Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2011, 14:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Yes I am a Toyota Fan but that doesn't make me against Tata. Tata is honestly far behind Toyota's standards Sir. People don't criticize Tata for just one small niggle here and there. But a fairly significant proportion of there cars develop some issue or the other. The same is not true with Toyota or Honda or Maruti. I hope you understand what I am trying to say here.
Now I see no difference between Tata and Toyota, since in your own words, both do not make perfect cars from day one. As for Tata being far behind Toyota, I think it is far ahead of Toyota in that it has improved car-making at a rate faster than Toyota which have been making cars since ice-age and still haven't got it right in first go. Then what is all this fuss about Toyota?

I can see how big a Toyota fan you are. But ask any non-Toyota-fan and most say yuck about Etios/Liva. Swift/Jazz look million times better. In fact in their Inida line-up only Fortuner looks good. And to some extent, Altis. BTW, I do not own Tata cars. I own a Lancer and an A-Star AT. But I do not jump in to defend these brands everytime someone says something against them, like you so vehemently do.
Old 24th December 2011, 15:03   #47
BHPian

Some more pics

Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.-img00044201112241016.jpg

Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.-img00043201112240959.jpg

Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.-img00040201112240951.jpg

Last edited by heman_369 : 24th December 2011 at 15:06.
Old 24th December 2011, 16:12   #48
BHPian

One thing is for sure that the recall in only limited to Fuel tank cut & bruises issue and there are no other issues.

What can i see in the third picture is a TATA brand battery in Toyota ?

heman_369 can you confirm the same or its just some different Brand ?

Note: Just asking out of curiosity no intention to compare TATA vs TOYOTA
Old 24th December 2011, 18:58   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
One thing is for sure that the recall in only limited to Fuel tank cut & bruises issue and there are no other issues.

What can i see in the third picture is a TATA brand battery in Toyota ?

heman_369 can you confirm the same or its just some different Brand ?

Note: Just asking out of curiosity no intention to compare TATA vs TOYOTA
Bang on...yes its a tata green battery within a Toyota.....
Old 24th December 2011, 19:30   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
As for Tata being far behind Toyota, I think it is far ahead of Toyota in that it has improved car-making at a rate faster than Toyota which have been making cars since ice-age and still haven't got it right in first go. Then what is all this fuss about Toyota?
Thats a very valid point and a good way of looking at it. As a customer I wish they keep up at it and deliver rock solid cars.

Quote:
I can see how big a Toyota fan you are. But ask any non-Toyota-fan and most say yuck about Etios/Liva. Swift/Jazz look million times better. In fact in their Inida line-up only Fortuner looks good. And to some extent, Altis.
Did I ever say Etios or Liva is a good looking car? Where did that come from? No Sir I hate them to the core in terms of looks and design. Will I buy it? No because I will never be able to digest the central console and the likes. But since when did looks started deciding capabilities of cars?

Quote:
BTW, I do not own Tata cars. I own a Lancer and an A-Star AT. But I do not jump in to defend these brands everytime someone says something against them, like you so vehemently do.
This is not done. Read your first post which I quoted. You brought in the Tata reference ( which you are free to do) and gave your point. Appreciated. I read your point and gave mine. How does it suddenly become a war crime and I become a blind Toyota fan boy and you automatically by that standard an armchair critic? And why is it so necessary to only speak about cars which we own? Cars are costly and one can experience and own only so many of them. But forming an opinion based on your perceptions is not allowed or what?

All I tried to convey is that everybody makes mistakes. Some more then others. They found something faulty and are calling in those cars and I appreciate that. Why do you need to label me as a fan boy for that? Not that I don't like Toyota but because by saying that you down value my opinion. Think about it.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 19:33   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank10 View Post
Have you ever seen a broken down Toyota?

Well, before you kill me, let me accept that it is not my statement. Your last statement reminded me of that famous Toyota commercial (Came almost 5-6 years back). Just to feel good, you can visit the link below:
I have not seen Angelina Jolie in real - Does that mean she does not exist? Of course not right? Jokes apart..What I am trying to say that whoever faced the problem with his/her ETIOS - What problem did they face? Did their car break down? Did they get very bad FE? Did they face problem with the car's acceleration? I just want to know what a problem in a filler hose can cause. A problem in the filler hose might be the root cause but then there must have been some symptoms which would have led to the problem in the hose right?
Old 24th December 2011, 19:56   #52
BANNED

Hi heman_369 ,
Can u confirm what is the small hose about (one with the orange stripe at the end). When I for a checkup they showed me only the big hose in the picture.
Thanks.
Old 24th December 2011, 20:35   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I have not seen Angelina Jolie in real - Does that mean she does not exist? Of course not right? Jokes apart..What I am trying to say that whoever faced the problem with his/her ETIOS - What problem did they face? Did their car break down? Did they get very bad FE? Did they face problem with the car's acceleration? I just want to know what a problem in a filler hose can cause. A problem in the filler hose might be the root cause but then there must have been some symptoms which would have led to the problem in the hose right?
Got the hose replaced today. Took about 30 mins to get the things done.

By the way on probing, there was instance of a hit on this hose and there was a minor leakage from this hose. However, the one in my car looked perfectly alright, but the new one looked better. So no complains.

I have not faced any breakdown on this Toyota yet. Neighter am I too worried about breakdown, the fundamentals in the car are still very strong and some people still cant digest this fact. The only grouse I have is the color attracts loads of dust and Bangalore has become very dusty and this is just keeping me busy.

Anyways, now people will call me fanboy and I will not bother, because I dont want to force my opinion on somebody else.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 21:37   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilmonkey View Post
Hi heman_369 ,
Can u confirm what is the small hose about (one with the orange stripe at the end). When I for a checkup they showed me only the big hose in the picture.
Thanks.
The bigger black one is the filler hose. The orange smaller one is the breather hose. When the SM got the part from sealed bag it contained both the hoses.
Old 24th December 2011, 22:46   #55
BHPian

Had taken an appointment for Special Service Campaign for today. While taking the appointment, I was informed that it would take ~3 hours for the service. When pressed that Toyota notification mentioned only 45 minutes, SA told me that they would like to give car a complimentary cleaning and wash before handing over. So I asked for a free pickup and delivery. Today the car was picked up and delivered back after the requisite replacement and cleaning+wash.

I did not have any intention of snooping in the service, as I did not expect Toyota to carry out a secretive job for a well-published activity. And if there was any doubt, I thank heman369 for putting it to rest with excellent details of the job.

With this recall, I wonder if Toyota is also making a statement that there is nothing that Toyota admits is functionally wrong with the car that needs to be changed / upgraded, at least for the time being. Else it would have had utilized this opportunity for the purpose.
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2011, 07:48   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Then it becomes a cat and mouse game to check here and check there, whether you got the recall or not.
lol, the cat and mouse statement is spot on, usually if the replacement isn't clear the dealers play dirty game and not change everything that is specified and you end up going someplace else to check if you got the full updates.

Tata gets the honors of doing this first, in 2000/2001 when they changed the tie rods in Indicas so as the tyre degradation is uniform. It was easy to get this done as i knew what all parts were being changed and could go and watch them getting changed/fixed.
Old 26th December 2011, 17:20   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munish myetios View Post
Toyota ETIOS Recall - First in India

ETIOS is very costly at the price being charged and the plain interiors, poor performance, extremely low mileage, higher NVH Noise, vibration and harshness and above all absence of weather gaskets on all 4 doors.

Aberration in the filter hose of Toyota ETIOS and Toyota ETIOS Liva has started in the first year of ETIOS existence in the world. The service camp to call the vehicles produced before OCTOBER 2011.
Read the article
:: Loading ::
Hi Munish. I have been following your posts for a while. It is unfortunate that you are dissatisfied with your purchase and you get low mileage (apart from the other negatives). I too started getting only 9 kmpl in city and 12 kmpl in highway for the first 3000 kms. It was only after the Odo crossed 3000 kms, I started getting 11 kmpl in city and around 14-15 kmpl in highways. Even this mileage is not gr8 considering the light weight of Etios sedan that is lighter than most hatchbacks. Let us hope this part replacement help improve the mileage very significantly. Stay hopeful

Btw, what is your odo reading now?

On NVH factor, it is worth trying 3M underbody coating as I had done this on my car even before taking delivery based on the advice of fellow BHPians. My car is very quiet at low city speeds. While my car is not exactly whisper-quiet at very high speeds (100+ kmph), the noise levels at high speeds is not at all unpleasant. Harshness and vibration has never been an issue in my car. One more tip I followed was to install the luggage tray in the boot to dampen the noise levels further down.
amateurpro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 19:23   #58
BHPian

I have booked a service appointment for Wednesday, 28th. Will be posting the experience soon.
Earlier, the dealer had informed me that my vehicle was not eligible for the service, but this was sorted out as they realized that my Liva was a Petrol and not a diesel.
Old 28th December 2011, 13:11   #59
BHPian

My car had been picked up today by Toyota dealer for the part replacement. I heard that the job is completed and the car will be sent back home anytime now.
Old 28th December 2011, 19:33   #60
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

I took my car today to the service centre in the morning. Apart from the fuel hose kit replacement, there was a minor issue that i reported to them.
On the left side of the dashboard, there was a rattling sound coming in on bumpy roads. I had noticed this sometime this month and thought of reporting the same.

Service adviser (SA) @ Nippon Toyota Trivandrum received the vehicle and took the car for a test drive, along with another service engineer. I was with them during the ride and they did acknowledge that the rattle was there on bumpy roads.

After the drive, he reported the issue to the team and they took the vehicle for the necessary service. I had also asked the SA for a touch up paint job for a small scratch on the front bumper. He did include that as well in the invoice and told me that it will take 3-4 hours for the entire effort and they will call me once it is done. He also informed me that a complimentary wash is also included in this campaign, and i nodded with a .

I went to the centre again at 4 pm to receive the vehicle. SA explained me what all has been done, apart from the part repair. I checked for the rattle, it did not exist anymore. and paint job was done (It was not great, but i had expected just a touch up, and it was OK). So, after checking everything, i filled up the feedback form, took the keys and said good bye!

The entire service cost me Rs 0, and it was indeed a Q class experience!
I have not experienced Maruti's service, but i just wonder if there can be anything better than this (No, i am not getting any freebies from Toyota for this statement).

Most Viewed