Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2011, 19:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny DIESEL launched @ 7.98 Lakhs

They should have introduced XE variant in diesel too. Considering the difference of Rs.1.1 Lakh in petrol XE and XL, the diesel XE would come down to 6.88 Lakh making it very desirable. At 7.98 Lakhs, we start looking at other cars.
Old 12th December 2011, 19:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I guess they looked at a bit too premium rates after seeing the success of petrol Sunny. Did they forget that petrol has a good pricing? Would have been good if they had launched it with around 80K premium over petrol variant, and then increased the price by another 20-40K once the product proved successful. Isn't it better than launching with a higher price, then flop the product and bring in discounts which only spoils the brand / product name?

So you are comparing the diesel Sunny to the petrol City and claiming the price is more by a lakh ??
I anticipated such replies. I know it does not make logical sense, but it is just my personal way of looking at things. I would not be comfortable buying a car from a manufacturer whose reliability is not tested in India, whose service is a question mark as of now, whose dealer network is wafer thin, though it is a diesel unless it is priced substantially lower than the most reliable petrol sedan in this segment. You don't have to agree with my logic, this is just my personal way of judging. Given a choice between the two, I would consider (feel comfortable) going for the newbie only if the base version of the newbie is 9L in Bangalore, not more than that.
Old 12th December 2011, 19:48   #18
BHPian

According to ACI website, the difference between XL & XV, is that XV has alloys & electronically folding rear-view mirrors, which the former does not.

That,my friends is a premium of 80k for just 2 features.
Daylight Robbery, anybody ??!!!
Old 12th December 2011, 19:58   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

How tragic! This is one NICE car that has been completely killed by poor planning, substandard advertising and logic-defying pricing.

Why on earth would anyone BUY this car?
Old 12th December 2011, 20:08   #20
BHPian

I feel the sunny is DOA(dead on arrival!) priced too high for a Nissan! Nissan does not have the brand value for it to be priced high,should have learnt from ford mistake! Rapid and the Verna will out sell it. No more sunny days for Nissan i feel! lets see the sales figures for the next two months.
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 20:27   #21
BHPian

The price is indeed on the higher side if you consider the fact that the powerplant is not exactly state of the art. However, the Sunny is a very capable car and interiors are really attractive in the top end and the mid range variant. The chrome instrument cluster, rear blower, and chrome bits on the doors do give it a premium feel. Even the rear seat space is more than many in the segment. Add to that the huge boot and you have a car that's more practical than many higher priced sedans.
This maybe a new product in India, but it has been internationally proven and I'm sure many people would have a good reason to pay a bit more for a reliable, spacious and attractive sedan.
The Vento maybe in a similar price range, but the Nissan has better chance to make its mark with its less conservative design.
Old 12th December 2011, 20:31   #22
BHPian

Oh my goodness!! What were the guys at Nissan thinking?? The sunny diesel is definitely overpriced by around 70k IMO. That too offering only 85bhp and the same engine as in the Verito & Micra. Maybe Nissan wants to position themselves as a sort of premium brand in India and hence this high price. Heck, I would even buy the Manza and put up with the after sales issues rather than spend so much on the sunny.
Old 12th December 2011, 20:45   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
According to ACI website, the difference between XL & XV, is that XV has alloys & electronically folding rear-view mirrors, which the former does not.
Add to it, the push button start & some very small features like front fog lamps, chrome bits, b pillar black out, console etc.
Old 12th December 2011, 21:45   #24
BHPian

Had the price been lower by about 50k the car would have been a big hit. Imagine a diesel Sunny at the price of a diesel Manza and add to it the good quality and reliablity of Nissan and the rear seat comfort and its the best entry level diesel sedan one could buy.

I had almost decided to buy its base variant diesel version after reading that it will be launched around 6.6 lacs. I had planned it for my grand parents who are rear seat passengers and shauffer driven. But may be Nissan has not come with the base variant to avoid the taxi market. Shall wait for the base variant or price correction or discounts.
Old 12th December 2011, 21:46   #25
BHPian

I see around 20 posts and most of them say the same thing, just about not verbatim.
Looking at other cars in the market, I see the average difference between a petrol and diesel cars to be around 80K to 1.2 lakh - I am talking about a comparison between similar make/model and variant. I think Nissan would have definitely considered before pricing the car. Considering that an unstated standard, and If the petrol car is priced well, how can one say that diesel is overpriced?

I think the initial rumors have left many disappointed. Nevertheless, it looks like a knee-jerk reaction and I am sure the diesel sunny will add to the already decent sunny sales numbers.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 22:28   #26
BHPian

I think Nissan has got the price about right. Why? Because now they can offer a discount on the price !!! Actually, agree with the assessment that the price should have been 50K lower.
Old 12th December 2011, 23:57   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

This is way off the earlier 6.6L estimates!
Heck, it is nearly 1.5L over the base Etios Diesel, which IMO is its direct competitor!
The Etios G(D) is around 6.5-6.6L Ex-showroom Mumbai. Heck, the Vento TL is around the same price for a better engine, ride/handling package, interiors, and what not!!
Old 13th December 2011, 00:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay
They should have introduced XE variant in diesel too. Considering the difference of Rs.1.1 Lakh in petrol XE and XL, the diesel XE would come down to 6.88 Lakh making it very desirable. At 7.98 Lakhs, we start looking at other cars.
Totally agree with you sir.
Had the starting price for diesel sunny been around 6.8 then they would be competing with dzire and the likes. But now with starting price of 8 lac, and being too close to verna and vento, the anaemic power and lack of refinement of the engine is definitely going to draw buyers away.
Old 13th December 2011, 00:21   #29
BHPian

I just find this pricing strategy little weird. IMHO the Petrol version is competing with the Etios and ilk while the Diesel is competing with Verna/Vento!

Nissan, could you come up with a why campaign? I'm sure there is more to the CAAAAR. Is Nissan trying to make the most when the market is inundated with Diesel car buyers OR is it loosing money on the Petrol variant?
Old 13th December 2011, 00:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

I think the initial hype (6.6L) has caused this disappointment.
Suddenly the Fiesta Classic diesel top end looks so expensive (compared to Sunny XL).
Good to see Nissan giving all safety features (except fogs) on the lower trim as well.

If there are discounts later, then that is a good thing for buyers. The car is targeted at those who want to be driven around and I think the engine will serve the purpose well. The specs indicate this one is lighter than the Fiesta classic, so it should be a good mile cruncher. However only time will tell.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks