Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2022, 18:00   #8911
Team-BHP Support

Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Jeep must be rubbing its hands in glee in anticipation of its Meridian launch and I think C5 now is the VFM buy of the year.

Ideally from a need perspective I can easily wait even until late 2023 to buy my next car. But I think as soon as the couple of cars in my shortlist get launched in 2022, I will immediately decide and buy one of them.

The way prices get hiked every 4 weeks these days, I have no idea whether any car I choose in 2022, whether I will be afford the same car in 2023 and it’ll definitely be out of range by 2024 / 2025.
Axe77 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 18:19   #8912
Senior - BHPian

Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Soon one can buy BMW or Merc at lesser price than Fortuner Insane pricing by Toyota and people still buy it !! Sure its reliable but so are others, right? Gone are the days where cars used to be unreliable, now almost all cars are reliable only.

So at the price of Fortuner, one can actually buy 2 Safari or 2 XUV700 which are almost equivalent cars, just my view. If I am in market with 50+ Lacs to spend, I will buy one Safari and one XUV700, perfect garage for me

Last edited by aniketi : 5th January 2022 at 18:20.
aniketi is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 18:45   #8913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Has Honda announced a price hike in 2022? Was going through the website and the prices are unchanged so far.
The prices for City has increased by 7000 rupees. Don't know about Honda's other cars.
Old 5th January 2022, 18:45   #8914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Fortuner 4X2 MT and AT gets a price hike of 66,000 meanwhile the 4X4's get a price hike of a whopping 1.1 Lakh, including the Legender 4X2 !!

So that means in Bangalore a Fortuner Legender 4X4 today costs almost 55 Lakh OTR
I guess three major factors at play here-

1. No direct rival to Fortuner.

2. Over-priced 2021 Fortuner sold in good numbers then what's the harm in being a little more greedy.

3. Creating some price gaps to slot the upcoming Toyota Hilux pickup.

That said, for the price of the Fortuner sells now one can with the right mix of trims buy an Innova and a Thar. The former for city and highway duties while the latter for all the off-road shenanigans.

A bit off-topic, what really baffles me is now the Fortuner is selling at such atrocious price levels and it still doesn't get advanced driver-assist features (ADAS) when Toyota provides most of its cars in the U.S. with Toyota Safety Sense (TSS). TSS for those who don't know is a bundle of advanced driver-assist features offered as standard. Some might say I am asking too much but if a homegrown brand like Mahindra can give it then a Global brand like Toyota can surely do it.
AROO7 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 18:58   #8915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROO7 View Post
A bit off-topic, what really baffles me is now the Fortuner is selling at such atrocious price levels and it still doesn't get advanced driver-assist features (ADAS) when Toyota provides most of its cars in the U.S. with Toyota Safety Sense (TSS). TSS for those who don't know is a bundle of advanced driver-assist features offered as standard. Some might say I am asking too much but if a homegrown brand like Mahindra can give it then a Global brand like Toyota can surely do it.
Fun Fact: It's only in India where the Fortuner isn't offered with TSS, almost all markets where it is sold has TSS in atleast one variant.

Notice the different Toyota logo for the TSS equipped Fortuner available outside India:
Name:  FortunerwTSS.png
Views: 753
Size:  451.8 KB

Toyota logo we get in India w/o TSS:
The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals-fortunerwotss.png
CEF_Beasts is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 19:01   #8916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Has Honda announced a price hike in 2022? Was going through the website and the prices are unchanged so far.
Honda has not really increased the prices except for the 5th Gen City and Amaze by 6-7K as updated on it's official site
4th Gen City Price remains unchanged.
Also, i think, decreased the prices of Jazz and WR-V by 9-16K.

Do verify once as i haven’t checked the variant wise details.

Last edited by i_s_bajwa : 5th January 2022 at 19:05.
i_s_bajwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 20:37   #8917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
So that means in Bangalore a Fortuner Legender 4X4 today costs almost 55 Lakh OTR Not long ago one could get the premium badged cars at the same price.
There is no point in buying overpriced cars whose prices are touching the sky because of lack of planning on the car manufacturers part. These cars hardly offer any additional feeatures for the price they charge. In 1 year the chip shortage will go away and the market tide will change. As consumers, let's act sensibly and hold off on the purchases if possible instead of accepting these price rises as the new normal.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th January 2022 at 20:55. Reason: Quote trimmed.
PowerSpike is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 21:15   #8918
Team-BHP Support

So this is what a multibagger stock looks like in 2021 22.
Attached Images

Axe77 is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 21:33   #8919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSpike View Post
There is no point in buying overpriced cars whose prices are touching the sky because of lack of planning on the car manufacturers part. These cars hardly offer any additional feeatures for the price they charge. In 1 year the chip shortage will go away and the market tide will change. As consumers, let's act sensibly and hold off on the purchases if possible instead of accepting these price rises as the new normal.
If you are waiting thinking that prices would go back to normal after the chip shortage is gone, then I think that wait might be forever.

Whatever price there is now, is going to be the new baseline, just like how they say that the pandemic is the new normal.

But that said, if the situation reverses, there might be some handsome discounts offered here and there.

Last edited by ridehard : 5th January 2022 at 21:35.
ridehard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 23:38   #8920
BHPian

Quote:
But that said, if the situation reverses, there might be some handsome discounts offered here and there.
Yes for the situation to reverse is mostly when recession or supply increases drastically or demand reduction happens. The market correction for all items from FMCG to real estate happens when any of above happens. Until then it will be the sellers' market. Also these days the Engineering R&D costs have increased a lot. So we can expect product costs to increase.
It is a vicious circle, people get/expect higher salaries and again spend on the products with higher costs. Keeps going on.
darthvader001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 08:41   #8921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
I got no idea where these prices are heading. Not long ago, I used to consider an automobile a premium / expensive one if its above 10 lakhs. Now I have upgraded that threshold to 20 lakhs and above. Anything below 20 lakhs is a normal car for an 'aam admi' these days. However, I wish the income of common man are also keeping up with these price increases, however reality so far says the other way around.
I sorted by old recently and found this thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...hed-india.html (Accord V6 launched in India)

The legendary Accord V6, 3.0L V6 with 221bhp launched for around 17 lakhs. Nowadays even a Honda City 1.5L inline-four (with obvious cost-cutting measures compared to the cars back then) costs more than 18L. *shrugs*

And also, this is why all the hype about the Skoda Slavia being bigger than the first gen Octavia doesn't excite me in the slightest. The first gen Octavia topped out at around 8 lakhs in 2004 IIRC. The Slavia will be at least 2.5 - 3x that price, and is a whopping 3 centimetres longer than a car from 1996.
rkv_2401 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 09:15   #8922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader001 View Post
Yes for the situation to reverse is mostly when recession or supply increases drastically or demand reduction happens. The market correction for all items from FMCG to real estate happens when any of above happens. Until then it will be the sellers' market. Also these days the Engineering R&D costs have increased a lot. So we can expect product costs to increase.
It is a vicious circle, people get/expect higher salaries and again spend on the products with higher costs. Keeps going on.

Everyone is trying to milk the situation and make up for losses during the pandemic.

Of course there is chip shortage and tons of other problems but so much hike in prices for the same car without additional features is just unreasonable.

Like black marketing. Since there is a shortage they feel they can sell for whatever price they deem correct.

I am on the market for a large SUV and I am seriously considering the Kodiaq over the Fortuner now.

I really don’t see a Toyota worth 50-55 lacs.
drjaygoyal is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 09:44   #8923
BHPian

Quote:
I really don’t see a Toyota worth 50-55 lacs.
True. Toyota making hay while sun shines (Endeavor/Bolero/other not being there). Even if the new Ford Endeavor replacement comes it might be in the same range as it will be CBU. So Toyota might be placing Fortuner nicely..
Old 6th January 2022, 10:14   #8924
Senior - BHPian

Won't be surprised if a new 45L Fortuner bought today sells for 45L in 2025 used, since the new one will be 80L in 2025 - no appreciation in real world, but in automotive world that is a phenomenal growth.
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 10:18   #8925
BHPian

I remember the days when you could get the Gen 1 Octavia vRS for 16-17 lacs on road. Pure driving bliss and none of the electronic BS. I remember a friend had the 1.8L petrol with a K&N filter and his car sounded sweet. Build as solid as a tank. Now you get tin cans for that price and boring engines. This suddenly has got me interest in getting one and restoring it. Don't know if that is a good idea though!

Heck the Gen 1 Innova use to retail at 8-10 lacs. A friend had the one which he bought for 9.xx lacs on road, used it for 6 years and 65k kms and sold the damn thing for 6.xx lacs.

I would never pay 40+ lakhs for a Fortuner. Apart from the reliability quotient it doesn't command such a hefty price. Bouncy ride, missing features for the price and nothing really exciting on the performance front. Yes it can go anywhere, literally, but would some buying a 45 lakh SUV have the time to go off-roading? Some would argue on that, but there are very few with that kind of time, money and enthusiasm. Most in this category are chauffeured and barely see off-road roads and for them the Kodiac is a far better option. Obviously Fortuner sells thanks to politicians, babus and security fleets of the rich and famous.
BHPjunkie is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks