Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2013, 19:56   #226
BHPian

Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

I have an Innova (2006) G . I can still live with it for a few more years. But I would really like to change the driver's seat with the new, height-adjustable driver's seat found in the 2013 Innova. I feel the height adjust feature will give great flexibility to all the (2-3) family members who use this car.

Has anyone tried doing this? I asked around if it would perfectly fit in the same rails but the local dealer (RK Toyota) could not give a reply with assurance. And help from someone who has done it will be great.
Old 22nd July 2013, 23:31   #227
BANNED

Wanted to ask this more than a year back, but finally getting to it! Has anyone experienced wheel slip in the rear wheels when pulling off in 2nd gear? I only hear the wheels slipping, never seen them myself. However, I do hear them at least once a day.
Old 13th August 2013, 19:30   #228
Senior - BHPian

Well, our story of Innova is not that good at all.

1) First shock was when we got a call for some steering part change. I suspect is was steering yoke which was replaced under warranty. Did not get any docuemnt ( though not sure ) for this. Neither were we given any old part or something. This was after a few months of ownership.

2) Second shock was in the month of Feb 2013. My mom was to get operated for some clot. In the morning of that day, we reached hospital and after reaching hospital, I realized that the left rear wheel was punctured. I did not find any abnormality while driving to hospital. Mom in operation theater and I tried to change the rear wheel. It would just not come off. Called in Toyota helpline, that guy was asking for reg. no., engine no. chassis no. and all as if we have to mug those number up. Got angry and that guy collected details from Narmada Toyota, Vadodara.

All of a sudden, doctor called for 2 bottle of O-ve blood for my mom. Imagine, you have a car which is epitome of reliability and durability which is in front of you and you cant use it because just a wheel wont come off. Rushed home, got Baleno and collected blood from blood bank.

Then the guy roadside assitance had sent turns up. He too could not remove wheel and the car was to be taken to Narmada Toyota service center in a flat bed.
This was real disappointment. The puncture could was not an issue, but the wheel not coming off was the main problem. No point in having an expensive, noisy machine when it wont serve you when you need it the most. All in all, the car failed me when I was having medical emergency in family.

3) Now the door beading mounted in the body are giving away. Shocking! Great Quality Toyota! I am being informed that Rubber parts are not covered under warranty. Wow! But defective parts must be covered.
Our M800 was sold in Apr 2012 after Innova arrived. 20 years and beading never failed.
Baleno is my daily drive, next month it will be 8 years old and 60K kms. No beading failure.
Wagon R, 40K kms. 3 years next month, no beading failure.
Innova, 1.5 years, 20K kms. and beading failure!

I called up Mr. Nikuj at Narmada Toyota, here is how it went through :

Me: Beading are giving away after only 1.5 years. Can I get a warranty replacement.
He: Rubber parts not covered under warranty.
Me: But this is not normal wear and tear.
He: Please read manual, wipers, tyres, etc. not covered as they are rubber parts.
Me: You think that chemical composition of tyres, wipers and beading are same ?
He: Quiet.
Me: I am sure that nothing of that sort is mentioned in manual.
He: Quiet.
Me: now that we have vehicle in hand which is very expensive, I will have to get it repaired, atleast confirm that beading are available on 16 when the car will be with you for service.
He: have you taken appointment ?
Me:Yes, before making a call to you.
He: those who gave appointment must give you this data.

I called up toyota helpline, which was no issue. But after that, I got call again from narmada Toyota:

She: We have received your complaint.
I give all orientation.
She: Rubber parts not covered.
Me: I know, but this seems poor quality beading installed in the first place, which I consider defective part.
She: We will not cover this under warranty.
Me: Give me you email ID, I will send mail, and you reply you cant get this replaced under warranty.
She: Quiet for a few moments, and gave me email ID: cr@narmadatoyota.com.

I sent an email answer to which I have not received any answer as yet.

So much for Toyota quality ? Never will I get cheated again. We have blamed Maruti for poor rubber quality, but believe, atleast in my case, things are better in Maruti.
Please see attached images. Rust issue also observed. Innova was involed in small rear end accident, but never thought that after spending 50K for a repair where even radiator was intact, I will face rust issue. After the small crash, Innova was drivable and only the hood, lights and bumper took hit. Radiator, condenser, all were OK.
Attached Thumbnails
A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift-20130616-10.25.26.jpg  

A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift-20130616-10.27.03.jpg  

A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift-20130616-10.21.40.jpg  

A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift-20130616-10.21.46.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 13th August 2013 at 19:36.
Old 13th August 2013, 21:03   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Well, our story of Innova is not that good at all...

1) First shock...

2) Second shock...

3) Now the door beading mounted...

I sent an email answer to which I have not received any answer as yet.

So much for Toyota quality?

Rust issue also observed.
Sorry to hear your tale. One more realization of Toyota Quality herewith

1) They would not give any replaced parts but could have let you observe upon your persistence to see your vehicle being operated upon. Still it is indigestible that such a part had to be replaced.

2) Unfortunate coincidence. But don't take my words in wrong meaning.
The tyre puncture is purely coincidental. The wheel jams due to rust holding wheel etc and needs quite an effort to take out sometimes and needs to be tried with a sturdy rod/screw driver between wheel holes, lot of force to loosen it. Firsthand experience in middle of nowhere on highway with no help around having to sweat profusely in the scorching heat while the family holds up under some tree shade.

3) Utterly sad quality. My Innova 2005 beading are pretty good still. I am surprised to see such cracks. Raise it to GM, Owner of dealership, Regional-In-Charge, Toyota customer care, and if possible to higher ups persistently.

Rust - how come it is rusting there so soon? Is Toyota paint quality gone down that bad? It took quite a long time for my Innova to develop that kind of rust under bonnet. This rust and paint should be covered under warranty still. If done in accident, the dealership should look at the quality it provides under the name of Toyota. Get it done to proper satisfaction with persistence. Try have direct dialogue with the higher management instead.
Old 13th August 2013, 22:03   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
(2)...I tried to change the rear wheel. It would just not come off. Called in Toyota helpline, that guy was asking for reg. no., engine no. chassis no. and all as if we have to mug those number up. Got angry and that guy collected details from Narmada Toyota, Vadodara.

All of a sudden, doctor called for 2 bottle of O-ve blood for my mom. Imagine, you have a car which is epitome of reliability and durability which is in front of you and you cant use it because just a wheel wont come off. Rushed home, got Baleno and collected blood from blood bank.

Then the guy roadside assitance had sent turns up. He too could not remove wheel and the car was to be taken to Narmada Toyota service center in a flat bed....

3) Now the door beading mounted in the body are giving away. Shocking! Great Quality Toyota! I am being informed that Rubber parts are not covered under warranty. Wow! But defective parts must be covered.
For (2) I am assuming you have alloy wheels. It is quite possible due to dfferential metal corrosion and if you haven't changed that wheel in a while, it might have caused the trouble. Never the less, resources failing when needed most are irksome.

For (3) I'd recommend to write a mail to voc@toyota-kirloskar.co.in please explain the issue, communication with the dealers and why according to you, it must be changed. They are usually very prompt in responding. I know that a copy of the mail goes to the top man as well.

Karp
Old 13th August 2013, 22:23   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Sorry to hear your tale. One more realization of Toyota Quality herewith

Still it is indigestible that such a part had to be replaced.

2) Unfortunate coincidence. But don't take my words in wrong meaning.
The tyre puncture is purely coincidental. The wheel jams due to rust holding wheel etc and needs quite an effort to take out sometimes and needs to be tried with a sturdy rod/screw driver between wheel holes, lot of force to loosen it. Firsthand experience in middle of nowhere on highway with no help around having to sweat profusely in the scorching heat while the family holds up under some tree shade.

3) Utterly sad quality. My Innova 2005 beading are pretty good still. I am surprised to see such cracks. Raise it to GM, Owner of dealership, Regional-In-Charge, Toyota customer care, and if possible to higher ups persistently.

Rust - how come it is rusting there so soon? Is Toyota paint quality gone down that bad? It took quite a long time for my Innova to develop that kind of rust under bonnet. This rust and paint should be covered under warranty still. If done in accident, the dealership should look at the quality it provides under the name of Toyota. Get it done to proper satisfaction with persistence. Try have direct dialogue with the higher management instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
For (2) I am assuming you have alloy wheels. It is quite possible due to dfferential metal corrosion and if you haven't changed that wheel in a while, it might have caused the trouble. Never the less, resources failing when needed most are irksome.

For (3) I'd recommend to write a mail to voc@toyota-kirloskar.co.in please explain the issue, communication with the dealers and why according to you, it must be changed. They are usually very prompt in responding. I know that a copy of the mail goes to the top man as well.

Karp
Thanks for your responses!

1) The car we have is Innova 2.5 VX and we received the car in April 2012. Yes, the one with factory fitted rear camera ( which for me is not of much use, honestly ).

2) The copy of mail that I had earlier sent to cr@narmadatoyota.com and to voc@toyota-kirloskar.co.in:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Goswami,

We acknowledge with thanks for the receipt of your mail.

You will receive a call shortly from us to appraise you on the status of
your concern.

You can also contact us on below mentioned numbers any time.

Regards,
Martin
Customer Relations Division
TOYOTA KIRLOSKAR MOTOR PVT. LTD
Tel.No.: - +91 80 - 6629 3001
Toll Free No.: 1800 425 0001
Fax No.: - +91 80 - 6637 1401
email:- voc@toyota-kirloskar.co.in
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original message

Dear Sir,

We had purchased Toyota Innova 2.5 VX in the month of April 2012 (reg.
No. XX-XX-XXXX). Within 1.5 years of ownership, the door beading are
giving away which can be seen in the attached image. This sort of
problem has never occurred to us whether its a humble old Maruti 800
( Nov 1992 model ) or Maruti Baleno ( Sept 2005 model ). I am amused at
the quality provided in Innova and how come this issue raise its ugly
head in such a short span of time.

I request you to replace the defective door beading as a warranty issue
as its next to impossible for any car adhering to Toyota Quality having
the above mentioned quality issue within 1.5 years of ownership. The
information I have received is that rubber parts are not covered under
warranty which is convincing, but the issue we are facing is without
doubt an issue of poor quality rather than normal wear and tear which
might be applicable for parts like wiper blades. In case you are not
going to treat this issue as a case of warranty, please enlighten me and
give me opportunity to understand how can a part, which is supposed to
meet VERY HIGH QUALITY STANDARD OF TOYOTA, fail like this ?

We had great trust in Toyota Quality when we purchased this car after
reading a lot of reviews, but somehow, the trust is hanging on thin line
based on your honorable call. At the same time, I wish to inform you
that sustaining monetary loss for changing the defective part might be
achieved, but the thin line of trust might be broken in case you take a
stand not to honor defective part replacement. Last but not the least,
can you guarantee that the newly installed beading will not fail
prematurely and might actually stand the test of time ( and the so called
HIGH STANDARD OF TOYOTA PRODUCTS FOR WHICH WE PAY PREMIUM WHILE
PURCHASING THE PRODUCT are also respected ).

Hoping to arrive at a mutually amicable solution without wasting
invaluable resource we know in the name of time. Please let me know your
decision as soon as possible.

regards,

3) I have not received any reply in mail from Narmada Toyota. I had to call them up at 5:45 PM and they said they will reply by 10:00 AM tomorrow. Wow, they speak pretty fast, but wont give in writing their stand.
Lets wait and watch regarding their stand of either honoring or dishonoring warranty. IMHO, beadings are not supposed to fail this quick. This car is parked at our home and then parked at dad's work place. Most of the running in the city. And still this beading and rust issue is making me a bit skeptic about reliability of this car.

I understand that wheel can get stuck, and may be it was my sheer bad luck or co-incidence. But the stuck wheel was discovered at 11:00 AM and finally the car got towed away at 11:00 PM in the night. Yes, along with blood bank, I was also coordinating with Toyota to get assistance!
All this when the car was in the heart of the city, less than 10 kms. from Narmada Toyota.
Old 13th August 2013, 22:56   #232
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, rust has appeared in places where paint peeled off due to the accident. My car got scratched on the left hand side by a passing car and the paint peeled off from just above the rear wheels. This portion has got rusted.
Old 14th August 2013, 11:52   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Innova facelift spied in Indonesia

A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift-grandnewinnovafacelift2013.jpg

A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift-grandnewinnovafacelift20132.jpg

I dont like it

Source

Last edited by karan561 : 14th August 2013 at 11:58.
Old 14th August 2013, 12:05   #234
Senior - BHPian

Suddenly it looks inspired by Force Gurkha! Is this a way to kill a good model before the new generation is launched? what's with the fascination with Chrome :(
Old 14th August 2013, 13:54   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Well this is just a face lift, not sure if it will land in Indian market. The New Innova (or what ever the model will be named) will be completely new model. A transition like from Qualis - Innova.
Old 14th August 2013, 14:28   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Well this is just a face lift, not sure if it will land in Indian market. The New Innova (or what ever the model will be named) will be completely new model. A transition like from Qualis - Innova.
I too have a feeling that it would not be launched here; however, if some of Innova kits are still being imported from Thailand/Indonesia; then we can expect it to be here on our shores! Innova Transform
Old 14th August 2013, 15:01   #237
Senior - BHPian

That has to be the ugliest grill yet on a Toyota. Makes the Innova look like a cheap Chinese rip-off!
Old 14th August 2013, 15:10   #238
Senior - BHPian

If that's the new 2013 facelift, sorry, I don't want a close look at it.
Old 14th August 2013, 15:28   #239
BHPian

2013 Innova Facelift is surely arriving.

I was about to book Innova VX 7 seater model (last week) when a little birdie (trusted person from the dealership who had offered me test drive) told me to wait for a month or two because facelifted Innova is going to be launched by Dussehra in India.

So surely it is coming.

Changes he told me will be exterior looks, some interior bits and equipment level. Only thing they are not changing is the engine.

We can comment only when clearer pics emerge.

Thanks.
Old 14th August 2013, 17:35   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Innova facelift spied in Indonesia
And now we have a pic of the rear too;

A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift-toyotainnovafaceliftrear.jpg

Image Source

Closed Thread

Most Viewed