag as well, and will get back the name ‘Punto’. Confusing anyway

Note: Anyways, refrain from using acronyms (GP) as it is against forum rules, and the posts may call for moderators’ intervention.
Old 15th January 2012, 18:06   #593
BHPian

Test drove the Oceanic Blue Linea 2012 Emotion MJD at Gurgaon today afternoon (ABS Motors). A quick recap:

Good bits -
1. (Almost) Luxury on wheels - fit & finish much improved than before.
2. Butter smooth ride, handled potholes well, no clatter
3. Great torque! The MJD never stalled, even with minimal acceleration
4. Beautiful new Blue colour, it really looked stunning
5. The Tata-Fiat Dealer was prompt, he even preponed my Test Drive when I got free from my scheduled work a bit early. He called me to reconfirm the TD and again to intimate of his arrival at the apartment gates. Impressed!

Less than great bits -
1. Some minor external noise crept thru (due to it being a test drive car?)
2. Somehow the A-Pillar obstructed a little during right turns (might get resolved by adjusting seat height / position - didn't really check - maybe it would take a few runs to get used to - after all this is the first time I have driven the Linea).
3. The dealer has No clue on delivery date of Oceanic Blue cars (maybe 1 month+, he said). Other colours can readily be made available to take home within a week.

Overall, quite satisfied with the TD.
Old 16th January 2012, 08:41   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Did a Punto Test Drive Yesterday. Drove a distance of approximately 6 km and below are my observations (Comparisons, if any, are with my 2009 Punto and Figo which I TDed Recently)

So will I go for a Punto again?

I think overall as a package there is no still competition to Punto even after a sleuth of launches. Here is a short observation on each of the cars.

1. Figo - Priced right and drove really well. But the immense sense of safety that I get in Punto is missing. Money is important but not at the cost of life!

2. Swift - I always believed that a Swift is overpriced by a Lakh. The new Swift makes it even worse. Stonker performance, but with tin can build, I don't want to risk my life especially considering the increasing number of accidents on Indian roads. Being a highway mile muncher doesn't help either.

3. Vista - A Tata product! I think I will take at least 20 more years to even consider a Tata car.

4. Polo - Priced attrociosly for a 3pot engine. But still people are buying it. Still couldn't understand the rationale.

5. i20 - No! Read my comment above on External Build for Punto.

So after a Punto, will I buy a Punto again? Yes, provided my financials permit.
+1 Well great ,there is no denying that there is no car of matching build quality on Indian roads ,I will commit the sin of buying of punto for mom and dad as and when VItamin M is aplenty
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarswift View Post
Just booked 90 bhp punto 2012 Tuscan wine. Delivery in 21 to 30 days.

So 90 bhp 2012 is available. Prices are also available fiat India website.
Congrats sarwift ,you are going to have miles and miles of safe and happy driving in your punto
Old 16th January 2012, 09:19   #595
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Fiat's customer service (or atleast follow up) has improved by a mile. I was considering the Fiat Linea before I decided on the New Fiesta. Had visited the TATA-Fiat showroom in Dec to check the car out. I got a call from Fiat India, Pune asking about my interest in purchasing a Fiat car. I told the person that I had already purchased a Fiesta. The person congratulated me on my purchase and then asked me the reason for not going in for a Linea. This left me impressed.

I will be replacing my 10 1/2 year Santro in about 6 months time. If the service levels improve, with Fiat opening up more Caffes and also independent A.S.S, I'm really tempted to go in for the Punto.

Meanwhile, could anybody confirm if the GC increase is only for the Active variant?
Old 16th January 2012, 09:26   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Fiat's customer service (or atleast follow up) has improved by a mile. I was considering the Fiat Linea before I decided on the New Fiesta. Had visited the TATA-Fiat showroom in Dec to check the car out. I got a call from Fiat India, Pune asking about my interest in purchasing a Fiat car. I told the person that I had already purchased a Fiesta. The person congratulated me on my purchase and then asked me the reason for not going in for a Linea. This left me impressed.

I will be replacing my 10 1/2 year Santro in about 6 months time. If the service levels improve, with Fiat opening up more Caffes and also independent A.S.S, I'm really tempted to go in for the Punto.

Meanwhile, could anybody confirm if the GC increase is only for the Active variant?
The GC increase is across the variants.
Punto 1.2 - 195 mm
Punto 1.4 and 1.3 MJD - 185 mm
rameshnanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 09:33   #597
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
The GC increase is across the variants.
Punto 1.2 - 195 mm
Punto 1.4 and 1.3 MJD - 185 mm
Thank you for the information.

Punto will be considered during my next purchase thanks to this USP.
Old 16th January 2012, 09:34   #598
BANNED

Quote:
Folks,
Steering never touched my left or right leg, it may be touching for those driving with pointed shoes like in fashion now a days but I never bought one like that and I am fine.
Old 16th January 2012, 10:50   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,
What problem, I haven't faced any such problem even in my 2011 Linea
Old 16th January 2012, 11:43   #600
BHPian

Guys,
The steering column touching ones feet is not a problem with design on Punto/Linea. This can be felt in many cars, if one depressess the clutch pedal with the heels on it then one is supposed to feel it, atleast the steering column does not rattle , Pun !
It is basically how we depress the clutch, I agree that Punto/Linea have a deep travel of clutch however if we depress the clutch with just a tap on the pedal one will never feel the steering column.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed