Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 04:21   #31
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny DIESEL launched @ 7.98 Lakhs

While personally I would prefer a more powerful engine, I think the base diesel version is a good deal. It would be nearly Rs 1.6 lakh (on-road) cheaper than top end diesel Skoda Rapid but with all the necessary safety features. Now only if Nissan had a better dealer network to take away service headaches as well.
Old 13th December 2011, 08:37   #32
Team-BHP Support

I think the biggest deterrent (for Sunny Diesel) is the pricing of the petrol sibling. I guess the shock pricing of the Petrol variants brought in huge expectations on the diesel pricing. IMHO, the difference is not much if compared to some of the immediate competitors - say the SX4 diesel.
Old 13th December 2011, 09:14   #33
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jods View Post
While personally I would prefer a more powerful engine, I think the base diesel version is a good deal. It would be nearly Rs 1.6 lakh (on-road) cheaper than top end diesel Skoda Rapid but with all the necessary safety features. Now only if Nissan had a better dealer network to take away service headaches as well.
With 85 BHP power, is Sunny Diesel rally a competitor to the likes of Rapid, Vento, Verna?

I would slate it one segment lower and compare it with Dzire, Etios, Verito.
Old 13th December 2011, 10:28   #34
GSM
BHPian

I find it rather amusing that people expect a premium of just 60000 for the Sunny Diesel over its petrol sibling. Come on guys! Be reasonable. Look at the sky rocketing petrol costs. The running cost per km on Petrol Vehicles are almost 2.5 times the diesel running cost. And this will only get worser with ever increasing dollar rates and petrol prices.

If you were to price at just a premium of 40k or 60k, Nissan, for that matter any manufacturer, can as well shut their Petrol Engine Production Line, and manufacture only diesel versions. Having said that, I do anticipate some discounts on Diesel version over a period of time.

And why should one classify Sunny one segment lower and compare it with Dzire, Etios and Verito? Merely because of Engine BHP? That would mean Corolla be classified along with Manza and Sunny. Merely because Verna has some 126 bhp, it should be classified above Corolla and Vento. How many of us actually use that peak power? I believe what matters is not what is the peak power, but the usable power.

I belive the universal rule for classification has been the length of the car, rather than Engine power. Do correct me if I am wrong.

As to the service station stuff, as long as the car is reliable and running without any issues and niggles, one need not really bother about having just one or two service station in a place. Every company these days are moving towards just one service per annum. And for that one visit, I guess one / two service station is adequate.

Cheers
GSM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 10:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Nissan can price it as it wants just because it is running on a sure-shot successful engine. They are targeting a different market, definitely not the hard core enthusiast. But they forgot that it is only the enthusiast who do not care about the service centers much, they can lay their own terms even with the one service center present, they are capable of making the SA do things they want, they do not care much on the warranty and so on. But, the targeted buyers by Nissan surely gives a higher value to the number and quality of after sales service.

I have a proper Nissan service center only 70 kms away.

^^Classification may be on length, but pricing should be on the market conditions and the value one provide, or else it becomes stale fast.
Old 13th December 2011, 11:01   #36
BHPian

This car is meant for someone to be driven around, most of the common junta dont bother about what's inside the hood. This will be a hit in the taxi segment just like how Logan/Verito was.
Old 13th December 2011, 11:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Renault Duster coming in 2 engine variants. One is the similar 85bhp version which does 0-100 in 13.9s, and a 110 bhp tune which can do a 0-100 in 11.8 seconds.

Dacia Duster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (link thanks to D4d-maniac in Duster page)

Since Sunny gets the first engine, i am guessing it will be a matter of time before they also make the second engine available. Sunny should be able to shave off at least 1 second to the ton for both engines due to lower kerb weight.

Sunny should be able to compete with the Ventos and rapid's head to head with the 110bhp tune. But more importantly Nissan is hoping to gain some market with a cheaper priced engine, which might give higher FE and one which is definitely no slouch.

The car may be a little pricier than we wanted, but not by much, and it is a spacious, well built, quality car which definitely is above Dzire category.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 13th December 2011 at 11:15.
SkyWalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 11:20   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

1. I havent seen one petrol Sunny on road so far here. Any hopes of the diesel variant changing that status is definitely dimmed with its pricing.

2. The regular car buying populace- at whom this is solely aimed at, will perceive this as simply a more expensive Dzire. Not sure how that will necessarily translate into a value-proposition.

3. Judging from the 70 kg increased weight over its petrol counterpart while being offered with the same wheel/tyre profile, I would guess that this car is high on understeer, and therefore not to be driven any other way but sedately.

Last edited by theMAG : 13th December 2011 at 11:22.
Old 13th December 2011, 11:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Absolute shocker!

To say that the diesel variant is overpriced, will a gross understatement. While most people think that it is overpriced by 50k, I think it is at least overpriced by 1 lakh.

Somebody needs to put some sense into Nissan-Renault strategists. They obviously know nothing about the market. First the Fluence was launched at 12.99 (overpriced by 1 lakh), then Koleos (overpriced by2-3 lakhs) and then this now.

Just to put things in perspective, Skoda Rapid starts at 7.95 lakhs and is cheaper than this car
Old 13th December 2011, 12:44   #40
BHPian

Nissan has lost a rare opportunity to cash in to the market here. This kind of pricing also raises questions on them launching the duster at an attractive prices. Nissan - I am disappointed, was looking eagerly to a killer price - which now might end up killing the Sunny instead of competition!
Old 13th December 2011, 13:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

I think a lot of folks are going overboard with the whole pricing aspect. Lets just analyze a little bit.
The Fiesta classic Diesel CLXI costs about 8.6 lakhs OTR bangalore and it has just power windows and power steering, and I'm not sure but an audio system as well. The version with the ABS and airbags is atleast 80k higher than this, which means an OTR of about 9.3 or 9.4 lakhs. So if the nissan sunny with ABS and air bags costs about 9.5 lakhs, then how is it over priced?
I dont think the sunny can be compared with the dzire simply because it is one segment higher. And in terms of quality, overall fit and finish it is a surely a notch higher than the etios and manza as well.
What nissan has to do is launch lower variants like how they have done with the micra petrol. Keep one driver airbag, 4 power windows, remote locking and price it around 50k lesser and I'm sure there will be many takers.
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 13:54   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I think a lot of folks are going overboard with the whole pricing aspect...
What nissan has to do is launch lower variants...
+1

Pricing isn't too bad. The main issue is the lack of base variant. For a car, generally perceived as a good chauffeur-driven car, a base variant sans the safety frills would have made a lot of sense.
Old 13th December 2011, 14:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

I seem to be going against popular opinion here, but think the pricing is not too bad. The Sunny is a very good looking car, with a lot of space, and a proven brand world wide. Based on the drivability of the retuned engine, I might have considered buying it at this price, had I been looking for a new car.

I do feel that the car will find enough takers at this price, but I guess only Time will tell.
Old 13th December 2011, 14:11   #44
Senior - BHPian

Firstly the variants by itself seems to be well specked and would offer much more than some of the entry level sedans. The engine is on par with its competitors in terms of power and fabulous mileage figures and has been proven for quite some time now in its various avataars in Logan and Micra. Just check with any of those highly used Logan cabs and you will know its reliability.

The only fly in the ointment as pointed out by many is the premium pricing which might have been created to deter the cab populace from jumping into the booking line but in the same process may keep out a lot of individuals as well. The only way we may see more Sunny days on our road is with a lower spec variant at a reduced price or with decent discounts. Also they can refuse registration of yellow boards on the lower variant once introduced keeping out the taxi crowd.

All in all they not only have the CAAAAR but at a big PRRIIICCEEE!
Old 13th December 2011, 14:16   #45
BHPian

I guess Nissan have become a bit too confident with their small success they have had with the petrol sunny .

When the petrol sunny competes with the likes of the petrol dezire then how can its diesel counterpart compete with the competetion from a segment above !!

I hope they start giving a nice chuck of discount from the start and also launch the base variant of the diesel sunny .

Let's hope sunny also follows the footsteps of the new fiesta before it is too late !

Last edited by Enigmatic : 13th December 2011 at 14:17.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed