Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite Automobile show on Indian TV and why?
Car and Bike Show - NDTV Networks 116 61.70%
Overdrive - CNBC TV18 36 19.15%
Overdrive (Hindi) - CNBC Awaaz 1 0.53%
Autocar Show - Bloomberg UTV 56 29.79%
Zigwheels - ET NOW 2 1.06%
Times Drive - Times NOW 6 3.19%
Wheelocity - ZEE Business 2 1.06%
Any other - please specify 15 7.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2015, 19:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
It may not be on TV, it may not be called Top Gear India, but this is definitely the closest India has gone to the quality of content provided by BBC Top Gear.

This is the show which really deserves to be on TV. None of the others come anywhere close. Set the quality on 1080p and check it out today and let me know if what I said was wrong.

https://m.Youtube.com/user/powerdriftofficial

P.S.: It is funny that Powerdrift has existed on YouTube for a couple of years now and still I got exactly zero search results for it when I searched for it today before posting this link here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
My choice is The Autocar Show . I like the way Renuka and Kartikeya present the review. Both have a free flowing vocabulary and ensure the listeners understand what they like to putforth. The choice of words used are simple and apt

Yes, PowerDrift has some amazing shooting and editing skills. By far the best in India, but, and a big one at that, their anchors are horrible! Maybe even the worst on Indian TV.
What they need is people like Renuka and Kartikeya for reasons mentioned above. Or better still, they should try getting Vir Das. Now that would be something!
Just my two cents.
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 20:45   #62
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automobile shows on Indian TV: Your choice and why

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Times Drive
Times Drive has been off air for a while now, Living Cars on NewsX is back on air now.
Old 9th October 2015, 21:02   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
Yes, PowerDrift has some amazing shooting and editing skills. By far the best in India, but, and a big one at that, their anchors are horrible! Maybe even the worst on Indian TV.
What they need is people like Renuka and Kartikeya for reasons mentioned above. Or better still, they should try getting Vir Das. Now that would be something!
Just my two cents.
Yeah power drift shooting and editing is stupendous, just check out the GT twins review and how they have captured the review, especially the GT TDI entry @ 3.42 minutes in to the video. its just amazing

I remember this being mentioned by someone in the polo review.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 11:17   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Times Drive has been off air for a while now, Living Cars on NewsX is back on air now.
Sorry didn't know that. Have been out of India for over 4 months now.
Old 10th October 2015, 12:13   #65
BHPian

I agree. Most of them are pure shite! Trying to appease the big guns without overstepping their relationships. Bias is ingrained in each and everything these guys do. Calling a spade a spade is something these guys will and can never deploy. After all, its a big business, these motor shows.
Old 10th October 2015, 12:24   #66
BHPian

I voted for any other, which is PowerDrift. I sincerely hope they make it to the telly.

Their camera work is mind blowing. I see a lot of inspired by TopGear camera shots, but in a good way.

Their reviews are great, they cover all bases of the vehicle they're reviewing and their choice of background music is great.

When it comes to international shows it is Top Gear. The 'team test' is the only segment I like in Fifth gear.

Last edited by Shanksta : 10th October 2015 at 12:26.
Old 10th October 2015, 12:29   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Yeah power drift shooting and editing is stupendous...
I remember this being mentioned by someone in the polo review.
Check this one too at 01:52
The way the camera, music and car moves in tandem is pure treat to the senses.
Old 10th October 2015, 13:14   #68
BHPian

Hello Shyn, here is a response from our friends over at Powerdrift. Satyen is not a member so I am posting on his behalf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
Just my two cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyen Poojary
And why are our anchors the worst in the Industry? Because of what they think as our 'fake' accents? Or our attempt to make auto palatable to all? PowerDrift too began from communities like xBhp team-Bhp and does not have a poster boy on our show. Instead these are average next door enthusiast who are also ex racers, tuners, builders, and heck even engineers and ofcourse people with a little bit of riding experience otherwise too . We certainly do not 'need' one of the big names as mentioned but we could certainly do with a lot more constructive feedback, and ofcourse if there is avid enthusiast out there who is lesser camera shy then us, hit me up at satyen@powerdrift.com

My thoughts on the overall discussion:
Each show/anchor being discussed here serves a specific purpose. If you really want to choose your next car, there is Renuka and Karthikey who (in a boring way, IMO) go over each and every detail on their reviews, but in a mechanical manner.

Schumi and Bert bring some perspective and heart into the review alongwith the required no. of details.

SVP is absolutely thanda, but easy to comprehend for the lesser informed non enthusiasts.

But the guys at Powerdrift appeal to the heartstrings of the more informed, covering bases which others might not, but missing out on details which an under informed viewer may find more useful.

I would say, each one has their own target audience and I am happy that one size doesn't fit all.
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 14:28   #69
BHPian

Not to be cheesy, but what better show does one need, than a clean one like Team-BHP ? Its even ON 24 x 7, with members & moderators active. Experts are happy to put in SO much effort & clinically dissect the value in car specifications, almost at all times when they see us struggle!

Outside of our scene here, impactful car shows by PowerDrift are sharply scripted. Even IMO their hosts do fall short at the delivery of those scripts. One doesn't need Big Names, but just decently passionate presenters who've the urge to present their views to the consumers.

Anyway, to me (just IMPO) its all advertising (whichever auto-show). And justifiably so, because when the corporate pays, corporate interest is served, when the public pays, public interest is served*.
(*Borrowed line, inspired / learnt from online journos)

I'm not saying its right to pose as reviewer who's got public interest in mind but actually does otherwise, I'm just saying its justified because we're NOT directly paying for our News.

Heck, we aren't even paying Team-BHP ! It costs precious money to host our opinions online through such expensive vBulletin based forum. Luckily for us, people like Rushabh are managing to protect propriety. Not just that, our forum has rules so we're protected.

The existence of this forum in this form makes me feel like there are some things money just can't buy.

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 10th October 2015 at 14:36. Reason: Spelling mistake
WorkingGuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 17:34   #70
Senior - BHPian

Automobile shows on Indian TV: Your choice and why

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Hello Shyn, here is a response from our friends over at Powerdrift. Satyen is not a member so I am posting on his behalf.

Like the old adage goes, "opinions are like nipples, everybody has them". What I said above was just my own personal opinion. That's how I feel about PowerDrift and their presenters. I do love the show for their shooting and editing skills. Hell, I would even vote it among one of the best shows on this planet! But like I said, it is the presenters that ruin it for me.

I understand they are all passionate people who think they are presenting a nice show for our janta, but so do most of our not-so-good Filmi actors.

If only PowerDrift gets some good (read: presentable, eloquent, funny) anchors, they can make it big Internationally!

When Ten Hut and Sarge speak, it shows that they are trying to put an effort. Acting is making it look effortless and natural. And they should accept and admit that not everybody is good at it.

Again, just my own opinion, which I am sure I am entitled to being a free man in a free country.

Last edited by shyn : 10th October 2015 at 17:36.
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 20:32   #71
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Autocar show now on ETNow! I guess they have ditched Top Speed since it hasn't been airing for past 2-3 weeks.

Automobile shows on Indian TV: Your choice and why-shot2015120918741oi9ax0.jpeg
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 21:09   #72
Senior - BHPian

Not choosing any particular car show. IMO I feel all these TV/print media auto shows/reviews/road tests are rigged/staged. Especially the format which compares 2/3 models from various makers and picks winners, it is so scripted and biased, we know from within 1 minute of the show which car will be declared winner, mostly it is the newest car in the market, whose makers are hungry for sales.
Secondly almost all the anchors/experts are more showmen/women than automobile experts. Some of them don't seem to know the basic parts of a car, I wonder what they review exactly. Also the format is so jaded, I mean what is the point of comparing 0-100 kmph in commuter bikes or SUV whose application is different? Or taking SUVs across bends and then complaining about body roll. Or taking D segment sedans across broken patches and then complaining about stiff rides, the list goes on. The road tests are not conducted on uniform surfaces, not on protected or enclosed segments, and some tv shows show anchors riding bikes without proper gear even.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 09:18   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post

Autocar show now on ETNow!
Thank you for sharing that PPS.

Autocar is not like my favourite Auto show of all times, but IMO this really delivers the message across in one of the most professional manner, especially on Indian cars & Auto-market.

I have been following this from couple of years now and wondered why they stopped this and replaced it with some dumb show called 'Auto Show' or something, hosted by a dumber host

I hope Autocar restart their series in earnest and don't get replaced by some jerk wannabes !!
Old 20th February 2016, 17:45   #74
Team-BHP Support

Lot of positive comments for powerdrift, and I agree- they've been one of my favorite shows after the good old top gear. But this one video just takes it to the next level-

The BGM, the direction, the stunts everything just comes together to create magic IMO. I haven't felt addicted to one particular video like this ever since the original Safari 'reclaim your life' ad. Worth a watch guys, have a look.
Old 21st May 2019, 18:25   #75
Team-BHP Support

Waking up an old thread. I was surprised to see Schumi in the latest powerdrift video for the hero x pulse. Seems he might have moved from overdrive to powerdrift perhaps? Although haven’t read anything formal to that effect.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks