Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:25   #1

Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.

Toyota ETIOS Recall - First in India

Toyota ETIOS was launched in India in December 2010.Is this the alarming signal to the other problems being faced in the ETIOS by the owners.Since the ETIOS has been developed on a raw platform and the vehicle was already showing that it is a baby born prematurely. Now when Toyota has also acknowledged one issue after 12 months, definitely there are more problems to be evolved with increasing usage and duration of time of ETIOS. For every Toyota Recall a proper reasoning paper is released to explain the issue and its causes and remedy. Has anyone read that paper released from TKM?

ETIOS is very costly at the price being charged and the plain interiors, poor performance, extremely low mileage, higher NVH Noise, vibration and harshness and above all absence of weather gaskets on all 4 doors.

Aberration in the filter hose of Toyota ETIOS and Toyota ETIOS Liva has started in the first year of ETIOS existence in the world. The service camp to call the vehicles produced before OCTOBER 2011.
Read the article
:: Loading ::
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.-epaper-ht-22.12.2011.jpg  

Munish myetios is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota ETIOS Recall - Aberration in the filter hose.

Most of the recalls increases my confidence on the manufacturer (i can see folks raising eyebrows), as i believe no engineering process is perfect and there are bound to be some defect seepage sometimes. Its only safer and better for the customers if manufacturers let customers know that they have found the problem themselves and take proactive actions to fix them rather then brushing them under the carpet.

Only problem with this recall, i have a sense of feeling that this is not the only problem with the cheapest Toyota.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

OMG, thats bad news. That too for a recently launched car and from Toyota stable. I guess since it was "launched for India" model, the quality was compromised on many aspects as has been highlighted in many Etios threads by owners.

Buts its good that Toyota has come out quicker enough and honestly to replace the suspected part. Etios owners do share your experience.
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post

Most of the recalls increases my confidence on the manufacturer (i can see folks raising eyebrows), as i believe no engineering process is perfect and there are bound to be some defect seepage sometimes. Its only safer and better for the customers if manufacturers let customers know that they have found the problem themselves and take proactive actions to fix them rather then brushing them under the carpet.

Only problem with this recall, i have a sense of feeling that this is not the only problem with the cheapest Toyota.
I couldn't agree more with you mayankjha1806.

Yes, if a manufacturer like Toyota announce a recall, it really shows their committment towards their customers.
Agreed that Toyota have the reputation of being one of the most reliable manufacturers but at the end of the day its only a machine. From my experience with product development companies, I have realized that, no matter how many QCs are carried out prior production, almost always an End User will detect a bug.

On the contrary, I was just wondering would this recall be related to some bigger issue with Etios which Toyota seem to have detected and might fix it on the pretext of a recall ?? I am just expecting the worst and hoping for the best because I know atleast 3 people personally, who have just picked up the "Q Class" steads !!!
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks @Munish.
Will be sharing this with a few Etios owners I know.

I see by your signature & post, your trust in Toyota hasn't improved

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
+1 to this.

The Vento has an issue with the design of the clutch pipe - apparently most of the dealers are either hushing it up when the customers bring it up or if they do change it, it's kept under wraps so as to not inform others. However the problem is more with respect to noise and not performance, I don't see that much of an issue.

I certainly appreciate Toyota's pro-active action out here.

Quote:
+100 to this. However at this point, I would give the benefit of doubt to the company.

Edit : A few more links on the same.
Link 1
Link 2

Last edited by ninjatalli : 22nd December 2011 at 16:15.
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:35   #6
Team-BHP Support

I would prefer a manufacturer who openly announces recalls, rather than secretly changing parts running into almost a lakh with obscure names as "kit 1 retro" etc.,

Then it becomes a cat and mouse game to check here and check there, whether you got the recall or not.
With openness from the mfr, I can go to the service center, and demand the part be changed.
Good job Toyota!
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:04   #7
BHPian

Believe me or not !
For the very first time, these cars were Showcased at AE10, I had an Intuition that this will definitely happen one day to the car considering the type of Quality they're having.
This inturn has Increased the entries to the Recall registers of Toyota, on the same hand increased the respect for Maruti Suzuki in India, considering how they're churning car over car at their manufacturing plants in lakhs of numbers as compared to 3 or 4 digit production figures of their rivals & that's too with Brilliant, flawless engineering backed by excellent Service Centres & Reliability of their products with very very few Recalls(IIRC the first & last one in the last decade was of A-Star fuel pump gasket)
Considering the number of cars they make, sell & problems cropping amongst them can be Ignored by Mathematical/Statistical laws & thus can be called a Perfect Engineering & manufacturing process.
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

CRTorquefan,

Oops, you forgot the Maruti Swift, Ritz and Dzire diesels recall for con rod issue.

If humans engineer it, there might be a niggle or two and there's nothing wrong in owning up before any real damage is done. But Toyota doesn't call it a recall and nor did Honda when it recalled the CBR250R weeks ago. Quite funny to see these manufacturers try to avoid the word "recall".

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:55   #9
BANNED

I got my Liva checked today.As soon I saw this post I went to the Dealership though they told me everything was fine with my car as they checked in their systems.
Its nothing serious.As I have personally checked the Filler Hose.The old one has its part or model number printed and in the new one it is embosed.
If any other Etios or Liva owner knows anything else please let the others know.
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:03   #10
BHPian

Irrespective of the brand name, I respect manufacturers who recall their vehicles. It shows maturity (especially in India) and customer focus. Well done!!
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:46   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

For some reason, Munish is trying his ever best to put Toyota in bad light. Dude if you are not happy with the car sell it and move on instead of cribbing on the forum. Its does not get you any value either monetary or non monetary.

My car is manufactured before 8th October, I'll be going to the A.S.S to have the hose changed and will see how critical the component is it to put your life at risk. To me, it has only reinforced the trust in the brand.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd December 2011 at 11:35. Reason: No need to be so harsh please.
nkrishnap is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:07   #12
BHPian

Well guys, Just out of sheer curiosity i called Toyota helpline 15 mins back to know the details.
I was informed that the current issue was reported in just one car. After the analysis, Toyota Bharat decided to replace the part voluntarily, as the part was not up-to the standards that Toyota maintain!

This replace is very minor and would take not more than one hour. Well, to me, it did not sound anything major and the helpline guy has forwarded my Car's details to the dealer. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to book a service appointment.

Meanwhile, my car belongs to July- August batch and i am eligible for the free replace and service(As told by helpline guy).

P.S. It should not be even slightest of hassle for me, since i live 200 mts. from Trivandrum's Toyota Showroom and I can reach there before hitting fourth gear.
mayank10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:09   #13
Team-BHP Support

Oh boy, recalls already.

As many mentioned in the Honda City recall thread, one cannot say if he should be happy and proud that Toyota is owning up and acting on it or feel cheated or let down that their vehicle has defects.

As it did on that thread, this dilemna doesn't quite have an unanimous conclusion.

Any one with any idea which filter hose this is related to? Potential ill-consequences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
For some reason, Munish is trying his ever best to put Toyota in bad light. Dude if you are not happy with the car sell it and move on instead of cribbing on the forum. Its does not get you any value either monetary or non monetary. Get a life dude.

The forum is losing its shine because of these sort of mud slinging.

My car is manufactured before 8th October, I'll be going to the A.S.S to have the hose changed and will see how critical the component is it to put your life at risk. To me, it has only reinforced the trust in the brand.
Well, to each his own. Everyone has the right to react in the manner they want and one can't expect someone to do so accordingly to how he deems right.

Just FYI, the reactions on the City thread were ugly.
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:28   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with mayankjha, tsk and ninjatalli on this. It's a very mature carmaker who gracefully accepts responsibility for a defect and announces a recall.

Frankly didn't like the tone of the OP: fine the Etios is built to a cost but why should that reflect negatively on Toyota? They are just making their desirable machines a bit more accessible to a larger segment.

Last edited by Amartya : 22nd December 2011 at 22:22. Reason: Please use the Report Post function to draw our attention to issues. Corrected thread title.
noopster is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:54   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
For some reason, Munish is trying his ever best to put Toyota in bad light. Dude if you are not happy with the car sell it and move on instead of cribbing on the forum. Its does not get you any value either monetary or non monetary. Get a life dude.

The forum is losing its shine because of these sort of mud slinging.

If you take my opinion I always trust Tyoota and that is the sole reason that I invested my money into Toyota ETIOS.

I trust Toyota but not Toyota ETIOS Quality. I respect the brand Toyota only and not ETIOS.

Even Toyota tried to resolve individual customer complaints at the dealer outlet hoping that the things will not come out. Even I was asked by the dealer to sell the ETIOS and bear the losses but I will never take the loss of faulty engineering by Toyota Engineers.

This recall is an eyewash there are too many problems in ETIOS. The poor engineering is just being turned into the favor of Toyota by saying that-
Toyota is showing their responsiveness to customer commitment.
Toyota reduced the Quality of its vehicle to be more asessible to indian masses.
benefit of doubt to Toyota? Why? Who's money is being wasted in the experimentation to improve the Quality of Toyota ETIOS?

Jaago Grahak Jaago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am waiting for three more recalls-
Recall 1 - Cabin Noise from road and engine.
Recall 2 - Engine Noise inside the cabin.
Recall 3 - Engine Vibration inside the passenger cabin..
Give some wisdom to Toyota.

Last edited by Amartya : 23rd December 2011 at 05:26. Reason: Back-to-back posts. Merged.
Munish myetios is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks