Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 19:00   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Freelander 2 Now For Rs 33.88 Lakh!

As others have mentioned, this is old news. It'll be close to 40 lakhs on the road, while the higher spec 190 BHP variant goes to 45.

I have spent a lot of time driving the Freelander 2 and think it's little more than an overpriced, compact SUV.

1. Engine : Nothing exceptional. A 4 cylinder diesel

2. Space : Nothing exceptional. Rear seat has about the room of a Honda City. Only 2 rows of seats.

3. Ride & Handling : Balanced. But so are many other SUVs at 1/2 the price.

4. Offroadability : Huh? How many people are going to buy a 45 lakh SUV and abuse it off the road? Even if you have the money, keep your Freelander on tarmac and buy a Gypsy or Thar for offroading.

5. Equipment : A 20 lakh Skoda Superb beats it hollow.

Honestly, except for the badge, there is nothing that a Nissan X-Trail or Skoda Yeti don't offer you at 50% (or less) the price. I give this vehicle a thumbs down, especially at this price. The Freelander is worth a maximum of 30 lakh rupees on the road.

Last edited by GTO : 20th December 2011 at 19:03.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 19:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

The only way to be able to competitively price products in India is to have heavy localization content and make India the export hub for other countries too to justify the heavy investments costs.

CBUs, CKDs route should be taken only for niche and low volume sales targets. India probably has the potential to do easy 250-350 Freelanders per month if priced near 35L OTR for a decent spec for the 190 hp version.

Last edited by dipen : 20th December 2011 at 19:29.
Old 21st December 2011, 14:48   #18
BHPian

I agree with GTO. The car lacks in all fronts.

looks: Not so appealing
Size: Not so appealing
styling: looks quite dated as per me inside and outside.

The photos which have been attached in the first post are not the Indian version of the vehicle. Frankly I feel that its not worth around that price bracket. A montero which slightly more expensive than this finds itself as a better buy
Old 21st December 2011, 15:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

I'm no fan of the Freelander either. While I've not driven one, I've been driven in one for almost two hours over varying roads. The appeal is just not there. not the exteriors, not the interiors, and from what I've heard, not the engine either if it's output isn't all that great. If people are buying it as a mini Range Rover then I seriously doubt the ability of this vehicle to satisfy that need.

Off roading? Get a Fortuner. Tarmac? Get a Captiva / Xtrail. Better still, get an XUV for the dirt and a good 20-lac rupee sedan for the roads.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 15:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

I have driven & been driven in the Freelander 2, I think it is a great vehicle, and around 35 on road it would be a good buy....

Cheers
Old 21st December 2011, 17:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Isnt this old news?

The 140 bhp SE version costs 39 lakhs on road in Mumbai whereas the 190 bhp HSE version costs 45 lakhs on road.

There are a few difference in features between the SE & HSE as well. SE does not have electrically adjustable seats, etc.
Old 21st December 2011, 18:37   #22
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

OLD News, been seeing the hoarding since a long while.

Pricing is just not sufficently attractive for a 140 bhp engine.

It is just that we have been spoilt by the prices of other CBU import SUV's to start thinking this is good for the badge.

It could be really worth while if another 5L less. The X1 is a similar product as in it too seems great value but then is neither feature rich nor great to drive nor the ultimate off road and vehicles at half the price offer much more (Yeti etc.) It is just the badge and that will not (actually has not) move this off the shelf.
Old 22nd December 2011, 04:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Just can't help chuckling.
Suddenly the Fortuner appears to be a VFM SUV !
Presumably and going by a few of the LR/RR owner's reports here, the cost of maintaining the Freelander 2 would also be rather high. Right ?
Old 22nd December 2011, 08:00   #24
Team-BHP Support

Well, almost 50 lacs for the BMW X3 which apart from the engine is not really as good as the Freelander in any department, again 50 lacs for the Volvo XC60 and suddenly the Freelander at 40 lacs appears a much better buy.
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Yes, everything is relative. If you start thinking in absolute terms you realize how we get ripped here.

The USP of Freelander is that it is supposed to have the best offroading capabilities for a softroader (i.e. without low range). Take that away, it doesn't seem very attractive compared to other crossovers. It is priced similar to the Fortuner in South Africa. It is priced higher here.
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:44   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As others have mentioned, this is old news. It'll be close to 40 lakhs on the road, while the higher spec 190 BHP variant goes to 45.

I have spent a lot of time driving the Freelander 2 and think it's little more than an overpriced, compact SUV.

1. Engine : Nothing exceptional. A 4 cylinder diesel

5. Equipment : A 20 lakh Skoda Superb beats it hollow.

I give this vehicle a thumbs down, especially at this price. The Freelander is worth a maximum of 30 lakh rupees on the road.
I completely agree. Couldn't have summarised better. One more point:

6. Luxury / plushness factor: The interiors just don't feel plush or luxurious enough to make you feel you're sitting in a 40 lakh plus vehicle. I TD one and came out very disappointed on this front as well.

The exterior is very nice looking but when you're spending this kind of money, you want the ride to really pamper and make you feel special when sitting inside.
Old 24th December 2011, 11:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

I would if I could - buy the base version with 140 horses & tweak the power with a remap, if it is reliable & available. I am pretty sure that can be done.

Let us see what 2012 brings...many more options, I would happily hang on to my Pajero till then !

Cheers
Old 26th December 2011, 15:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the SE version of the Freelander 2. One word - Awesome. The driving dynamics are brilliant, the dial up terrain selector is nice to use. Acceleration even in the 150 hp version was nice, remap is possible. So why spend 5L extra ? The only thing extra on gets is 40 BHP, Electrically adjustable seats, different set of alloys, faux pas wood instead of brushed aluminium.......

IMHO not worth the extra 5L, if I get a decent price for the Pajero - I may as well upgrade :-)

On the other hand waiting for the slew of SUV's in 2012...tough call

Cheers
Old 27th December 2011, 16:47   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Test drove the SE version of the Freelander 2.
Did you observed excessive Road Noise ? I tried twice in different vehicles & with different sets of tires , no clue with sales person . View from driver position is very good . Do we have any team members with first hand experience of these cars ? I have heard horror stories overseas & recently had a first hand encounter with a Family who was in workshop for probably 5th time in less than a Year of ownership of LR . 2 Kids with Large Suitcases on a Long weekend in LR workshop
Old 22nd January 2012, 05:18   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63
?., faux pas wood instead of brushed aluminium.......

Cheers
Hilarious usage! ' faux pas' wood!
Quite agree with you that the brushed aluminium would have been better! Same sentiment about the Skoda Yeti. Faux wood, however well executed still doesn't cut it for me. Looks a bit like Formica of the1970's! Brushed aluminium would have been classier any day.
Same displeasure on my part with these blighted beige interiors. Would vastly prefer black interiors any day of the week!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks