Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Should Team-BHP members be role models for other motorists?
Yes, members can not/ should not lower the reputation of Team-BHP 23 50.00%
No, what members do with their vehicles/driving should not / cannot be the concern of Team-BHP 20 43.48%
Can't Say 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 22:31   #1
BHPian

TBHP: A sticker that stands for "responsible driving"

BHPians,

I agree that we are all proud to be a part of this huge forum known as TEAM-BHP. We carry the spirit all the way from writing posts on this forum, to advising a fellow TBHPian, to meeting one another in groups once a while. What we tend to forget, and this is what I believe should be the most important while being a TBHPian, is that when we sport a TBHP sticker on our ride, we carry a message. A STRONG ONE!

I hope I've begun to get your grey cells to think along the lines of mine and I hope most of you will agree.

Agreed, the sub-title of our forum says, 'REDLINING THE INDIAN AUTOMOTIVE SCENE', but does that really have to mean that we REDLINE everywhere possible? I do not think so! Maybe one of the MODs can bring in some morales that TBHPians must commit. But, it's high time we listed out OUR PRINCIPLE or MOTTO or whatever you want to call it.

Some would be like:
1. ABIDE traffic rules
2. SIGNAL posts are not to bring 3 colours to the roads, but to be followed.
3. No ROAD rage.
4. NO DRINK n DRIVE.. C'mon, even schumi advises against it. ()
...etc.etc.

Almost like, when a cop sees a TBHP sticker on, he knows that he can't take you around for a ride cos he's darn sure that you're gonna be more RIGHT than HE IS.

WE are now a nation-wide community growing in large numbers by the day. We can bring in change by doing our bit on the road. Sporting a TBHP sticker means a lot more than being 'cool'. But, let me not go the extent of something like HELLS ANGELS!

Think about it!

PS - The reason I say this is because, on my way back from Whitefield towards Marathalli today, I saw a black swift driving rashly(took a right turn near the SHELL petrol bunk around 2pm), changing lanes every now and then without the indicator on, honking, almost had me jump into a pothole. And when he crosses by, I was SHOCCCKKKED to see TBHP stickers all around the car. I even managed to take a snap with my phone's camera. I initially thought I should post it here. And then thought otherwise.

Folks, Let's learn to COMMAND RESPECT. We are mature enough. Let's PEN down some principles for our forum. MODs, I hope you agree.
mempheS.D is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 22:47   #2
BHPian

Re: TBHP: A sticker that stands for "responsible driving"

i had a similar experience in nasik about a year back with a car donning a Team-BHP sticker. the car was parked in such a way that hardly one car could barely pass on the road and the owner was resting against the bonnet and chatting away with his friends, and looking rudely at the people who were finding it very difficult to pass between his car and the divider.

must say i felt very sad.
Old 13th December 2011, 22:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup I totally agree with your post above. We of all people should follow the basic etiquette while driving ( in a stickered car or otherwise). And I am sure members at large do follow that. The car you saw maybe belongs to a non bhpian who got the stickers from a friend or may be purchased them online from the store. I do feel that the stickers should be sold only to members and not to everyone. I know this is not a great suggestion since the sales must be generating the much needed revenue but somehow I feel that it also amounts to taking a huge risk. Incidents like the ones you stated above may bring bad name to the community.
Old 13th December 2011, 22:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

I agree with this idea of stickers not to be sold outside bhpians,but we cant stop it from giving it to friends &relatives.
In this age of constant media awareness,i shudder to think of an incident,when a tbhp stickered car is involved in a bad accident and the media latches onto it and paints a bad name of this forum.
avishar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 23:22   #5
BHPian

Very true.I agree to everything posted in this thread. My 2 cents are as below:

I was a recipient of road rage by a car donning TBHP stickers. I happened to catch hold of the guy and when I spoke to him he was very "non teambhp" ish. What I mean by this is the was he spoke, he could no way be a member of this forum. It was obvious and I could make it out.So here's the problem-
Members of this forum are no doubt passionate about anything on wheels, most of them are responsible and mature enough to understand traffic rules and abide by them. Problem arises whenxd
Old 13th December 2011, 23:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

What a coincidence I just few hours back placed my very 1st order for Team-BHP stickers.

I second thoughts of all the above bhpians that a Team-Bhp sticker should only be sold to members and not to non member. With the increasing value of Team-BHP as a respected forum of whom people look with utmost respect and when I see a car with a Team-BHP sticker, I know that person is a responsible driver.

With the increasing popularity of T-Bhp, people who are not the member try to be part of the forum by donning the T-Bhp sticker but as a online store we don't who is actually buying it. It's "Team-BHP" name on the line.

I sincerely request moderators and admin to pay a thought of not allowing non member to buy Team-Bhp stickers. At least momentarily and see what is the difference in sales and revenue generated. Is the revenue generated more important than the Team-BHP which stands for responsible driving?
Old 13th December 2011, 23:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Good insightful post! Loved the Shumacher video as well. There are couple of points to note as well, which is already mentioned above.

1. All cars sporting t-bhp stickers need not belong to t-bhpians.
2. Even if we assume all stickered cars belong to t-bhpians, I have seen numerous instances of such cars being driven rash and not sticking to etiquette - like honking for no reason in traffic signals.
3. We cannot stop giving stickers to our friends - I for one distribute stickers to my friends for two reasons;
a. I don't need more than 2 stickers for my ride when t-bhp generously gives 10 stickers or so
b. Create awareness about t-bhp among my friends too

Having said these, I would request / suggest that we add couple of more messages to the existing ones.
Old 13th December 2011, 23:35   #8
BHPian

Totally agree to everything posted on this thread. Following are my 2 cents-

I was the recipient of rash driving by a car that donned TBHP stickers. I happened to tail the car and eventually caught hold of the guy. When I was talking to him, I could make out that he was very "non teambhp" ish. What I mean here is the way he spoke, one could easily figure out that this guy could no way be a member of the forum.

So where does the actual problem lie???

PROBLEM AND PROBABLE SOLUTION- All of us, members of this awesome forum, are educated, mature and responsible enough to understand and follow traffic rules. One more area where we should be meticulous is " PASS ON TBHP STICKERS TO SUCH LIKE MINDED PEOPLE" whom one can vouch for!!!

It's my earnest request to all the forum members to kindly be a bit more responsible while passing on the forum stickers. DO NOT give them away to acquaintances or friend's friends.

We know how strict the moderators are while giving membership to this forum. Then why give away the stickers to morons who can't think for themselves?

So, BE RESPONSIBLE AND PASS ON THE STICKERS ONLYY TO LIKE MINDED PEOPLE WHO YOU CAN VOUCH FOR to maintain the image of the forum onroad as well!!!
Old 13th December 2011, 23:36   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Be practical guys. Sorry to bust this bubble in the first page of this thread. This ain't gonna happen. Not that I don't want people driving in a sedate manner, but Team-bhp is a large community of auto enthusiasts and there is a good chunk of them who like to put pedal to metal.

How do you guys propose to keep track of who get the stickers? I can think of two easy ways. One is to make sure that the team bhp sticker is available only at the Indian Passport office after police verification. Second is to install and RFID chip in each sticker so moderators can go around with RFID readers to find out which team - bhpian has double parked his car.
4x4addict is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 23:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

There are lot of discussions around similar topic thats been discussed extensively here and the same has been clarified by the moderators so many times. Please do use the search function before kicking off a new thread!
anachronix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 23:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Be practical guys. Sorry to bust this bubble in the first page of this thread. This ain't gonna happen. Not that I don't want people driving in a sedate manner, but Team-bhp is a large community of auto enthusiasts and there is a good chunk of them who like to put pedal to metal.

How do you guys propose to keep track of who get the stickers? I can think of two easy ways. One is to make sure that the team bhp sticker is available only at the Indian Passport office after police verification. Second is to install and RFID chip in each sticker so moderators can go around with RFID readers to find out which team - bhpian has double parked his car.
Let's not LOSE TRACK of the point here. You are absolutely RIGHT that giving away stickers cannot be controlled or checked in a country where passports can be made in duplicates without much sweat.

The point that I'm trying to make here is that, let's as a FORUM promote RESPONSIBLE DRIVING. Good driving etiquettes. And the urge to honour the gods of speed be kept off the streets.
Old 13th December 2011, 23:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Drive fast but don't drive rash. There is a huge difference Sir between the two. As a member I expect and rather believe that all other fellow members belong to the former group and not the latter.
Quote:
How do you guys propose to keep track of who get the stickers?
Well one can always make the store a part of the forum. The mods can create an option where one has to log in with there TBHP account/handle to be able to make a purchase. Just like the way a non member cannot post on the forum. I am sure its not that tough to do. But ofcourse the revenues is a big "?".
Old 14th December 2011, 00:00   #13
SDP
Team-BHP Support

TBHP stickers are membership stickers. So when I spot a car with a TBHP sticker, I say "Ah, another TBHP member.". I don't say "Must be a responsible driver". Being a TBHP member does not automatically make one a responsible driver.

Having said that, the thought in the original post is really good. How about another set of stickers which can not be bought, but only awarded (like the Distinguished BHPian tag) based on proven driving skills and correct attitude.
Old 14th December 2011, 00:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
There are lot of discussions around similar topic thats been discussed extensively here and the same has been clarified by the moderators so many times. Please do use the search function before kicking off a new thread!
Would you mind pointing me to one, please? Once again, the emphasis of this thread is NOT to regulate the distribution or sale of stickers ! And yet, if there is a thread that I'm duplicating, I can pull this one off.
Old 14th December 2011, 00:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D

Would you mind pointing me to one, please? Once again, the emphasis of this thread is NOT to regulate the distribution or sale of stickers ! And yet, if there is a thread that I'm duplicating, I can pull this one off.
Just browse around the Teambhp sticker spotting thread and look at similar topics at the bottom of the page, that should work for you!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed