Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 05:52   #766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmahendra
I am so upset with the absence of USB and Aux on the Music System in Punto Dynamic that I have almost decided to replace the unit with an LCD unit. I am not familiar with 1, 1.5 or 2 DIN systems.

All I want to know is
1) Which of these will fit perfectly in the slot without doing any modification to the console?
2) Do I have a choice of brands?
3) I do not want the one which pops out because I was told that it covers the AC vent whenever it is functional.

Sorry guys I have no idea about these music systems and my questions may sound stupid.
The Punto/ Linea centre console CANNOT incorporate a 2-DIN system. You can only go for a single DIN head unit, but for the price of a double DIN, you'll get can get a pretty good one. Also, speaker upgrade is mandatory if you're planning to listen to anything other than the radio. All four doors have slots for component speakers, so you could get two nice pairs. But try not to get the wiring altered.
one-77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:34   #767
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
The Punto/ Linea centre console CANNOT incorporate a 2-DIN system. You can only go for a single DIN head unit, but for the price of a double DIN, you'll get can get a pretty good one. Also, speaker upgrade is mandatory if you're planning to listen to anything other than the radio. All four doors have slots for component speakers, so you could get two nice pairs. But try not to get the wiring altered.
You can go for Parrot RKi8400 Bluetooth Car Stereo or Parrot ASTEROID which is a seamless single din music system with an integrated LCD with GPS as it runs on Android. You can buy it on Amazon for around US$500.
vivekshukla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:21   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Linea Ground Clearance Kit – INR 10899.60
Punto Petrol Ground Clearance Kit – INR 11900.30
Punto Diesel Ground Clearance Kit – INR 10899.60

The above is the cost of the parts kit reqd to do the modification for ground clearance. Labour charges will be in addition to the parts cost. Any other misc cost, may also be applicable in addition to the above costs if reqd.
The labour cost will be somewhere around ~ Rs.1400 - Rs.1800 (roughly 4-5 hours job @ 350/hour) - source : Service Manager, one of the TATA-FIAT dealerships in Noida.
forbhaskarm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 21:04   #769
BHPian

Guys, for those who think that Fiat has increased the price - Yes, but you get a lot more for the extra you pay.

Consider this -

My friend bought his Punto Active(MJD) on Aug '11 for 5.85Lakhs. Today I paid Rs.6.20Lakhs for my Punto Active MJD, and following are the things that comes extra.

1. Central Locking
2. OEM Music System (though crap, it still is a worthy addition)
3. Higher GC (Fiat has quoted `12k for this alone)
4. Turning radius of 5m (pretty awesome this one!)
5. A lot better Air Conditioner Unit
6. Improved NVH
7. With new shade of interior plastics coming in, I expect the quality to be better

35k for all this. Cool, isn't it?

I was offered Figo Base Diesel(that doesn't have passenger ORVM, wheel caps, central locking, engine immobilizer, engine sump gaurd, etc, etc,.) for 5.65L. I was lured. But then realized Punto offers all these and much much more for just extra 55k bucks...

Ownership report for my 2nd Punto baby is coming soon...

Last edited by CliffHanger : 2nd February 2012 at 21:18.
CliffHanger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 21:18   #770
BHPian

Seems Fiat has taken Tata's Vista seriously and is offering Music system on all variants which I suppose is a prudent step.

Top end Vista ZX priced at 6.2 L and Now Top end Punto Emotion @ 6.85 which comes with Auto climate, 280 liter boot space, 185mm GC, 5m turning radius, better handling, better looks/ style and improved quality fit and finish.

With additional features Hope 2012 Punto has less chances of losing out to Tata Vista in cross shopping as they are sold at Tata show rooms
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:39   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
4. Turning radius of 5m (pretty awesome this one!)
Please tell more about this. I saw the specs and was surprised to see the turning radius reduced from 5.4m (2011) to 5m (2012). Looks like a massive improvement on paper. What is your feel on this since you have both the models?
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:44   #772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmahendra View Post
I am so upset with the absence of USB and Aux on the Music System in Punto Dynamic that I have almost decided to replace the unit with an LCD unit. I am not familiar with 1, 1.5 or 2 DIN systems.

Sorry guys I have no idea about these music systems and my questions may sound stupid.
You are not alone in this, I find it hard to believe that in this day and age Fiat would offer an HU that does not support AUX-IN or iPod control.

I've searched quite a bit on team fiat and here as well but no avail. The only option is to dump the OE HU and go in for a single DIN after market HU along with components up front and co-axials at the rear. Of course that means better sound but also will have to sacrifice the steering mounted controls which I am ready to.

Now searching for a VFM HU around 8K INR.
Old 2nd February 2012, 23:00   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry

You are not alone in this, I find it hard to believe that in this day and age Fiat would offer an HU that does not support AUX-IN or iPod control.
Not a worthwhile move to lose the steering controls. For iPod, there's a fiat iPod adapter available in the European markets. Fiat quotes 76 pounds for it, but it can be found for much cheaper in eBay.

It is ridiculous why they don't give it with the car in the first place, or better speakers instead of the crappy ones. Just like apple giving a brilliant instrument with tinny and ugly earphones.
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 23:34   #774
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
..Of course that means better sound but also will have to sacrifice the steering mounted controls which I am ready to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
Not a worthwhile move to lose the steering controls...
For making the aftermarket HU compatible with the steering controls, you can buy some IR device [or get it with some systems]. Any good aftermarket shop guy should be able to source these or let you know which systems come with this or where can you source them. I guess this stuff cost less than 2K [not sure]. Am sure there are some installs in our ICE section which has the pic of the IR sensor / device.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:00   #775
BHPian

Quote:

I've searched quite a bit on team fiat and here as well but no avail. The only option is to dump the OE HU and go in for a single DIN after market HU along with components up front and co-axials at the rear. Of course that means better sound but also will have to sacrifice the steering mounted controls which I am ready to.

Now searching for a VFM HU around 8K INR.
I am in the same page like you, Kindly let me know your suggestions below queries.

1. If we change all the four speakers ? will it give better sound output with the same default head unit ?
2. If we change the Head unit , Any chances of warranty going for a toss?
3. If we change complete system including the HU and Speakers , what will be best buy back price I can expect ?

Help me to decide here.
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:00   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry
If you are having the steering mounted controls on your Punto then it will surely have Blue&Me which supports both USB and iPod control. I am able control my iPhone in my 2011 Punto EPack. The only missing thing is the Aux-in as you pointed out.
nkg77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:39   #777

Guys,

Sales guy at Prerana Motors told me that USB can be inserted on the music system by Blaupunkt showroom at Banerghatta Road and it would cost about 2K. They will be able to do the hardware as well as software changes without tempering wiring. I don't know how far this is true but if it is true, it's not a bad deal.
I mostly listen to oldies, classical music or ghazals so don't need really effective output but USB is a must coz it allows me to chose the music I want without burning cds.
Will keep you all posted.
getmahendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:02   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmahendra View Post
Guys,

Sales guy at Prerana Motors told me that USB can be inserted on the music system by Blaupunkt showroom at Banerghatta Road and it would cost about 2K. They will be able to do the hardware as well as software changes without tempering wiring. I don't know how far this is true but if it is true, it's not a bad deal.
I mostly listen to oldies, classical music or ghazals so don't need really effective output but USB is a must coz it allows me to chose the music I want without burning cds.
Will keep you all posted.
Thats nice...any location or name details of the Blaupunkt showroon in Banneghatta road
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:26   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
Not a worthwhile move to lose the steering controls. For iPod, there's a fiat iPod adapter available in the European markets. Fiat quotes 76 pounds for it, but it can be found for much cheaper in eBay.
Well, I'm not too fond on bluetooth thingy, but I would like to retain the HU controls (volume, mode, channel etc) on the my steering.
So its a price I'm willing to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
For making the aftermarket HU compatible with the steering controls, you can buy some IR device [or get it with some systems]. Any good aftermarket shop guy should be able to source these or let you know which systems come with this or where can you source them. I guess this stuff cost less than 2K [not sure]. Am sure there are some installs in our ICE section which has the pic of the IR sensor / device.
Yes, IIRC JVC 926BT has support for steering mounted controls. Will have to dig up some threads to know more about this.
Will visit some after market shops this weekend to know what my options are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I am in the same page like you, Kindly let me know your suggestions below queries.

1. If we change all the four speakers ? will it give better sound output with the same default head unit ?
2. If we change the Head unit , Any chances of warranty going for a toss?
3. If we change complete system including the HU and Speakers , what will be best buy back price I can expect ?
Mahendra,
1. Yes, it will surely give you a better sound output than the stock unit.
2. No, the warranty should not be affected as long as you don't cut/tamper with any wires.
3. Its best to try some after market shops in your area for this, but don't get your hopes up high as the fact that Fiat HU and speakers are not great is universally known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
If you are having the steering mounted controls on your Punto then it will surely have Blue&Me which supports both USB and iPod control. I am able control my iPhone in my 2011 Punto EPack. The only missing thing is the Aux-in as you pointed out.
If thats the case then it will save me a lot of money
I can survive without AUX-IN as long as I am able to navigate my playlist through the HU/steering mounted controls.

Cheers
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:44   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I'm not too fond on bluetooth thingy, but I would like to retain the HU controls (volume, mode, channel etc) on the my steering.
So its a price I'm willing to pay.

Yes, IIRC JVC 926BT has support for steering mounted controls. Will have to dig up some threads to know more about this.
Will visit some after market shops this weekend to know what my options are.

Mahendra,
1. Yes, it will surely give you a better sound output than the stock unit.
2. No, the warranty should not be affected as long as you don't cut/tamper with any wires.
3. Its best to try some after market shops in your area for this, but don't get your hopes up high as the fact that Fiat HU and speakers are not great is universally known.

If thats the case then it will save me a lot of money
I can survive without AUX-IN as long as I am able to navigate my playlist through the HU/steering mounted controls.

Cheers
You can also think of Scosche Digital FM Transmitter. I had bought this for around 2k for my WagonR and it used to work beautifully to play MP3 and other music without any interference. In Punto and Linea this will be very easy to use due to the location of cigarette lighter point. You won't even need to move your hand away to change music. There are several such inexpensive options available on ebay.

If you want to change the speakers, I would suggest you go for Hertz deici 6 inches for all four doors. With a little modification they fit perfectly. Alternatively you can go for 5-1/2 also on all 4 doors. My friend has 6 inches in his Punto in Delhi. I guess he got sound deadening plus speakers for around 7.5k. I just changed the speakers for 5.5k in my Linea.

I had earlier put JBL component system in my Linea but I was not happy with them. Later I changed them to Hertz and they sound very good, clear with crisp notes.
vivekshukla is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks