Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2012, 01:32   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charioteer View Post
5000km !! Is that recommended (or rather, do YOU recommend it) for all cars - petrol /diesel?
Most car companies recommend or should i say most indian companies recommend age old method of going extremely easy on the engine for the first "1000 kms" wherein you dont cross 2000-2500 rpm after which you are good to go once the engine oil is changed.

Make sure you dont stick to a particular rpm, highway driving if done should be done with regular change of rpm's and please dont lug the engine in run in, change gears as required.

I dont think FIAT in its owner manual suggests doing a run in, infact in my 2009 Linea's owner manual i havent seen a page suggesting to go easy for the first 1000 kms or anything like that (some one please correct me if am wrong). These engine are very advanced so just drive normally, dont stress the engine and enjoy your car without worrying too much about run in
Old 19th January 2012, 03:49   #632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
5000km !! Is that recommended (or rather, do YOU recommend it) for all cars - petrol /diesel?
Most modern engines DON'T require a running-in. Even if you want to do it, just keep the revvs low for the first 1000 km.

I used the below method.

1st 300km - shift at 2000 rpm
300-600 km - shift at 3000 rpm
600-1000km - red line at 1 & 2 gears and keep varying your rpms in other gears.

OR

some people say that keep the rpms below 2500 for the whole 1000 kms.

Please make sure you DON'T accelarate quickly or brake hard during the first 1000 kms. Also it's good to get the oil changed at 1000 kms since there are chances that metal particles might get dumped during the run-in.

Make sure you accelerate hard [after 1000 kms] only after the car has achieved optimum temp; that's at least once the temp gauge needle is at the half mark.

Also once in a while, make sure to redline the engine too [after 1000 kms].

With this you should be good to go.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th January 2012 at 03:50.
Old 19th January 2012, 09:55   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Most modern engines DON'T require a running-in. Even if you want to do it, just keep the revvs low for the first 1000 km.
Totally agree with you.

Modern engines do not require any run-in. We just need to make sure that we don't do sudden acceleration and instead take the car to higher speeds gradually. This is only for the initial 1000 Kms.
Old 19th January 2012, 10:33   #634
BHPian

There is a basic principle that the mechanicals inside the engine like bore-piston takes time before its surface smoothens up. This happens with running and gradually the rough surface gets even. In the process the cast iron/aluminium particles gets mixed up with the lubricant (engine oil) and it gets drained during the first oil change.

So till the first oil change happens, its better to drive sedately.
I don't know how far this concept works but this is what I have been regularly told
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 10:53   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Totally agree with you.

Modern engines do not require any run-in. We just need to make sure that we don't do sudden acceleration and instead take the car to higher speeds gradually. This is only for the initial 1000 Kms.
its better that we observe the run in period. not only the engine components require it but also other parts like suspensions , wheel bearings etc.

its a total run-in of the car,not just the engine.

even the brakes need run-in and its mentioned in manual too for the brakes.
Old 19th January 2012, 12:01   #636
BHPian

And now comes the delay in launching FIAT 2012 models through the defence canteens!!

Popular volume players like Maruti, Hyundai, Tata are always quick to register the vehicles with the defence canteens. Though I do not have the statistics available, Honda City sells like hot cakes through these canteens, especially so in the Northern India segment.

Of late, with numbers hard to come by, Tata had introduced Aria through defence canteen. VW had done that immediately on launch of the Ventos and Polos. Even Nissan has understood that these numbers finally add up to make a difference in the overall sales and have already arranged sales of Sunny diesel through CSD.

I am wondering what FIAT is waiting for because there seems to be no news of FIAT 2012 models' price list with the Canteen Department!

Just an input that I have got from Kochi - TATA motors' dealerships, actually responsible for registering both Tata and Fiat range of models through the Canteen Department, have apparently "missed out" listing FIAT cars, because of which TATA Cars are now available through Canteen, whereas FIAT 2012 cars are not!!

Hope somebody from the FIAT management monitors this and does the needful - to make sure not to lose out on the sizeable chunk of auto-enthusiasts out there!
Charioteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 13:16   #637
BHPian

I managed to test drive the 2012 Linea MJD Emotion a couple of days ago. This is after I have test driven the 2011 Linea MJD Emotion 2 months back. I drive a Vento pre-refresh version hence felt the following differences with respect to the Vento.

1. Both the 2011 and 2012 felt pretty sluggish when starting from stand-still, also have to work the gears a lot to get some satisfactory movement in slow traffic situations and exercise patience. Unless the magic RPM is reached the car feels insipid no offense to Linea owners. The Vento in comparison responds pretty well in lower gears below the magic RPM.

2. NVH levels are better than the Vento. In fact the 2012 version is quieter than the 2011 one for the Linea.

3. On the 2011 Linea after hitting 120 KMPH, it was pretty slow acceleration beyond that. The engine noise was also pretty high once 120 KMPH though it could have been an issue with the TD car. Couldn't take the 2012 beyond 100 to test this aspect because of heavy traffic situation.

4. GC is something the 2012 can boast about. The city where I live is known for some fierce humps and bumps and I could take the 2012 version over some fierce ones with minimal rocking and jostling at a slightly higher speed than the Vento without a single scraping sound.

5. The TD car had 300 kms on it and was of stunning blue color. Looked amazing than all other blues I have seen on sedans.
Old 19th January 2012, 13:22   #638
BHPian

Quote:
And now comes the delay in launching FIAT 2012 models through the defence canteens!!
Hope somebody from the FIAT management monitors this and does the needful - to make sure not to lose out on the sizeable chunk of auto-enthusiasts out there!
Sorry for OT but is CSD offering cars as of now. Last I know, in Oct 2011 there was some kind of self imposed ban by CSD on car sales.

Can you please confirm?

Last edited by Amartya : 26th January 2012 at 01:54. Reason: Kindly quote large posts in their entirety if and only if responding to almost each and every point. Cheers.
Old 19th January 2012, 13:36   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I managed to test drive the 2012 Linea MJD Emotion a couple of days ago. This is after I have test driven the 2011 Linea MJD Emotion 2 months back. I drive a Vento pre-refresh version hence felt the following differences with respect to the Vento.

1. Both the 2011 and 2012 felt pretty sluggish when starting from stand-still, also have to work the gears a lot to get some satisfactory movement in slow traffic situations and exercise patience. Unless the magic RPM is reached the car feels insipid no offense to Linea owners. The Vento in comparison responds pretty well in lower gears below the magic RPM.

2. NVH levels are better than the Vento. In fact the 2012 version is quieter than the 2011 one for the Linea.

3. On the 2011 Linea after hitting 120 KMPH, it was pretty slow acceleration beyond that. The engine noise was also pretty high once 120 KMPH though it could have been an issue with the TD car. Couldn't take the 2012 beyond 100 to test this aspect because of heavy traffic situation.

4. GC is something the 2012 can boast about. The city where I live is known for some fierce humps and bumps and I could take the 2012 version over some fierce ones with minimal rocking and jostling at a slightly higher speed than the Vento without a single scraping sound.

5. The TD car had 300 kms on it and was of stunning blue color. Looked amazing than all other blues I have seen on sedans.
Linea mjd is indeed sluggish and it can frustrate you to death.
But when it comes to handling, the other day I happen to drive a Polo 1.6 which changed my picture about its much appreciated handling.

For people working at EGL, there is a round-about near Pine Valley which is a boon for enthusiast to take fast U Turns. I tried doing same on that Polo at a speed of say 30-35 kmph, and felt the car lost its balance while negotiating the steep curve. If tyres are to be blamed then my Palio has entry level yoko A drives but still it feels glued in the same turn at same speed. That Polo had stock acelere FYI.

I felt my Linea handling is not comparable at all then !. I presume Polo and Vento have same handling.
I wonder how i20s etc. handling would be if they say it is inferior than Polo.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 19th January 2012 at 13:40.
Speed Pujari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 13:52   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Linea mjd is indeed sluggish and it can frustrate you to death.
Actually, I am not feeling any sluggishness in my Linea nowadays (I have completed 11.5K Kms.). The car indeed accelerates very well from 2nd gear onwards. Initially, I had the pain of 1nd and 2nd gear in Linea. Now, the car has very much changed and I feel it revvs very well.
Old 19th January 2012, 14:15   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
I felt my Linea handling is not comparable at all then !. I presume Polo and Vento have same handling.
Actually I never felt much difference in terms of handling. The Linea might edge ahead a wee bit over the Vento if one could test it over multiple days. I took some reasonably sharp turns at 40/50 KMPH on the stretch I tested which included a u-turn. The Linea felt the same way as the Vento. Barring the fact that since I had to slow down taking the u-turn, with oncoming traffic, it needed some effort to match the speed of the oncoming traffic after the turn because of its lack of low end grunt in the Linea. The Vento does well IMO in such situations.

Polo could be a different game because it is lighter than the Vento. Though it is true that Fiats are known for the handling and sureness. So probably they score better in terms of handling. One thing I forgot to mention is that same tank like build quality which makes you feel secure inside it
Old 19th January 2012, 15:00   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Actually I never felt much difference in terms of handling. The Linea might edge ahead a wee bit over the Vento if one could test it over multiple days. I took some reasonably sharp turns at 40/50 KMPH on the stretch I tested which included a u-turn. The Linea felt the same way as the Vento. Barring the fact that since I had to slow down taking the u-turn, with oncoming traffic, it needed some effort to match the speed of the oncoming traffic after the turn because of its lack of low end grunt in the Linea. The Vento does well IMO in such situations.

:
I almost agree to this and Vento is actually a very sure footed handler. The difference isn't that much between Linea and Vento. Though Linea has got the unflappable magic carpet ride that doesn't get disturbed by small undilutions on road. It 'glides' over them which is Fiat car's USP.

Body control and stability over flat roads are almost equally good for both cars.

But yes driving pleasure is more immense with Vento thanks to that torquey motor and almost equally good handling. One good advantage of this larger motor is that it doesn't feel 'slow' during its lag and is reasonably responsive. But once the turbo zone appears it behaves like wild horse
Old 19th January 2012, 20:17   #643
BHPian

Team,

I have with me the 2011 and 2012 Punto leaflets. The ground clearance of new Punto has increased, but the height of the car remains same! This means, there is no change in either ride height or suspension, which is good news. The only change may be the bash plate may be mounted closer to the engine.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120119_201424.png
Views: 1410
Size:  175.6 KB

I took a test drive in the 2012 Punto, the ride remains the same, but car felt more silent and second gear gave a mild 'kick' when turbo spooled.

Last edited by autocrat : 19th January 2012 at 20:23.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 20:57   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Actually, I am not feeling any sluggishness in my Linea nowadays (I have completed 11.5K Kms.). The car indeed accelerates very well from 2nd gear onwards. Initially, I had the pain of 1nd and 2nd gear in Linea. Now, the car has very much changed and I feel it revvs very well.
Could be the case. The 2012 version had only 300km on it. The magic RPM I believe is 2000 for the Linea while it is 1500 on the Vento. Somehow till the magic RPM is reached, I felt like hey cmon move ahead. Took quite a few seconds for actually the horses to kick in. Please remember I am comparing my experience with the Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
But yes driving pleasure is more immense with Vento thanks to that torquey motor and almost equally good handling. One good advantage of this larger motor is that it doesn't feel 'slow' during its lag and is reasonably responsive. But once the turbo zone appears it behaves like wild horse
Tell me about it. The lack of this lag in the Vento helps me to weave in and out of the dense traffic Kolkata has effortlessly. After the magic RPM pure bliss , ready to rush to the moon.
Old 19th January 2012, 20:59   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Sorry for OT but is CSD offering cars as of now. Last I know, in Oct 2011 there was some kind of self imposed ban by CSD on car sales.

Can you please confirm?
Car sales from CSD are not happening since Oct 2011. This has happened because CSD has not paid the dealers. Large number of bookings created a huge budget backlog which is just about cleared. With CSD likely to get fresh and increased allocation in budget 2012, car sales from CSD are likely to commence only after that.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks