Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2011, 17:45   #16
BHPian

Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

^^ Yes, the existing Innova and Fortuner are also similar. But I find it quite wierd, strange and frustrating that the similarity continues in the facelift.

Last edited by benzinblut : 23rd December 2011 at 17:48.
Old 23rd December 2011, 17:53   #17
BHPian

Looks like a supply-chain optimization and too much in that. As long as people queue in the showrooms to buy, who cares.
Old 23rd December 2011, 18:04   #18
BHPian

Overall - I like the cosmetic upgrade externally (grill, new headlamp cluster, fog lamps, rear lamps, etc.,).

Didn't like the "Silver color HU - which looks extremely cheap & dissapointed that the engine is exactly the same. Like everyone said - would have loved a bump up in power.

IMO - this car will rule this market segment until it retires (even XUV 5OO) voluntarily like how Qualis did .

BTW - What's the price tag? Hope it's not getting in the next segment pricing.

Last edited by maheshramaling : 23rd December 2011 at 18:08. Reason: Missed something to mention
Old 23rd December 2011, 18:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The entire car now resembles a Korean car of the 1990s - mismatched and out-of-place. If Toyota India were operating with the same philosophies of Toyota globally, they should NOT have introduced this "facelift" but stuck to the mature original till they were able to offer a meaningful upgrade.
The older version was also quirky looking when it was launched in 2003. The looks just grew on us.

Any price hike expected?
Old 23rd December 2011, 18:41   #20
BHPian

Toyota seems to have run out of design ideas for sure . The headlights look so boring and the innova doesnt have the sporty look anymore .

The slightly protruding headlights and taillights dont help either .

The silver touch on the centre console looks horrible and sooo out of place .

I hope they hire someone from Hyundai or Audi to learn some desgn .

The altis , the fortuner , the innova .. all have become so so so boring .

All car manufacturers are moving towards more sportier designs and eye catching stuff and Toyota seems to think that they'll be able to mint money just by being reliable .

Even the liva and etios were so horribly designed from the rear .

I dont even like the 2012 camry , it used to be my fav car , it was such an awesome car and they messed it up royally .

God save toyota
Old 23rd December 2011, 21:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The entire car now resembles a Korean car of the 1990s - mismatched and out-of-place. If Toyota India were operating with the same philosophies of Toyota globally, they should NOT have introduced this "facelift" but stuck to the mature original till they were able to offer a meaningful upgrade.
Right. The aggressive front is out of place for such a meek looking van like vehicle. Rear is too bland. Side profile is featureless and does not suit a 10+ vehicle. The only thing going for it is RELIABILITY. And that is a lot but not enough in this era.
Old 23rd December 2011, 21:50   #22
BHPian

In my opinion the present fog lamps look nice than this revised one, the new one seems too similar to the one found in Maruti Alto.

The HU looks like a aftermarket fitment, and the good one is that I still searched the rear end picture to locate the reverse camera and could'nt find one
Old 23rd December 2011, 21:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Toyota seems to have run out of design ideas for sure . The headlights look so boring and the innova doesnt have the sporty look anymore .
God save toyota
Toyota it seems, is following Maruti Suzuki when it comes to designing. Maruti is going very strong despite having Ritz, Dzire, A-Star in their stable. Now Toyota seems to have studied their pattern carefully and started following it as if it is a part of Recipe for Success.
Infact, if you look further Mahindra who is another success story is also fairing badly in looks aspect.
But the similarity between these three companies is their reliability and VFM tag.
But on the other hand Hyundai, who don't seem to have exciting petrol engines, can't afford to design their products badly. Glaring examples are Verna (old) and Elantra which were let down due to their looks factor. They have excellent VFM image but despite that products flopped.

Last edited by carwatcher : 23rd December 2011 at 22:00.
Old 23rd December 2011, 22:00   #24
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Seems like an half-hearted attempt to provide a facelift for a vehicle that did not need it in the first place. Did not like the head-lamps, grills, tail-lamps.

Just focussing on incrementally providing additional features every alternate year and throwing in a new colour once in a while would have been sufficient.
Old 23rd December 2011, 22:22   #25
BHPian

I like the older grill. This one for me looks out of place. Saw the fortuner update thread as well and even that isn't any good. Takes the aggressive character out. Well, that touchscreen HU seems to be out of place too. A 2 din after market HU would have a better integration than that! Have seen a 2 din Pioneer on my uncle's car and that looked so much better.

And that same interior as the fortuner. Come on Toyota. I know part sharing would increase your profit margins. But, Atleast give something different when people are paying close to 10 lakh more for a fortuner over an Innova.!

I somehow like the new corolla and that probably is the only car i like of all the Toyota's on the road in terms of looks. Missed opportunity.
Old 24th December 2011, 02:47   #26
BHPian

WHY !!

The innova looked brilliant the way it was , and they go on to do this to it !!

Whereas they have made the fortuner look better , Toyota seems to have gone the other way round with the Innova,

As it has been rightly compared , first they give the fortuner new features to set it apart from its younger sibling the innova and then copy down the features to the innova as well ?? What was Toyota thinking ??

All this would do is leave the prospective buyers unsatisfied and give them another reason to consider the XUV .
Old 24th December 2011, 02:57   #27
BHPian

Come on Toyota where is the automatic on the Innova. What is stopping you from killing the competition even further?! i dont understand this aversion of global auto players to offer automatics on vehicles for India.

GTO - I am asking more in hope than anything else but are there any safety features on the GX variant? Atleast ABS perhaps
Old 24th December 2011, 03:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

So this is the 2nd facelift of the Innova and nothing much has changed technically. What about the price tag for the V variant now?

Last edited by anachronix : 24th December 2011 at 03:22.
Old 24th December 2011, 07:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sure, the Innova will definitely sell even without this facelift and Toyota knows it very very well. But I echo the general thought in this thread. This is way too little coming this late.

At the very least, they should have tuned the engine for more power and torque and given better ratios on the gearbox. 200 Nm though made at an impressive 1400 rpm makes pathetic reading for an MUV at this price range.

I recently drove the V variant in the city for half a day and the gears 1-2-3 felt very short. The 4 -5 felt good in the city. I haven't driven the Innova on the highway.

Also, the upholstery fabric on the seats doesn't belong in a 10 Lakh+ vehicle. And it doesn't look like Toyota has fixed this with the facelift. Toyota should have taken this opportunity to give back to the market for lapping up the Innova right from the launch.
Old 24th December 2011, 18:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

The auto im told is around the corner but its a 4 speed:-(
The Head unit looks like it belongs to another car and is forced here. The bezel surrounding the HU is partially covering the air vents. What is it with Toyota? Too confident? Dont be. Xylo took a chip of the pie and the XUV has literally taken a slice.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks