Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2011, 22:53   #1
BHPian

Driving classes and manual for drivers/riders

Hi all,

Many a times, while I drive through Bangalore traffic, felt the need to train the drivers/riders on keeping a friendly attitude than being aggressive. But in most cases, the drivers are not aware of the signs or symbols which is unfortunate. Wish, team-bhp will initiate a training seminar in Bangalore.

The most common irritants are,

1. Cars/bikes trying to sneak through narrow space while a car/truck who is reversing.
2. High beam in city (may be those driver do not know that there is a low beam option too)
3. No road lanes in most cases and some driving over them (if there is any visible line).
4. Walking next to the speed lane (may be they were once drivers?)
5. Tractors in opposite direction on speed lane (may be they misunderstood the speed lane to be a paddy field??)
:
:
Disclaimer: I do not intent to discredit anyone but wish to see everyone on the road enjoying a peaceful driving than a stressful driving.

Greets,
J
Old 9th December 2011, 11:34   #2
BANNED

Re: Driving classes and manual for drivers/riders

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 9th December 2011 at 15:14.
kk banerjee is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th December 2011, 13:16   #3
BHPian

There are a 100 things that you can add to the list of your 5 points. If there are seminars/training, then who do you think will attend them? Especially in cities like Bangalore, bike people and the people walking on the road will not have time to attend these seminars.
However I have a completely different view to your thoughts. I do not consider this as stressful driving. I just consider it as interesting. Driving in US might be peaceful driving to many people here, but I feel that is boring with nothing happening on the road. One might as well sleep off for 10 min while driving there in US.

My main concern with the traffic here is safety. Due to the irregularities in traffic mentioned by you, its the safety that is the main concern. But if one is not travelling at astonishing speeds, I feel roads here are pretty safe. Just make sure you drive at decent speeds (Say 80 to 100 kmph) on highways and just give way to those vehicles going at astonishing speeds, then the roads here are pretty safe.
Old 9th December 2011, 14:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Awesome thought joommen and kudos to you for highlighting your thoughts.

To be very frank, its not India that has the problem but the way we Indians deal with stuffs in here. Honestly, I couldn't agree more with himavanth_m that we can write a zillion other "Dont's" which drivers & pedestrians alike "Do" on our roads.

There is a reason for my above statement. When I was in Singapore on a business tour, I was with my cousin who was probably the best driver in town or atleast behaved like one. It was a drastic style of driving compared to a hopeless manner he would when he was in Bangalore. Frankly joommen, he did all of those which you have pointed out.
Soon I learnt that the reason he was so well behaved in Singapore was directly related to the Fines imposed by lawmen there. He told me that he had to caugh up equivalent to 10-14k INR if he even littered the streets in Singapore.

Bottom line guys, People here are so reckless and careless because the system here allows everybody the flexibilty to get away with,...just about Anything.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 9th December 2011 at 14:59.
Old 9th December 2011, 15:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

[quote=joommen;2604106
2. High beam in city (may be those driver do not know that there is a low beam option too)
[/QUOTE]

Once a car in high beam came across me near my house in a small road. I just stopped my car in the middle and walked towards the driver, requested him politely "Sir, can you please check if there a lever near your steering which people usually used to dim their lights"?

It was a funny incident and this gentleman realized that he was running on high beam and thanked me for reminding him this way. I was returning from Jaipur to Bangalore that day.
Old 9th December 2011, 15:44   #6
BHPian

Thanks Vik0728 and Himavanth for your support and comments.

I felt very comforted when the traffic police increased the fine (or such a proposal is on the table) for the offenders. But its actually the self discipline is the best suited which is least visible sometimes (I wish it will happen sooner than later). Western Europe which is known for good drivers will be put to shame if you drive in Italy, we have a better chance to win in those conditions. Similar scenes in China and Hongkong as well; so we are not the most naughtiest on the road (I wish to believe).
Old 9th December 2011, 16:02   #7
BHPian

Hi Coolclouds,

Its better to stay in your car and remind the other driver, especially at night. Especially since we try to train others as a friendly gesture, meant for their own safety too; but only a few understands.

Some of the drivers of the weaker gender (no discredit meant for the ladies) manifest their weakness by being least bothered about others (please don't try to count how many). But its like, who will bell the cat these days?
Old 9th December 2011, 19:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

After i started driving regularly for the past few months i have realized the horror that Indian road conditions are.

One thing that i cant never make head or tail of is on which lane should i drive?The fast lane or the slow lane?

1.My commute everyday involves long stretches of 4 lane road,and i can never understand why rucks,Tata Aces,taxis all slow moving traffic drive on the fast lane.

2.Now as i am approaching slow moving traffic on fast lane(this is strictly 4 lane mind you,so just 2 lane on either side),i would honk and obviously they wont budge,so i try to overtake from the wrong side.

3.As i come to the wrong side,i would some slow moving traffic here also!.Maybe a guy in a van or a 800 or Matatdor driving slowly.So overtake the truck then again cut back in the fast lane,and this process continues,zig zagging your way through.Even say i want to go slow today and keep to the slow lane,they are tons of people honking behind you those who are overtaking the trucks in the fast lane!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks