Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2006, 10:56   #31
BHPian

And comparing all the cars, korean cars, including hyundai, sucks. Even the quality and safety aspects, make it even worthless. It is only good when compared to chinese manufacturers like Geely.The only positive point is, that it is cheaper option.

But, based on the quality of the products worldwide, i guess the success of hyundai here is because even now we dont have enough choice of good products except few from maruti. And ofcourse hyundai india has a very good marketing team.[/quote]

U r right ... Hyundai sells in India bcoz there arent any good options available inspite of many manufacturers here.

Bcoz to an average person with limited budget there are only 3 brands available - TATA, HYUNDAI and MARUTI.
In case of other manufacturers, after sales service and maintenance is too expensive and moreover an average man in India is not so technically aware about automobiles so it doesnt matter to him whether HYUNDAI is Korean.

In USA or elsewhere Korean brands like HYUNDAI sell bcoz of their cheap pricing and maintenance warranty but in India its at the same price as others but just their brand strategy which continues to fool the average public and as it is there arent any better options.

Personally, i would not want HYUNDAI to be a leader in India although i am a proud owner of Santro. My reason is that Automobile engineering is associated with Europeans and Japanse cars and Korean car is as good as a Chinese electronic item.
So i would prefer Japanese or a European brand to be in that position. But then Honda is again fooling us by over pricing its CITY just bcoz it sells and people have no alternative.

So if TATA gets its act right with FIAT that will make me and my fellow countrymen proud.

Wat say Guys ??
Old 15th March 2006, 11:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5) Logic my boy, logic :- Let me make this simpler. going ahead with point 3) tata still doesnt have c+ segment car to compete with hyundai's Elantra. If tata brings out a c+ segment car then that will most probably be a market leader or atleast beat elantra's sales by a margin. Here I mean it will take hyundai by the horns in the C+ segment.Hope its clear to you.
I read somewhere that Hyundai has become the #3 auto manufacturer in the world! They have presence in all the continents (..- except Antartica!! - before somebody corrects me ) ... I had driven a Hyundai in 91... and I have a hyundai now - in 2006 - I can safely say - again from experience - that the distance they have traversed in this period is second to none - that includes all the marutis, suzukis, Hondas,Tata, whoever! (the only exception perhaps is Toyota!)..

STEER is right - Lets quit comparing sales numbers and/or a Rolls with an Amby ... If turnover is King THEN HYUNDAI HAS JUST BECOME THE THIRD LARGEST IN THE WORLD! That means they are very savvy at making things which more and more ppl are buying every year! One has to be severely myopic to ignore that!

For PETE'S sake !!!(ane may Peter - Turbo India forgive me for saying so ) ... For Pete's sake lets quit this Korean Bashing!.. Reminds me of the time around three decades back when the same things were being said about the Japs.. Remember - Thats a lot of crow to swallow when time comes!!

BTW - every nut and bolt in the Optra is Korean -Daewoo - perhaps even the Chevy Badge is made there! - Britishers ruled us for over 150 years... Dint make us British and neither did they beome Indians!!

One man's Nectar - another's poison!

kb
Old 15th March 2006, 12:06   #33
BHPian

Volume of Verna more than Civic - says Autocar India

[quote=Steeroid] Sez WHO??????
Verna, (whose inside volume is more than Honda Civic)

says "The Auto magazine Vol 2, Issue 12 - November 2005" in their review of the Verna conducted a couple of months back. Thats because the height is possibly more and hence the volume is more. A very favourable review that was. Only thing they cribbed about was Hyundai's wierd naming strategy where the same model has different names in different countries and different models could have same name in different countries. Hope this is not creating confusion. The new Accent(Verna) looks substantially larger than the Accent.

Verna apparently lays a lot of importance on inside space. It is 30 mm longer at 4280 mm, 24 mm wider at 1694 mm, 76 mm taller at 1471mm, 59 mm longer wheelbase at 2499mm. It has a total inside volume of 2962 litres vs. 2914 litres for the Civic. The new Verna is apparently 39% stiffer than the current accent for stiffer handling. 1600cc DOHC CVVT petrol, 144Nm@4500rpm.ABS, EBD, gas shockers and 195/55 R15tyres.

Old 15th March 2006, 12:08   #34
BHPian

oops, Auto Magazine, not Autocar India as stated in the title
subbarp
Old 15th March 2006, 12:45   #35
BHPian

also delta dimensions with respect to current accent. Only the volume comparison with Civic.
Old 15th March 2006, 20:53   #36
BHPian

the way maruti is lagging behind on ASS and the attitide problems they have and also the one fact that they are not willing to agree that the car has a problem and doing something about it..the trust in maruti is slowly dropping and yes either tata or hyundai will shortly take over the maruti roost
Old 15th March 2006, 20:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
I read somewhere that Hyundai has become the #3 auto manufacturer in the world! They have presence in all the continents (..- except Antartica!! - before somebody corrects me ) ... I had driven a Hyundai in 91... and I have a hyundai now - in 2006 - I can safely say - again from experience - that the distance they have traversed in this period is second to none - that includes all the marutis, suzukis, Hondas,Tata, whoever! (the only exception perhaps is Toyota!)..

STEER is right - Lets quit comparing sales numbers and/or a Rolls with an Amby ... If turnover is King THEN HYUNDAI HAS JUST BECOME THE THIRD LARGEST IN THE WORLD! That means they are very savvy at making things which more and more ppl are buying every year! One has to be severely myopic to ignore that!

For PETE'S sake !!!(ane may Peter - Turbo India forgive me for saying so ) ... For Pete's sake lets quit this Korean Bashing!.. Reminds me of the time around three decades back when the same things were being said about the Japs.. Remember - Thats a lot of crow to swallow when time comes!!

BTW - every nut and bolt in the Optra is Korean -Daewoo - perhaps even the Chevy Badge is made there! - Britishers ruled us for over 150 years... Dint make us British and neither did they beome Indians!!

One man's Nectar - another's poison!

kb

ok let's see. You said Hyundai is the third largest company in the world.

GM,FORD,CHRYSLER,TOYOTA,HONDA,NISSAN
This are supposed to be the six largest car manufactuers. Tell me which 4 companies have been beaten by hyundai my friend.

WE are not bashing Koreans. Hyundai accent and santro were good cars for their price and features. I myself am ready to buy a new hyundai if it is good and competitive. certainly not if the cars are lookalikes or bad concepts like the new accent.

About the optra, lemme remind you that only the idea is Korean. the design has ben redone by Pininfarina, the engine comes from Holden Australia and the car is maufactured in India itself. And its chevy onl for Indians. It sold by 3 other names in multiple other countries.
Old 15th March 2006, 23:02   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
About the optra, lemme remind you that only the idea is Korean. the design has ben redone by Pininfarina, the engine comes from Holden Australia and the car is maufactured in India itself. And its chevy onl for Indians. It sold by 3 other names in multiple other countries.
Not attempting to counter any argument here ...

Americal Brands are very stong in America - But hardly as much elsewhere else - Either the article I had read was wrong - or my memory is - but the 1.6 engines DO NOT come from Holden... and if we were to have a Chinese car designed by Pininfarina, it will still remain a Chinese car!

Quote:
GM,FORD,CHRYSLER,TOYOTA,HONDA,NISSAN
This are supposed to be the six largest car manufactuers. Tell me which 4 companies have been beaten by hyundai my friend.
Do your research my friend - do your research -- I was as surprised as perhaps everyone else to read this! Will attempt to post the link once I find it.

My POV is that sure the looks can improve... sure the interiors can improve... sure the handling can improve.. sure ... sure ... sure.. Every single car here has been "RIPPED by team-BHP" - Are'nt we all searching to achieve that perfect package. However lineage still largely dictates our buying habits(must be a spillover from our colonial days!) In other words if the same Optra had a HONDA or a TOYOTA label , it would have sold much larger numbers than it is selling today. Which amply underscores what I was attempting to illustrate - that given the way the Koreans have improved in the last decade or two, this seems like a replay of the Japanese Auto story - three decades later!

My personal experience - never underestimate the under-dog (esp one with a stated ambition).. He has nothing to lose!!

Last edited by kb100 : 15th March 2006 at 23:08.
Old 16th March 2006, 01:57   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx
oops..i forgot to mention Plagiarism of hyundai cars.
old sonata looks like jaguar .
embera looks has a lot of simailrity with honda accord and certain models of lexus.
U think thats bad, u should check out models from KIA(a hyundai company).
Most of their models have resemblence to japanese or premium european cars.
Safari looks like an old generation Land Rover Discovery. I think if Hyundai can produce localised versions of some of the small Kia models they could make a serious play on catching up with Maruti. I doubt very much they can easily overtake Maruti by 2010.
Old 16th March 2006, 10:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

well currently their sales in India are a third of what Maruti is selling and close to half of what tata is selling.

Dont see them taking leaps anytime soon.

Its not about comlaining how bad the car is. Its complaining how bad the car really is. let me explain to you.

every car has cons, but it has pros too

Hyundai accent is inefficient. engine is low on refinement, low on performance even with 103bhp, low on FE, high on maintainence.

but hyundai knew this and played the VFM trump card and better service. This has worked in its favour.

WagonR is a better product than santro. But hyundai got it in market before maruti did. They were able to capture a share of the market easily. By the time WagonR hit the market they were ready with a new look santro.

But these small tactics dont help a company become market leaders.

KB100 I am still waiting for the sales figures.

Some intresting reads for you.

Here is the hyundai corporate website. They have stated here that they wish to become the fifth largest manufacturers by 2010.
please follow the link.

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/

go to company and then profile

"With Hyundai's publicly stated goal of becoming one of the top five carmakers in the world by 2010, the Hyundai brand will require careful repositioning."

additionally to satisfy your readings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Motor_Company

The Hyundai Motor Company (HMC) KSE: 005380, a division of Hyundai Motor Group, is South Korea's largest car maker. It is also the world's seventh
largest car maker

http://hyundai.sgpetch.co.uk/
It is Korea's largest car maker and world 7th largest including Kia, as of 2003

Last edited by devarshi84 : 16th March 2006 at 10:48.
Old 16th March 2006, 23:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...par-honda.html

I rest my case! .. Wait for another couple of years.... and you wont be able to tell the difference! .. and wikkepedia wont be able to help!! BTW - I happen to know the shortcomings and limitations of these encyclopedias a little too well... have worked with/on them at close range!

Last edited by kb100 : 16th March 2006 at 23:31.
Old 16th March 2006, 23:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Hyundai accent is inefficient. engine is low on refinement, low on performance even with 103bhp, low on FE, high on maintainence.
That is as big a load of rubbish as one is likely to come across on this site. The engine is pretty good on the refinement part except when pushed hard. Performance is a lot better that most biased people will ever give it credit for - bring on any other stock car and I'll show you a few things. Low on FE? Nah it used to give 10-11 consistently which is neither high nor low. High on maintenance - HOW MANY ACCENTS HAVE YOU MAINTAINED?

I suggest you stop making such ridiculous statements without any basis. I think I've seen enough of you to know where exactly you come from, and believe me - it shows.

You're welcome to make educated, unbiased statements but I'm afraid your posts are neither of the two. You talk about cars that you've never driven like you've owned them forever. You bring highly biased views on to the forum.....I dont know if anybody else as mentioned this to you, but your posts are do not make for healthy conversation.

I'm sick of being diplomatic with the likes of you who mistake tolerance for a license to say whatever they want.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th March 2006 at 09:08.
Old 17th March 2006, 01:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

And while you are at it I for one would be most interested in reading your write-up of how the Wagon-R is a better car than Santro!

"educated-unbiased-unopinionated" ..........
Old 17th March 2006, 01:22   #44
BHPian

I guess my comments would be biased to the core in this thread.Especially since this seem to be heating up...Hyundai's position in India is obvious for everyone to see.Sure,Maruti's on top,but they should be worried,if they're already not.What's all the fuss about anyway?
Old 17th March 2006, 01:58   #45
Senior - BHPian

Wait till Hyundai launch diesel models with the Variable Geometry Turbo (VGT).

I saw the new Santa Fe yesterday and this has the option of the 2.2 VGT engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks