Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2011, 19:55   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

The old Innova and the new Innova look like the last gen Qualis and the Sonalika Rhino. They have spoiled the handsome looking car. The interior plushness is gone for a toss and the car looks like someone has added an after-market kit to the old Innova.

And finally, they say it is going to be dearer by 50k approx.

All in all. I have a similar opinion about the Fortuner refresh.
Old 24th December 2011, 22:08   #32
BHPian

Take it or leave it

I dont think Toyota is concerned about your requirement for better power and looks. Their car will sell any way. Rationalization is to have a common component base and better cost efficiency. If want it, shell out Rs 50K more for the trouble to 'improve' it. If you are not happy, go buy a Mahindra or anything else.

At the end of the day, Toyota Innova will retain better resale value.
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2011, 07:47   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota seems to be integrating their vehicles with a family look. Both the new Fortuner & the new Innova are looking similar to the Altis / Camry (see head-lights). Personally, I prefer the earlier looks of both of these. With this change, the Fortuner has lost more in the looks dept than the Innova.

But, these are Toyota's, and will still sell.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2011, 08:22   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Toyota seems to be integrating their vehicles with a family look. Both the new Fortuner & the new Innova are looking similar to the Altis / Camry (see head-lights). Personally, I prefer the earlier looks of both of these. With this change, the Fortuner has lost more in the looks dept than the Innova.

But, these are Toyota's, and will still sell.
I agree. Moreover, the interiors (Dashboard to be specific) of the Innova and Fortunner are so similar that I was confused which thread I was browsing, Innova or Fortunner facelift! People pay 15/25 lakhs for cars with these interiors? hhm, Toyota it is.
Old 25th December 2011, 23:33   #35
PhX
BHPian

My very first reaction on seeing the front end was more like "wow, that looks nice!", probably for a couple of reasons. First, that it's not terrible, and it's a change from the millions of Innovas you see on the road. And second, because I'm not an SUV fan and don't really know/care about what the Fortuner looks like. But after reading the comments/replies in this thread, I'm not very excited about the Innova's facelift.
Old 26th December 2011, 08:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

@GTO - Off topic, but did you have a look at the New 2012 Camry also? If yes, could a topic for the same also be started on the same lines as this one.
Old 26th December 2011, 09:26   #37
BHPian

Honestly new Innova looks more matured in this new avataar. Now it does look lot more upmarket than Grande or Xylo and more in the Aria class.
Styling will take little getting used to but like most Toyotas, design is inoffensive.

Yeah the powertrain needed improvement
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 10:09   #38
BHPian

The old Innova looked much better, but somehow i feel this facelift wont affect sales chart unless there is significant increase in price. Just ask any cabbie about this machine..they never seem to run short of words to describe its highway performance..
BTW does anybody knows when this will be available in showrooms?
vivekkp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 12:48   #39

My Preview of the New & Updated Toyota Innova, made me understand that Toyota seems to be slowly incorporating the now standard Corporate Grill of Toyota garnished with Chrome across most models. It now essentially looks a bit like a stretched and pulled Corolla Altis with the Front and Side Fenders. The vehicle does look a bit of an overall mismatch due to the soft front end especially the mellowed down Headlamps and continued bulbous rear. Rest assured volumes to sell simply due to its sought after Quality and Reliability. The interiors too I would describe as boringly perfect. Near neatly laid out and exudes a built to last impression. Just what the doctor ordered and what else would a family man in this segment ask for?
Toyota continues to live upto its expectation and reputation earned worldwide of 'Buy It and Forget It'.
Old 26th December 2011, 17:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

I don't much like this new avatar,and several reasons why:

1. The front end totally reminds me of the boring american MUVs of the first half of the last decade. I think the earlier facelift was just perfect, this one is a step back in terms of looks.

2. The silver garnish is something Toyota needs to drop ASAP. Super cheap, absolutely incoherent with the rest of the interior, and from checking out a couple of old cars, these surfaces tend to wear out more quickly too. I know aftermarket systems that look a lot more OEM than this trash.

3. Will the Innova EVER get a mechanical upgrade? Or can we expect a different shade of wood, LEDs in the rear brake lamps, and some cheapo stickers ("sporty body graphics") in the 2013 facelift?

4. Where is the Automatic?
Old 26th December 2011, 17:40   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The auto im told is around the corner but its a 4 speed:-(
Are you sure? Did you get this information first hand from a dealer? Please do share whatever news you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
I don't much like this new avatar,and several reasons why:

4. Where is the Automatic?
Exactly. When do car manufacturers realize that there is a market for Automatic Diesels & overall more Automatics per se. Hope better sense prevails.
Old 26th December 2011, 20:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Are you sure? Did you get this information first hand from a dealer? Please do share whatever news you get.
Exactly. When do car manufacturers realize that there is a market for Automatic Diesels & overall more Automatics per se. Hope better sense prevails.
Yes a dealer told me that. He also said theres a chance they might be show casing it in the coming Auto Expo. He added that the same four speed box doing duty on the Fortuner will be used in the Innova with a modified ratios. Had the ratios been same, both would have got released side by side. They are looking to price it around 70k above the manual toota and will be selling it only in the top spec V version as they feel that at the lower base versions there will be no takers.

I think they are wrong, price it right and at the base versions and see that even the tourist operator will but the auto version, at least the owner drivers will.

India is moving towards automatic boxes, the proof is that almost every car now in the mid and high section is introducing a auto box. Its not far when the diesels will get equipped with autos too. See what happened to power steerings.The future is auto.
Old 26th December 2011, 20:33   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Yes a dealer told me that. He also said theres a chance they might be show casing it in the coming Auto Expo. He added that the same four speed box doing duty on the Fortuner will be used in the Innova with a modified ratios. Had the ratios been same, both would have got released side by side. They are looking to price it around 70k above the manual toota and will be selling it only in the top spec V version as they feel that at the lower base versions there will be no takers.

I think they are wrong, price it right and at the base versions and see that even the tourist operator will but the auto version, at least the owner drivers will.

India is moving towards automatic boxes, the proof is that almost every car now in the mid and high section is introducing a auto box. Its not far when the diesels will get equipped with autos too. See what happened to power steerings.
Thanks. Exactly what i anticipated. That will push the OTR to around 15L Mumbai which is a joke. But we can't just blame Toyota for not giving us an AT Variant in lower trims too, all manufacturers do the same. When i got my i10 in 2009, i was the lucky one to get the lowest trim (Magna) for a fantastic bargain at OTR 4.57L. They have discontinued the Magna* & now start at the Sportz. The Vento AT though i got for 10.61L. How i wish they provide a variant max till 12-12.5L OTR range. My cheque will reach their showroom before the car arrives there even if i cannot sell my Logan. Alas!

Quote:
The future is auto.
Bang on!

Regards,
Anil

Last edited by anilkalvani : 26th December 2011 at 20:36. Reason: *Added Magna
Old 26th December 2011, 21:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

Anil, the i10 AT starts at ~5.6 lacs OTR now, you were really lucky to get a Magna AT. As far as the Innova goes, I think I would probably be willing to live with a 4-speed Auto, even though I'd still feel stupid somewhere knowing an Altis owner just got a 7-speed Auto for almost the same money.
Old 26th December 2011, 22:20   #45
BHPian

Good that they did not mess around with it so much and its a namesake facelift. Its selling like anything why play with it. Instead they should put resources to the failed segment products like etios and match it with the quality that T holds.

Last edited by kaks15 : 26th December 2011 at 22:34.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed