Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2012, 21:09   #646
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
But yes driving pleasure is more immense with Vento thanks to that torquey motor and almost equally good handling. One good advantage of this larger motor is that it doesn't feel 'slow' during its lag and is reasonably responsive. But once the turbo zone appears it behaves like wild horse
Sorry TurboKick/Samar, I have to disagree here. I drive a T-Jet and have also driven a Vento quite a few times (one of my friend's ride) in some really sharp curves in Chennai (for those who know ECR Marakkanam curves.. they are dangerous set of twists.. whenever I go I see an accident there). The Linea for sure feels very safe and surefooted to take those curves even at 120-130km/hr where as Vento feels unsafe even at 80 there.. of the other cars I have driven there, Ford Fiesta (older one) and the Skodas are outstanding.

While Vento may be better than the Honda / Hyundai, its no close to FIAT while you speak about "hard" (I mean really hard) cornering. Period.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 19th January 2012 at 21:11.
Sathya_sc is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 22:57   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Linea mjd is indeed sluggish and it can frustrate you to death.
But when it comes to handling, the other day I happen to drive a Polo 1.6 which changed my picture about its much appreciated handling.
its very annoying to see this kind of highly untrue comments. i own tjet and driven 15000 kms in 6 months. And i used drive my friends mjd and you know what i feel after driving the car? hmmmm he doesn't miss much.

regards,
Prasanna
prkothan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 23:02   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan View Post
its very annoying to see this kind of highly untrue comments. i own tjet and driven 15000 kms in 6 months. And i used drive my friends mjd and you know what i feel after driving the car? hmmmm he doesn't miss much.

regards,
Prasanna
True. To clarify further to other members as well, the Turbo starts kicking-in from 1500 RPM onward in Linea MJD and not from 2000. The earlier Linea (2009 model with 89 PS) was indeed tuned to kick the Turbo from 2000.

Definitely there is no sluggishness as such in Linea MJD as claimed. At least for me .
Old 19th January 2012, 23:22   #649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
True. To clarify further to other members as well, the Turbo starts kicking-in from 1500 RPM onward in Linea MJD and not from 2000. The earlier Linea (2009 model with 89 PS) was indeed tuned to kick the Turbo from 2000.
Are you sure about the turbo spooling from 1500 onwards? From the website, the turbo spools from 2000 rpm and NOT 1500 rpm. For Manza & SX4 , the turbo kicks in @ 1750 rpm per the respective websites. I guess it should be from 1750 being VGT and not 1500 rpm.
Old 19th January 2012, 23:33   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Are you sure about the turbo spooling from 1500 onwards? From the website, the turbo spools from 2000 rpm and NOT 1500 rpm. For Manza & SX4 , the turbo kicks in @ 1750 rpm per the respective websites. I guess it should be from 1750 being VGT and not 1500 rpm.
Yes. The turbo actually starts spooling from 1500 onward and its an absolute bliss to drive from 2000. When I start to accelerate my Linea in 2nd gear, I feel the turbo spooling in 2 stages.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 19th January 2012 at 23:34.
Old 19th January 2012, 23:38   #651
BHPian

Any changes in the 2010 version of Linea compared to 2009 ? As in gearing or change in tuning ?
Old 19th January 2012, 23:46   #652
BHPian

I am in the market for a Fiat and have been reading a lot about the safety. I will still go ahead with a Punto but this car in my office parking got me thinking today, what could have done this to a Linea?
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-img00040.jpg  

Old 19th January 2012, 23:48   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any changes in the 2010 version of Linea compared to 2009 ? As in gearing or change in tuning ?
As far as i know there was a change in tuning of the 1.3 MJD and the power was bumped up to the current 93 PS from the 87-88 PS it used to have when the car was launched in 2009.

I dont think there was any change to gearing and for the MJD's performance, its a good performer, no its not a rocket but its not sluggish either, you can call 1.4 FIRE sluggish if you want (i own one so no offence to any one). The driveability of the MJD in Linea is good and the car pulls cleanly past 2000 rpm.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 19th January 2012 at 23:53.
Old 20th January 2012, 00:04   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
I took a test drive in the 2012 Punto, the ride remains the same, but car felt more silent
- Yep, the 2012 Punto has very low NVH levels.
- Ride is good, as expected
- Felt a bit unsettled around 120-140. Maybe a problem with this car
- Hated the gearshift though. Doesn't slot in well at all.
- They could have made the steering of a tad smaller dia.
- The clutch travels too much. A matter of getting used to I guess.
- I'd have preferred better finished plastics for a car priced this high. Has that hard shiny okayish look.
- Hard to believe the same engine drives the Swift. The Swift is a lot more fun. And I mean even the new Swift.

I wouldn't buy the Punto in this segment. But that's me.
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 00:07   #655
BHPian

So there was a power bump of almost 5 Bhp but Fiat didn't publicise it much.
But the lag I guess is there till 2000 rpm.
Multijet's strong point is its midrange. That is effortless.
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 02:50   #656

I'm getting a mileage of about 22.3kmpl from my Fiat Linea Emotion Pk 1.3 Diesal of July 2011 in Kerala (mind the good hilly potholes containing the roads of kerala; the 6 months of rain; A/c which is always on). And yes, i have travelled about over 20000kms already. Only thing i'd desired was more ground clearance which comes in the new ones and makes me envious.
drscaria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 07:58   #657
Senior - BHPian

Took a good look at the new Linea and Punto 2012 edition at KHT Motors show room. These guys have just started receiving new cars at their stock yard. I find no change in the quality of materials used on the inside. The seats, though still very supportive seems have lost some of the contours which was there previously. This applies to only the fabric seat versions. I did notice the Auto position on the head lamp stalk but not on the wiper stalk.

There is a slight change in the way the plastic has been fabricated or moulded for the steering column unit. It used to have rounded off edges that very rarely flushed well. This is now sharp edged. It does give a sense of closer fitting and fusing of the panels, still a long way off though to actually look like a quality part.

What is simply out of place is the new raised suspension. This solution may work only for Bangalore owners as we are the only ones to deal with innumerable and varied speed humps. It makes the car looks like it is on stilts. There is a disconnet of the wheels from the body and the gap between the tire and wheel arch is huge. You can see so much of the mudguard and that is not a pleasant sight. I suspect more muck and water getting sprayed beyond the wheel well as the tire is so far away from the steel mudguard for it to be of any use. I am not happy with the changes Fiat India have made. The not so useful Auto lamps and wipers, a new shade and a 3 horse power increase in the diesel engines power output does not warrant to call it a 2012 edition.

No 2012 T Jets coming out atleast for now. KHT motors are still receiving 2011 T Jet's from the plant. They already have 4 unsold units sitting in the stock yard.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 20th January 2012 at 07:59. Reason: spelling error
Old 20th January 2012, 08:26   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Sorry TurboKick/Samar, I have to disagree here. I drive a T-Jet and have also driven a Vento quite a few times (one of my friend's ride) in some really sharp curves in Chennai (for those who know ECR Marakkanam curves.. they are dangerous set of twists.. whenever I go I see an accident there). The Linea for sure feels very safe and surefooted to take those curves even at 120-130km/hr where as Vento feels unsafe even at 80 there.. of the other cars I have driven there, Ford Fiesta (older one) and the Skodas are outstanding.

While Vento may be better than the Honda / Hyundai, its no close to FIAT while you speak about "hard" (I mean really hard) cornering. Period.
I won't dispute that but then taking a hard turn at 120-130 or even 80 is almost like being on an F1 track. As I said earlier if pushed hard or experienced over a few days a Linea could be better than the Vento in terms of handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Yes. The turbo actually starts spooling from 1500 onward and its an absolute bliss to drive from 2000. When I start to accelerate my Linea in 2nd gear, I feel the turbo spooling in 2 stages.
Thats weird. The SA did confirm that the torque max is at 2000 RPM. Even the web site says so here Fiat India. Please note that mine was only a comparative view with respect to the Vento. I am not beating the Vento drum here but the Linea surely has much better NVH control compared to the really loud clatter of the Vento TDI.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
- Yep, the 2012 Punto has very low NVH levels.
- Ride is good, as expected
- Felt a bit unsettled around 120-140. Maybe a problem with this car
- Hated the gearshift though. Doesn't slot in well at all.
- They could have made the steering of a tad smaller dia.
- The clutch travels too much. A matter of getting used to I guess.
- I'd have preferred better finished plastics for a car priced this high. Has that hard shiny okayish look.
- Hard to believe the same engine drives the Swift. The Swift is a lot more fun. And I mean even the new Swift.

I wouldn't buy the Punto in this segment. But that's me.
Hah !!! Something I completely missed mentioning in my initial observations. The gearshift was also one huge difference I found. The Linea 2012 had pretty hard gearshifts when compared to the Vento. It took me really some effort to move and slot the gearstick into place. I am not being biased here but the Vento gearshift is really butter smooth and effortless . In back to back traffic I can rest my left hand on the armrest and move the gears around in the Vento with small wrist movements. In the Linea 2012 took quite some effort which can give you some great biceps on the left hand in the long run. Could be because the TD car was pretty new and it could smooth out over time.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 20th January 2012 at 08:31.
Old 20th January 2012, 08:49   #659
Distinguished - BHPian

I felt good when i read Fiat had upped the Power in Linea MJD to 93hp, for the slowest car in the segment every horse counts. But the report in ACI claims the opposite, they claim despite more power the new Linea is even slower now. How good does 0-60 in 7.12 secs and 0-100 in 17.81 secs sound to you? In comparison to this new Verna & Vento sound like rockets at figures close to 10 and 11 secs for a ton.

What has always been a mystery to me is where does all the power in these Fiats if does not translate onto on road performance? I own a Punto MJD 75hp, if European Punto with similar weight can be as fast as Swift Diesel, what's wrong with the version we get here? The only mechanical component we can blame is the cheaper cut cost gearbox from Palio.

Since the launch, they have declared improved versions with better interiors every few months, so many updates later still the fit and finish is poor. Too little, too late.
Old 20th January 2012, 09:07   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relativity View Post
I am in the market for a Fiat and have been reading a lot about the safety. I will still go ahead with a Punto but this car in my office parking got me thinking today, what could have done this to a Linea?
Someone rammed from rear,not a small car though I think as bonnet has taken more hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drscaria View Post
I'm getting a mileage of about 22.3kmpl from my Fiat Linea Emotion Pk 1.3 Diesal of July 2011 in Kerala (mind the good hilly potholes containing the roads of kerala; the 6 months of rain; A/c which is always on). And yes, i have travelled about over 20000kms already. Only thing i'd desired was more ground clearance which comes in the new ones and makes me envious.
I thought I read that you can do the same changes to older cars too and that Fiat would do the necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Took a good look at the new Linea and

What is simply out of place is the new raised suspension. This solution may work only for Bangalore owners as we are the only ones to deal with innumerable and varied speed humps. It makes the car looks like it is on stilts. There is a disconnet of the wheels from the body and the gap between the tire and wheel arch is huge.

No 2012 T Jets coming out atleast for now. KHT motors are still receiving 2011 T Jet's from the plant. They already have 4 unsold units sitting in the
stock yard.
I saw one last day and it look ok to me; it was at a showroom, I was overtaking it ( I was riding). Forget the looks; question is does it help ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I felt good when i read Fiat had upped the Power in Linea MJD to 93hp,
Emm, someone should swap the gearbox of swift/Punto and try to know that.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks