Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 23:31   #91
BHPian

As others have pointed out already, the lack of ACC and a proper conventional music system hurts. Why provide sunroof and cruise control to show the premium ness when you cannot provide basic amenities?

With the Thailand situation, I really wonder if Honda can match the demand that the new model will generate. I expect most of the buyers going in for base variant which sounds attractive at 7L ex- showroom.
Old 15th December 2011, 02:47   #92
Senior - BHPian

re: 2012 Honda City launched. Pics on page 11

The nose job, more so the profile, seems to make it look more like the new Civic. Family look?

Also, if there are no discounts, then effectively on road prices are now higher by about 60-70K compared to the last of of discounted specimens - since the ex-showroom prices have remained more or less the same?
Old 15th December 2011, 07:31   #93
BHPian

DISAPPOINTED. Not because of lack of features or adding of new worthless features but for having spoilt the elegance which was associated with the pre-facelift model. I wanted the V-AT badly and was making arrangements to buy one by March, but no, Honda had to spoil the party.

Is it possible to have the old grill retrofitted at the dealer?
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 07:48   #94
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is an article on the price reduction on the new City in today"s ET

Quote:
14 DEC, 2011, 10.39PM IST, PTI
New Honda City launched at Rs 6.99 lakh starting price; cuts entry-level price by Rs 50,000
New Honda City launched at Rs 6.99 lakh starting price; cuts entry-level price by Rs 50,000 - The Economic Times
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 08:03   #95
Team-BHP Support

FACELIFTS I'VE SEEN IN THE INDIAN MARKET.

The Honda City facelift makes me think about facelifts in general and how so many manufacturers seem to force them at times on perfectly nice looking cars.

I don't know what it is about facelifts but I very very often feel that at least exterior standpoint wise, facelifts (not "all-new" models although i may cite a few examples here) often take the looks of the car backward.

Some egs that come to mind (all IMHO of course and these matters are highly subjective)

- late 80s Maruti 800 actually looked nicer, particularly from rear than the current several iterations face lifted version

- original alto rear looked more palatable than k10 version

- hyundai Verna previous generation. The short lived facelift towards the end looked absolutely horrid, particularly from the front. Takes talent to make an unimpressive looking car truly horrifying

- original zen looked nicest. later models with minor facelifts only took away from the look.

- Innova 2012 facelift. I actually prefer the current look. Looks cleaner. But of course I'll have to revisit view once I see it in the flesh.

- endeavour. On front headlamp front alone, I prefer the model running until a few yrs ago as opposed to the slightly peeled back softer headlamp look of the current model.

- scorpio. Original rear taillights look much cleaner than the current long vertical rear taillights. Latter looks really bad.

- Mitsubishi lancer. The original looked the nicest. Subsequent minor tweaks, particularly where they gave the vertical slats to the front grill didn't look as nice. The revised grill didn't look nice I mean.

- new swift. Overall the all new swift is nicer but one aspect I dislike is the rear bumper. It makes it looks awkward and the line is too high. T old swift rear looked nicer to me.

- Outlander facelift. Highly subjective but to me the old face looked nicer than the new shark face front. This looks suits the mitsu sedan more in my view (lancer) and looks odd on the Outlander.

These are just off the cuff egs I could readily think off - I'm sure there will be several more that other ppl may have. I reiterate, these are just as. Perceive them and i agree this is very subjective. I'm sure some would disagree and thats fine of course.

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2011 at 16:31. Reason: STRICTLY no short-forms to be used for cars on this forum (e.g. ANHC)
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 08:08   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quite a neat job from Honda! This is how the mid-life facelift should be. Almost like a please-all refresh – manufacturer feel that they have moved a step forward, existing customers feel happy that they did not get shortchanged with the update, and new customers almost feel that they are getting hold of a newer model. I personally liked the new look, and for me the positives outweighs the negatives.

And in-line to the above thought, I think the discussion is happening as if it’s a new generation launch from Honda. Not really surprising – after all it’s the Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I guess the Honda City has best in class audio system. The only issue is the absence of CD player which is not concern for many including me.
Maybe I am wrong, but I was told that the new Fiesta’s audio system is really a benchmark in the segment. Have they updated the audio system in the refreshed City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
It is actually the soft suspension setup that is the culprit.
Any idea if they have made it harder in the refresh? I was told that the Jazz actually handle those killer speed breakers better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Also, you guys are making too much of a deal about the lack of ACC. Climate control is great, sure- have it in the Vento- but the City's AC is pretty good, so what if it's a manual? This should not be a dealbreaker!
Totally agree. And just for a feel good factor, even segment above model VW Jetta don’t have it
I somehow have a renewed interest in the City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Petrol cars cant sell in our market without heft discounts - Fact of life.
I don’t think so. I feel the City will enjoy a steady market. I guess the market is not so bad for Petrols in this segment (and the segments below). It’s a different story once you get into Luxury C+ or D-segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
The instrument cluster dials are blue now, but the HU and central-console lights are still the old orange. Strange.
Very strange indeed. Maybe they were looking for a rainbow effect!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 08:46   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyR1der View Post
Being a s City owner i would agree the only thing here that i would miss is the GC. Other wise i think old city is good enough.

Btw. Can we get the GC on old city adjusted to the new one ?
No dear, Ground clearance of a car cannot be adjusted, this is the basics of the car.
Old 15th December 2011, 09:35   #98
BHPian

Finally the facelift has been announced. I am doubtful about the chrome grille, would like to see in flesh to check if this indeed looks better. Prices are no doubt very competitive and even the base model gets all the safety equipment, way to go Honda! But I expected a lot from this facelift like better rubber, auto folding outside rear view mirrors, even an ACC and preferably discs at the rear as well, also thought a bluetooth enabled music system would be offered, all of this was not met. I don't think a sunroof will make such a big difference to the features list, good to see leather upholstery standard on the top variant. I like the alloys and I think they have also added the auto up and down with pinch guard on the driver side, not sure if its was there pre face lift. On the whole a little disappointed but surely the city has got better. If I am looking at an automatic sedan next year city will surely top the list.
Old 15th December 2011, 09:58   #99
Team-BHP Support

I must say from a pricing standpoint (saw ACI update on this yesterday), they are making the City reasonably attractive. The facelift in itself is not bad either. Not earth shattering but in this case not doing anything too negative either. ACC addition would have been welcome but again, like someone mentioned by itself it shouldn't be a deal breaker, just an irritant at best. Personally though, if I were Honda, I'd have offered ACC over cruise control to customers (not sure what the cost delta is though for Honda between these 2 features).

The corporate edition is a good idea to try and get the lower end of the price band to consider jumping ship to the City. I'm guessing this will also be popular with fleet operators who can command a pricing premium for a City as opposed to cars sitting a segment below.

PS: I really wish they'd offer an S-AT. Given the tough competition, I'd do everything I can to reach out to target customers. Following the Rapid cue on this front would have been worthwhile in my view.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th December 2011 at 10:00.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:14   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
DISAPPOINTED. Not because of lack of features or adding of new worthless features but for having spoilt the elegance which was associated with the pre-facelift model. I wanted the V-AT badly and was making arrangements to buy one by March, but no, Honda had to spoil the party.

If only the Grill is the deal breaker, and nothing else in the facelift excites you, you may want to check if a old model is there in stock right now. You would get it for a steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I must say from a pricing standpoint (saw ACI update on this yesterday), they are making the City reasonably attractive.
From pricing perspective, only thing attractive is the new Corporate variant. Rest of the variants are slightly more expensive than the pre-face lift versions, IIRC. Also, with the discounts gone, I guess one would have to shell out more for this City.

The Corporate version is a confusing signal. On the one hand, they are trying to position this as a premium car with cruise control, sunroof etc. On the other hand the cheaper version may penetrate the market in a bigger way, hitting the premium image.
Bh.P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 10:29   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post

You could always try. I think it should be very much possible. You could even try exchanging with a pre facelift version. Am sure many would be wanting the new chrome grill for themselves.

As for me, hands off my city. Dont even look at my city. And if my car is without a grill tomorrow morning, I know who to blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I expect most of the buyers going in for base variant which sounds attractive at 7L ex- showroom.
City buyers dont buy the city as a cheap option. They buy it for the perceived status/satisfaction that comes with the car.

The base variant, which certainly looks the most VFM, always makes a prospective owner feel 'cheap'. There is always a ' I could afford only the cheapest option' feeling.

Case in point-I, ME, MYSELF !!!
Was drawn to the showroom by the EMT but soon realised that i could afford the SMT and that would leave me much more happier.

So in my opinion, the base version is like a bait. It lures you into the showroom, and once you are mesmerised by the car, your brain goes kaput and the heart takes over.

How bout calling it the "Bait version"
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 10:37   #102
Team-BHP Support

Ah, I stand corrected on the pricing. Superflous observation by me - I commented looking at the starting range I think.

Separately, I don't think the corporate edition really impacts the premium factor. Corporate edition will widen its appeal to wider individuals and perhaps to some extent find its way into fleets. These 2 aspects per se IMO won't dilute the image. Look at Innovas. Full of taxi operator users and yet it still retains a loyal client case amongst reasonably well to do individuals who opt for the V variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
From pricing perspective, only thing attractive is the new Corporate variant. Rest of the variants are slightly more expensive than the pre-face lift versions, IIRC. Also, with the discounts gone, I guess one would have to shell out more for this City.

The Corporate version is a confusing signal. On the one hand, they are trying to position this as a premium car with cruise control, sunroof etc. On the other hand the cheaper version may penetrate the market in a bigger way, hitting the premium image.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:48   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup

City buyers dont buy the city as a cheap option. They buy it for the perceived status/satisfaction that comes with the car.

The base variant, which certainly looks the most VFM, always makes a prospective owner feel 'cheap'. There is always a ' I could afford only the cheapest option' feeling.

Case in point-I, ME, MYSELF !!!
Was drawn to the showroom by the EMT but soon realised that i could afford the SMT and that would leave me much more happier.

So in my opinion, the base version is like a bait. It lures you into the showroom, and once you are mesmerised by the car, your brain goes kaput and the heart takes over.

How bout calling it the "Bait version"
You are right to an extent. I was referring more to buyers who were considering the petrol DZire or the Manza and can now reconsider the City EMT because of the price tag. Not everyone is a BHPian to really value the additional features in the higher models.

In India, owning a Honda is a big big achievement for most buyers, doesn't matter even if it is the stripped down base version.
Old 15th December 2011, 11:16   #104
Senior - BHPian

Even though the New Honda is a step up from the outgoing model, Honda is in for a bad time for the whole of next year at least, due to its lack of diesel. Growing competition from Skoda (Rapid) and Nissan (Sunny) besides the existing players (VW, Toyota et al) in the diesel avatar will further erode its already spiraling market share.

I don't see it regaining its past glory anytime soon till it introduces the diesel (slated for 2013)...

Last edited by dkaile : 15th December 2011 at 11:17.
Old 15th December 2011, 11:23   #105
BHPian

Right now, I am not in market for a Petrol Sedan. Otherwise, I would have bought CE with eyes closed. I hate beige interiors and I always try to buy safest variant. Most manufacturers give safety features only in higher end models, pushing down some unnecessary features with it. Kudos to Honda, they have included all safety features even in their lowest edition. Audio, Speakers and Alloys can always be bought from the same showroom at a later point, whenever we save enough money. This way, we can also save lot of road tax (but we not skipping on safety) and accessorize it at a later point. In states like AP and KA, you can save up to 30k to 40K on road tax itself between CE and V(AT with Sunroof and leather).

Last edited by Rach : 15th December 2011 at 11:30.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed