Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munish myetios View Post

I am waiting for three more recalls-
Recall 1 - Cabin Noise from road and engine.
Recall 2 - Engine Noise inside the cabin.
Recall 3 - Engine Vibration inside the passenger cabin..
Give some wisdom to Toyota.
I respect Toyota in that they learnt from their experience in the US and are proactively recalling and replacing defective components. It builds trust and confidence. I can't think of a single car manufacturer who builds cars where all parts are at their optimium from the first rollout. There are still some issues that come to light during the ownership life.

Munish, I hear you too, but werent these things apparent during the test drive? Before reading up on the Etios, the first test drive I took made it clear that its not the car for me due to the noise factor inside the cabin and the overall fit and feel.

I value the pure driving experience more than the ruggedness, reliability, ease of maintenance and low cost of ownership which appear to be the design considerations of the Etios. I'm prepared to pay a little bit more in time and money for that over the lifecycle of the car.

I feel Toyota has a brilliant product in Etios that is great for the Indian market and that will be apparent maybe 13/15 years later when we see trouble free etios running happily on our roads. Less points of failure, simple design, preparedness to do proactive replacement of defective parts - surely a winner in terms of longevity
dingolphie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:38   #17
BHPian

Guys, this is what i read in Times of India today:

"With this recall, Toyota joins companies like Honda, Maruti Suzuki and Skoda in India, all of who had to call back vehicles to fix faulty parts. Maruti had in April recalled 13,157 units of diesel cars manufactured between November 13 and December 4 in 2010, to inspect a defective part. That followed a similar move of February last year when it recalled more than 100,000 units of its small car A-Star to replace a defective part in the fuel tank."

So, we can see that recalls are not a new phenomenon. Also, it proves that the manufacturer is brave enough to accept the mistake and correct it.
mayank10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Most of the recalls increases my confidence on the manufacturer (i can see folks raising eyebrows), as i believe no engineering process is perfect and there are bound to be some defect seepage sometimes. Its only safer and better for the customers if manufacturers let customers know that they have found the problem themselves and take proactive actions to fix them rather then brushing them under the carpet.

Only problem with this recall, i have a sense of feeling that this is not the only problem with the cheapest Toyota.
I agree with you Mayank . But there ought to a differentiating factor between serving a half-baked product and recalls for fixing some minor technical snags. I would feel un-easy about the company who recalls cars for lets say brake upgrades.
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
For some reason, Munish is trying his ever best to put Toyota in bad light. Dude if you are not happy with the car sell it and move on instead of cribbing on the forum. Its does not get you any value either monetary or non monetary. Get a life dude.

The forum is losing its shine because of these sort of mud slinging.
I completely disagree with you nkrishnap. Why should the forum lose its shine if someone is just airing his grievances? Is this not a forum for good debates & constructive criticism? There are many folks who cannot digest any sort of criticism of their cars, in which they have invested their hard earned money. We should rather appreciate Munish for not defending his purchasing decision. He might have relied too much on the "Q Class" campaign of Toyota, but then that is the very reason why he is so dissatisfied.
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank10 View Post
Guys, this is what i read in Times of India today:

"With this recall, Toyota joins companies like Honda, Maruti Suzuki and Skoda in India, all of who had to call back vehicles to fix faulty parts. Maruti had in April recalled 13,157 units of diesel cars manufactured between November 13 and December 4 in 2010, to inspect a defective part. That followed a similar move of February last year when it recalled more than 100,000 units of its small car A-Star to replace a defective part in the fuel tank."

So, we can see that recalls are not a new phenomenon. Also, it proves that the manufacturer is brave enough to accept the mistake and correct it.
Sorry a little

The newspaper articles can be really vague in reporting. I mean what does "to inspect a defective part" mean . Does that mean MSIL think there is a defective part in the car and need to figure out which? The second part about A-Star is a little better , atleast they say it is some part in fuel tank which needs replacement, lord knows which part, it can be anywhere from whole tank and fuel delivery system itself or a rubber part which holds the fuel cap.

I somehow disagree with the concept of human errors when designing or machining parts in the car. I mean now-a-days cars prior to launch are run around in different conditions and on-road for close to lakh kilometers and there are probably a 20-30 test mules for each models. Can't design problems be caught earlier. Secondly some cars we get in India are previous gen cars available throughout the world so are they not rigorousness tested earlier.
The lakh km testing I feel is mostly targeted at getting speed / efficiency numbers and not getting niggles out.

Again this is my personal opinion and not against any manufacturer.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd December 2011 at 14:25. Reason: Merging post
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:42   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
For some reason, Munish is trying his ever best to put Toyota in bad light. Dude if you are not happy with the car sell it and move on instead of cribbing on the forum. Its does not get you any value either monetary or non monetary.
Easier said than done. Sell and move on. What happens to the hard earned money? Who will bear the losses? Not you, not me, not toyota.

If somebody buys an etios, it is mostly because of the toyota name which seems to epitomise quality. No one buys it for its interiors/exteriors/perfomance. So when the quality aspect is suspect, what peace of mind does one get?

Its very easy to blame others but as long as the reason is valid, I think munish is totally justified in 'mud slinging' though i would have used the word 'blaming'.
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:26   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Easier said than done. Sell and move on. What happens to the hard earned money? Who will bear the losses? Not you, not me, not toyota.

If somebody buys an etios, it is mostly because of the toyota name which seems to epitomise quality. No one buys it for its interiors/exteriors/perfomance. So when the quality aspect is suspect, what peace of mind does one get?

Its very easy to blame others but as long as the reason is valid, I think munish is totally justified in 'mud slinging' though i would have used the word 'blaming'.
I agree that quality should be guaranteed and I also agree that Toyota should be doing a lot better.

My contention is on what is called bad quality.

I wouldnt call the level of road noise an issue with quality. More of a characteristic.

Are there any issues with leaks of water into the cabin/the doors not shutting etc? In my opinion, if something breaks or is not working, thats bad quality.

But road noise/fit and finish etc, should be punished before purchase by not buying rather than afterwards unless there's a deterioration. True its a Toyota, but even if its a Ferrari, I'd check it out first to make sure its upto my expecation

D
dingolphie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:13   #23
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
I would feel un-easy about the company who recalls cars for lets say brake upgrades.
Toyota never said it is recalling fortuner's in India , but it quietly changed the brake pads in all the initial batch of fortuner's after 60-70% of the owners complained of poor brakes.
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:26   #24
BHPian

I request Etios owners on T-BHP to be present during the service to see what they actually are replacing. Only filter hose or also other things as well. Often recalls mention only one issue and actually work on multiple issues.

Though I take those recalls as a negative impact on company's image but I applaud Toyota for recalling Etios and Liva in this age where other manufacturers simply conceal problems (for example, Hyundai i20's steering problem).
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:34   #25
BHPian

I agree with earlier posts that its a good move from toyota's front tor recall vehicles. Imagine someone oblivious to the defect can run in to serious mishap and it might even become a matter of life and death. Being from business side, I am aware that there are times when some product strategies go wrong and this might come out typically the case with toyota if at all it does carry the reported problems. As a customer, you should ask for your right and I believe that whatever I know about the company, it will try and resolve your problems. Personally I believe you are not the typical Etios customer toyota had in mind as i know a lot of happy etios owners Best of luck with your car and hope all your problems get resolved at the earliest
subodh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:08   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Toyota never said it is recalling fortuner's in India , but it quietly changed the brake pads in all the initial batch of fortuner's after 60-70% of the owners complained of poor brakes.
Exactly my point something as important as a brake pads replacement is not considered a major recall and is done quietly all under wraps and something more trivial , like one in discussion, is done with lots of band-bajaa, called a replacement and we are made to believe Toyota is making a honest effort of improving quality and accepting its shortcoming showing a big heart etc etc.

As I posted earlier regarding pre-launch testing , brakes not upto the mark can be easily detected on the test mules you do not need 60% owners crying foul over it.
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh man, this is surprising. I thought Toyota's were open with all their recalls and did not change parts secretly. This shows that even Toyota is not transparent in their dealings. Good piece of info.

BTW, what is the aberration like? I am not able to view the link provided in the OP.

Spike
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:00   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Exactly my point something as important as a brake pads replacement is not considered a major recall and is done quietly all under wraps and something more trivial , like one in discussion, is done with lots of band-bajaa, called a replacement and we are made to believe Toyota is making a honest effort of improving quality and accepting its shortcoming showing a big heart etc etc.

As I posted earlier regarding pre-launch testing , brakes not upto the mark can be easily detected on the test mules you do not need 60% owners crying foul over it.
I agree vikant but I guess it might also be because Etios is a mass product while fortuner was not supposed to be a mass product. This also acts as an advertisement of both the product and the company. Its a PR exercise that toyota has done with the Ad in paper
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:01   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Oh man, this is surprising. I thought Toyota's were open with all their recalls and did not change parts secretly. This shows that even Toyota is not transparent in their dealings. Good piece of info.
Well its not just toyota but almost all the manufacturers would never tell the real problem, every recall would normally happen for innocuous looking items but I am more than 100% sure that recalls happen to take care of bigger problem ensuring there is no Big Consumer litigation happens against the company which can lead not just to litigation cost but can lead to huge penalties as well.

In nut shell, if some one says 'innocuous recall', I read it 'something really big that can get company in troubles'

Last edited by anu21v : 23rd December 2011 at 15:02.
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Calling Fortuner for brake problems would have definitely bad for Toyota's image. So that was done secretly but calling Etios/Liva for filter hose is good for Toyota image. So, Toyota is not very honest in recalling its cars, at least in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Though I take those recalls as a negative impact on company's image but I applaud Toyota for recalling Etios and Liva in this age where other manufacturers simply conceal problems (for example, Hyundai i20's steering problem).
May be Hyundai is still trying to find the solution, when they find it in (may be in 2014), they might recall all i20s sold till then.

Most Viewed