Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2011, 15:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Over 50% of Indian women feel unsafe on Indian roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I'm in Bangalore for last 20 years and don't remember seeing rape/murder/snatching news everyday till few years ago. Your area and my area may not be affected with these problems but they're not the whole of Bangalore anyway.
Thats exactly the reason i asked you , as you have been living here for three times the number of years i have been. Although in the last 7 years that i have been here i do see slight degradation overall but much more on road rage incidents then late night brawls.

Quote:
Let me ask you a question here. Would you allow any of your female family member to travel all alone after 10 these days?
Ahh, that i would't do even in my hometown (in fact wouldn't do anywhere in India or abroad)
Old 12th December 2011, 16:02   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Remember, in case of any problem, a GPS will NOT help you. Your presence of mind and common sense will.
There are two things that I take from this survey. One of them is this note from Sugeeta.
The other is that we could be in either 50%. It is for us to decide which 50% category we fall in at that moment. Most of the times, it will be dependent on the city/ locality/ timing/ type of vehicle/ our stress individual level. It is our responsibility to know what state (condition) we are in and to deal with it accordingly.
I dont see how a GPS unit will help anyone deal with the lack of safety. A mobile phone probably would help.

Quote:
Let me ask you a question here. Would you allow any of your female family member to travel all alone after 10 these days?
No sir. And even if we have to, we are usually awake waiting for updates/ confirmation as far as possible.
Just the other day, a couple of friends (ladies) took a cab from Mumbai airport to Pune. They reached around 1am, but I had asked them to text me with regular updates. All said and done that taxi guy was rude to them while dropping them off. Now if the same thing happened during the day when people are around, it would have a different connotation. But at that time of the night, these two got intimidated and just focussed on reaching home safely. After all discretion is the better part isnt it?

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th December 2011 at 16:05.
Old 12th December 2011, 16:23   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Was bangalore included ? With psycho's like this guy out on roads, even i feel unsafe!

As expected, Delhi feels the most unsafe, but its interesting to note that Mumbai feels safer than Chennai. I somehow always felt chennai was safer.

+1. Let alone women, even I feel unsafe at times. Recently, police car driver (with no occupant) hurled abuses at me because I was taking a perfectly legitimate turn, but didn't let him pass first. He came out of the car, blocked the entire traffic, tried to open my locked doors, and finally when unsuccessful, spat on my windscreen to show his contempt! I sat in the car, a mute spectator and shell-shocked by this attitude!

Last edited by bblost : 12th December 2011 at 21:05. Reason: Removed the embedded video. Thanks.
Tats07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 17:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
+1. Let alone women, even I feel unsafe at times. Recently, police car driver (with no occupant) hurled abuses at me because I was taking a perfectly legitimate turn, but didn't let him pass first. He came out of the car, blocked the entire traffic, tried to open my locked doors, and finally when unsuccessful, spat on my windscreen to show his contempt! I sat in the car, a mute spectator and shell-shocked by this attitude!
I agree with you on the feeling unsafe part. there are just too many so called "low lifes" with unnecessary levels of road rage, ego and/ or jealousy.

Easier said than done, but it would have been great if you swiped the windscreen clean and splashed some water on him in the process. Seems silly to do that to a cop though. Only if he acted like one
Old 12th December 2011, 17:37   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive

I agree with you on the feeling unsafe part. there are just too many so called "low lifes" with unnecessary levels of road rage, ego and/ or jealousy.

Easier said than done, but it would have been great if you swiped the windscreen clean and splashed some water on him in the process. Seems silly to do that to a cop though. Only if he acted like one
And I did just that! No water was splashed on his face though, he was at bit of a distance. But then the act irritated him even more.

Well, is he a cop? Don't think so, police car drivers wear a uniform alright, but they can hardly be termed cops.

Last edited by Tats07 : 12th December 2011 at 17:38.
Tats07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 17:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

OT:

tats07,

Surprising to hear of such animal-like behavior displayed by our namma bengaluru cops. But its good you controlled your anger and exercised restraint. As much as your blood boils when being subjected to such experiences on the road, the trouble u'd have to face if you'd pissed off the police van driver is simply not worth it.

PS: Please post it on Facebook page of btp if you have the vehicle's number. I'm sure you won't get any reply, but will give this incident more exposure.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Banga...47207215344994
Old 12th December 2011, 22:58   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Tanveer, how will GPS help women from getting bullied, followed/stalked or teased ?

And bikers flashing their lights repeatedly is called ....?
I have no idea how will GPS help? Did I say anywhere that GPS will help?
As for bikers gesturing, and flashing lights, I don't know whether there exists a term for that?
Old 13th December 2011, 21:30   #53
Senior - BHPian

How will a gps help feel one safe? At least two ways that i can think of:
1. If you get lost you can rely on the gps to get you to a familiar area. It may not be the shortest way but it will get you there.
2. Most of the GPS devices can guide you to the nearest police station or hospital.

About the survey, i think the sample was not large and varied enough to make such a general statement. It reminded me of engineering days when we used to draw the curve first and then plot observations! Here it seems the surveyers stopped taking the survey the moment the ratio hit 50.99% (309 out of 606)

But in spite of that, its a fact that the law and order situation on the roads has gone to the dogs over the recent years for men as well as women. Sometimes being a female can actually work in your favour too. Still, its a scary world out there.
amitoj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 09:56   #54
Senior - BHPian

ok, Forget whatever i just said - this city has gone to the boondocks. Even radio cabs are no longer safe.

Radio cabbie rapes bartender, arrested - The Times of India
http://www.dailypioneer.com/city/276...-mehrauli.html - ignore the stupid title - there are no dancers in most pubs - just waitresses. Stupid pioneer.

Last edited by phamilyman : 14th December 2011 at 10:03.
Old 16th September 2013, 16:14   #55
BHPian

My Wife yesterday (11am ish) had a very disturbing encounter. She was the first car at a traffic light with no free left. After living in the US, UK, Singapore for over 2 decades she follows road rules to the "T". An auto driver kept beeping but she refused to move as the light was red. The guy came and started pounding on the window and yelling at her. Thankfully a bunch of bystanders came around and my wife rolled down the window and told them that it wasn't a free left and he wanted me to go. Words were exchanged and apparently one of the guys slapped the Auto driver and it broke into a full fledged fist fight with other auto guys joining in. Light turned green and my wife sped off.

Needless to say, she does not want to go out for a while (with or without me) and I don't blame her.
stumpz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 16:35   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpz View Post
My Wife yesterday (11am ish) had a very disturbing encounter. She was the first car at a traffic light with no free left. After living in the US, UK, Singapore for over 2 decades she follows road rules to the "T". An auto driver kept beeping but she refused to move as the light was red. The guy came and started pounding on the window and yelling at her. Thankfully a bunch of bystanders came around and my wife rolled down the window and told them that it wasn't a free left and he wanted me to go. Words were exchanged and apparently one of the guys slapped the Auto driver and it broke into a full fledged fist fight with other auto guys joining in. Light turned green and my wife sped off.

Needless to say, she does not want to go out for a while (with or without me) and I don't blame her.
Your wife did just the right thing.
Please ask her to call police and report the incident if someone repeats such Gulshan Grover antics on road.
Someone need to put sanity on roads in this City.
Old 24th May 2014, 20:32   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- According to a recently conducted NAVTEQ-TNS Survey, over 50% of Indian women feel unsafe on Indian roads.

- Delhi is ranked as the city in which women feel least comfortable traveling alone.

- Only 7% of the women surveyed viewed Mumbai as unsafe.

- Kolkata women feel safer than those in Delhi and Chennai.

- Chennai is viewed as being safer than Delhi, but not as safe as Mumbai.
100% Agreed, Just yesterday morning when I was about to leave from Mumbai me and my would be partner had a casual talk on how Delhi and Mumbai differ in terms of safety and security of women. Since her home town is in Mangalore, she believes that it is very safe for the women folk and has utmost respect for Mumbai as she has been living there for almost 2 decades and by god's grace nothing untoward has happened to her or her sister.

She has got really bad image of safety regarding Delhi women and felt it would be better if we move away from Delhi and settle in Mumbai. In Delhi, it sometimes gets unsafe for women travelling in Auto, Metro, Buses or even in cabs after a certain hour in the evening.

Since I have been frequenting Mumbai for last 3 years so I can vouch for the fact that women are at ease in that city. Be it 11 am or 11 pm women do feel safe there.

However, In my opinion the best way to provide safety in a city for our women is to have a well-cultured mindset.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks