Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2011, 19:47   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
One thing is for sure that the recall in only limited to Fuel tank cut & bruises issue and there are no other issues.

What can i see in the third picture is a TATA brand battery in Toyota ?

heman_369 can you confirm the same or its just some different Brand ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
Bang on...yes its a tata green battery within a Toyota.....
Nothing wrong guys, this is possible. For e.g. Tata Toyo makes radiators, condensers for many companies.

As long as the sub / vendors provide the parts with Engineering specifications, it does not matter whether it comes from Tata or XYZ company.

Spike
Old 28th December 2011, 22:41   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank10 View Post
Dear BHPians,

The entire service cost me Rs 0, and it was indeed a Q class experience!
I have not experienced Maruti's service, but i just wonder if there can be anything better than this (No, i am not getting any freebies from Toyota for this statement).

Agreed 100% Mayank on Toyota service being Q class. Though I get to interact primarily with dealer staff (only is more apt), almost all of them are sincere, courteous, knowledgable and well trained.

Btw, I did not go to showroom for this exercise but the dealer had organised a pick-up and drop of my vehicle. The invoice at zero value involved the following components. Is it the same for all?

Labour charges

Hose activity - Vehicle cleaning
Filler & breather hose - R&R

Part charges

Fuel hose kit

I took the vehicle out for a short trip in the evening and felt very good. On second thoughts, I wonder if I felt good because of the vehicle wash or the filler hose replacment . Looks more like the former.
Old 28th December 2011, 23:51   #63
BHPian

Even the Ford Fiesta does not have weather gaskits on all four doors. Mine is a 2009 Limited edition and there are no ddor gaskits, earlier versions had gaskits. But nobody seems to be cribbing on it, these are obvious signs of cost cutting and yes i have the same problem as the Etios owners face after a rain shower or a car wash the water stands on the door sills and dust settles in there. But i have not seen a single Ford customer complain about it.
vikramv007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 23:54   #64
BHPian

Even Volkswagen replaced the clutch hose on the ventos but it was all done under cover and no recall was issued
vikramv007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 00:00   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
Agreed 100% Mayank on Toyota service being Q class. Though I get to interact primarily with dealer staff (only is more apt), almost all of them are sincere, courteous, knowledgable and well trained.

Btw, I did not go to showroom for this exercise but the dealer had organised a pick-up and drop of my vehicle. The invoice at zero value involved the following components. Is it the same for all?

Labour charges

Part charges

Fuel hose kit

I took the vehicle out for a short trip in the evening and felt very good. On second thoughts, I wonder if I felt good because of the vehicle wash or the filler hose replacment . Looks more like the former.
Yes buddy, the invoice was the same for me too. Since the showroom is a mere 200 mts. frm my home, there was no need for a pick up/ drop. Its good to walk this much

Even i felt great after the service, since there was no unpleasant dash sound (Was rectified), and the car was looking as good as new after the wash. In-fact, when i was discussing with the SA after the service, I overheard a family mentioning that how good blue looks on Liva, when it was parked among other new cars. . They were there to take delivery of their brand new Liva!

There seems to be a very good demand of the Etios siblings here, as there was huge rush in the evening, with many deliveries scheduled.

Probably some lucrative December offers???
Old 29th December 2011, 09:36   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank10 View Post
There seems to be a very good demand of the Etios siblings here, as there was huge rush in the evening, with many deliveries scheduled.

Probably some lucrative December offers???
I am not sure about specific Dec offers, Mayank. But I heard that TKM has been offering some good discounts on petrol versions of Etios and Liva for some time. I was not so lucky as I picked up mine at MRP in July. If only I had waited a few months....

Old 29th December 2011, 09:44   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv007 View Post
Even the Ford Fiesta does not have weather gaskits on all four doors. Mine is a 2009 Limited edition and there are no ddor gaskits, earlier versions had gaskits. But nobody seems to be cribbing on it, these are obvious signs of cost cutting and yes i have the same problem as the Etios owners face after a rain shower or a car wash the water stands on the door sills and dust settles in there. But i have not seen a single Ford customer complain about it.
U r right on that. Few things are "good to have, but ok even if u dont have".

I am an admirer of old Ford Fiesta (now called Classic) as a total package (looks, performance, reliability etc.. -though I never owned one). How do you find the new Ford Fiesta? Somehow my heart and mind prefers the Classic over New. Old age, may be.
amateurpro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 11:51   #68
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure about specific Dec offers, Mayank. But I heard that TKM has been offering some good discounts on petrol versions of Etios and Liva for some time. I was not so lucky as I picked up mine at MRP in July. If only I had waited a few months....

Yes, there was a free insurance offer sometime back on petrol siblings. But its ok even if we missed it (I too booked my vehicle in July) as it makes us the first Liva owners in the Country!

Diesel versions, on the other hand, are selling like hotcakes even without discounts. Thanks to the govt. pricing policy
Old 29th December 2011, 14:29   #69
BHPian

Quote:

Labour charges

Part charges

Fuel hose kit

Yes,
Even my invoice is the same. The complementary car wash and cleaning is sure a Q class touch.
The guys at DSK toyota, right from the SA, SM and the managers along with petty staff are very well trained and thorughly professional without missing the human element.
heman_369 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 15:31   #70
Senior - BHPian

Due to short time on hand while in Pune and inability to take prior appointment, we had to walk-in into DSK Bawdhan Workshop. However, the Service Department happily and swiftly attended to the Service Campaign for our Etios without making us wait for more than 10 mins at the workstation. The entire process took from 10:45 AM to 12:15 PM, about 1.5 hrs.

The specifically appointed SAs for this Fuel Hose campaign immediately came forwards and the Job Card opened and forwarded to the Shop floor. Specially to mention were Kishore, the SA at shop floor who attended personally from entry to the completion, Hrishikesh Telvekar and Balasaheb Olekar (from Hadapsar) from Body&Paint department deputed to handle these customers additionally. All the staff being amazingly cordial and understood our hurry very well as I had told them I need to rush back to Mumbai in afternoon.

As got to understand while discussions with these very well trained people, the problem seemed to detected in only one Etios in Delhi, where some cuts and bruises were seen on the Fuel inlet and Air outlet Hoses leading to the fuel tank. This was reported to Toyota and Toyota sensed that something like that should not happen or occur. Hence they decided to replace it for all Etios and Liva petrol upto 8 Oct which have the hoses from a particular manufacturer. After this batch the hoses are said to be from other manufacturer. So instead of waiting for any likelihood of any incident, Toyota decided to replace it for all these Etios and Liva falling in that certain duration and VIN range.

Day before yesterday, I had made a call regarding the same to enquire and the SA had only asked out Reg No, he then quickly retrieved our VIN and confirmed last 5 characters of the VIN and informed that the VIN falls in the range for replacement and we should get it replaced whenever we want and can even from a closest dealer even upto a couple of years down the line, but not necessarily immediately.

The process as it took:

1. Connecting the ECT Active Test device at the socket below the H/L leveller under the panel and taking control of the car control.

Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.-29122011117950pc.jpg

2. The Fuel Control function is started so that it can be pumped out and emptied.

Our car had to be tanked up yesterday night as ours was indicating Fuel Fill with blinking last bar late at 11 PM. Hence there was need to empty it to atleast to the level of 3 bars on Fuel Meter.

NOTE: PLS TAKE ABOVE TO BE A CAUTION TO ANYBODY GOING FOR THIS SERVICE. YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR TANK NEAR EMPTY OR WITH LOW FUEL SO THAT THE FUEL HOSES CAN BE REMOVED. Also, the Fuel Draining is a pretty slow process and eats a lot of time. IN FACT EVEN THE SAs have made a note of this in their recordings so that they can intimate the customers calling in for this service.

Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.-29122011118150pc.jpg

3. Fuel being emptied from the hose end at the engine. Note, there is no way the tank can be emptied from the Fuel Filling end, you will probably need to suck it out with a suction pump.

Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.-29122011118450pc.jpg

4. Fuel being emptied into a portable Fuel Tank.

Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.-29122011118350pc.jpg

5. Once the fuel is down to 3 level bars, the ECT device Fuel Control is switched OFF.

Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.-29122011118650pc.jpg

6. Fuel Hoses to be replaced.

Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.-29122011119050pc.jpg

7. Old Fuel Hoses removed.

Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.-29122011119350pc.jpg

8. Old Set of Fuel Hoses removed. No Damage seen to them at all, absolutely like new except for the dirt and grease deposits externally.
The Black one is the main fuel inlet into the tank.
The Orange one is the air exit hose from the tank.

Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.-29122011119450pc.jpg

9. Black Hose, the main fuel inlet hose being fitted.

Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.-29122011119550pc.jpg

10. New Set of Fuel Hoses fitting complete.

Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.-29122011119850pc.jpg

The above process eats up about 30 minutes mainly due to the Fuel Emptying process which otherwise is a 10-15 mins work.

Later the car is sent for the wash and clean even without having done any bodily and insternal work and the car is presented for taking delivery all with its shining glory.

Last edited by parsh : 29th December 2011 at 15:38.
parsh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 15:39   #71
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the detailed explanation Parsh. Now it is crystal clear what the exact issue is & how it is being handled by Toyota. Kudos to DSK Toyota for handling this so very smoothly & giving you back that much deserved smile.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 15:47   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks for the detailed explanation Parsh. Now it is crystal clear what the exact issue is & how it is being handled by Toyota. Kudos to DSK Toyota for handling this so very smoothly & giving you back that much deserved smile.
I have personally come to trust DSK Pune whole heartedly due to the experience till date and the complete process they follow without any cut-short. Additionally, when I asked for wish to be present at the shop floor to see the entire process, the SA readily led us there and stood with us explaining all the things and even the technicians did not show any discomfort or any ridiculous look and were all smiles.

But friends, kindly take note of the fuel level while going for this service that will save quite some time for you.

Last edited by parsh : 29th December 2011 at 15:49.
Old 30th December 2011, 12:30   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
I have personally come to trust DSK Pune whole heartedly due to the experience till date and the complete process they follow without any cut-short. Additionally, when I asked for wish to be present at the shop floor to see the entire process, the SA readily led us there and stood with us explaining all the things and even the technicians did not show any discomfort or any ridiculous look and were all smiles.

But friends, kindly take note of the fuel level while going for this service that will save quite some time for you.
Your observation is identical to mine which i posted a few pages ago. Even the time taken was 1.5 hrs for me. The service at DSK Toyota is really top notch. I cant think of any other service station in Pune matching their standards.
Old 31st December 2011, 10:17   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post

7. Old Fuel Hoses removed.

Attachment 861747

Thanks Parsh for the amazing pictures and detailed note.

One small amateurish doubt I have. Is the fuel hose that got replaced was the one that connects the fuel tank lid to the tank OR the tank to the engine? If it was the former, there is very little chance of the hose having liquid petrol anytime (other than while filling). However this area would possibly have petrol vapour that could dissipate slowly if the hose has a bruise or a fault. And if the dissipation is very gradual, we may not even realise it with but this could cause considerable drop in mileage. I am not sure if this poses any fire hazard since the evaporation may be only in trace quantity.

It is still not clear if the said issue with old filler hose could cause fire hazard, low mileage or both. Any dope here?
Old 31st December 2011, 19:43   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parsh for the amazing pictures and detailed note.

1. One small amateurish doubt I have. Is the fuel hose that got replaced was the one that connects the fuel tank lid to the tank OR the tank to the engine?

2. If it was the former, there is very little chance of the hose having liquid petrol anytime (other than while filling). However this area would possibly have petrol vapour that could dissipate slowly if the hose has a bruise or a fault. And if the dissipation is very gradual, we may not even realise it with but this could cause considerable drop in mileage.

3. I am not sure if this poses any fire hazard since the evaporation may be only in trace quantity.

It is still not clear if the said issue with old filler hose could cause fire hazard, low mileage or both. Any dope here?
My pleasure amateurpro.

As per your queries:
1. There is Fuel Lid, then the Metal Hose connecting the Fuel Lid upto near the Tank, then the small Black Rubber Hose that connects this metal hose to the the Fuel Tank.

The entire Hose assembly delivers the fuel from Fuel Lid to the Fuel Tank.

The Black Rubber Hose is the one being replaced. This is only upto the Tank and the one from Tank to Engine.

2. If there are aberrations/bruises/cuts in this hose, then it can lead to the following:
a. leakage while filling fuel
b. additional miniscule amount of fuel vaporization escape

But IMO, this can be very miniscule % unless the cuts are huge, in which case, you are likely to know while filling what the filling damage is.

3. This may lead to
a. lower fuel (by very miniscule %) being delivered to fuel tank and hence lesser fuel for consumption thank purchased and hence lesser FE due to loss of fuel.
b. very unlikely fire as the dissipated fuel will be very miniscule and will more of be evaporated, IMO

IMO The effect of this could be very miniscule on FE and very less likelihood of fire.

Still, it is a big Q, why did Toyota think about changing the Hoses for all the cars. All feedback is here as per the discussion with the SAs.

However, this is a move I would welcome and would greatly appreciate Toyota for thinking this through and replacing for all cars having them from from a certain manufacturing batch/manufacturer. But surely shows Toyota is committed to Q service even for their lowest cost vehicles.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed