Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2011, 20:44   #1261
BHPian

re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Results of a time-killing activity on a Friday:

Petrol hatch-backs in India:

(Prices are OTR Pune)
  1. Indica Vista 65HP GVX: 5.60 lacs
  2. Beat LT Optional: 5.60 lacs
  3. Punto 1.2 Emotion: 5.70 lacs
  4. Ritz ZXi: 5.80 lacs
  5. Swift ZXi: 6.15 lacs
  6. Micra XV: 6.15 lacs
  7. Fabia Elegance: 6.60 lacs
  8. i20 Asta: 6.70 lacs
  9. Polo Highline: 6.80 lacs
  10. Indica Vista 90HP GZX: 6.80 lacs
  11. Punto 1.4 Emotion Pack: 6.80 lacs
  12. Jazz X: 6.90 lacs
Some observations:
  • Look how immaculately new Swift has been placed.
  • Even though Jazz still looks to be the most expensive hatch, IMHO I would prefer it over i20, Indica Vista 90HP, Punto 1.4 EPK, Micra XV.
  • IMO Tata has lost the game with the 90HP Vista. They were always known to be best VFM in India, but look at the price of Vista 90HP. No offense to any Vista 90HP owner, but I think its way too expensive.
P.S. The actual prices could be +- 5k, but this could give you an idea. Also, other states prices would obviously be different, for instance, Delhi prices are always lower than Pune and Banglore prices are always higher than Pune.

Please note that I may have omitted a few cars here because I thought that they were not suitable in this list.
The price you have quoted is for Punto MJD emotion pack (Diesel).
1.4 petrol e-pack costs 6.03L OTR Pune
Old 7th September 2011, 21:10   #1262
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Re: GM India to review auto prices in Sept2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Damn, time to book i10 and Brio just to be on safer side.
I hope booking now will not have affect from price hike in Oct.
Look at the quote received. The fine print always says, "Price at the time of delivery will be charged". This is irrespective of your booking date.
Old 7th September 2011, 21:45   #1263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan

The price you have quoted is for Punto MJD emotion pack (Diesel).
1.4 petrol e-pack costs 6.03L OTR Pune
Are you sure? My estimate was based on x-showroom price from the Fiat site.
Old 7th September 2011, 23:19   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota to raise prices by 1.5-2 pct in India from 1st Oct2011

Probably, they are adding some sound deadening to their base line tin cans: Etios and Liva and passing on the benefit to ..ahem.. themselves.
Old 7th September 2011, 23:55   #1265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Keep increasing the prices and keep pushing bare bones car models in the name of "India Specific" cars. Sweet.

Toyota big successes were in taxi sector, namely Qualis and Innova.

Bring the same attitude to the consumer car market at your own peril Toyota.
Apart from the Etios+Liva that also does a healthy 5000 cars/month (which other petrol model does those numbers?) all other Toyota models are segment leaders - Innova, Fortuner and the Altis.

I have come to realise that the kind of quality and service effort that Toyota puts in the game, commands a premium. Of course Etios and Liva - no comments as I do not like either model much and believe that they should not wear the Toyota badge.
Old 8th September 2011, 00:46   #1266
Team-BHP Support

In this day and age of price cuts, discounts, and goodies offered like extended warranties, it's absurd that Toyota has decided to hike prices of their cars. The diesel Corolla Altis costs 16 lakhs now, and that's the same price as the Cruze. And the Cruze has a lot more to offer, in terms of equipment.

Why is Toyota doing this? First, they give us a sub-standard car, in terms of quality, in the name of quality and a "specifically designed for India" tag-line. And then hike the prices of 'most' of their cars. What do they mean by 'most'? It's not like they have 10 cars on sale. They have the Innova, the Fortuner, the Corolla and the Etios/Liva. (I'm not counting the Camry and the Land Cruiser siblings as they're CBUs.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Toyota increases its prices too soon too often! This is when most of there vehicles are low on gadgets and goodies compared to the segments other offerings. Please stop doing a "Honda" on us consumers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Not a very wise move. The market is already depressing with high interest rates and rising fuel prices. Now, with rise in the vehicle price will surely put off potential buyers.
Had'nt Toyota increased prices on their vehicles in the recent past? Seems they following their Jap counterparts - Honda.
You'll probably haven't heard of the recent price cuts by Honda. The Jazz is 1.5 lakhs cheaper and the City now retails at 7 lakhs (ex-showroom). The Jazz was recently given a face-lift and the City's minor face-lift is on its way.
Old 8th September 2011, 01:07   #1267
BHPian

People its not just Toyota, just about every car maker is planning to do that (Source - ET). While Toyota & Chevrolet have announced the numbers there are other auto makers who are bumping up the cost by pretty decent amount with minor updates & facelifts (VW for Vento & probably the upcoming face-lifted City). So there might be a general turn-down in over all auto sales numbers across brands/model and Toyota wont be alone.

Last edited by SR-71 : 8th September 2011 at 01:10.
Old 8th September 2011, 08:22   #1268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You'll probably haven't heard of the recent price cuts by Honda. The Jazz is 1.5 lakhs cheaper and the City now retails at 7 lakhs (ex-showroom). The Jazz was recently given a face-lift and the City's minor face-lift is on its way.
That was the point exactly. First keep increasing your car prices erratically and irrationally trying to milk customers trust in your brand. When finally the customer wakes up and goes for another car what do you do? you cut your car prices so drastically that you kill the resale value of everyone's car who were your so called loyal customer.

ps: I own an NHC and I know the pain since I am trying to sell the car off now.
Old 8th September 2011, 09:46   #1269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That was the point exactly. First keep increasing your car prices erratically and irrationally trying to milk customers trust in your brand. When finally the customer wakes up and goes for another car what do you do? you cut your car prices so drastically that you kill the resale value of everyone's car who were your so called loyal customer.

ps: I own an NHC and I know the pain since I am trying to sell the car off now.
Well, I own a 2010 Jazz and We'd bought it when it was at it's most expensive sticker price. SO we do know a thing or two about customer trust. But I'll tell you what, at least Honda offers a quality product. Even if it is expensive (now it's not) it's worth it. And it's time we stop worrying about resale value and trust. We should try and enjoy what we have now. Both the NHC and the Jazz are great products.

On this side, though, Toyota gives us a leaking, creaking and raw car at 6 lakhs, and decides to hike prices even further. Now that's wrong. Give us a quality product, at least. Shame on you, Toyota!
Old 8th September 2011, 10:37   #1270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On this side, though, Toyota gives us a leaking, creaking and raw car at 6 lakhs, and decides to hike prices even further. Now that's wrong. Give us a quality product, at least. Shame on you, Toyota!
To call the Etios leaking, creaking and raw is a tad unfair. None of the BHPians has reported an issue yet with there etios. The leaking and creaking part is based on that advertisement I suppose whose authenticity is itself a doubt. I drive an Innova 2006 model and its done 80k kms. You will be surprised to find zero rattles even today. And trust me I havent taken any additional care of the vehicle. Infact in these 80k kms its gone into multiple hands while doing its highway runs. And many of those highways are more of bullock carts specially inside haryana and UP.

On the other hand my brand new NHC had a major oil leak and issues right in the first 6 months and less then 4k on the odo. And it wasn't due to rodents.

But anyways not going off-topic here, Toyota is seriously damaging its market share here. Most of there cars are very low on equipment and combining that with price hikes is insane.
Old 8th September 2011, 10:45   #1271
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
To call the Etios leaking, creaking and raw is a tad unfair. None of the BHPians has reported an issue yet with there etios. The leaking and creaking part is based on that advertisement I suppose whose authenticity is itself a doubt. I drive an Innova 2006 model and its done 80k kms. You will be surprised to find zero rattles even today. And trust me I havent taken any additional care of the vehicle. Infact in these 80k kms its gone into multiple hands while doing its highway runs. And many of those highways are more of bullock carts specially inside haryana and UP.

On the other hand my brand new NHC had a major oil leak and issues right in the first 6 months and less then 4k on the odo. And it wasn't due to rodents.

But anyways not going off-topic here, Toyota is seriously damaging its market share here. Most of there cars are very low on equipment and combining that with price hikes is insane.
It's only the Etios and Liva that is under-cooked, IMO. Thanks to it's 'Specifically-made-for-India' tag. Toyota has compromised on quality, big time! Even the Team-BHP reviews say so. At the price that it's being offered, there are so many cars that have much better interiors and give you a more premium feel. Heck, the slightly cheaper Brio feels more premium!

The Innova is a class-act by Toyota!

It's the best product that Toyota has ever launched in India. A superior people-mover, a great family wagon, and a superb mile-muncher. Nothing feels more comfortable than an Innova, this side of 15 lakhs IMO. Add to that, Toyota's excellent reliability and after-sales-service, it instantly becomes a wonderful package.

If Toyota decides to improve the quality in the Etios/Liva, only then will they be able to justify the price-hike, IMO.
Old 8th September 2011, 11:21   #1272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If Toyota decides to improve the quality in the Etios/Liva, only then will they be able to justify the price-hike, IMO.
I think toyota is in very dangerous waters.

Etios/liva: Haven't really set the charts on fire showing that the market doesn't buy Toyota just for the brand. Some part of toyota's success can be attributed to the lack of competition in those segments. But With the Etios and Liva they have to fight it out with 2 very well respected and settled brands : Maruti and Hyundai.

Innova: Its a gem of a car but then once again people have very less option in that segment. With the launch of aria and upcoming Mahindra products, a pricier Innova can be a bad thing. The car is already priced quite high and is low on gadgets. And by gadgets I mean basic functions like doors not auto-locking on there own with the vehicle moving.

Altis: The petrol is anyway not going to sell much. Whatever is selling is once again due to the fact that the only competition it has is the Civic. The Civic's low seating and low GC are an issue with many buyers and hence Altis sells. With the price cuts and discounts being offered on the Laura TSI even the petrol Altis is bound to be suffering.
The diesel variant is a dud. They hardly sell any. Its already priced above the Cruze and now with this price hike it will enter Jetta/Laura territory which is laughable at best.

Fortuner: A SUV that started with 19-20L OTR in 2010 has suddenly become a 23L OTR SUV in Delhi. Thats a huge hike. With the launch of new Captiva, Audi Q3 and X1, Mahindra-Ssangyong SUVs , further price increase in the Fortuner may hurt its sales too.

All in all Toyota better be smart here!

Last edited by drmohitg : 8th September 2011 at 11:23.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 13:20   #1273
Senior - BHPian

Just called up my SA at Ravindu Toyota and he does not know of any hike coming, and also does not think so if something like this is coming in future. He also mentioned that the prices were just hiked in March and there would not be any hike so soon.

When asked about Oct 1 is the date for price revision, he mentioned that if prices are raised in Oct then the dealers would know about it close to a month in advance.
Old 8th September 2011, 15:36   #1274
Senior - BHPian

Re: GM India to review auto prices in Sept2011

So is it true that none of the manufacturers offer price guarantee when you book the car, and if the prices change by the time of delivery you pay more, i didn't knew that and was blaming only Toyota for such a practice.

I guess in Toyota's case the wait time between booking and deliver is longer than the rest hence it becomes even more riskier. Most of the other cars like Laura, Civic are almost available immediately (Maybe 2 weeks) to be able to beat this price rise, Not so for Toyota the Fortuner has 2 months waiting now as i am being told.
Old 8th September 2011, 16:09   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Just called up my SA at Ravindu Toyota and he does not know of any hike coming, and also does not think so if something like this is coming in future. He also mentioned that the prices were just hiked in March and there would not be any hike so soon.

When asked about Oct 1 is the date for price revision, he mentioned that if prices are raised in Oct then the dealers would know about it close to a month in advance.
Saw this article -

Toyota Kirloskar hikes car prices by up to 2 percent | CarTradeIndia.com

Saw similar articles in several other sites.

Is it a ploy to push more cars? But then they already have a fairly long waiting list, right?

Last edited by samm : 8th September 2011 at 16:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks