Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2011, 07:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Over 50% of Indian women feel unsafe on Indian roads

Delhi is ranked as the city in which women feel least comfortable traveling alone and where an overwhelming 97% of women feel safer with the use of a navigation device/app

Read the survey, and this is the line that caught my attention. Are the women feeling unsafe because they do not know the direction to the destination? I kind of think its actually much different.

They do not feel safe not because they do not know the way back home, rather they are not sure if the way they know (any way for that matter) is safe for them if they had to stop or if there was a car breakdown.

All in all, no one can dispute the data, but the interpretation (of that data and solution provided) is that i am not able to connect with. So in short i agree with @phamilyman, and it will be interesting to see the questions asked. As the solution suggested does not seem like connected to the problem in hand.

When my wife and daughter go alone on bangalore streets in the car, i know she knows the way back home and i am not worried with that aspect. What i am worried about is (1) A rash truck/big lorry driver banging the car and hurting someone. (2) If there is a breakdown would there be folks to help or take advantage.

Only 7% of the women surveyed viewed Mumbai as unsafe and this could be because a large majority of the women in Mumbai already use some form of navigation app

Edit - Another line from the same caught my attention. Perfect example of marketing gimmick. The line after "this could be" seems to be the writers view point and does not necessarily establish the rest 93% safe because of the navigation app.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 11th December 2011 at 07:41.
Old 11th December 2011, 09:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

As it is for all the problems thats facing our society, its the lack of fear of punishment that results in such behaviour. Be it on roads, offices or anything else.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 11:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

While I agree that these kind of surveys have a hidden agenda , from our personal experiences we know that the topic has increasing relevance as of today - in a way its true about men too while being absolutely true for women.
As I see it road rage is directly correlated to the increased hours of frustrated driving that one has to undergo nowadays due to inadequate and poor quality infrastructure (broken and clogged up roads) . When I hear arguements about compensation for damage when an incident happens , I also think its got a lot to do with ignorance about insurance laws , people take insurance in order to escape a fine if the police checks but most are fairly ignorant about option to claim it .
From my own experience gathered through spending considerable time in Bangalore/Chennai/Delhi / Mumbai and Kolkata and the feedback that I got from my wife and relatives my ranking of the cities on safety grounds would be ( from safe to less safe)
1. Mumbai - Safest of the lot, I would say the traffic is also more disciplined as compared to the rest . Though I can notice that the traffic character is changing, road rage is on the rise still I think people have a bit more patience. Best city to ask around for direction and safest for women.
2. Bangalore - Stayed for 5 years , never faced any significant problem . In case of road emergencies one is more likely to get assisted by fellow motorists here than in any other city. I have faced issues of aggressive behaviour from autos, including crude comments about how one should know Kannada language else leave the city, but somehow it never went out of control . One should though think twice before venturing out beyond 10 p.m. especially if one is a woman and does not know directions and is at the mercy of public transport (autos/buses). I used to think that the city is pretty safe but somehow have been forced to revise my opinion after a lady friend was attempted to be kidnapped by an auto guy post which locals mentioned that its not a surprising event. The fact that 2 wheelers cart around on the footpaths is absolutely ridiculous .
3. Chennai - Language still remains a big issue in the city and that's my biggest grouse . Most arguements , any police intervention is likely to turn against you whatever be the facts because of the language issue. Late night outs using public transport ( auto / buses) should be avoided by women especially if one does not know her way. I hate it that the city has these country liquor shops mushrooming all over the place - spending 5 min in front of any of them would give anyone a good picture on who are the main consumers of this package ( a pouch of country liquor + a pouch of water + a pouch of chana ) and help understand why late night trips should be avoided if one does not know her way and one has to use public transport
4. Kolkata - The city has a culture of lecherous eve teasers , loads of unemployed youth whose only activity throughout the day is to pass lewd comments about women . The city is unsafe for women , period (I am a bong with strong linkages to the city and regular visits so I know what I am talking about , just in case someone becomes over sensitive ). Eve teasing is rampant and that does not wait for any specific hours of the day. The city is a bit curious - if one can avoid the rotten eve teasers, an average person on the street is likely to be more than happy to give you detailed direction and often may walk with you till the destination so that way the city is amazing
5. Delhi - Aggression is very much a part of the culture , road rage is at a different level there . Further, while the other cities are more or less safe if a woman knows her way in the city and uses her own mode of transport , in Delhi that's also not safe during the evening . I have heard this from so many people who have been staying there for ages that I have to believe it .
Old 11th December 2011, 23:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
And I disagree with you. There are areas in town where women are bullied or followed or generally troubled(eg bikers flashing their lights repeatedly). May not be happening much where you live.

I think this survey was from a point of stalking and eve-teasing, rather than road-rage angle. I am sure far less than 50% of men would be worried about these things
Tanveer, how will GPS help women from getting bullied, followed/stalked or teased ?

And bikers flashing their lights repeatedly is called ....?
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 23:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

I can speak about Delhi:

My sister regularly drives home from work AFTER 10.00 PM from Central to South-East Delhi. According to her, she's not worried about anything but "mad people driving SUVs and at crazy speeds around Lutyens' Delhi roundabouts". This fear is valid for even men.

That said, she follows all the basic precautions: not stopping for anyone, windows shut, doors autolocked etc etc.

Things are, of course, different when you are in UP, Haryana. NH24 and Ghaziabad traffic is totally crazy!

Another thing. I totally disagree that "posh" localities are safer for women. A girl can walk alone in Delhi in a locality like Atta in Noida, Kotla or Gautam Nagar at midnight (basically urban villages) but she'd rather not try doing that in Nehru Place or Greater Kailash at that time. Sometimes, our modern planning does more damage than good, socially!
architect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 11:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Sorry state of affairs, this. Road safety has been a matter of discussion for time immemorial now, but nothing concrete has been done.

Road rage has been on the rise for quite a while now. Even in a city like Pune, which till a few years ago, was peace loving and mainly minded its own business, has gone vulgar and road rage prone all of a sudden.

I agree that posh localities have nothing to do with this. Anyone residing around Koregaon Park in Pune, would know what I mean.
Old 12th December 2011, 12:30   #37
BHPian

Ah! I can write a whole essay or a story or a book on this one.

But keeping both sides in mind, my observations are :

- Venturing out alone anywhere at night is dangerous for anyone.
- During day time, men might stare, overtake dangerously or race a woman driver, at night, the behaviour becomes more aggressive
- Not all men on the road are good and also neither all men on the road are bad (I have been helped by men on 4 different occassions very late in the night - so decent people do exist)
- Women at times behave very nastily on the road in terms of driving manners which can start problems (this is not an off-hand statement please, I have seen women too over-reacting at times)
- Delhi is no more safe nor any less safe than any other places. Maybe commute for women is longer in Delhi, so the matter got highlighted here

Quoting one incident :

At a desolate stretch of road, I once ran out of fuel in my Ikon on a cold foggy night at round 10.00 pm (this is 2004). Till my husband could reach me with fuel, a gentleman surprisingly helped me - he waited with me while he sent his driver to get 5 Liters of petrol for me (while I shivered with fear) from a pump 12 kms. away. Got the car started, did not accept any money for the fuel, trailed my car till the nearest turn towards my home and left with the message to be careful in future. Till date I bless the gentleman for his help.

I often ask myself : what if this guy had turned out to be a creep. I had in my possession a car, a laptop with important company data, a fairly expensive mobile phone, some jewelry on my person, cash in my bag and above all my personal safety was at stake. What if...?

There have been good and bad experiences on Delhi roads, but till date, the good experiences have outnumbered the bad ones. But that may be purely a matter of chance.

My advice to women drivers :

- Keep your car well fueled
- Keep your mobile charged
- Follow proper road manners
- Don't flash expensive gizmos in the car for all to see
- Don't attract unwanted attention by adjusting your clothing and makeup in the car
- Keep central locking on and avoid making eye contact with strangers on the road
- Ignore flashing of lights (unless you are a T-BHPian)
- Remember, in case of any problem, a GPS will NOT help you. Your presence of mind and common sense will.

My advice to men drivers :

- A woman driver is as good or as bad as men drivers
- Don't race, overtake, scare women on the road un-necessarily
- A woman driving alone at night maybe returning home after a hard day's work at the office. Don't harass her.

Last edited by Sugeeta : 12th December 2011 at 12:48.
Sugeeta is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 13:11   #38
BHPian

Sugeeta, well written, especially the last part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
- Follow proper road manners
- Don't flash expensive gizmos in the car for all to see
- Don't attract unwanted attention by adjusting your clothing and makeup in the car
- Keep central locking on and avoid making eye contact with strangers on the road
- Remember, in case of any problem, a GPS will NOT help you. Your presence of mind and common sense will.

My advice to men drivers :
- A woman driver is as good or as bad as men drivers
- Don't race, overtake, scare women on the road un-necessarily
- A woman driving alone at night maybe returning home after a hard day's work at the office. Don't harass her.
Very valid points. My wife drives to work and in Bangalore also, there are people who try to bully you if they see that a woman is driving the car. What I've told her is the same, keep your cool and don't let the adrenalin level go up. First thing you do once you get into the car is to lock the doors, everything else after that, especially in the parking lots of malls and the like. You can avoid many of the problem situations if you are a little bit more careful. (These applies to women as well as men)
Old 12th December 2011, 13:36   #39
BHPian

You are cent percent correct on your observation about Calcutta. Especially, travelling by overcrowded buses is a pathetic experience by the women folks. And yes, your last bit is also correct; this city is so much full of paradoxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
4. Kolkata - The city has a culture of lecherous eve teasers , loads of unemployed youth whose only activity throughout the day is to pass lewd comments about women . The city is unsafe for women , period (I am a bong with strong linkages to the city and regular visits so I know what I am talking about , just in case someone becomes over sensitive ). Eve teasing is rampant and that does not wait for any specific hours of the day. The city is a bit curious - if one can avoid the rotten eve teasers, an average person on the street is likely to be more than happy to give you detailed direction and often may walk with you till the destination so that way the city is amazing
Old 12th December 2011, 13:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

I can vouch that amongst the 50%, my wife is one. She says she feels very vunerable to rash driving maniacs even during the broad daylight if she wants to use the Activa to run errands or to pick up my son from school.

Having said that I have seen women drivers too exercise their impatience esp at the signals.
Old 12th December 2011, 13:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Bangalore was safe once upon a time but any more.
We usually do not venture out on streets (alone or both) after 10 (or maybe 11) in the night except when returning from movie (night show) or dropping someone at the Yashwantpur railway station (@ 11 in the night).

In all these times we have seen decent amount of Police patrolling the streets, checking for drunken driving cases and standing next to the barricades, especially on the main roads.

So we have not seen any problems at night, but in day time have witnessed road rage and fights. So which one was primarily on your mind with respect to degradation of safety in Bangalore?

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 12th December 2011 at 13:50.
Old 12th December 2011, 13:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Not all men on the road are good and also neither all men on the road are bad (I have been helped by men on 4 different occassions very late in the night - so decent people do exist)

Till date I bless the gentleman for his help.
Reminds of the first day my sister ventured out driving herself with her driver sitting alongside.

An Israeli biker took a wrong turn at Gole Market and hit her front bumper with his 600cc Yamaha bike. He started acting 'chauda' and threatened my sister with 'diplomatic action' for 'homicidal driving'. My sister, who normally never gets un-nerved by these things (she's a Special Political Correspondent in a leading newspaper) got worried because she thought it was her driving (first day, after all). The interesting thing is that it was his fault and he wasn't even injured!

At that point, an ex-army gentleman stepped out of his car and gave the Israeli biker a 2-minute dose with the most carefully selected words. That guy just drove away.

Quote:
Just two more important one:
a. Please drive carefully and use a little less of the mobile and more of the mirrors. I see a lot of women drivers and I find that more women drivers are talking on the phone (percentage-wise) than men, especially the regularly commuting sorts.
b. I also notice a whole lot of women on two-wheelers, especially in Noida / Ghaziabad without helmets, crawling at 20 kph on the right lane of NH24.

Quote:
- Women at times behave very nastily on the road in terms of driving manners which can start problems (this is not an off-hand statement please, I have seen women too over-reacting at times)
They do, and that's more so because of the behaviour they get from men all the time. One needs to give respect to get respect.

Last edited by architect : 12th December 2011 at 14:00.
Old 12th December 2011, 14:17   #43
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The survey results may be used for purpose of selling SatNav devices but that does not take away from the results themselves.

Though being a guy from Bombay most would not take me to be neutral, but most other views/perceptions (and possibly previous surveys) till date too have always considered that Bombay is among the safest places (except perhaps A'Bad, Surat, Vadodara - navaratri culture places with very high intolerence to eve teasing). Delhi has always been perceived to be relatively much more unsafe for women.

So if a survey result had stated something different from normal perceptions over the year we should have had cause for concern to recheck the results, but in this scenario why are we so conserned about the results. The % of users having satnav devices in their cars in both or rather all four cities is quite low, so why are we considering that aspect to negate the results?

It is odd but while no amount of debate on this forum will make a city better or worse for women (on road in a vehicle or otherwise) we need not negate survey findings (especially as they have been stated without mention of the marketing aspects out here to us).

Infact if we disagree with the results it would possibly make more sense to look for other survey results that claim the contrary and post those here then to debate about the authencity of these. Even in this survey there are a % of women who feel unsafe in Bombay and a % of women who feel safe in Delhi. Similarly there would be a % of men among us who feel differently that the survey results, but none of that can take away from the results themselves.
Old 12th December 2011, 14:58   #44
BHPian

I don't understand this about many men drivers. They will drive leisurely with most of other vehicles over-taking them. But moment a vehicle with a lady driver overtakes him, he will suddenly jolt into action to race. What is so big deal if women driver overtakes your car?

But lately I am also seeing many girls driving really fast. They think this goes very well with their image. True, but they need to understand the risk also.
Old 12th December 2011, 15:21   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
In all these times we have seen decent amount of Police patrolling the streets, checking for drunken driving cases and standing next to the barricades, especially on the main roads.
You're talking about main thoroughfares. Police patrolling never happens on lanes and bylanes unless there's specific issue. Police know exactly where to stand checking for drunken driving.
Quote:
So which one was primarily on your mind with respect to degradation of safety in Bangalore?
I'm in Bangalore for last 20 years and don't remember seeing rape/murder/snatching news everyday till few years ago. Your area and my area may not be affected with these problems but they're not the whole of Bangalore anyway.

Let me ask you a question here. Would you allow any of your female family member to travel all alone after 10 these days?
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks