Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2012, 18:06   #136
BHPian

Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

45 days have passed with my new ride. Over all, a great machine to ride on. Sedan-like driving comfort, enough power to move around (as long as you are not over enthusiastic), comfortable seating and the list goes on as most of us know. What I want to post here today are some of the things I didn't really like. Please let me know if this is just with my ride.

1. Noticeable panel gap between boot hatch and tail lamp units. An aging mold?

2. Panel gap between glove box lid and dash panel

3. Gaping slit between the beige and grey panels on the driver side dashboard.

4. .. and still wondering what size bottle can fit into the side pockets; because I tried with all 1 ltr ones I could set my hands on with different base sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift-panelgap1.jpg  

A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift-panelgap2.jpg  

A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift-panelgap3.jpg  

A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift-panelgap4.jpg  

A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift-sidepocket.jpg  

McTurbo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 19:16   #137
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the Innova at the auto expo in Chennai. The delivery times have drastically come down. When I was considering the Innova in Feb the waiting period was 6 months. Today, if spot booked the dealer promised delivery within a week! Ertiga effect perhaps? Don't know.
Old 14th July 2012, 22:24   #138
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post

4. .. and still wondering what size bottle can fit into the side pockets; because I tried with all 1 ltr ones I could set my hands on with different base sizes.
I finally settled for the Tupperware half liter bottles. There is some vibration from the bottles with a cold engine and on bad roads. But then, if anyone finds a better matching bottle, I'll switch too! A colleague said the Aquafina 1 liter bottle should fit. Tried that? I wouldn't prefer that for reuse though!
Old 16th July 2012, 18:58   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Checked out the Innova at the auto expo in Today, if spot booked the dealer promised delivery within a week! Ertiga effect perhaps? Don't know.
A week? Unbelievable...!!! of course unless someone has rejected a vehicle and it is already in his yard. I am sure you know, as a BHPian, how to check out to make sure that the dealer is not pushing something on you. Be watchful if you decide to go ahead.

Also, possible that some one cancelled an order for the same variant and color and you happen to be the lucky one.

As for my case, I had an order# on 8th Feb 2012 and got a call on March 17 that the vehicle has arrived. The "sales man - promise" was a max 45 days. (I could get my vehicle only on Mar 30th - that is a different story ).

My experience with the dealership has been "take it or leave"; though they say it very politely and nicely. An Auto Expo could be different; not sure.
Old 17th July 2012, 16:34   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Noticeable panel gap between boot hatch and tail lamp units. An aging mold?
2. Panel gap between glove box lid and dash panel
3. Gaping slit between the beige and grey panels on the driver side dashboard.
Yes the Moulds need to be maintained by filing and sharpening. Innova's primary market is the taxi segment, who are not so particular about quality & fit and finish.

Secondly, An all new Innova is planned in around 2 years time, which resembles the current Toyota Sienna sold in USA. Since The current dies and moulds will have to be discarded, Toyota is not uinvesting much in the already 7 year old moulds.
Old 17th July 2012, 17:36   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTurbo
My experience with the dealership has been "take it or leave"; though they say it very politely and nicely. An Auto Expo could be different; not sure.
Yes a week! I just bought an Ertiga as the Innova's price wasn't justified in my opinion. Congrats on your buy! The dealer was Lanson Toyota.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 17th July 2012 at 17:45.
Old 18th July 2012, 07:28   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
An all new Innova is planned in around 2 years time,
Yes, I was aware of this (of course from this forum); but 2 years was a long wait and my Ikon of 9 years wouldn't have made it

So the panel gaps are something I can live with, may be, as long as they don't start rattling up.
Old 19th July 2012, 19:02   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I was aware of this (of course from this forum); but 2 years was a long wait and my Ikon of 9 years wouldn't have made it

So the panel gaps are something I can live with, may be, as long as they don't start rattling up.
Yes - they would not rattle at all. That would be Toyota Build Quality. If they offer rattling products, people would settle for a cheaper indian make and not pay nearly 30% more for a Japanese Make.
Old 20th July 2012, 20:22   #144
BHPian

After the first service of my Vx (D), I notice that the idling rpm sticks to 1000 after about 5 minutes of riding. Before the service, it was around 850 - 900 range always. Worrying factor is, occasionally, it settles back to 850 while idling and then climbs back to 1000. Whatever engine mechanics I know (old school, of course) could not find a valid justification for that. Owners/experts... any opinions / suggestions?
Old 20th July 2012, 20:51   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After the first service of my Vx (D), I notice that the idling rpm sticks to 1000 after about 5 minutes of riding. Before the service, it was around 850 - 900 range always. Worrying factor is, occasionally, it settles back to 850 while idling and then climbs back to 1000. Whatever engine mechanics I know (old school, of course) could not find a valid justification for that. Owners/experts... any opinions / suggestions?
When you went for service, the A.S.S would have adjusted the throttle assembly. Open the bonnet and you would see the accelarator cable connect to a pivoting metal assembly. Take it back to the A.S.S and request them to adjust the same (anti clockwise) for lesser idling RPM. Its a 2 minute job for them, and would not even requried a job card.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 13:50   #146
BANNED

Quote:
Broadly, here's what I have observed in my Innova 2.5G. Idling speed after first start of the day (cold start) is around 1000 rpm. I've noticed it stays that way until I've driven about 2 to 3 kms, and until the engine temp needle settles somewhere between H and C. That's the ideal engine operating temp. After that, I've noticed that the idling speed is around 750 rpm when I stop at signals.

This is normal. The ECU does this based on coolant temperature, to optimise engine idling / vibrations / remaining on, etc.

Idling speed can also change when the A/c compressor cuts in. I think it just dips, but then comes back to what it was before the compressor cut in. This also is normal.

Others might have more details. I'm sure you'll find similar behavior in other cars - both petrol and diesel as well! Hope this helps.

Not sure if this was what you were noticing as change in idling speed. If idling speed variation is random, without any apparent reason, you must take it back to the service center to get it checked.

Last edited by sdmn : 21st July 2012 at 13:56. Reason: Edit
sdmn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 03:41   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

ALL one litre bottles will fit in please...just use a bit of push. And it is good to have a tight fit otherwise the bottles will rattle away to glory.

Quote:

They will NOT rattle. My car has seen 45k and some good assortment of countryside roads. It still feels put together the same way as it came.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 23rd July 2012 at 03:43.
Old 23rd July 2012, 20:30   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
... Idling speed after first start of the day (cold start) is around 1000 rpm. I've noticed it stays that way until I've driven about 2 to 3 kms, and until the engine temp needle settles somewhere between H and C. That's the ideal engine operating temp. After that, I've noticed that the idling speed is around 750 rpm when I stop at signals.

This is normal. The ECU does this based on coolant temperature, to optimise engine idling / vibrations / remaining on, etc.
Thanks. If it was behaving this way, I would not have been very concerned (was like that till the first service). What actually happens is random. For instance, today morning on my way to office, it was behaving perfectly well; nicely settling down at 750 at signals and stop and go traffic. But in the evening, on my way back, it was mostly at 1000 at the stops.

Called the service manager last Friday and asked what should be the correct idling rpm. He said 750 and I continued that after the service it is mostly at 1000. He said that I should not be worried as it is supposed to be between 750 and 1000. I offered to bring the vehicle over for a check and he said nothing can be adjusted as it is totally controlled by an on-board microchip/computer.

So going by the advises and suggestions here, I will watch it closely for another few days and then take a call. A friend also suggested not to let the service center folks experiment with it (one leading to another?).
Old 23rd July 2012, 23:00   #149
BANNED

Quote:
What actually happens is random. For instance, today morning on my way to office, it was behaving perfectly well; nicely settling down at 750 at signals and stop and go traffic. But in the evening, on my way back, it was mostly at 1000 at the stops.
Interesting! Wondering why that might be happening. You're sure on the way back you looked after the engine had warmed up?

Agree with your thought of not letting them meddle with it.
Old 23rd July 2012, 23:09   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing can be adjusted as it is totally controlled by an on-board microchip/computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
Interesting! Wondering why that might be happening. You're sure on the way back you looked after the engine had warmed up? Agree with your thought of not letting them meddle with it.
Guys- I think we CAN adjust the same manually. Agreed that ECU controls it but definetly adjustable manually. You might want to check with another Toyota Dealer on the same.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks