Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite Automobile show on Indian TV and why?
Car and Bike Show - NDTV Networks 116 61.70%
Overdrive - CNBC TV18 36 19.15%
Overdrive (Hindi) - CNBC Awaaz 1 0.53%
Autocar Show - Bloomberg UTV 56 29.79%
Zigwheels - ET NOW 2 1.06%
Times Drive - Times NOW 6 3.19%
Wheelocity - ZEE Business 2 1.06%
Any other - please specify 15 7.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2013, 19:39   #46
BHPian

Re: Automobile shows on Indian TV: Your choice and why

Fifth Gear after I started subscribing to Discovery Turbo. Top Gear, too biased towards English vehicles. We don't have separate option for Fifth Gear.
As far as Indian shows are concerned, Times Drive and Overdrive are far ahead of Car and Bike Show. Lately, not able to watch Times Drive. is it off the air?
Yet to watch AutoCar on Bloomberg, though I watch all their reviews online.
Voting for Overdrive.
Old 1st January 2014, 11:17   #47
BHPian

Voted for CNB, but have started liking Top Speed on ET Now also - the languid pace of narration by the podgy presenter is a welcome change and the program format includes a drive to a holiday destination (from metros) with interesting insights.

Last edited by jessie007 : 1st January 2014 at 11:20.
Old 1st January 2014, 14:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

All the India shows can't match overseas auto shows for watchability. I understand that they don't have the budget or production muscle of the shows abroad but since they are all about car launches and test drives, Autocar keeps is straight, informative and useful.

Autocar also panders less to CEOs and execs, compared with Overdrive and CNB, and keeps it about the car, I feel.

Last edited by StarScream : 1st January 2014 at 14:08.
Old 1st January 2014, 16:08   #49
BHPian

Perhaps time to start video reviews in TeamBHP?

It's quite clear the Indian shows don't do 'reviews' in the real sense of term. Perhaps not to offend the TV's big advertisers?

Just like the top cars, the reviewers also should exhibit strong character & sound original in reviews. The people on these shows were just 'presenters' & not 'reviewers'.
viggienomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 16:58   #50
BHPian

No intention of being modest here, but anyone and everyone related to automobiles, travelling and even the enthusiastic folks alike know for a fact that team-bhp.com is the biggest archive of reviews in India and has a few members in other countries and even across the border.

I always want that GTO should up the game now. Start a channel similar to Discovery Turbo and if that's not feasible financially how about starting just a show? Remember ACI with Hormazd and Renuka started with CNBC and are separate now. Also, if money is a constraint, how about we the members pool in some money and get started?
desiaztec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 19:21   #51
MHG
BHPian

Indian Top Gear Anybody ?

Could there be an Indian version of Top Gear ? I can see a lot of reasons why such a show will be a hit.
  • Currently none of the car shows in India are "entertaining" as such - Top Gear India will take things to a different level.
  • India has a great modding and tuning scene that begs to be showed off.
  • Indian politicians in the "Star in a Reasonably Priced Ambassador"
  • Nano football ?
  • Road trips around the more remote parts of the country. There are places which simply beg to be showcased!
  • Offroading challenges!
  • Train vs Car along Golden Quadrilateral
  • Indian Stig listening to Bhojpuri for a whole season and Mohammed Rafi for the next
  • Auto rickshaw racing
  • Jeep paint ball
  • Drag racing using modded TVS XL Supers
  • Scooter hockey
  • Dune racing in the Thar desert
  • Demolition derby style racing with scrapped Indian cars
  • Restoring classics
Pour in your views. Maybe Team-BHP itself could start such a show ?
MHG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 20:18   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Indian Top Gear Anybody ?

Why not. There are several TopGear versions around the world. Notably the American and the Australian version. I have watched both and have given up completely on both

Nothing comes even close to the original.

What I find attractive in The UK Topgear version, apart from the three presentors and the general format is that it is actually a pretty international set up. Sure they do have a few things tied into the UK specifically (eg ranting about the Minister of transport or the mayor of London). But They travel all around the world for testing cars and to goof around.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 17:55   #53
BHPian

No comparison to the Topgear UK show. They are the gods of the automotive entertainment shows. Witty, informative, exotic cars, exotic locations and funny stuff. They have changed the way we see cars. Hats off to such a supreme show!
vikast_ap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 14:39   #54
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Autocar is no longer with Bloomberg UTV! You may see it on another channel.
They have replaced it with 'Auto Show'.
Old 8th October 2015, 23:02   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Autocar is no longer with Bloomberg UTV! You may see it on another channel.
They have replaced it with 'Auto Show'.
Was just about to post this. Quite sudden and no news of which channel it moved to.

I really want to see a show similar to Top Gear or Fifth gear where the show is a little more casual and not so similar. One guy reporting a car during media drive is getting boring. Rather read our reviews.

We have the buddh track. why not get star in reasonably priced car. Have a team test where 3 journos review a car.
Old 9th October 2015, 07:44   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I really want to see a show similar to Top Gear or Fifth gear where the show is a little more casual and not so similar. One guy reporting a car during media drive is getting boring. Rather read our reviews.
I agree, but there are chances that it become a poor imitation. A few years back Timesdrive folks did a car v/s train run (la Topgear), and it was quite an irritating watch.

I remember seeing a guy doing a online car review so similar to lines of Carbuyer UK reviews (I think it was Auto Portal). It was so hilarious to see him even copy Rebecca Jackson's (ex-Carbuyer) height reference
Old 9th October 2015, 08:48   #57
BHPian

It may not be on TV, it may not be called Top Gear India, but this is definitely the closest India has gone to the quality of content provided by BBC Top Gear.

This is the show which really deserves to be on TV. None of the others come anywhere close. Set the quality on 1080p and check it out today and let me know if what I said was wrong.

https://m.youtube.com/user/powerdriftofficial

P.S.: It is funny that Powerdrift has existed on YouTube for a couple of years now and still I got exactly zero search results for it when I searched for it today before posting this link here.
Old 9th October 2015, 09:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Autocar show. However Autocar, CNB, Overdrive and Times Drive are all good shows and I try to watch all. Gets a bit hectic on Sundays as I have to watch all these as well as the Gadgets and Mobile shows.
Old 9th October 2015, 09:55   #59
BHPian

Autocar Show and Renuka..Hand Down..The reviews are quite honest. The language is quite simple and to the point. It actually makes you finalize your car.
Old 9th October 2015, 14:54   #60
BHPian

My choice is The Autocar Show . I like the way Renuka and Kartikeya present the review. Both have a free flowing vocabulary and ensure the listeners understand what they like to putforth. The choice of words used are simple and apt

Most Viewed